Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Backup Administrator Individual Contributor at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
An automated backup and recovery software with an easily manageable file system backup, but the scheduler setup could be better
  • "The normal file system backup is easy to manage, and our success rate is quite high."
  • "The scheduler setup could be better. We are facing some issues scheduling the job based on our requirements."

What is our primary use case?

We use Micro Focus Data Protector to back up all our infra servers, plus file share and some VM backup.

What is most valuable?

The normal file system backup is easy to manage, and our success rate is quite high.

What needs improvement?

The scheduler setup could be better. We are facing some issues scheduling the job based on our requirements. Furthermore, if we want to change something, we have to run it through all the policies one by one. They don't have a central place to modify and apply it to all the policies. The virtual environment backup could also be better.

I have been using Micro Focus Data Protector for four years.

Micro Focus Data Protector
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Micro Focus Data Protector. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable solution, but every upgrade is such a headache. For example, we currently have to upgrade to a new version, but somehow the connection to storage isn't happening because there are issues with the library.

Micro Focus Data Protector is scalable. It's quite simple as we can just add on more media to fulfill all the requirements. Right now, a few thousand people use this solution in our organization.

We had a few cases through email, but one pain point is that they always go through to level one, go to level two, and so on. They spend a lot of time explaining what's going on before the problem is solved.

Previously, we used Veritas Backup Exec. So, compared to Veritas Backup Execs, it's a little bit cheaper.

The initial setup is quite straightforward, like Master Media Server.

Our licensing is on a capacity basis.

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't recommend Micro Focus Data Protector to be used as a cloud backup. But for on-premise and file share use, it's quite okay.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Micro Focus Data Protector a seven.

Director at Random Group Ltd
I like that it keeps a separate catalog of our data.
  • "I like that Micro Focus keeps a separate catalog of our data."
  • "Many of our users complain about the GUI. You still need to rely on the command line interface. Because it originated as a Unix system, Data Protector is still a command line-driven solution, which makes it seem rather dated compared to systems that are built around a GUI from day one. It doesn't affect the functionality, but some people don't find it user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We don't use Micro Focus widely. It's used as a backup-to-tape system. Overall, we have about five users because a couple of our clients use it as well.

What is most valuable?

I like that Micro Focus keeps a separate catalog of our data.

What needs improvement?

Many of our users complain about the GUI. You still need to rely on the command line interface. Because it originated as a Unix system, Data Protector is still a command line-driven solution, which makes it seem rather dated compared to systems that are built around a GUI from day one. It doesn't affect the functionality, but some people don't find it user-friendly.

I have been using Micro Focus for almost 20 years.

Data Protector is stable.

Data Protector is highly scalable.

We don't use Micro Focus support often, but it has been pretty good when we needed it.

We also use Acronis Backup, but it's hard for me to compare because I don't have as much experience with Acronis relative to Data Protector. It's also one of those difficult situations because we haven't really pushed Data Protector to its limits. It has a lot of functionality that we don't use. We tend to use more of Acronis' functionality, so it would be unfair to compare them.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward because it was historically a Unix system. It takes about half a day to install.

Data Protector has an annual license, and it's reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Micro Focus Data Protector eight out of 10. It's a highly stable solution that does the job. To use this product, you must comfortable with a command line interface, and many people today can't deal with anything that's not GUI. You need to be in control of the command line to use it properly.

Micro Focus Data Protector
September 2022
634,325 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Takashi Asano - PeerSpot reviewer
Sales Engineer at Palo Alto Networks
Reseller
Protects information, easy to deploy, and reasonably priced
  • "What we find most valuable in Micro Focus Data Protector is that it provides Japanese data protection, for example, it protects information such as the full Japanese name, address, etc."
  • "We have a lot of requests for the Micro Focus team, particularly in terms of the Japanese data pattern, as it's not as good now. The Japanese data pattern accuracy of the Micro Focus Data Protector needs to be improved because there are a lot of false negatives and false positives. We are currently testing this and our product team has been communicating with the Micro Focus team."

What is most valuable?

What we find most valuable in Micro Focus Data Protector is that it provides Japanese data protection, for example, it protects information such as the full Japanese name, address, etc.

What needs improvement?

We have a lot of requests for the Micro Focus team, particularly in terms of the Japanese data pattern, as it's not as good now. The Japanese data pattern accuracy of the Micro Focus Data Protector needs to be improved because there are a lot of false negatives and false positives. We are currently testing this and our product team has been communicating with the Micro Focus team.

What we'd like to see in the next release of the solution is better compatibility with other products, apart from a more accurate Japanese data pattern.

I've been dealing with Micro Focus Data Protector for two years.

Micro Focus Data Protector, in terms of stability, is not so bad.

I'm not sure how scalable Micro Focus Data Protector is because the DLP service goes through my company's SaaS product.

There's no need for me to contact technical support for Micro Focus Data Protector because my company's product team is there to answer my questions.

I didn't use a different solution before using Micro Focus Data Protector. It is a first for me.

The deployment for Micro Focus Data Protector was easy.

Pricing for Micro Focus Data Protector is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

My company and its customers use Micro Focus Data Protector, though I'm not sure which version of the solution is being used. It's deployed on the public cloud and via a SaaS service.

My rating for Micro Focus Data Protector is eight out of ten.

I'm a reseller of Micro Focus Data Protector.

Head of IT-Infrastructure at a construction company with 11-50 employees
The agents are deployed to the machines in a straightforward way
  • "Data Protector is quite simple and easy to deploy. The deployment is always the same. It's on a server, and the agents are deployed to the machines in a straightforward way. We have two engineers who deploy and manage all our backup solutions."
  • "The online backups of Office 365 have room for improvement. This is now available for the Exchange Online part of Office 365, but we're still waiting for SharePoint Online, Teams, etc. We know that it's coming, but it takes time."

