We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Katalon Studio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Katalon Studio is #5 ranked solution in top Test Automation Tools and #7 ranked solution in top API Testing Tools. PeerSpot users give Katalon Studio an average rating of 8 out of 10. Katalon Studio is most commonly compared to TestProject: Katalon Studio vs TestProject. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Katalon Studio?

Katalon Studio is a simple and powerful automation solution built by KMS Technology for testers everywhere. The tool provides features comparable to popular commercial solutions while eliminating the hassle of building an automation framework from open sources. Best of all, we are committed to keeping Katalon Studio free.

Katalon Studio Buyer's Guide

Download the Katalon Studio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Katalon Studio Customers
  • Coca-Cola
  • Tesla
  • Black Board
  • TaTa Consultancy Services
  • Sony
Katalon Studio Video

Archived Katalon Studio Reviews (more than two years old)

Lecturer and Researcher at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Powerful yet easy-to-use and focuses on the end-user as well as interface testing
  • "This is a product that is well ahead of its immediate competition in features and functionality."
  • "They need to work on documentation to make it more centralized and easier to find what you are looking for."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product as a tool to teach students about testing. We are not teaching them how to use this specific tool. We are helping the students to understand how to find the right tools to do the testing on what they develop.

How has it helped my organization?

fast learning curve tool (and profesional) for students new at the subject

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for me are that Katalon Studio is powerful and yet easy-to-use. This solution — even in comparison to Selenium, which we were using previously — is a little bit more simple from a user's standpoint. It is interesting because it is not only focused on the end-user but interface testing — and that includes API testing. Even if we do not generally need to use it, it is interesting. We are a university and we have a very small department that is doing development testing of software. Most of the projects are not API-based. We still are employing some old client-server versions and software architecture. But the capability is still interesting looking forward.

I have worked with the record and replay feature which helps to create test cases. It is quite useful for assisting in testing a user interface and a very good experience for students' understanding of procedures.

What needs improvement?

I really do not know what every user who is using this product might need to make it better for them. I do not think this is an easy question to answer for users globally. I do not think there are any features that we need. We had a small problem with an update of the web browser, but we managed to figure it out. New features are not part of our usage for the product.

I think the one thing that is more problematic for the product is the online documentation. It could be more centralized and better or just easier to find.

We have been using Katalon Studio off and on as a teaching tool at our university for maybe two years.

It is OK.
We had 3rd party problem (browser update) that broken the test case. But it was fixable.

We do not really have a reason to test the scalability, but it should be quite scalable. For the training project, it is only something students do for a few weeks. It depends on the team, but between two and six weeks, and no more. We get an average of about fifty students in their third year right now. They launch an initial development project including testing activity. The use of this kind of tools is optional and tool selection depends on the student group. The do not develop more than 2/3 sprints.

Within the department, we were previously using Selenium a few years back for teaching testing. We actually switched to Katalon from student suggestions. In the future, we may change again.

The most important thing about the product is that we can use it to teach about testing. So it was not imperative to switch but it is also good for students to have varied product experiences.

The initial setup takes a couple of weeks. That is not really too long for a product like this. It was relatively easy to do.

One of my colleagues is in charge of teaching software engineering testing issues. When the students are tackling the testing project, they sometimes suggest using different tools. Some years ago it was Selenium, nowadays it is Katalon. Of course, there are other tools that perhaps in the future we will suggest to the students to use in their projects. We are not teaching them to be professional users of Katalon and we will continue to evaluate tools and take suggestions for future packages.

What other advice do I have?

In looking at Katalon Studio and comparing it with Selenium, I think Katalon is better. The capture and replay functionality for sure sets Katalon ahead. As far as the API testing, we have not tried to explore that part. I have only heard that Katalon is very powerful in that capacity. Katalon is easier to work with and to integrate. Those are the main strengths and the differences we have found between the products.

I would rate Katalon Studio as an eight-of-ten overall on a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. It should be considered that we are not very demanding users. We have not put a lot of stress on the product in our testing.

To get a nine or ten, if they could provide some capabilities with artificial intelligence to help to assist testing models that could help people to improve in finding the best-case scenarios. Version testing might be an option as well. But Katalon is much closer to getting ten points than Selenium.

Test Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good end-to-end UA, Web,API, and mobile app testing capability
  • "The basic framework and project organization is very good."
  • "We have had some issues when it comes to stability, which is something that needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for user acceptance testing, web testing, regression testing, and mobile app testing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the capability of doing end-to-end testing for both web and mobile apps.

The basic framework and project organization is very good.

Data design testing capabilities are useful.

