IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Micro Focus Service Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Micro Focus Service Manager is #18 ranked solution in top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools and #20 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software. PeerSpot users give Micro Focus Service Manager an average rating of 6 out of 10. Micro Focus Service Manager is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: Micro Focus Service Manager vs ServiceNow. Micro Focus Service Manager is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
Micro Focus Service Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Micro Focus Service Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Micro Focus Service Manager?

Service Manager on SaaS provides you with a cloud-based, industry leading IT Service Management solution.

Micro Focus Service Manager was previously known as HPE ITSM, HPE Service Manager.

Micro Focus Service Manager Customers

resultspositive, Globicon

Micro Focus Service Manager Video

Micro Focus Service Manager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Micro Focus Service Manager pricing:
  • "I would say that identify your requirements and pay for the support to implement and test those requirements, and then hope that you did a good job because the cost of their service is fairly expensive."
  • "Micro Focus Service Manager is a little cheaper than other options. You have to pay a monthly subscription fee."
  • "The license is not cheap."
  • Micro Focus Service Manager Reviews

PeterJansson - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head of Strategic Ecosystems and Accounts for Pedab Group at Pedab
    Reseller
    Streamlines productivity and is able to handle a big number of enterprise-wide service needs
    • "The solution will streamline productivity and also improve automation. That would bring efficiency as well the ability to handle a big number of enterprise-wide service needs. Productivity and collaborative capabilities are some of the key benefits."
    • "I think the best recommendation to Micro Focus would be to increase awareness and the marketing for this product."

What is our primary use case?

I think this solution is for complex needs and where there is a need for automation and high integration to other systems. As far as I know, they try to address not only the IT needs, but the service desk needs for companies also outside IT. If you have customers signing up for different professional services a company would provide, then there needs to be a service desk solution as well. I think they are addressing a wider audience than only IT. In those cases, I think that would be a very good solution, compared to others on the market that are a bit more niche or specialized in their domains. We actually don't have Service Manager installed for our own purpose or for providing services to customers. We are more in a resale mode of the technology, rather than using it ourselves. We haven't made any actual sales now for some time with this particular product. We have a partner that's been buying directly from Micro Focus, and I don't remember if they've done any sales recently, but for our sales, we haven't sold Service Manager yet. It's been part of the portfolio, and we've been talking about it and there's been some interest. I think you can install this on-prem. We have partners who have been managing this, or providing this as a managed service to their clients, but then it's been the partners that have been providing the cloud service. In my mind, it's more of an on-prem or private cloud installation, but I'm not 100% sure. In our role, we work with resellers in the Nordic region to Micro Focus. We are a partner to Micro Focus. We're a distributor. We work with the partners and resellers in the region, but we are a partner too. For our amount of customers, we have somewhere between 50 to a 100 in the Nordics. So in Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Denmark, we have around 50 to a 100 employees.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution will streamline productivity and also improve automation. That would bring efficiency as well the ability to handle a big number of enterprise-wide service needs. Productivity and collaborative capabilities are some of the key benefits. I think that goes in general for service management, but for this tool in particular, I think those are the benefits that customers would be looking into.

What needs improvement?

I think the best recommendation to Micro Focus would be to increase awareness and the marketing for this product. I'm not really sure how intensely they are developing this solution during the last year, but I'm assuming that this is still a strategic offering for Micro Focus. Therefore, I think they should be focusing on creating awareness and increasing marketing knowledge for this product. I think the technology is more than capable, but I think many customers don't know or are not considering it. That's my gut feeling. Something that could be improved is simplifying the area and providing a best practice insulation. Having a modern interface is always important.

We've been working with Micro Focus since 2009. I think this product was acquired from HP three or four years ago, so I guess the actual answer would be since then because the ITSM solution that HP software had was acquired by Micro Focus in 2018.
    Micro Focus Service Manager
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus Service Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a product that's been around for many years. It's very robust, especially when you get it up and running and get integrations done, et cetera. I don't have personal experience on that, but that's what I hear and that's what I've taken from the collective input I have received.

Scalability is a big plus for this platform, not only within IT, but if you have a complex IT environment, I think this is one of the solutions for you to consider.

I have not personally worked with technical support, but I hear that there's no problem there.

