IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Juniper vSRX OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper vSRX is #3 ranked solution in top Virtualization Security tools, #7 ranked solution in top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools, and #22 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Juniper vSRX an average rating of 8 out of 10. Juniper vSRX is most commonly compared to Juniper SRX: Juniper vSRX vs Juniper SRX. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Juniper vSRX?
The vSRX offers the same features as physical SRX Series firewalls but in a virtualized form factor for delivering security services that scale to match network demand. It offers the same features as the SRX appliance, including core firewall, robust networking, full next-gen capabilities, and automated life-cycle management. It handles speed up to 100 Gbps. It supports Juniper Contrail, OpenContrail, and third-party software-defined networking (SDN) solutions and integrates with cloud orchestration tools. Deployed in your private cloud, vSRX protects against the lateral spread of advanced threats between virtual machines within your network borders. It provides scalable application security for dynamic workloads and protects mission-critical applications from known and unknown threats. Also the vSRX virtual firewall helps you seamlessly extend your private cloud into public cloud environments, securely moving data and workloads with ease. As a VPN gateway, the vSRX provides remote users with safe access to their workloads. As a segmentation gateway, the vSRX protects public-cloud workloads by blocking lateral threats using application policies that help maintain security and compliance.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2022

Juniper vSRX Customers
Expedient Data Centers
Juniper vSRX Video

Juniper vSRX Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper vSRX pricing:
  • "As a customer, the pricing is good for us."
  • "The pricing is reasonable."
  • Juniper vSRX Reviews

Oscar Bashford - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Operations Support at EOS IT Management Solutions Ltd
    MSP
    Fast with good usability and fairly scalable
    • "I'm told the solution is the fastest, and, so far, I do find that to be the case."
    • "It could use more tutorials."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for experimentation. I just wanted to create a site to site VPN. I was hoping that you can make the SRX like a hub, so if I had a site here and then I had a new site, I could just create another VPN from that new site to the virtual X in the cloud. I don't know if it works like that. I'm skeptical if it can. Maybe there is a roundabout with the actual Azure AWS, however, I'm not so sure about that part. That's why I'm learning about Azure, and how that works in connecting to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

I'm told the solution is the fastest, and, so far, I do find that to be the case.

I'm familiar with the solution, so I'm pretty comfortable with the processes. There's pretty good usability.

What needs improvement?

Largely the solution seems fine to me.

It could use more tutorials.

I think there's a step missing or the use cases are missing information. I'm not sure why you have to connect from the descendant to another SRX. The why part, why would I do that and what's practical, is not really answered in any documentation I have access to. At my last job, we used to hook up a VPN to the data center, and then at each site we would have a device connecting to that data center. Now that project is not 100% right now, I'm still wondering if I were to go and do that project, how would I do it? Should I make it cloud-based?

If I want to use it virtually in the cloud as a hub, I want to see if that's possible, and, if it's possible, they should have documentation on that.

I looked at the config. I played around with the config and then I say, "Okay, I see what they're doing, with the actual Azure part, and yet, on AWS, I'm having the same problem." It's something to do with the public IP. It's only functioning on the management side, on the virtual firewall. I can't get the other side, the other network interface to connect out. I don't have a connection out technically. I could ping, but through management and that's not how it's supposed to work. It's just through the management. I'm not seeing the departments.

I haven't been using the solution for that long. Basically it's just this year. I've been tinkering with it since March.

The solution is stable. It seemed very good. I'm just trying to learn everything right now, however, from what I've experienced, I'd say it's reliable.

Scalability is very good. I'm not an expert yet, however, I would recommend it to anybody who needs to expand.

There's hundreds, if not thousands, or users on the solution currently.

I believe there is something on Amazon and you can ask questions about the solution. I was trying to go through something like that, and maybe they can help. I didn't really follow through, due to the fact that I didn't get an email, so I don't know who could contact me. With Azure, I didn't really go that far in depth.

Mostly I just do my own research and try to troubleshoot issues on my own. I'm figuring out everything from scratch.

I'm kind of familiar with ASA firewalls from Cisco. I've worked with SonicWall a lot and Pablo Alto a little bit, however, I'm not 100% familiar with it. I've worked on it, but not every day. For Palo Alto, I just worked on it once. I know the interface. I know some other firewalls as well, however, I don't think they need to be mentioned, as they're not that popular. ASA firewall, I would say, is the most popular one.

At first the implementation was straightforward. I got around quickly. I was able to, after a week, feel like I had the hang of everything. I can move around in Azure and AWS. That said, it's just the part with the elastic IP. I don't know if it's a Juniper issue or it's on there and there's another connection, and that's the part I'm not getting.

I was able to deploy the solution in days. It's just getting it to work properly, however. In that sense, it took weeks, or, at least a week and a half. I had to say "Okay, let me give up this for now" before I really got anywhere.