What needs improvement?

The maintenance of the tools can be improved.

We have had some issues when it comes to stability i.e when project has lot of items in workspace, which is something that needs to be improved.

I have been using Katalon Studio for just under two years.

At times, Katalon is a little bit non-stable i.e When a project has lot of items in workspace, it takes a while to save . We have had a couple of issues related to instability for more complex models, but we are hoping that it will get better. Because of these issues, we are not able to integrate this solution into our platform.

The scalability is okay for our immediate purposes. We have a maximum of ten users who are all test engineers.

We did have a couple of questions for technical support but we did not have direct interaction with them. Instead, we asked them through the web community forums, and some of them were answered.

It was a difficult problem so that may be why not all of our questions were answered. Also, you don't always get reliable answers from the community. For example, we followed some free advice to help with the implementation and it was not good for that purpose.

Prior to Katalon Studio, we were using UFT for our testing. We switched because Katalon is free and doesn't cost any money. It works in the meantime, and they have the capabilities that we need. The cost was definitely a factor.

The initial setup is really simple, which is one of the good things about this product.

It was really easy to implement and use. I look for information online from Katalon before we started our testing.

We completed the implementation using our in-house team.

It takes two or three people to deploy and maintain this solution.

There is a free version of the tool to use and support is available through the community forums, but there is a licensed version as well.

We did not evaluate other options. We needed certain capabilities and we found Katalon to be acceptable.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product. I would recommend it because they are promoting that they will update it for free, for life. We have had issues with stability but it might be better with the licensed version.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Katalon Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vijay Singh Bhadouriya
Business Analyst at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, easy to learn and use, a good regression test suite and good reporting
  • "This solution is very user-friendly to learn and implement, and less technical knowledge is required to handle automation."
  • "My recently-updated Katalon studio version hangs a lot and is not a stable version."

What is our primary use case?

I am automating my current project with web application manual testing.

It's a requirement gathering application and has lots of workflows for the user.

How has it helped my organization?

Manual testing requires a lot of manual processes and time to complete the test cycle. With the help of Katalon, the process is running more smoothly and is less time-consuming.

Regression test suit saves lots of time to complete the whole testing with inbuilt reports in PDF format.

What is most valuable?

The Keyword feature is very good to use in your test cases.

There are lots of inbuilt Keyword features already there to use, and one can write their own for use in respective test cases.

Less Java knowledge is required to write a keyword.

This solution is very user-friendly to learn and implement, and less technical knowledge is required to handle automation.

What needs improvement?

My recently-updated Katalon studio version hangs a lot and is not a stable version.

The support system should be improved in many areas such as Katalon Studio forums and the Katalon community page, where developer responses take a lot of time to reply to user questions.

Actually support response time is more than expected.

I have been using this solution for one year.

The stability is great.

The scalability of this solution is good.

Technical support for this solution is ok, but it could be improve.

I used Selenium, but Katalon is much more user-friendly.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

Dont know about that

NA

It is freeware software, so start using it.

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Great tool to start automation, easy to learn and doing.

Oussama Ben Taher
Étudiant at Ensibs
A free tool with good functionality and reporting features
  • "The functionality of the data is very good. You can upload and disperse data using the solution."
  • "Katalon doesn't support testing of hybrid applications. It's a limitation."

What is most valuable?

The functionality of the data is very good. You can upload and disperse data using the solution. The reporting is excellent as well.

What needs improvement?

The browsing is messy. The solution tends to rush the tests on multiple processes. That doesn't work in most cases. They need to write a different script for the same test case on the cloud and another script to run the test on Firefox, for example.

Also, in terms of reporting, in the documentation, it's mentioned that Katalon takes screenshots if the test case fails. But not on all test cases. I need to take screenshots manually.

Often, running parallel test cases at the same time doesn't work. If it launches the first test case and it tries to launch the second test case at the same time, for example, the first test case will finish but the second will not stop. A lot of people are talking about this issue on the forums.

The application is prone to freezing when it loads.

Katalon doesn't support testing of hybrid applications. It's a limitation.

I've been using the solution for one month.

In general, the solution is stable.

For one machine it's good and easy to use. With this solution, you want to limit yourself to small tests.

Technical support isn't very good. I've had problems where I couldn't find answers within the community. I've never used the ticket support system, although they do have one. I've mostly relied on the community to source answers.

We previously used Selenium HQ.

The initial setup was a local setup; I simply downloaded it from the website.

I implemented the solution myself.

The tool is free to use.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the cloud deployment model.