I've heard that it's been fairly complex, but I haven't done it myself. I'm more on the business side, so I haven't done it myself. But there are so many capabilities. Like with SAP, it's very capable, but it becomes complex when you have lots of capabilities. I'm not sure if they've simplified things over the last 12 to 18 months. When I was evaluating this, I heard even from some of the skilled partners that this was considered to be fairly complex, capable, but complex. I think that if the right partner is involved, installation could be pretty fast. You could have this up and running if you buy this as a managed service within a very short time, maybe within days, because that's what we talked about with our partner. This could be deployed pretty quickly if you're working with the right resources around you.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.  This is really a capable solution. It works for all kinds of needs and dimensions you might have in a project. My advice is to find a partner who can advise you, but also has experience from installing these types of projects. Normally, technology is not super different, in terms of user interface. It's important to have someone who understands you, and can implement this and support you as you get the processes and the way of working going. I think that's important.  Work closely with the vendors of course, when you're assessing what the issue is, but also find a partner that has the experience and the hands-on experience on how to not only install the solution, but how to get the value out of these projects by implementing in a way where you get the organizations adopted and customers. For ServiceNow, but especially for Micro Focus, there are some partners who could be helping out and guiding you a lot.
    David Babcock - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Allows us to track and identify trends, but is not user-friendly for knowledge management
    • "Incident management is the most valuable because we're using it to manage tickets for an accounting system. With the reports that are available, it allows us to track and identify trends at the type and item level. It also helps us in managing the workload better than what we had in Remedy, which is what we were using before 2013."
    • "We aren't able to take emails that come in and turn them into tickets, especially when it comes to attachments. When an email has an attachment, like a screenshot, it is a very cumbersome process, and it does not work very well. I shouldn't have been paying technicians to cut and paste attachments from an email into the ticketing system. It should do that automatically. Other solutions are able to do that. This is something that needs to be improved. Test manager and knowledge management areas are probably amongst the worst parts of this solution. We try to use this solution for knowledge management, but it is not user-friendly. Therefore, it has limited ROI as you need to spend time to try and fully capitalize on the knowledge management system."

What is our primary use case?

We predominantly use it for incident management, change management, and knowledge management.

What is most valuable?

Incident management is the most valuable because we're using it to manage tickets for an accounting system.

With the reports that are available, it allows us to track and identify trends at the type and item level. It also helps us in managing the workload better than what we had in Remedy, which is what we were using before 2013.

What needs improvement?

We aren't able to take emails that come in and turn them into tickets, especially when it comes to attachments. When an email has an attachment, like a screenshot, it is a very cumbersome process, and it does not work very well. I shouldn't have been paying technicians to cut and paste attachments from an email into the ticketing system. It should do that automatically. Other solutions are able to do that. This is something that needs to be improved.

I have been using Micro Focus Service Manager since 2013.

If you are talking about the performance from a software perspective, then we have had no issues with that.

Scalability is probably fairly good if you are willing to pay for it. It can be very pricey.

We have a worldwide system, but only about 120 people are inputting, tracking, or managing through Micro Focus Service Manager. From an ITIL perspective, we have people from all three levels using it, that is, level one, level two, and level three. We have administrators who can go in and back out and create types, items, systems, and things like that. Everybody else is pretty much just a regular user. They don't have a whole lot of roles within Micro Focus Service Manager.

When we started, the support was great because we were paying for it. Once we stopped paying for their subject matter experts, it was not stellar by any stretch. At the moment, I would probably rate them a four out of ten.

We were using Remedy, and it wasn't robust enough in our opinion. We wanted an integrated system not only for incident management but also for change management and testing. Remedy didn't provide that at the time, and Micro Focus did.

It was complex, but that was not all Micro Focus' fault. It was the fault of too many users trying to have their little niche specifically programmed into Micro Focus Service Manager.

I would say that identify your requirements and pay for the support to implement and test those requirements, and then hope that you did a good job because the cost of their service is fairly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Micro Focus Service Manager a five out of ten because it does what it needs to do. It is not bad from that perspective, but it clearly has room for improvement.

Micro Focus Service Manager
    June 2022
    607,332 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    MEKKAB Raouf - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Technology Service Manager & Technology Integration DevOps at Djezzy
    Excellent pricing with great change management and service management capabilities
    • "The solution is simple to set up."
    • "I don't see anything lacking."

What is most valuable?

The configuration management tools are great. We're using the CMS and it's very valuable.

The change management and service management are the most valuable modules that we use here in our company.

The solution is simple to set up.

The solution offers good stability.

Technical support is helpful.

The pricing is okay.

They also offer a mobile version, which is quite helpful.

What needs improvement?

I don't see anything lacking. They have a very complete solution. They have all modules needed, including portfolio, procurement, financial, and purchasing modules.

We have been using Service Manager since 2009.

It's a very stable solution. You can customize it or do anything to resolve any problem - including security vulnerabilities - which are immediately resolved in Micro Focus. They have good support if you do run into any stability issues.

We are a telecom company. 80% of our staff are technical staff. All employees use it for tasks or for complaints, et cetera. We have about 2,800 people using the product right now.

