IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Juniper vSRX OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper vSRX is #3 ranked solution in top Virtualization Security tools, #7 ranked solution in top Unified Threat Management (UTM) tools, and #25 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Juniper vSRX an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Juniper vSRX is most commonly compared to Juniper SRX: Juniper vSRX vs Juniper SRX. Juniper vSRX is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 31% of all views.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Juniper vSRX?
The vSRX offers the same features as physical SRX Series firewalls but in a virtualized form factor for delivering security services that scale to match network demand. It offers the same features as the SRX appliance, including core firewall, robust networking, full next-gen capabilities, and automated life-cycle management. It handles speed up to 100 Gbps. It supports Juniper Contrail, OpenContrail, and third-party software-defined networking (SDN) solutions and integrates with cloud orchestration tools. Deployed in your private cloud, vSRX protects against the lateral spread of advanced threats between virtual machines within your network borders. It provides scalable application security for dynamic workloads and protects mission-critical applications from known and unknown threats. Also the vSRX virtual firewall helps you seamlessly extend your private cloud into public cloud environments, securely moving data and workloads with ease. As a VPN gateway, the vSRX provides remote users with safe access to their workloads. As a segmentation gateway, the vSRX protects public-cloud workloads by blocking lateral threats using application policies that help maintain security and compliance.
Juniper vSRX Customers
Expedient Data Centers
Juniper vSRX Video

Juniper vSRX Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper vSRX pricing:
  • "The ongoing licensing cost seems to be pretty standard. There are no additional costs."
  • "As a customer, the pricing is good for us."
  • "The pricing is reasonable."
  • Juniper vSRX Reviews

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Good filtering capabilities, supports SSL inspection, helpful technical support
    • "The most valuable features are application filtering, content filtering, the intrusion prevention system (IPS), and definitely the application firewall."
    • "The reporting can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the vSRX is something that we have included in one of the solutions that we sell to our customers for cyber security protection. Our initial deployment was on-premises at one of our customer's sites.

We were so happy with vSRX that we expanded its usage. We design and prepare solutions for ships, and we have included the vSRX as part of our cyber security solution for them. It is still an on-premises deployment, although the premises is a vessel.

This product is primarily used for its UTM functionality. We collect all of the logs that the UTM produces onboard each ship and bring them onshore. At that point, we reevaluate them. We give full accessibility to the customers, allowing them to see what the UTM is doing on their ships.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the way our organization functions because prior to implementing it, vessels did not have this technology. There was nothing equal to it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are application filtering, content filtering, the intrusion prevention system (IPS), and definitely the application firewall.

We use the SSL inspection capability, which we really like a lot.

What needs improvement?

The reporting can be improved.

Firewalls
    July 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Netgate, Microsoft and others in Firewalls. Updated: July 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been working with Juniper vSRX for three years.

Stability-wise, it is very good. This product is very stable and it's proven to be a very good tool for us. It is used extensively because it is part of the ship's main operations. All of the data that goes in or out of the vessel is inspected by it.

This is quite a scalable product. It is easier to scale than the SRX because it's virtual. It's easier to assign more resources than it is to add more hardware.

We have installed this solution on approximately 450 ships with about 20 people in each of them. Many more of our customers have ships and we expect to surpass 1,000 installations within the next two or three years.

The technical support is very good.

We did not use another solution prior to this one. A product did not exist for our customers' ships, so we introduced it using the vSRX.

We have also implemented the Juniper SRX and the vSRX takes a little bit longer because the design is more complex. From the design phase to implementation and deployment, it takes between two and three days to complete.

We had a partner do the implementation for us. The maintenance is also done by a partner. We have a lot of vSRX devices out there, and we are not actively maintaining them ourselves, so we have our partner to take care of it.

We did not evaluate other options before implementing this solution. We are Juniper SRX users and we were so happy with that product that we decided the only solution had to be the vSRX.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is that the whole thing is about the design. If you design it well, consider how you should introduce it into your organization, and have a good implementor to ensure that it integrates well into the platforms you already have in place, then you won't have any problems with the implementation phase. Having a good integrator is very important.