I would recommend the tool. For a free solution, it's very good.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Senior Test Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides cost-effective functional testing for web-based GUIs
  • "We can write code in Java and it is easy to link to other JARs that we find on the internet, which is very handy."
  • "The Object Spy is rather frustrating to work with, so I tend not to use it."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for functional testing on some backends, APIs, the ServiceNow GUI, and other web GUIs.

We have it running on a few machines, in-house. Each developer downloads it to their machine, and we also have it running on a test server.

What is most valuable?

This solution is written in Groovy, which means that we can write Groovy scripts that work with it. We can write code in Java and it is easy to link to other JARs that we find on the internet, which is very handy.

From a user's perspective, this solution is better than Micro Focus UFT.

The documentation for this solution could be improved. However, it is a freeware, and the documentation is still better than that of UFT.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, this solution only works for web-based products. It's sort of like a Selenium wrapper, which is quite well done.

The Object Spy is rather frustrating to work with, so I tend not to use it. Instead, I just go and look at the objects in the HTML code, in Chrome for example. A more user-friendly Object Spy would be an improvement.

I would like to see the extension to other GUIs such as Windows and SAP.

We have been using this solution for less than six months.

The stability of this solution is good and improving.

This product is installed on your own client, and it runs fine there. Scalability is not really an issue. There are two of us using this solution at the moment, and we plan on maybe going up to three or four. There is only a certain amount of testing and automation required for our project.

Technical support for this solution is mainly through forums, and the forums are quite good.

We are trying to get away from Micro Focus products because they're extremely expensive. For functional testing, we're migrating to Katalon Studio, for example.

In the organization as a whole, people are using UFT from Micro Focus, and they are paying a lot of money for it. From the perspective of the user, I would say that this solution is better than UFT, and would encourage people to migrate from UFT to Katalon.

Personally, I have also used Rational Functional Tester, Tricentis Tosca, and Ranorex.

Tosca has a very good analysis, but if you're working with complex web GUIs, such as Angular for example, then Tosca is a pain in the neck. Tosca is more for test analysis.

Ranorex is a good product and it is more flexible. I believe that it can handle Windows GUIs, which Katalon cannot do at the moment. However, Katalon is free, and they are also implementing Winium if we should have the need for Windows GUIs.

The initial setup is straightforward. You just download a ZIP file, copy the contents of it into a directory, and you're ready to go. It is a bit like installing Eclipse. The deployment is quick.

This product is freeware, so there is no charge for using it.

There is a paid service available that offers a cloud database where you can store your test cases, pull your test executions, get reports, etc. We're not currently using this service so I cannot comment on it.

I was recently tasked with looking at different testing tools, and I evaluated several including Katalon. Once I tried it, I liked it, and so far we've been happy with it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this project to have some familiarity with Groovy and Java. If you don't like coding then it will not be the product for you. Otherwise, in our experience, it's a good product. It is well thought through and continues to improve.

This solution semi-automatically updates to the latest version, so it is always up to date.

Manager of Organizational Development at Banco Pichincha
Has a custom chat in the IDE, a good tutorial, and the ability to always update the solution

What is our primary use case?

I made functional scripts with Katalon Studio integrated with GitLab for another company. For now, I need to know about other tools in order to make functional tests for apps.

How has it helped my organization?

Katalon Studio is easy to install and to learn for other technical people who work in quality assurance and don't work in developing software for a long time. In the other company, they always use Katalon to build the principal test of the business that they need to run when there are changes.

What is most valuable?

Easy to learn, I don't need to have any expertise in software development. This tool has a custom chat in the IDE, a good tutorial, and I can always update the solution. I like to work with Gherkin language, and I think that I can have results very soon with Selenium. On the other hand, in the same framework, I can work with web applications, mobile applications or web services, and I can record a test in one browser and run it in another browser.

What needs improvement?

I would like if this tool can work without any problems for React Native.

it_user872649
Test Lead at Larsen & Toubro Infotech Ltd.
Object Spy makes it easy to find an element on the web page

What is our primary use case?

We have used this tool to automate the regression test suite for our testing environment. In the coming future, we are willing to do the same in staging and production environments.

How has it helped my organization?

It definitely improved the organization in terms of time. We are now performing automated testing in 15 minutes, which were previously taking a long time when doing it manually.

What is most valuable?

We liked the built-in framework.  Also, I personally like the 'Object Spy' feature of this tool. It makes it easy to find an element on the web page.

What needs improvement?

Katalon Studio should improve on its supported platforms. It should start working on Silverlight automation as well.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

We liked the built-in framework.

