We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

JBoss OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

JBoss is #5 ranked solution in top Application Server tools. PeerSpot users give JBoss an average rating of 8 out of 10. JBoss is most commonly compared to IBM WebSphere Application Server: JBoss vs IBM WebSphere Application Server. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is JBoss?
Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (EAP), a market-leading, fully certified Java EE platform, gives you a single platform to quickly develop and deploy applications. Use traditional Red Hat JBoss EAP to gain business agility with your existing applications and reduce the costs of proprietary platforms.

Download the Application Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

JBoss Customers
Tata Sky, Nissan, Swedish Board of Agriculture, Novamedia, American Product Distributors, Advanced Micro Devices, Emirates Group, E*TRADE
JBoss Video

JBoss Pricing Advice

What users are saying about JBoss pricing:
"We pay for a maintenance license, but it is not expensive."

JBoss Reviews

Erick  Garcia Ramirez
Software Engineer at Globant
Good documentation, very stable, and scalable
  • "There's good documentation and a pretty good community surrounding the product."
  • "In general, the support of the ERPC would be really good due to the fact that, so far, I have not seen it."

What is our primary use case?

The product is basically middleware. What we have is several applications running on JBoss. Basically, it is very old and there we have those services exposed. Our target is to move them to ERPC, or something more modern, like REST or ESPC, or a combination of both.

What we currently have here, still, is SOAP services, which is a very old middleware. They also are using it for scheduling some items such as some recurrent procedures. They have a queue manager as well.

How has it helped my organization?

I've only been with this client in the last six months, however, the middleware has been the backbone for them for several years. The organization depends on it. The business depends on it.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

You can scale the solution.

There's good documentation and a pretty good community surrounding the product.

What needs improvement?

JBoss is too much for what we need. When it was developed, it made sense. I liked having all of these services and all of these applications mounted on vehicles due to the capability. We could have several clusters in one JBoss instance. Nowadays, that solution is kind of too much maybe. We're not using very distinctive capabilities.

If the client decides to keep on JBoss instead of migrating to services, to the different architecture, the next steps would be to take more advantage of the new features, changing the code to a Java 11 style. Of course, they need to modernize the services, and consider migrating to new stuff that is available already for items like REST. Or even the use of stuff like GraphQL.

In general, the support of the ERPC would be really good due to the fact that, so far, I have not seen it. I have not even tried GraphQL, however, having any of these new technologies for exposing services would be really, really good for JBoss, That's what is moving forward in the industry.

I've been using the solution for the last six months. It has been since June. Prior to that, I only had small chunks of time with some JBoss systems. If I would gather them all, it would be about eight months of collective experience with the product.

From what I have seen, the solution is stable. Even when it was migrated to the cloud to AWS, as it was first on-premises, it was capable of dealing with heavy loads. We never saw one of the instances crashing. We haven't seen a problem related to JBoss. The client is more concerned about how old the code is and of course, they want it to move to the cloud. That's why we started to move it to AWS. Now we're dockerizing in JBoss and taking it to GCP due to the fact that the target, at the end of the day, is to modernize everything. Whether if it remains in Google Cloud as a containerized set of applications, or it's split on services or have them both parallel migrating to services, it seems like it will remain stable.

On scalability, we have enough instances in production. I have not heard about any issues with scalability. It should be easy enough to do.

As far as I know, there are three or four applications that are using the middleware. And there are some other applications that use it as well. I have three and they are like portals.

I haven't really reached out to technical support in the past. If there's technical support needed on the code, typically I can check it out.

They have a strong community. I haven't had a need to reach out to them, however. They have good documentation for JBoss. It's available as long as you have an account and you can get the information that you might need for troubleshooting.

The solution already existed. I'm not sure if they had a different solution prior to this.

We arrived at this project. The solution was already set up. We haven't been implementing anything, we've been cleaning up all the projects. We've been making improvements on it. The solution already existed. Of course, there are things that can be leveraged, like the organization or the structure into the project. But no, the solution was already there. We have been dealing with it and parallel. We have been building a proposal to the client for migrating into small services.

I'm not sure of the exact pricing, however, my sense is that it's expensive as the client no longer wants to pay for it and would like to move away from it or onto the cloud.

What is currently being evaluated is what to use to replace this solution. The client is looking for a change.