Feature-wise, this product isn't missing anything. There is nothing that we have asked for that isn't there. Our only complaint is about the reporting.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Senior Network Administrator at Zetec, Inc.
    Has basic functionality, but the GUI and hardware need to be improved
    • "It's basic functionality is probably the most valuable feature."
    • "The GUI really needs a lot of work, and it has got worse with successive version updates."

What is our primary use case?

It's where we face some of our IPsec tunnels.

What is most valuable?

It's basic functionality is probably the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Juniper has some really good ideas, but I think they have missed the boat with regard to execution.

The GUI really needs a lot of work, and it has got worse with successive version updates. There are some things that are just easier to look at in the GUI, and they've removed some features that were very helpful.

Even though the features are still available in the CLI, sometimes it's just easier to look at the rules in a hierarchical fashion in the GUI.

The hardware needs some serious work as well. In the four years we've had Juniper vSRX, we've had four RMAs. Each of the three physical devices that we have has been replaced at least once.

A better methodology of looking at how a proposed rule would act on the network would be good to have. For example, Cisco ASA had a tool where you could write a rule or a policy, and it would tell you whether it stopped specific traffic.

I've used it for the last four years.

My impressions of this solution's stability is not very favorable. We haven't had any problems with actual stability in the last couple of years, but it has lost its mind a couple of times and required rebooting.

The technical support for this solution is fair. I've had a lot worse, and I've had better, so it's run of the mill.

We were using Cisco ASA before Juniper vSRX.

The reason that we didn't go with Cisco is that their products were behind the times. Other products had more up-to-date technology.

We're a small organization, and the initial setup was pretty straightforward. I do the maintenance of the solution.

We hired an outside vendor to help with initial deployment.

On a qualitative level, Juniper vSRX is taking care of what we need it to. So far, we haven't had an attack, but we did have a breach.

The ongoing licensing cost seems to be pretty standard. There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend looking elsewhere. I'm not particularly enamored with Juniper vSRX. I've had a lot of problems with it. We're looking to replace Juniper with either Aruba or FortiGate based on usability and affordability.

Overall, I would rate this solution at four on a scale from one to ten.

Firewalls
    July 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Network Planning Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Scalable with an easy setup and good security
    • "The initial setup is pretty simple."
    • "Some people complain that the solution tends to have a steep learning curve. It could be because most people have basic familiarity with Cisco or other similar products and maybe have never worked closely with Juniper products."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall for security purposes in order to keep our organization safe.

What is most valuable?

In general, the entire security solution is great, from end to end.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

The solution works quite well. I can't think of any features that are lacking. I don't know where it could be improved.

Some people complain that the solution tends to have a steep learning curve. It could be because most people have basic familiarity with Cisco or other similar products and maybe have never worked closely with Juniper products. I don't find that it's a problem, however, I have heard this mentioned as an issue for some people.

We've been using the solution for a couple of years.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't have bugs or glitches and doesn't seem to crash at all. Its performance is great. You can rely on it.

The solution can scale if you need it to. That's not a problem.

We do have plans to increase the usage of the product in the future.

We have technical experts who have helped us in the past. They were quite supportive. They were both responsive and knowledgable and we've been satisfied with eh level of service provided.

Before we started using Juniper, we used Huawei Firewall and its related services. We switched as we found that Juniper offered a much better service. From our perspective, everything about Juniper is better. Huawei is lacking in a few areas.

The solution isn't too complex to set up. It's pretty straightforward.

The deployment, from beginning to end, takes about six months.

We had about 20 experts on the deployment project.

We used a solution provider to assist us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Juniper.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

We'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution an eight.

Expert - architect of ICT systems at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Useful remote management that could use some more virus and malware detection
    • "It is deployed on the customer site, and we manage the firewalls on this side."
    • "I would like to see an activity sensor for malicious content or sensor for viruses and malware."

What is our primary use case?

It is deployed on the customer site, and we manage the firewalls on this side. It's a very useful solution. It is used on-premise at the customer site. It is useful for management, and the configuration is rather easy, as well.

How has it helped my organization?

As I said, it meets our requirements, so I think the product works okay.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an activity sensor for malicious content or sensor for viruses and malware.