Less than one year.
Software QA Tester / Team Lead at Brightest NV
Helps a lot with website automation
  • "The best feature is the split up between test cases and the test object. This allows us to easily change an error."
  • "Support options need improvement. It is sometimes hard to find a solution to any given problem, thus you are forced to use another solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use Katalon for automating our website. The environment that we use it in is an website build in Node.js.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we had no automation solution for the web. Therefore, this application has helped a lot in automating the web.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is the split up between test cases and the test object. This allows us to easily change an error.

What needs improvement?

Support options need improvement. It is sometimes hard to find a solution to any given problem, thus you are forced to use another solution.

Less than one year.

None whatsoever.

None whatsoever.

I did not have a previous solution.

There is no cost for setup or licensing.

I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is when you need a solution for a web automation tool, then use this one.

it_user824700
Référent Qualité logicielle with 10,001+ employees
User
It provides us daily feedback on the status of the core features of our websites

What is our primary use case?

I use it for website end-to-end automation and continuous testing via integration on the VSTS CI pipeline. The tool is fully integrated in our tool process.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us daily feedback on the status (failing/working) of the core features of our websites. A great tool for a non-technical tester to learn automated testing. Also, it is great for a technical tester, because it allows great customization.

What is most valuable?

Video capture on failure is a must have. A picture is worth a thousand words. A video is worth a thousand pictures (literally).

What needs improvement?

Object Spy is brittle. When I try to capture objects, I have to proceed multiple times before it works.

For how long have I used the

Still implementing.
it_user752019
QA Engineer at a tech company with 11-50 employees
It scales well, supporting the execution of large test suites

What is most valuable?

1. Katalon Studio provides the team much flexibility to adapt to various situations to address a problem appropriately. There are certain test cases that can only be tested manually, but Katalon allows the team to automate as many test cases as possible.
  2. The “Debug from here” feature reduces the debugging time considerably.
  3. It produces detailed and useful logs, helping the team to detect a defect’s root causes easily.
  4. It scales well, supporting the execution of large test suites.
  5. It can be used to verify various issues, ranging from minor errors like typos to performance and stability problems of the system.

How has it helped my organization?

Before using Katalon Studio, we spent weeks to verify all test cases manually for every major build. Now, we need only several days to fully perform regression testing, reducing the time to market greatly.

What needs improvement?

While the web testing is great, we expect more from the API testing.

More than six months.

No. It's very easy to deploy.

Rarely.

Not yet.

They provide very good customer service.

Excellent, since they promptly respond to our requests.

Robot Framework. However, it required more technical involvement, so the dev team needed to join and spent time setting up before our QA could join.

In-house.

After several years using Katalon Studio, the team now already automates more than 20% of the test cases, saving much of the verification time as well as exceeding the target set when starting the test automation effort.

The tool has been completely free until now.

TestComplete and UFT. They're all costly.

Software QA Engineer at a tech vendor with self employed
Can convert the test steps from manual mode to script mode and vice versa.

What is most valuable?

• Ability to convert the test steps from manual mode to script mode and vice versa.
  • The web recording feature is very amazing and helpful in capturing test steps as user interacts on websites.
  • Can create common test cases for later re-use.
  • Can define custom keywords.
  • Supports data-driven testing.
  • Free.

How has it helped my organization?

We achieve better productivity with this tool because of easily created, stored, maintained tests. We don't have to perform again and again every manual test step when it comes to regression. Moreover, this tool also solves our problem of having too many manual testers that are afraid of writing scripts.

What needs improvement?

• Restricted choice for scripting language (just Groovy).

I have used this tool for three months and still do not want to leave it.

I did not encounter any deployment issues.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Customer service is 8/10.

Katalon Studio customer service is good and fast. They rapidly answer users' questions and usually do surveys to enhance the performance.

Technical support is 9/10.

Thank the technical support team for their help. I appreciate their efforts on giving us quick and correct answers. Their answers are always on point and polite.

I previously used TestComplete, but now I use Katalon Studio because it matches my job requirements and it is free.

Initial setup was easy.

An in-house team implemented it. I think the tool can be easily implemented by an in-house team.

The learning curve is not steep, and it is quite easy to get used to it. I'm sure it won't take you much time, but the results will be worth it many times over. Plus, it's free, so especially teams with a low budget will find it worth investing.

It's free (freeware license). So, go ahead!

Before choosing this product, I also evaluated Selenium, TestComplete, and Telerik.

What other advice do I have?

I think Katalon Studio and the team behind it did a great job. The tool is not only useful but also cost-effective. I think they are continuing to upgrade the tool (really hope so). I and other users will be very happy with upcoming astonishing features.