IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series?

To meet enterprise storage requirements, ThinkSystem All-Flash DM Series systems provide high performance, superior flexibility, and best-in-class data management. DM Series runs on ONTAP data management software, which gives customers unified storage across block-and-file workloads. It accelerates your business while improving the efficiency, flexibility, and reliability of your IT operations.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series was previously known as ThinkSystem DM Series.

Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series Video

Archived Lenovo ThinkSystem DM Series Reviews (more than two years old)

Fatih Altunbas - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Solutions Architect at nds Netzwerksysteme GmbH
Reliable, but has a difficult licensing process and needs more storage
  • "The solution offers very good reliable systems and storage for our clients."
  • "The licensing model needs to be revisited. It needs to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our customers. When they have old hardware and infrastructure and need to update them, we set up the Lenovo systems for them.

What is most valuable?

Lenovo offers a good variaty of Storage Systems. Starts with DS, then DE and the most sophisticated version - DM-Series. When Workload is the question this Storagesystem will help our costumers to solve these issues. In the AllFlash variation of this System Lenovo gives the 1 3 to 1 Promise. Means you buy only the third part of calculated Storage, because the System compresses and deduplicates in a extreme good ratio.  The second part, as Lenovo partners, we always look there strategic routes so we can imagine where the way is going along - also the contact to the technicians and to the Lenovo Partnermanagement gives us the good feeling for their products and their visions - so we can translate them to our customers, who needs not only reliable systems but also a long term vision where the journey will move.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model needs to be revisited. It needs to be simplified. When using flash, users need to calculate the correct combination of SSDs to ensure the correct amount is provided to the customer. If a customer, for example, needs 30 terabytes of disc space or flash storage, a lot of testing and calculations need to happen to see if this is possible to get to with just flash storage. The solution needs to offer more storage tools so clients can scale while the costs can be kept low. Lenovo DM offers a costing tool, however, it could be simplified a bit more. If it was easier to use, the costing could happen sooner and everything could get to market faster.

We advice our Customers to use the solution for one year now.
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Lenovo, NetApp, Dell Technologies and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: June 2022.
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We haven't had any problems with the solution. It's quite reliable. We haven't had bugs or glitches. There haven't been crashes.

We've never had issues with scaling the solution. We have customers with 400 users or more, and customers that have 150 users. However, it's not the number of users that decide how the solution scales, it's the workload.

Currently, the initial setup is a bit complex. There's a new DM series in stock. It's a bit difficult to get the proper experience from Lenovo directly in terms of getting to their technicians.  The last time we got in touch with them, the process was getting smoother, however. They're making improvements in the process.

We install the solution for our clients.

It's difficult to calculate pricing on the solution. Lenovo does help us, as a partner, however, there are different types of storage at different price points, and also certain items that are built into the cost already.  Normally, they break down and show you how they get to the final price. Typically, a client will tell you what they need and you run some calculations based on workloads. Once you have a plan that aligns with the customer's needs, you go to Lenovo for pricing, and you need to negotiate with them to try to lessen costs.  Once you have decided on the costs, there are no extras beyond that which a customer would have to pay for. It's all one set negotiated cost.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Lenovo partner. I'd rate the solution six out of ten. With Lenovo, there are only two solutions: the DE or DM series. For common workloads, we tend to recommend the DE series as it's the best match for smaller companies. The DM series is more for those with many workloads that need very high performance. In use cases where the Workload needs performance, we advice our Customer to take the advantage of the Lenovo Best in Breed DM-Systems. We typically advise customers to choose the DM series. In Germany, we have many small firms and smaller environments. Most people will tell clients they absolutely need flash. However, we don't think that is always the case. It's similar with DM. You can't sell clients with small issues or small storage requirements something that offers flash all the time. It's expensive. You need to think about costs and be strategic to ensure you're meeting your client's needs responsibly.