We have used the Juniper vSRX firewalls for two or three years.

Yes, of course. It is stable.

I think that the system is scalable, but not on the customer side because there are not that many switches, so you don't have to scale this side.

The Juniper technical support fulfilled our requirements.

We used Fortinet firewalls as well as Juniper vSRX. We did not use them to the extent that we have used Juniper vSRX.

The deployment of the Juniper vSRX is easy.

The process is done by my colleagues, so I am not involved in this process. As I understand it is easy and not a time-consuming process.

I think the virtual solution is a good price. But of course, it depends on other features, solutions, and licenses.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on on the environment and work requirements so it is hard to give advice. I would rate Juniper vSRX at a seven on a scale of ten.

A powerful solution with high performance
    • "It's a very powerful solution and the firewalls offer high performance"
    • "We experienced some technical issues during implementation"

What is our primary use case?

We use Juniper vSRX to provide security for our customers and our users.

What is most valuable?

The solution as a whole is good, but it requires knowledge to use it properly. We know this solution well; we know all of its configurations and little secrets that inexperienced users may not be aware of. It's a very powerful solution and the firewalls function with high performance. The configuration is also great.

I have been using Juniper vSRX for a couple of years now.

Juniper vSRX is stable.

This solution is scalable, but I think it could be more scalable. It is possible to extend the firewall, but the firewall model could be bigger.

Juniper supplies us with great customer support. We are very satisfied with them.

The initial setup was easy.

As a customer, the pricing is good for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Juniper vSRX. It works well for us.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Juniper vSRX a rating of eight. We experienced some technical issues during implementation; if they were corrected, I would give this solution a rating of nine or ten.

Senior Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    Reliable, easy to setup, reasonably-priced, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are Value Add Resellers and we provide the Cloud for our customers.

We set up Amazon Web Services as the cloud for our customers.

What is most valuable?

It's standard, with standard routing.

Juniper vSRX has everything at the moment; they are covering it all and getting into automation, which is great.

The dashboard, customization, API, and pricing are good.

What needs improvement?

VPN access is an area that needs improvement.

I have been using Juniper vSRX for four years.

This is a product that I have been using it ever since it was released.

This product is very stable.

Juniper vSRX is scalable.

We have four users in our organization.

Technical support has been very supportive.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We did not use a vendor team, reseller, or an integrator. The implementation was done in-house.

The pricing is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend Juniper vSRX to others who are looking at implementing it.

Senior Network Specialist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Reseller
    Scalable firewall and security solution with good switches
    • "This solution works well. Their switches and firewall are good."
    • "Fortinet is more user friendly than Juniper. In terms of remote access, I actually prefer using Fortinet. It's much easier to configure."

What is most valuable?

This solution works well. Their switches and firewall are good.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet is more user friendly than Juniper. In terms of remote access, I actually prefer using Fortinet. It is much easier to configure. When someone uses Juniper for the first time, it can be very intimidating. At one time, Juniper had what was known as a MAG, which was meant for remote access for users on the SRX.

They sold MAG and now remote access on Juniper leaves a lot to be desired because they don't have their own client. You have to use Pulse Secure or another solution. When there's a bug, Juniper relies on Pulse Secure and in our experience, this took six months to fix.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

This is a scalable solution.

What other advice do I have?

For those who can afford it afford it, I would recommend Palo Alto over Juniper.

Fathi Kharfi - PeerSpot reviewer
    Head Of Network & Technical Support at Tadhamon International Islamic Bank
    A stable and scalable solution, but the overall management could be better

What is our primary use case?

The software is good. It's similar to when we used LAN and Cisco routers and firewalls in the past. We were able to scale. Juniper is better than Cisco for management.

What needs improvement?

It is pretty complex to manage and could be easier.

We have been using this solution for about nine years, and it is deployed on-premises. We are using version SRX 500.

The hardware is stable and more stable than Sophos.

It is a scalable solution. We have about 500 users using this solution in our company.

It is easy to install.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a seven out of ten, and I would recommend it to other people.

Download our free Firewalls Report and find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, Netgate, Microsoft, and more!
    Updated: July 2022