Support has been very helpful and responsive. We are satisfied with the level of attention on offer.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It is very easy to use and set up. When it comes to deployment, there are two kinds of deployment. They improved it by having a cordless version with Service Manager 9.5 and 9.6. SMAX is also a cordless platform, so it's not a problem to deploy Service Manager.

They have a very flexible license system. We don't have a problem with it.

On a scale from one to five, with five being expensive, I would rate it at a two. It's pretty reasonable in terms of price.

Before we did our renewal agreement last year, we did a lot of comparison shopping with other solutions and looked at prices. We are very happy with Micro Focus Service Manager. In fact, other professional solutions cost two or three times for the same license.

What other advice do I have?

We started with version 9.3, and now we're on 9.6 with the full solution, including the CMS.

They have lots of options. They propose a full solution for technology and IT service management. We are a telecom company. We are a leader in the market, and therefore, we need to have all details about our own environment and assets. So far, Micro Focus answers all our needs.

I'd advise new users to go directly to the SMAX solution, the last, last version of Service Manager. If they are a technical company or information technology company with engineers and developers, they can use it on-premise. If they don't have such competence in the company, they can ask for the solution on the cloud. It is easily available on Microsoft, Amazon, or Google clouds.

I'd rate the product nine out of ten.

Senior Consultant Project Management & Transition at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    It does what it should, but it's quite outdated.
    • "Service Manager does what it should, but it's quite outdated."
    • "Service Manager is at the end of its life. The architecture, performance, and look are all way behind."

What is our primary use case?

Service Manager is for incidents and service requests.

What is most valuable?

Service Manager does what it should, but it's quite outdated.

What needs improvement?

Service Manager is at the end of its life. The architecture, performance, and look are all way behind.

I've been using Micro Focus Service Manager for almost a decade.

Service Manager works for our size, but it has limits, like search and attachments. It has some architectural disadvantages, like an inability to search attachment contents and stuff like that. We have tens of thousands of users.

Micro Focus support is fine. I work in internal support, so I don't go deep enough into Service Manager to say much about vendor support.

We also use ServiceNow and Service Manager, but they occupy different lanes in the company. One is the classic IT service management and the other is for managing non-IT services.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Micro Focus Service Manager four out of 10. I wouldn't recommend it. I would suggest ServiceNow. There may be solutions better suited for smaller companies. There are always alternatives because the architecture isn't terribly complex.

The architecture is the same across solutions, and everything is linked. There are no modules to be bought from some other company in the past and integrated. ServiceNow also its disadvantages, but if you compare it to Service Manager, I can safely say ServiceNow is the future and Service Manager is the past.

Shrikant Pillay - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Management Consultant at Tata Consultancy
    A cost-effective service desk solution
    • "Micro Focus Service Manager is fine. It's a good solution for small accounts with minimal reporting. Micro Focus is a good option because you don't have to worry about the budget."
    • "Micro Focus Service Manager is not very great. It would be better if it had more features. When it comes to features, BMC tops the chart. When it comes to usage, people use BMC more."

What is most valuable?

Micro Focus Service Manager is fine. It's a good solution for small accounts with minimal reporting. Micro Focus is a good option because you don't have to worry about the budget.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Micro Focus Service Manager for a few years.

Micro Focus Service Manager is a stable solution.

Micro Focus Service Manager is scalable up to a certain point.

Technical support is okay.

The initial setup is straightforward, and it took us about two to three months to implement this solution.

Compared to BMC, Micro Focus Service Manager is coming out a little cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think I will recommend  Micro Focus Service Manager to potential users. But if the customer wants it and it fits the requirement, then it's okay to go ahead with it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Micro Focus Service Manager an eight.

Hybrid Cloud
    Farah Ben Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
    DLO Veritas Backup solution Project Manager at Tunisie Telecom
    Is easy to set up, but customization needs improvement

What is most valuable?

Sometimes, customization is simple. The version we are using now has a nice interface.

What needs improvement?

Customization can be difficult at times because scripting is often required.

I've been using this solution for ten years.

Generally, it's stable, but sometimes we see behavior that we cannot understand.

It's scalable, but the scalability depends on the performance of the service. For example, if we need to extend the solution, we would need to review the configuration and performance of the platform before extending the solution.

It is easy to set up. Deployment can be done in a week or two weeks at most.

The license is not cheap.

Micro Focus Service Manager is a good platform, but ServiceNow is better because it's more flexible and easier, and it provides a lot of features and functions out of the box, ready to use.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Micro Focus Service Manager at seven on a scale from one to ten.

Download our free Micro Focus Service Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022