For splitting the services into small microservices or small services, we are proposing the use of Quarkus which is a modern set of tools and of the same type as Red Hat, or Java. We are proposing Quarkus as the platform for building the services. Of course, we'll be using Java 11 for the services. We already have developed something on GRPC, and there's also the option to use REST. What we have found is less problematic when it comes to migrating, is to do a bunch of code is Quarkus precisely due to the fact that it allows us to use a lot of capabilities from Java's enterprise edition. Quarkus is the more modern technology that we have found for making it easier to make a transition.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We are currently migrating an application that was developed, on JBoss, and we are taking it to the Cloud.

The project was started on JBoss 6.2, however, now that we are mounting it in the Cloud, we're using JBoss EAP 7.3. The client doesn't want to pay more rights to RedHat. Now we're moving JBoss to WildFly, which is really easy. It's just to avoid the licenses.

The deployment version is on-premises. The productive version is still on AWS on-premises, on some virtual machines that the company paid for. However, when it comes to the cloud, we are installing it in Google Cloud. We are moving it. We have these deployments in parallel.

I could recommend this solution as I have seen that it's stable. There are some things that are still done in an old-fashioned way, however, it's still stable and you can find the connotation for that. You can have the option to use it in the cloud. We are using containers already for tables in the cloud. My advice would be simply to have it really clear why you want to use it. Alternatively, if you are going to have a really heavy application where you need everything together, of course, JBoss is a good option.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Application Server Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Greta high availability with an easy implementation and good performance
  • "The high availability is great."
  • "Sometimes the console has a glitch."

What is most valuable?

The high availability is great. Implementing it is very easy. Sometimes we only have to copy the installation or the house installation and change some parameters inside the host. After that, we run the instance in the console manager, and from the console manager, we can create new servers. It's very easy to implement a high availability installation. For me, that is the most important feature.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the console has a glitch. For example, we might send some commands to stop the servers and we get some logs or some errors from the console. After some minutes the services stop yet the console doesn't refresh the status.

Sometimes I miss the JDBC resources full administration from GlassFish. In GlassFish, you define the pool and if you have three or more domains you can deploy to each domain. However, in JBoss, you have to define each pool in every configuration. Sometimes you have to do extra work to define this JDBC force and that is something that sometimes is very annoying.

For the last three or four years I have been working as an Application Server Administrator using JBoss.

The stability of the solution has been good. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable and the performance is good.

The scalability is not always perfect, however, it's very good. For example, maybe sometimes we only have two instances as we don't know how to balance three instances. We have to know how it's working the load balancer of a session data when we lose one instance or one server, for example. Maybe we need to learn more about that.

I'd like some better documentation to find information about how it's working the load balancer in the high availability. We know that the load balancer is using the name of each instance and, for example, if we are using numbers on the line of each server, we know that from server one that the configuration is supposed to be to server two, and from the server two to server three, or something like that.

With JBoss right now we don't know. Maybe this is due to the fact that we only have two servers. With these two servers, it's enough for working and giving very good services. While we don't need to know that right now, maybe in the future we have to learn more or will have to search the documentation about how we have to configure our web server balancer or implement that load balancer with Jboss.

Before the new JBoss, we were using WebLogic, however, we changed off of that to Jboss. Recently, for the cost of paying one support for WebLogic, it's the same price to get a new subscription to JBoss. We were using the standard version for WebLogic and that version doesn't give us high availability in the future. That's why we decided to move on to Jboss. It's using a standard subscription and we get high availability with JBoss for the same price as we would pay the support for the WebLogic Standard Edition.

The implementation process is very easy.

For deployment, we only need three people. You don't require a big team.

If one person is used to deploy in the morning and then the other person is deploying in the afternoon. The next person is for learning from these two persons, therefore, basically, it's three people you need, however, maybe you could do it with two.

We pay to license on a yearly basis.

We were spending something like $12,000 in the first year. This year it's something close to $16,000.

We don't have additional fees or anything like that. It's a standard subscription.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers. We only consume this product. We don't distribute it or anything like that.

In the last three years, I've been implementing the JBoss application solution. I try to create a high availability implementation, however, sometimes I try to get all the stocks working. We have some dependence on the developers as sometimes they have to implement some special implementation in each class. Basically, we have a full tolerance and in a special application, we have the full high availability.

I use the on-premise deployment due to the fact that I'm working for a government institution. We have some policies for on-premise user data. If we get a new change in our policies, we are considering moving onto the cloud. That said, for us, the cloud is not cheap as we have a lot of data. Sometimes we have maps and a lot of images and that is very expensive due to the fact that on the cloud you have to pay for each legalized transfer. Sometime soon maybe we will implement a small project. We are not thinking about moving all the infrastructure.

