IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Juniper Enterprise Routers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Juniper Enterprise Routers is #3 ranked solution in top Routers. PeerSpot users give Juniper Enterprise Routers an average rating of 8 out of 10. Juniper Enterprise Routers is most commonly compared to MikroTik Routers and Switches: Juniper Enterprise Routers vs MikroTik Routers and Switches. Juniper Enterprise Routers is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 39% of all views.

Download the Routers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Juniper Enterprise Routers?
Juniper MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers, A portfolio of SDN-ready routing platforms that provide the industry-leading system capacity, density, and performance that enterprises, service providers, and cloud operators need to thrive in our always-on, hyper-connected digital world.

Juniper Enterprise Routers was previously known as MX Series.

Juniper Enterprise Routers Customers
AARNet Pty Ltd, Allegro Networks, Atlantech Online, Availity, Baloise Insurance, Black Lotus, CATV, Blue Box
Juniper Enterprise Routers Video

Juniper Enterprise Routers Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Juniper Enterprise Routers pricing:
"$300 to $400 is the hardware cost and for licensing cost, it may be around, for support and all, $100 per year."

Juniper Enterprise Routers Reviews

Ildar Baybulatov - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Expert and Architect at a non-profit with 11-50 employees
Good configuration and updates with helpful support
  • "It's one of the more stable routers."
  • "The initial setup is not easy."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its router capabilities.

What is most valuable?

The solution allows for a lot of communication with the internet.  When you configure Juniper, you are configuring in the right scheme as Juniper configurations use XML files so all configurations are allocated in necessary strings. For example, if you configure a system, some comments can be on the top of configuration and some in the middle, and some on the bottom. You have to scroll through configurations always up to down typically.  However, in Juniper, all configurations are allocated in one place. It's very convenient.  Juniper is at the front of IT technology. Every new technology always can be reflected in the latest version of the firmware. If you work in data centers or internet service providers, you have to be always very flexible and update your firmware to modern configurations and so on.

What needs improvement?

Juniper is the end of the software-defined network. There are more popular routers. Right now, the leaders are Cisco, Arista, and Huawei. Juniper has to chase them and catch up to their offerings.  I'd like to see a router that is supporting, for example, HD-1. If you are using the Enterprise Router in a service-positive network the features they offer currently are enough. If you use it in a data center, maybe you need a supporting VX-1 or something like that to be part of the vTAP configuration for this router.  The initial setup is not easy.

I've used the solution for ten to 12 years.
Routers
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Juniper, MikroTik, Cisco and others in Routers. Updated: June 2022.
610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's one of the more stable routers. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance has been good overall.

Scalability is very good. You can change modules inside interfaces in this, for example, modular router. We've moved, for five or seven years, between different types. That said, a half year ago I had a problem. We bought a new MX 480 for connection between two devices. One old device, which we bought it eight years ago, and a new one. We had to use an old version of mixed MIC devices inside this router to bind the new router. We have about 20 people using the solution right now.

I've used the Juniper Support Team for a couple of problems with Juniper. They were great. they answered my questions and responded in a reasonable amount of time.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is not very easy. It's not complex either. It's in the middle between easy and complicated. If you are configuring MX or 80, if you know what you need to configure and if you are configuring the data center, deployment can take one day. However, usually, you don't know what the customer needs or you don't know which direction of configuration you can use. For example, you can configure interfaces like virtual interfaces or sub-interfaces. It looks the same, however, they have some inside configurations that take longer. So for these devices, you should analyze for big devices for data centers and internet service providers, you should analyze what kind of configuration you do before so it'll take more time than configuration.

You do have to pay for the solution, however, there isn't an additional licensing cost.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user. I'd recommend the solution. It's a good solution with good support. You can also find technology knowledge about the product on the internet. It's not very difficult to look up more details. You can find anything in the forums, for example. In Russia, these routers are popular, which makes it possible to ask some advice from engineers from other companies. They can share their experience which is important when you reconfigure devices. If it was in January, I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. However, right now, I'd rate it maybe eight out of ten since we don't have support in Russia any longer. Nobody can send you new details to change things if they're broken, for example.
Reviewer1124ty6 - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at MULTILINK COMPUTERS PVT LTD
Good performance, long life span, and easy to set up
  • "The solution is pretty easy to set up after a bit of training."
  • "We'd like them to be capable of adding firewall options to the license."