Technical Specialist at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Efficient storage and processing solution with simple deployment
  • "Ability to cluster two storages together with HA availability."
  • "This is an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

We assess requirements and implement this solution for our clients who wish to update and upgrade their equipment, servers and storage. We build a solution and provide the equipment and deploy for our customers. With Lenovo, we use the EMC for storage and HPE for processing. I work with the HP series and we're looking to expand the Lenovo market. I'm working in an IT company and I'm the technical manager.

What is most valuable?

In this solution, I like the option of clustering two storages together and that there can be HA availability. You can get two DM Series which is a 5000 Series, and you can cluster them and make a chain solution. This is a very important feature. If you want to build this solution with brands such as EMC, you should be paying a lot of money because it requires buying equipment like a VPLEX which is so expensive. With the other device you can launch as soon as it appears. But with this DM Series, you only need two of these. It's a very good feature.

What needs improvement?

Unfortunately, this is a very expensive solution. At the end of the day it's the client that decides whether to implement.

I'd like to see a clustering mode included in the solution as an additional feature.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

This is a very stable solution.

We try to solve any problems ourselves using the company site because we have no local technical support in our location. If there are any technical issues, it requires us to send servers overseas and it can take several months to solve a problem.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment takes 30 or 45 minutes to install the hardware and maybe an hour to initialize or setup the software. A maximum two or three hours in total.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to know that the storage is entry level mode. In comparison with other similar solutions, I think this one is the most expensive. Clients don't understand why they should pay so much money for the DM Series. It's possible to get other solutions with similar configurations like SSV, SaaS, HPE, MS-DOS. These are cheaper solutions.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
June 2022
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SImoneGebellato - PeerSpot reviewer
Group IT Architect & Network Engineer at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
A scalable solution to host all of our in-house data and applications

What is our primary use case?

The Lenovo ThinkSystem is used for everything in our company from ERP to BI, for production, PLM, CAD for designing, and everything else.

What needs improvement?

It takes a very long time to enter the management console, as well as to restart the system, and these are things that should be improved.

We have been using Lenovo's ThinkSystem DM series for thirty years.

We are satisfied with the stability.

Scalability is available and could be done, but we bought everything that we needed at the beginning. The system covers our needs so we don't have any reason to improve, update, or scale.

We have a local partner for technical support.

This solution has been in place and part of our IT department since the beginning and we have had no reason to change.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Fatih Altunbas - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Solutions Architect at nds Netzwerksysteme GmbH
Excellent FlexCone feature, but the solution needs better licensing options and an simpler setup
  • "The FlexClone feature is the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "The solution needs a simpler licensing theme around the DM series. The problem is if you only need one of the features, you still have to buy the whole thing. The licensing needs to be more granular or flexible so you have the option to only license FlexCone or Inline Compression features."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is to renew the IT infrastructure for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The FlexClone feature is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs a simpler licensing theme around the DM series. The problem is if you only need one of the features, you still have to buy the whole thing. The licensing needs to be more granular or flexible so you have the option to only license FlexCone or Inline Compression features.

I've been using the solution for eight months.

So far we haven't had issues, but after eight months it may be too early to comment on the stability of the solution.

We haven't tried to scale this early into using the solution, so I can't say too much about the potential to scale it.

We previously used the V3700, which is also from Lenovo. The product was at the end of its life which is why we switched.

The initial setup is very complex.

We had a consultant help us with deployment. We also tried to get in touch directly with the partner, Lenovo.

Main Thing is, to look for the Need of your customer! It ist very very important to know where HIS pain Points are. When he Needs a completly ready storage without any thinking about licences or something like that maybe nimble will fit the best. When he Needs more flexibility about scaleability, and superior featureset of already proven Storage Solutions maybe Lenovo DM-Series would match better.

HPE Nimble, HPE VSA, VMware VSAN, Lenovo DE-Series

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution six out of ten.

Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Lenovo, NetApp, Dell Technologies, and more!
Updated: June 2022