There isn't really maintenance per se. It's just running. There's 24/7 support. When it goes down, I guess, we're there.

I did the implementation myself, however, I have a lot of tutorials and documentation on hand. I use YouTube as well. I even got Pluralsight the other day. I have IME. I have CBT Nuggets. Anything I can use to find out more about the product I will look at. What has really helped me was I got a lot of PDF files from Juniper and it had some stuff about AWS.

I would say this solution was the default selection, however, I know that ASA is up there too. That said, the virtual SRX is what's most popular now.

What other advice do I have?

Our organization is partners with Juniper. We have a business relationship with them.

At work I see it a lot, however, a lot of tasks are automated at work. It's not like you have hands-on from scratch experience. In my position, I'm doing more support or some automation to build the VRX or the virtuals needed for lab equipment. At home and in the labs I am able to learn from scratch, and I'm trying to connect VPNs, etc. I am hoping to get into the cloud in the future.

The version of the solution we use should be the latest. I downloaded it a couple of months ago. It should be the latest, due to the fact that I have a virtual that's a trial. I get it through the partnership through my job. The virtual that I've got is on AWS. Azure is the recommended platform.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it ten out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good filtering capabilities, supports SSL inspection, helpful technical support
    • "The most valuable features are application filtering, content filtering, the intrusion prevention system (IPS), and definitely the application firewall."
    • "The reporting can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the vSRX is something that we have included in one of the solutions that we sell to our customers for cyber security protection. Our initial deployment was on-premises at one of our customer's sites.

We were so happy with vSRX that we expanded its usage. We design and prepare solutions for ships, and we have included the vSRX as part of our cyber security solution for them. It is still an on-premises deployment, although the premises is a vessel.

This product is primarily used for its UTM functionality. We collect all of the logs that the UTM produces onboard each ship and bring them onshore. At that point, we reevaluate them. We give full accessibility to the customers, allowing them to see what the UTM is doing on their ships.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the way our organization functions because prior to implementing it, vessels did not have this technology. There was nothing equal to it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are application filtering, content filtering, the intrusion prevention system (IPS), and definitely the application firewall.

We use the SSL inspection capability, which we really like a lot.

What needs improvement?

The reporting can be improved.

I have been working with Juniper vSRX for three years.

Stability-wise, it is very good. This product is very stable and it's proven to be a very good tool for us. It is used extensively because it is part of the ship's main operations. All of the data that goes in or out of the vessel is inspected by it.

This is quite a scalable product. It is easier to scale than the SRX because it's virtual. It's easier to assign more resources than it is to add more hardware.

We have installed this solution on approximately 450 ships with about 20 people in each of them. Many more of our customers have ships and we expect to surpass 1,000 installations within the next two or three years.

The technical support is very good.

We did not use another solution prior to this one. A product did not exist for our customers' ships, so we introduced it using the vSRX.

We have also implemented the Juniper SRX and the vSRX takes a little bit longer because the design is more complex. From the design phase to implementation and deployment, it takes between two and three days to complete.

We had a partner do the implementation for us. The maintenance is also done by a partner. We have a lot of vSRX devices out there, and we are not actively maintaining them ourselves, so we have our partner to take care of it.

We did not evaluate other options before implementing this solution. We are Juniper SRX users and we were so happy with that product that we decided the only solution had to be the vSRX.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is that the whole thing is about the design. If you design it well, consider how you should introduce it into your organization, and have a good implementor to ensure that it integrates well into the platforms you already have in place, then you won't have any problems with the implementation phase. Having a good integrator is very important.

Feature-wise, this product isn't missing anything. There is nothing that we have asked for that isn't there. Our only complaint is about the reporting.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Firewalls
    April 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Netgate, Microsoft and others in Firewalls. Updated: April 2022.
    595,546 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Network Planning Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Scalable with an easy setup and good security
    • "The initial setup is pretty simple."
    • "Some people complain that the solution tends to have a steep learning curve. It could be because most people have basic familiarity with Cisco or other similar products and maybe have never worked closely with Juniper products."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall for security purposes in order to keep our organization safe.

What is most valuable?

In general, the entire security solution is great, from end to end.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

The solution works quite well. I can't think of any features that are lacking. I don't know where it could be improved.

Some people complain that the solution tends to have a steep learning curve. It could be because most people have basic familiarity with Cisco or other similar products and maybe have never worked closely with Juniper products. I don't find that it's a problem, however, I have heard this mentioned as an issue for some people.

We've been using the solution for a couple of years.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't have bugs or glitches and doesn't seem to crash at all. Its performance is great. You can rely on it.

The solution can scale if you need it to. That's not a problem.

We do have plans to increase the usage of the product in the future.

We have technical experts who have helped us in the past. They were quite supportive. They were both responsive and knowledgable and we've been satisfied with eh level of service provided.