What is our primary use case?

We are the system integrator. Normally we are using it in our projects.

Juniper Routers are used for our MPRS project with our clients. We have used the MPRS router. Apart from this, we have used SRX series of routers where the event requirement is there. And with switching also, we have used a Juniper router in our MPRS Integration Project.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing with the Juniper router is that feature-wise, lots of routers are similar. If I'm talking about the performance, it's at 99%. Apart from this, the hardware reliability is very good.

It lasts a long time. The end-of-life is approximately eight years.

Juniper routers are very capable and can be scalable.

We may also integrate it as an event solution in the Juniper Router SRX3.

The solution is pretty easy to set up after a bit of training.

Juniper is pretty good and pretty known right now for SRX3 where an SD-WAN solution is there. If we are not getting the MPLS connectivity in fiber, then we may use the 4D, and LD modems and get Juniper integration, router, and SRX fiber applications, which we may enable.

What needs improvement?

We'd like them to be capable of adding firewall options to the license.

In the next version, I'd like to see a load balancing and SD-WAN solution altogether in a simple manner.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It's possible to scale if you plan ahead. The products are very much defined to the load, in terms of MBPS. If I'm talking about a hundred MBPS products, we have to initial levels, we have to think, what will be our maximum load? If we will plan that product well at the time of deployment, then we don't have any problems. That's the main thing. To scale, we have to know in advance what may be our load in the future, maybe after one year or maybe after two years. If you do this, then everything will be fine on Juniper. You don't have to change the router.

We have ten to 15 users on it right now.

We also use MicroTik. We're also familiar with Cisco, Aruba, HP, and Ruckus.

Juniper is, definitely, in competition with Cisco. They are, I think, 30% to 40% cheaper. In comparison to HP routers, there is a 10% to 15% variable. If you are talking about Ruckus and Aruba, they're in the Wi-Fi segment. In the Wi-Fi segment, Ruckus and Aruba are the leaders. In the wiring router segment, Cisco and Juniper are the leaders. There is no competition apart from Cisco for Juniper in regard to enterprise routers.

In terms of the initial setup, you have to learn a little bit of Juniper voice command. If you have learned Juniper voice command, then everything will be in a similar pattern. That makes it quite easy. That said, for the first one or two days, you need hands-on training. Afterward, it is very easy.

I'd rate it four out of five in terms of ease of setup. It only takes a half-hour for configuration.

We integrate this solution for our clients.

For 10 to 15 users, if you have to go for the SRX3, a startup central router, in terms of dollars, it is maybe $300 annually. This is just the hardware cost. $300 to $400 is the hardware cost and for licensing cost, it may be around, for support and all, $100 per year. This is for an enterprise user.

What other advice do I have?

We are a partner and integrators.

If you have a small setup related to the enterprise office then you should go for Juniper, otherwise, for home, you don't have to use Juniper as there are lots of products out there. For $200, lots of products are there. Juniper is 100% recommended for Telco ISPs.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner / Integrator
Routers
June 2022
610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Bassam Almathhaji - PeerSpot reviewer
YKB at Yemen Kuwait Bank (YKB)
Simple to use, flexible, and intuitive
  • "It offers high protection and I like it."
  • "The integration could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for connection with the internet and with other organizations through Juniper. We use it for interconnectivity.

How has it helped my organization?

The product protects us from multiple threats from the internet. Juniper is the first layer of protection.

What is most valuable?

It's so simple to use and intuitive. It offers high protection and I like it. It's user-friendly and flexible.

It is easy to set up.

The solution can scale.

The stability is good.

Technical support is helpful.

We've witnessed an ROI.

What needs improvement?

The integration could be better. It was a difficult configuration with integration with other systems. Others are more user-friendly when it comes to integration.

I'd like to see more notifications available via both SMS and email.

I've been using the solution for ten years. It's been a decade.

The solution is stable. It's one f the most stable products on the market. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product is scalable. It's not hard to expand as needed.

We have around 300 users.

We may increase usage in the future, however, I do not have exact details.

Technical support is great. I'd put it at the same level as Sophos. They're great.

