McAfee Web Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

McAfee Web Gateway is the #20 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. PeerSpot users give McAfee Web Gateway an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. McAfee Web Gateway is most commonly compared to Skyhigh Security: McAfee Web Gateway vs Skyhigh Security. McAfee Web Gateway is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 73% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is McAfee Web Gateway?

Organizations can do more over the web today than ever before. Today’s web offers a
dynamic, real-time user experience. However, the web has also become a more dangerous
place, with increasingly sophisticated attacks released every day. McAfee® Web Gateway
is a critical defense for any organization to protect against emerging malware threats. It
empowers organizations with secure internet access while greatly reducing risk through an
advanced security approach that combines powerful, local intent analysis with cloud-based
protection powered by McAfee Labs.

McAfee Web Gateway Customers

Prodeb, Vidant Health, WEG Industries

McAfee Web Gateway Video

McAfee Web Gateway Pricing Advice

What users are saying about McAfee Web Gateway pricing:
  • "Some of our clients have a perpetual license and pay additional support yearly."
  • "Pricing is not out of reach."
  • "There is an annual licensing cost to use McAfee Web Gateway. The purchasing of licensing can be difficult for the government sector."
  • McAfee Web Gateway Reviews

Milos Tolpa - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Engineer at FormatPC
    Reseller
    Secure, stable, and well integrated
    • "It's a great product with solid features."
    • "The documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for controlling web content that the users are accessing. It's very good in case situations where you have the use of a VPN connection.

You can control your employees when they are in the office and out of the office, without using a VPN in the same fashion.

The on-premise solution will control them when they are on the corporate network, and when they're off the corporate network, the cloud's gateway will control them. They have the same policies.

What is most valuable?

It's a great product with solid features.

It's a security appliance and it is quite secure.

They are quite well integrated.

What needs improvement?

The documentation could be improved. The documentation could be more detailed with more examples of usage.

We have been selling McAfee Web Gateway for four years.

Deployment can be on-premises or on the cloud.

November 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Skyhigh Security, Cisco and others in Secure Web Gateways (SWG). Updated: November 2022.
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is a very stable solution.

I don't have any issues with the scalability. You have to do the sizing before they implement it afterward.

You have other solutions that have to increase the volume of usage.

We have several large clients that are using it.

We are satisfied with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

If the client has a lot of demands and depending on their structure or the client's requests, it can be complex to configure.  In general, it is straightforward and easy to configure.

Some of our clients have a perpetual license and pay additional support yearly.

We don't have any customers that are using subscriptions yet.

I wouldn't say that it is an expensive solution but it's not cheap. We pay for what it's worth.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate McAfee Web Gateway a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Nadeem Syed - PeerSpot reviewer
    CEO at Haniya Technologies
    Strong URL spam filtering features

What is our primary use case?

We have 2 customers using McAfee Web Gateway. It is very useful as a complement to endpoint security. It is used to monitor incoming and outgoing traffic, as well as production.

What is most valuable?

McAfee has a very strong URL spam filtering feature.

What needs improvement?

McAfee Web Gateway has two kinds of solutions, one is for on-premises and the other is virtual. Their virtual solution is not as strong as their on-premises solution.

I am a reseller and partner of McAfee. I have been using McAfee Web Gateway for about 5 or 6 years.

It is a very stable solution.

McAfee offers good support.

The initial setup is not straightforward. You must know technology and networking. It would also be helpful if you have some expertise with McAfee products. If you have one person who is certified on McAfee products you can do the setup yourself.

It took approximately 3 days to deploy and implement 2 boxes on-premises. It then takes 5 to 10 days to fine-tune it. In total it takes about two weeks to set up.

Compared to other solutions and their prices, it is a bit on the costly side. However, it is not out of reach. Our customers pay a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

Although it is costly, I would recommend this solution to anyone. I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

November 2022
    655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    David Ferreira - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Engineer at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    Easy to manage and configure, and useful for web filtering
    • "The stability is the most valuable feature. We haven't had any issues with the product."
    • "They could be integrated with CASB. I think normally McAfee has this solution in the cloud, but for us the best is on-premise."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for web filtering.

I integrate and manage the solution. It's deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to configure. It's not hard to manage day to day.

What needs improvement?

They could be integrated with CASB. I think normally McAfee has this solution in the cloud, but for us the best is on-premise.

Perhaps in this year's configuration, something that could be added is the SSL inspection.

I have been working with this solution for eight years.

The scalability is fine. We work with Fortinet too and Fortinet doesn't work like McAfee. McAfee does more than Fortinet.

Technical support is really great. I would rate them 4 out of 5.

Setup is a little bit complex but I think the environment is complex. We needed help from McAfee and another integrator.

I would rate the complexity of setup 4 out of 5.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

My advice is to discuss your goals before you install the solution because you can do a lot with McAfee Web Gateway.

Yovanny Amariles - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Security Leader at Alcaldía de Medellín
    Beneficial anti-malware but reporting could improve
    • "The most valuable features of McAfee Web Gateway are anti-malware, reports, and powerful categorization of web pages."
    • "McAfee Web Gateway could improve the reporting. We have the reporting on a separate server and sometimes the database becomes full. These aspects could improve."

What is our primary use case?

McAfee Web Gateway is used as a proxy gateway in our company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of McAfee Web Gateway are anti-malware, reports, and powerful categorization of web pages.

What needs improvement?

I have been using McAfee Web Gateway for approximately five years.

We have approximately 7,000 users using this solution in my organization.

We implemented McAfee Web Gateway with a partner.

There is an annual licensing cost to use McAfee Web Gateway. The purchasing of licensing can be difficult for the government sector.

There should be a hybrid form of a license model. For example, if I have a user working remotely and another one on-premise, it would be wonderful to have control in the cloud and on-premise.

What other advice do I have?

I rate McAfee Web Gateway a seven out of ten.

Download our free Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Report and find out what your peers are saying about McAfee, Skyhigh Security, Cisco, and more!
    Updated: November 2022