Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is #12 ranked solution in top Help Desk Software. PeerSpot users give IBM SmartCloud Control Desk an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is most commonly compared to ServiceNow: IBM SmartCloud Control Desk vs ServiceNow. IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 57% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 21% of all views.
IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is IBM SmartCloud Control Desk?
IBM Control Desk on Cloud offer an access to a user friendly self-service, automated service management, and seamlessly-integrated, best-practice based service desk capabilities. IBM Control Desk provides the IT service management (ITSM) needed to simplify support of users and infrastructure. It also offers a unified IT asset and service management software provides a common control center for managing business processes for both digital and physical assets and enables control, governance and compliance to applications, endpoints and assets to protect critical data and prevent outages. Control Desk is IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)-compliant, accessible through mobile devices and integrates with social media and development tools.

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk was previously known as SmartCloud Control Desk.

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Customers
St Vincent's Health Australia, Kalibrate Pty. Ltd., Cognizant Technology
IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Video

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM SmartCloud Control Desk pricing:
  • "The licensing we have for IBM Control Desk is on a yearly basis. They have a concurrent license and an administrative license. And with these, you get all the products. There aren't any additional fees for extra add-ons or anything like that."
  • "The license for IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is paid yearly and is on a per-user basis. You buy the product and pay for its license yearly. IBM is changing the licensing structure, but for now, it's a yearly license. There's no additional cost. It's just the license that you need to pay for to use IBM SmartCloud Control Desk."
  • "It's basically for a big company because of the costs. A small company can't afford the licensing cost. For medium and large companies, it's the best product. The price of the license is on the higher side compared to others."
  • IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Reviews

Computer System Engineer at Informatika d.d.
    Helps us improve business processes with centrally managed requests, but the interface needs polish
    • "In the early stages of our company, all requests were done in notebooks, and none of it was centrally managed. But now we have a central tool which is an entry point for all requests that come in."
    • "The main issue that we hear from our customers is that the self-service user interface is a little bit old, possibly due to the fact that IBM is such a large enterprise company. People say that they think they're in the year 2004, because you can very clearly see that the technology is lagging behind modern trends."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM Control Desk to manage the requests that come in both externally from customers and internally within the company. The types of requests that we get through it primarily include requests to solve an issue or to perform some change.

Anything that needs to be reported along these lines gets reported through Control Desk and, according to our access logs, we typically have about 100 different users who log in to the tool each day.

In the beginning, we only used IBM Control Desk for service requests, but over time, and as we evolved as a business, we began to use it for more types of requests, such as those involving change management and incident management.

How has it helped my organization?

In the early stages of our company, all requests were done in notebooks, and none of it was centrally managed. But now we have a central tool which is an entry point for all requests that come in. This gives us more visibility into the requests and helps us in, for example, writing up reports and estimating how much time certain issues will take to resolve. Overall, it has helped us continuously improve our business processes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the service request application. For example, if some end user has trouble with, let's say, a product that we are providing them, he then opens a ticket. He writes down what's wrong, and maybe adds some pictures or attachments. He then sends the request to the controller, and then our first level support checks the ticket. If they can resolve the issue, they do. Otherwise, they forward it to the second level support, who will then take care of the ticket and resolve it.

What needs improvement?

From a certain point of view, I understand because it's an enterprise product, and they tend to focus more on stability rather than aesthetics. It's probably not that important for them. But for the customer, however, it is. Nowadays you need all the gadgets and it has to shine.

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about IBM SmartCloud Control Desk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using IBM Control Desk since 2012.

I can say it is very stable. Well, it depends how wide your usage is, but the application is not that complicated and you are not very dependent on integrations from other products.

The scalability is okay. Most of the time, you just need to make a few modifications here and there, and if it's a hardware or usage issue, we've had no problem overcoming these issues.

We currently have multiple implementations of it and our daily logins fluctuate at around 100 users. It's a tool that can give you a lot, and it is made for wide usage.

Their support is very good, because IBM is a stable firm and they have strong support behind their applications. Whenever we have had an issue, we've always managed to resolve it.

When I first joined our company, there wasn't any similar solution in place. I recall that they initially wanted to implement some other type of solution, but nobody tried pushing hard enough for it, I would guess.

So what we had before was a system where every employee who had an email address or telephone number was directly connected to the end users. End users therefore knew who to call and they also often resolved issues by email.

The setup is more or less straightforward, although that's speaking from a place of experience because I've been working with this tool for a long time. At the beginning, it can be a little bit complex, and one of our first deployments took around three to four months.

Of course, if nothing goes wrong, you can do it very quickly, perhaps in a week or less. But the configuration tends to take long because Control Desk supports IT processes, and if the company doesn't have a plan for these processes, they will need to create one. For instance, they need to create a classification tree which will be deployed to these tools, so the people will know what to choose when using them. So the configuration can take longer because of the extra processes that need to be set up alongside the installation.

Our first implementation was done by an external partner company, which was a good experience, but all of the other implementations of Control Desk have been done in-house. For on-going maintenance, since we're a somewhat small company, we only need one to two people.

The licensing we have for IBM Control Desk is on a yearly basis. They have a concurrent license and an administrative license. And with these, you get all the products. There aren't any additional fees for extra add-ons or anything like that. When you have the concurrent license, it just means that if you have 10 concurrent licenses, then 10 people can work on the product at the same time.

If you are an end user and you only want to report an issue, you have an unlimited license (i.e. no fee). The license only applies for the support team, as in the people who are using the application and resolving issues, and who have the power to delete or insert security permissions and configurations. The end user who only reports issues is not part of the licensing.