I work with FortiGate, Juniper, and Cisco. Fortigate may be a bit more flexible than Juniper. It does have a cloud sandbox we can use, for example.

Previously, we used ASA, Cisco ASA, and changed to Juniper, as it was really difficult and it is not as user-friendly. Juniper is more stable and easier.

The solution is simple and straightforward. It is not complex at all. I'd rate it a three out of five in terms of ease of setup.

The last time we deployed Juniper was six months ago and we had a pretty good time. After six months, we replaced all the requirements with the latest version of Juniper and it took, with migration, maybe three hours. It was easy.

We have four people on staff that handle deployment and maintenance. These include an engineer, a specialist, and a person well versed in analysis.

We handled the deployment in-house. We did not need outside assistance from integrators or consultants.

We've seen an ROI of over $200,000 and maybe as much as $400,000.

We pay a yearly licensing fee. I can't speak to the exact price. There's only the licensing fee and not any extra ancillary fees.

We did look at pfSense and Sophos, however, we decided on Fortinet and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and end-user.

We always download the last update for this project, however, I don't remember the number of the update.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's easy to use, stable, and continuously improving.

Owner & CEO at a comms service provider with 1-10 employees
Stable, flexible and easy to use solution with a lifetime warranty
  • "Juniper Switches is stable, easy to use, flexible, and has good performance. Also, the technology is good. It has a lifetime warranty and the prices are also very good."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, they could extend the software warranty to be for its lifetime, as well. At the moment, the software warranty is limited, I think to one year."

What is our primary use case?

Juniper Enterprise Routers is a network solution that is good for the data center, for campus, and for branches' solutions, too.

What is most valuable?

Juniper Switches is stable, easy to use, flexible, and has good performance. Also, the technology is good. It has a lifetime warranty and the prices are also very good.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, they could extend the software warranty to be for its lifetime, as well. At the moment, the software warranty is limited, I think to one year.

I have been using Juniper switches for four years. We are using the latest version.

Our technical team for deployment and maintenance consists of two, mainly admin.

We have a hundred people using it in our organization.

They have a lifetime warranty for most products, which is good.

The initial setup is straightforward. They have a lot of tools to do the setup. They are also either remote or cloud-based for very technical people, with hands-on scripting, too.

There are Switches where you don't need to do anything and others where you have to do a lot of things because the environment is complex. So you don't know how long it will take.

But the deployment is easy enough. The issue is that the networks get more and more complex so you have to take care of all the details in the programming if you are setting up a complicated network. If you are setting up an easy network, you plug it in to the power and you are there.

When you buy the product, it has everything inside. Only very special cases require some licenses, but they are quite special and normally you'll have a reason to get these special licenses. So the licenses are quite good.

The license does not cost anything.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Juniper Enterprise Routers a 10.

I would definitely recommend Juniper Enterprise Switches for users who want to integrate it.

Owner & General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
We use it as a central router, and it is very stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a central router for both 10G and 100G ports. We are an internet exchange, so we need to have a router for connecting our partners. We use Juniper Enterprise Router only in the backbone application. We don't have any end users. Therefore, we don't heavily use access lists or filters, but we bought a firewall card in order to protect our root servers, web servers, etc.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

The third-level customer support coming from Juniper itself could be much better. To get assistance from Juniper, we sometimes have to wait for weeks and months. I don't really appreciate that. Their support should be faster.

I have been using this solution for around two years.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable.

We are very happy with the local support provided by our local system integrator, but to get assistance from Juniper, we sometimes have to wait for weeks and months. I don't really appreciate that. Their support should be faster.

Our experience is different for different Juniper boxes. The installation was okay for MX100, but it was not that easy for MX200. For QFX5120, it was a nightmare.

We are not an end-user provider. We are a backbone company. Internet exchange is the central point for the internet in every region. We have connected around 10 customers on one router. We have three routers in our network.

It is not a huge installation. You just need two people for its installation. My partner and I have 25 years of experience in the business, and we install it ourselves. We also take support from a system integrator. For the second level of support, we use JTAC.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Juniper Enterprise Routers a ten out of ten. We plan to keep using this solution.