We have something like 1,000 users, however, the most important system has something like 500 users. We have two principal systems. One is for the clients and the other one is for internal use. We have something like 500 users on each server.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Oracle, IBM and others in Application Server. Updated: January 2022.
565,304 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of Department at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Lightweight and reasonably-priced, but the support should be bundled with Red Hat support
  • "The most valuable feature is the UI."
  • "Having the support combined with Red Hat support would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

JBoss is a product that we implement for our clients. It is used as an application server and a web server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the UI.

This is a lightweight server.

What needs improvement?

The support should be bundled with the Red Hat OS support because as it is now, these are two separate costs. Having the support combined with Red Hat support would be an improvement.

We have been using JBoss for a couple of years.

We have not had any problems with the stability.

This is a scalable product.

Our application support team will contact JBoss support if they have an issue, but so far they have not needed to. We have not seen any major or critical problems.

We also have Oracle WebLogic in the company and some of the developers prefer to use JBoss. Three or four of our applications use JBoss and the remaining ones, which is most of them, use WebLogic.

In terms of memory, it is better than Oracle WebLogic.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment and maintenance. We have one person from the infrastructure team to help install and tune it. A second person performs day-to-day troubleshooting on it.

Once we deliver and deploy the server, there is another team to support the application.

This price of JBoss is cheaper than similar solutions like Oracle WebLogic. We pay for a maintenance license, but it is not expensive.

JBoss is what we settled on when we were searching for alternatives to WebLogic.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that for anybody who is searching for a lightweight application or web server, JBoss is one of the options that I recommend. We plan to continue using it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
Information Technology Consultant at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Reliable, scalable, and easy to use from a developer's perspective
  • "It is a Java-based product, so it is pretty straightforward. It is pretty easy from a developer's perspective. It is also pretty reliable and scalable."
  • "It can have automation features. Everybody is focused right now on automation. In terms of saving cost, automation is always the first thing that comes to light."

What is our primary use case?

I am working on a deal where JBoss is being renewed. It is a legacy version. The use case is around a financial institution that enables banks to do peer-to-peer transactions. Finance is the core business of the companies I'm working with.

What is most valuable?

It is a Java-based product, so it is pretty straightforward. It is pretty easy from a developer's perspective. It is also pretty reliable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

It can have automation features. Everybody is focused right now on automation. In terms of saving cost, automation is always the first thing that comes to light.

It is pretty reliable.

We have seen big enterprises using JBoss. So, it doesn't matter what the size of the organization is. JBoss can fit regardless of the size.

In terms of the number of users, in the organization I'm working with, there are 20 developers and a couple of infrastructure guys. They have a lot of developers in this particular organization.

There are no concerns in terms of support. They received support directly from Red Hat.

It is pretty straightforward from my perspective. The deployment duration depends on what you're trying to do with this solution, but it is pretty straightforward and can be deployed in a couple of hours.

They went for what they were comfortable with, and they weren't much interested in new solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Its recommendation depends on the vision of the organization. We need to have that understanding first before we provide them some sort of solution. It will depend on what they already have in place or what they're planning to do. Customers are moving to the cloud, and there are other alternatives out there, but of course, it will depend on understanding the journey of the customer.

I would rate JBoss an eight out of ten, just for how common it is to use Java as a language.

Individual Contributor at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, stable, and responsive support

What is our primary use case?

JBoss is used for our main applications, it is our core system. All the core systems that we use are on JBoss and we use mod_proxy combined with WildFly to do the load balancing. Additionally, we use automation using Red Hat Ansible Tower, and for a web server, we use Red Hat for the entrance.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.  If I use Red Hat JBoss and Red Hat web server, I can do more configuration. I use the AP server to control my webserver. I don't have to always log in to the webserver and change configuration or do all the changes. I can do all the configuration on the AP server, only using JBoss.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing more integration.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing more integration.

I have been using JBoss for approximately five years.

I have found JBoss to be much more stable than some solutions from IBM.

We have two users of JBoss in my organization.

I have been satisfied with the technical support, the speed at which they respond is good.

JBoss is easy to install.

We have two engineers in our company and they do the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate JBoss an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Application Server
Download our free Application Server Report and find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Oracle, IBM, and more!