What is our primary use case?

We have two different systems. We use Microsoft Azure Backup for VM machines and Micro Focus for our file server, database, and cloud backups, like Exchange Online and so forth.

What needs improvement?

The online backups of Office 365 have room for improvement. This is now available for the Exchange Online part of Office 365, but we're still waiting for SharePoint Online, Teams, etc. We know that it's coming, but it takes time.

We have been using Data Protector for more than 20 years. We started using it when it was an HP solution, but then Micro Focus acquired it. It was always the same product.

Data Protector is highly stable.

Data Protector is scalable.

I've never heard any complaints about Micro Focus support, so I think it's okay.

Data Protector is quite simple and easy to deploy. The deployment is always the same. It's on a server, and the agents are deployed to the machines in a straightforward way. We have two engineers who deploy and manage all our backup solutions.

We switched from device licensing to volume-based licensing for Data Protector.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Micro Focus Data Protector eight out of 10. We chose Data Protector years ago because it supported all the systems and databases we needed. Other software packages covered a special range of products but didn't offer broad support. This was a long time ago, so I don't know the situation in the market today.

Microsoft Azure
Sr. Manager - IT Systems at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and scalable with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a backup. It basically backs up all of my premium items.

What is most valuable?

It's a good product that's pretty easy to use.

The solution is scalable.

The initial setup is rather straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if they could improve their level of support.

We've been using the solution for eight years or so. It's been a while.

The product is scalable. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We have less than 100 people on the solution right now.

The level of support is lacking. They need to step up the level of service they offer. We aren't 100% satisfied. They are friendly, however, they aren't really flexible.

The installation is pretty straightforward and simple. It's not too complex or overly difficult. A company wouldn't have any trouble setting it up.

The deployment is fast and likely you can have it up and running in a day.

You don't need a big technical team to handle deployment and maintenance. You might just need two people who are engineers.

I handled the implementation by myself. I did not need the help of any integrators or consultants at the time.

The product is reasonably priced. It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're currently using version 10 of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's pretty good.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
Decent backup solution that supports UNIX servers but lacks competitive advantage

What is our primary use case?

I am a manager at a mid-size non-profit and we use this to backup HPE UNIX servers.

What is most valuable?

I like that it supports HPE UNIX servers since many backup solutions do not - this is the main reason why we chose this solution.

What needs improvement?

I do not think that this solution is relevant in the current IT market. They have not upgraded their features and functionalities which makes it difficult for them to remain competitive.

I have been using this solution for about fifteen years.

It is a stable solution, we have not experienced any bugs over the past fifteen or so years.

I would say that it is scalable.

Support could be better. Right now, for us, their preferred communication method is via email which takes quite a bit of time to resolve even small issues.

The initial setup in general was simple. However, if you want encryption, you need to install something else, and there are other models for reporting. This can get a little complex since it is not a single solution that gives everything out-of-the-box.

We have four or five guys from our backup admin team who work in here regularly.

The solution was implemented by a partner of Micro Focus and it took about one to two days to setup for our mid-size company.

There is a perpetual license involved in addition to support which needs to be renewed annually.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
We use it to back up to VTLs without any problem
  • "Micro Focus Data Protector's most valuable feature is its interaction with the fiber share. It is easy to use, we use it to back up without any problem to VTLs, and can use the Fiber Channel that is still the TCP."
  • "In terms of what can be improved, I would say integrations with MongoDB. We use MongoDB and we need to go to scripts to do backups. We need more integrations."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to back up databases, file systems, servers and information in the database.

What is most valuable?

Micro Focus Data Protector's most valuable feature is its interaction with the fiber share. It is easy to use, we use it to back up without any problem to VTLs, and can use the Fiber Channel that is still the TCP.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, I would say integrations with MongoDB. We use MongoDB and we need to go to scripts to do backups. We need more integrations.

The feature I would like to see in the next release is only more integration with new databases.

I have been using Micro Focus Data Protector for about 20 years.

We are currently using the latest update in some platforms. We are using version 10.

Its performance and stability are okay.

In terms of maintenance, we only need to do updates when we receive information. Not more than.

Micro Focus Data Protector is an easily scalable solution.

We have six people in my company using it.

The initial setup was simple for me because I am experienced and have used Data Protector for many years. It takes one hour maximum.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Micro Focus Data Protector to other users.

On a scale of one to ten, compared with other solutions, I would give it a nine.

Yilak Yigezu - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at united system integrators
Good dashboards, easy implementation, and scalable
  • "The dashboards in Micro Focus Data Protector are very good. They are similar to the dashboards in Veeam Backup & Replication."
  • "The Micro Focus Data Protector support is not as good as Veeam Backup & Replication's support."

What is our primary use case?

Micro Focus Data Protector is used for data backups.

What is most valuable?

The dashboards in Micro Focus Data Protector are very good. They are similar to the dashboards in Veeam Backup & Replication.

I have been using Micro Focus Data Protector for approximately 16 years.

Micro Focus Data Protector is highly stable.

I have found Micro Focus Data Protector to be scalable.

The Micro Focus Data Protector support is not as good as Veeam Backup & Replication's support.

I have used Veritas and Veeam Backup & Replication.

The solution is easy to implement.

They have two types of licensing, one is for storage capacity and the other is client licensing. The capacity licensing here is a bit expensive.

If Micro Focus Data Protector has a universal license for every aspect of the operation, there would be no limit to us. For example, they have a different license for Exchange, Oracle, and SQL. You have to have an online license, it can be an expensive adventure.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Micro Focus Data Protector an eight out of ten.

Download our free Micro Focus Data Protector Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022