Teuku Maiyasya - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at PT Bali Towerindo Sentra, Tbk
Reliable, high performance, and helpful support
  • "Juniper Enterprise Routers has a CLR and it's more reliable and faster than others."
  • "Juniper Enterprise Routers could improve by adding a graphical user interface(GUI). They do not have one. Most of our team has to have a background or expertise in Juniper. When compared to other solutions, they have a GUI. It will be easier for new team members to get familiar with, configure, or set up the router. Additionally, adding some monitoring tools would help us."

What is our primary use case?

We use Juniper Enterprise Routers in our network. For example, we use it for VNG, our distribution portal, and our botnet. W have many different Juniper for different functions.

What is most valuable?

Juniper Enterprise Routers has a CLR and it's more reliable and faster than others.

What needs improvement?

Juniper Enterprise Routers could improve by adding a graphical user interface(GUI). They do not have one. Most of our team has to have a background or expertise in Juniper. When compared to other solutions, they have a GUI. It will be easier for new team members to get familiar with, configure, or set up the router. Additionally, adding some monitoring tools would help us.

I have been using Juniper Enterprise Routers for approximately five years.

Juniper Enterprise Routers we have not had any major problems. However, we did have some problems but it has a backup router engine, and it did not affect our traffic and service.

Juniper Enterprise Routers is a scalable solution. The version of the solution we have is highly scalable which are the MX960 and MX480. We have some less advanced versions of the solution that are not as scalable.

I rate the technical support of Juniper Enterprise Routers a five out of five.

The support is helpful. The last time when we had to do some troubleshooting, they supported us and stayed up all night to help us troubleshoot.

I have not used any other solution.

The initial setup of Juniper Enterprise Routers is complicated.

We had some help from the Juniper engineers in setting Juniper Enterprise Routers up. Our implementation expert moved to another company and we are having a difficult time finding a replacement.

We have four to six engineers that are experts and they are supporting this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Juniper Enterprise Routers a nine out of ten.

Consultant at NE-Infracell
Straightforward to set up, and it performs well in small medium ISP
  • "The most valuable feature is the standard routing protocol."
  • "Enhancing the capacity would be a welcome improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator in Indonesia and the Juniper Enterprise Routers are one of the products that we implement for our clients. Our customers are communication service providers and ISPs.

What is most valuable?

The compact multi service router has higher specifications to handle large routing table

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better network automation user interface for trouble shooting and monitoring. So there is a centralized management  UI , to make user easier to monitor the router performance.

We have been working with Juniper routers for seven to eight years.

These routers are normally very stable.

These routers are definitely scalable and can be integrated easily into the environment.

Our customers are not very big companies. They have a base of between 100,000 and 200,000 customers.

We provide the first and second level of support to our customers. If we have a complex problems then we can contact the vendor through their portal on the website.

The initial setup is very straightforward. On average, they take two or three weeks to deploy.

We have engineers who are certified by Juniper and they deploy the routers for our customers.

Some of our customers find this product high, as they are comparing to Chinese products.

When customers evaluate products, the Juniper Enterprise Routers are normally compared to the Cisco Catalyst devices.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I find this to be a good product. The features are completely stable, customers are happy with their investment, although there is occasionally with the reliability of certain  modules.

I would rate this solution an nine out of ten.

Alejandro Erosa - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Owner at Dropsoft
A reliable edge routing that has scaled with my needs
  • "The most valuable feature is reliability."
  • "The web interface can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a wireless internet service provider that distributes internet service. We deal with two different service providers and the hardware we use includes Juniper Enterprise Routers.

This product is being used as my edge router.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is reliability. The hardware has been very good.

What needs improvement?

The web interface can be improved. It should be more user-friendly. I can't set up everything because it is a little bit hard to use.

I have been using the Juniper routers for between four and five months.

The stability of this product is very good.

Scalability-wise, this is a good solution.

I have approximately 400 users.

I would rate their technical support and eight out of ten. I would like to see a better product library or knowledge base. The manuals are there, but the information is very technical. Having more examples would be helpful.

I also use hardware from MikroTik and Ubiquity. I found that the hardware from MikroTik wasn't very good, and Juniper is more reliable.

I found the initial setup a little bit hard because I was learning it from the Juniper website as I was doing it. The deployment took about two months.

I deployed this solution on my own.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a very good product. It is a very stable solution and I can recommend it. The only difficulty is that it is hard to set up.

I would rate this solution and eight out of ten.