Before we started using Juniper, we used Huawei Firewall and its related services. We switched as we found that Juniper offered a much better service. From our perspective, everything about Juniper is better. Huawei is lacking in a few areas.

The solution isn't too complex to set up. It's pretty straightforward.

The deployment, from beginning to end, takes about six months.

We had about 20 experts on the deployment project.

We used a solution provider to assist us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Juniper.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

We'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution an eight.

Expert - architect of ICT systems at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Useful remote management that could use some more virus and malware detection
    • "It is deployed on the customer site, and we manage the firewalls on this side."
    • "I would like to see an activity sensor for malicious content or sensor for viruses and malware."

What is our primary use case?

It is deployed on the customer site, and we manage the firewalls on this side. It's a very useful solution. It is used on-premise at the customer site. It is useful for management, and the configuration is rather easy, as well.

How has it helped my organization?

As I said, it meets our requirements, so I think the product works okay.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an activity sensor for malicious content or sensor for viruses and malware.

We have used the Juniper vSRX firewalls for two or three years.

Yes, of course. It is stable.

I think that the system is scalable, but not on the customer side because there are not that many switches, so you don't have to scale this side.

The Juniper technical support fulfilled our requirements.

We used Fortinet firewalls as well as Juniper vSRX. We did not use them to the extent that we have used Juniper vSRX.

The deployment of the Juniper vSRX is easy.

The process is done by my colleagues, so I am not involved in this process. As I understand it is easy and not a time-consuming process.

I think the virtual solution is a good price. But of course, it depends on other features, solutions, and licenses.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on on the environment and work requirements so it is hard to give advice. I would rate Juniper vSRX at a seven on a scale of ten.

Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The commit check and the commit confirmed commands are flexible
    • "Juniper is more flexible with the commit check and the commit confirmed command. The design of the forwarding and contract plan in the operating system is very important for the performance when we have very big traffic."
    • "We worked with Cisco's support and Juniper's support and there are some differences, to be honest, Cisco is more available and is more competent at addressing our cases."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for Juniper is to allow traffic for each team to reach servers on our other sites. I allow some source addresses to reach some destination addresses with some applications with HTTP, HTTPS, and SSH, to reach the service for each team.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We worked with Cisco's support and Juniper's support and there are some differences, to be honest, Cisco is more available and is more competent at addressing our cases. So that is something negative about Juniper but otherwise, the architecture of Juniper's OS is flexible and scalable and technically Juniper is good.

The GUI is really bad. Cisco's is more advanced with their ASDM platforms. Cisco has more advantages.

I have been using this solution for more than two years.

We also used Cisco. There are some differences in the command-line interface.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Juniper an eight out of ten. In the next release, I would like to see an enhanced GUI, graphic user interface, because the graphic user interface is very bad.

They should also discard some existing commands that we have to delete before the commands. Cisco is more practical.

I would recommend Juniper because they have a very good product. Especially, the 5800 product is a very good product for an internet service provider.

Private Cloud
    A powerful solution with high performance
    • "It's a very powerful solution and the firewalls offer high performance"
    • "We experienced some technical issues during implementation"

What is our primary use case?

We use Juniper vSRX to provide security for our customers and our users.

What is most valuable?

The solution as a whole is good, but it requires knowledge to use it properly. We know this solution well; we know all of its configurations and little secrets that inexperienced users may not be aware of. It's a very powerful solution and the firewalls function with high performance. The configuration is also great.

I have been using Juniper vSRX for a couple of years now.

Juniper vSRX is stable.

This solution is scalable, but I think it could be more scalable. It is possible to extend the firewall, but the firewall model could be bigger.

Juniper supplies us with great customer support. We are very satisfied with them.

The initial setup was easy.

As a customer, the pricing is good for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Juniper vSRX. It works well for us.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Juniper vSRX a rating of eight. We experienced some technical issues during implementation; if they were corrected, I would give this solution a rating of nine or ten.

Senior Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    Reliable, easy to setup, reasonably-priced, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are Value Add Resellers and we provide the Cloud for our customers.

We set up Amazon Web Services as the cloud for our customers.

What is most valuable?

It's standard, with standard routing.

Juniper vSRX has everything at the moment; they are covering it all and getting into automation, which is great.

The dashboard, customization, API, and pricing are good.

What needs improvement?

VPN access is an area that needs improvement.

I have been using Juniper vSRX for four years.

This is a product that I have been using it ever since it was released.

This product is very stable.

Juniper vSRX is scalable.

We have four users in our organization.

Technical support has been very supportive.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We did not use a vendor team, reseller, or an integrator. The implementation was done in-house.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend Juniper vSRX to others who are looking at implementing it.

Download our free Firewalls Report and find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Netgate, Microsoft, and more!