Price-wise, I have heard from some customers who want to buy Control Desk that they are a little disappointed in the price for licensing. It's not as cheap as some of the other products out there.

What other advice do I have?

IBM Control Desk definitely serves its purpose if users are willing to work with it. I think that with every new tool, there is some sort of resistance among users at first. But with Control Desk, it's a very simple process. You get a ticket, you resolve it, and you close it. That's pretty much all there is to it.

On the other hand, we have also started using it for more than just ordinary service requests. For example, we also use it for change management and incident management and we plan to extend its usage in these ways. But you have to evolve with it, I think, and extend the tool as you go along.

I would rate IBM Control Desk a seven out of ten.

Computer System Engineer at Informatika d.d.
    Has centralization and asset management features, and a helpful and knowledgeable technical support team
    • "A feature I found most valuable in IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is the service request. Another feature I like most about the solution is IT asset management, which tells you who owns a specific asset in the company and from which date."
    • "What needs improvement in IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is its graphical interface because it needs to be more user-friendly. IBM is a big company, but this solution is a little bit outdated. The most common comment I get from customers is that IBM SmartCloud Control Desk looks old and needs a refresh. Its frontend needs a little bit of work. The solution needs to be more modern. In the programming world, you see a lot of new technologies, but this particular solution is still on Java. IBM SmartCloud Control Desk isn't like web-based service request tools, and that's an area for improvement. What I'd like to see in the next version of the solution is a more upscale technology. IBM SmartCloud Control Desk has small issues with document links and attachments, and those could bother you when you're using it for a long time. A more user-friendly GUI is also another improvement I'd like to see in the next version of the solution, plus a better user experience, and it would be great if IBM could resolve the current issues I've noticed in IBM SmartCloud Control Desk."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use IBM SmartCloud Control Desk as a ticketing system for service requests. For example, in IT services companies, employees open service requests for products being used within their companies whenever they have issues or problems.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit my company gets from IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is centralization because previously, you had to have multiple tools for certain processes, but now, there's one structure for multiple services, with the services imported into the solution.

For example, if there's an issue you want to report, or if you need to request service, you can use IBM SmartCloud Control Desk because it has a structure or list of all services available. What I find most beneficial is you have all services in one place.

What is most valuable?

A feature I found most valuable in IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is the service request. Another feature I like most about the solution is IT asset management, which tells you who owns a specific asset in the company and from which date.

What needs improvement?

What needs improvement in IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is its graphical interface because it needs to be more user-friendly. IBM is a big company, but this solution is a little bit outdated. The most common comment I get from customers is that IBM SmartCloud Control Desk looks old and needs a refresh. Its frontend needs a little bit of work. The solution needs to be more modern.

In the programming world, you see a lot of new technologies, but this particular solution is still on Java. IBM SmartCloud Control Desk isn't like web-based service request tools, and that's an area for improvement.

What I'd like to see in the next version of the solution is a more upscale technology. IBM SmartCloud Control Desk has small issues with document links and attachments, and those could bother you when you're using it for a long time. A more user-friendly GUI is also another improvement I'd like to see in the next version of the solution, plus a better user experience, and it would be great if IBM could resolve the current issues I've noticed in IBM SmartCloud Control Desk.

I've been using IBM SmartCloud Control Desk for ten years now. I started using the solution in 2012.

I didn't have any issues with IBM SmartCloud Control Desk in terms of stability. It's a stable solution, and it doesn't have issues with availability.

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is a scalable solution.

The technical support team for IBM SmartCloud Control Desk was very helpful. My company opened a lot of tickets for this product and other IBM products, and the support team was very up-to-date and knowledgeable. The support team helped and resolved whatever issue my team raised.

On a scale of one to five, where one is the worst and five is the best, my rating for IBM SmartCloud Control Desk technical support is five.

My company used a different solution before using IBM SmartCloud Control Desk, but that was before I joined the company, so I don't know what it was called. You had to email the issues and those were resolved via email as well.

My company switched over to IBM SmartCloud Control Desk because using it made the process centralized compared to the previous solution. It could also be because the relationship with IBM was good, and the pricing was good, though I'm not 100% sure of the reasons for the switch.

The initial setup for IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is usually straightforward because I've been working with it for ten years. If you're doing the installation from scratch, or if you don't have historical data when installing the solution, it's straightforward, but if you do an upgrade from an older version, it can get a little bit tricky. Overall, setting up IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is straightforward, but with a few issues. Deploying the solution only took two hours to complete.

My team implemented IBM SmartCloud Control Desk.

The license for IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is paid yearly and is on a per-user basis. You buy the product and pay for its license yearly. IBM is changing the licensing structure, but for now, it's a yearly license.

There's no additional cost. It's just the license that you need to pay for to use IBM SmartCloud Control Desk.

What other advice do I have?

My company is still using IBM SmartCloud Control Desk and also implementing it for others.

My company is using the latest version of the solution, particularly version 7.6.1.4. Today, it's called IBM Control Desk, rather than IBM SmartCloud Control Desk.

Currently, my company has three thousand users of IBM SmartCloud Control Desk, if you count the end users. My organization has a lot of customers and multiple installations, and there's a plan to increase the number of users of IBM SmartCloud Control Desk because there's still one customer left that still hasn't implemented the solution, so the process of expanding its use is still in process.

The deployment and maintenance of the solution can be done by one person. I belong to a small company, so one person is enough, but if it's a big company, you can have one Db2 administrator and one system administrator, where one administrator will create a Db2 and the other will do the installation. Managing IBM SmartCloud Control Desk can also be done by one person.

I would recommend IBM SmartCloud Control Desk to others looking to implement it because it has a lot of functionalities, even if you won't use all. It's a product made for a wide spectrum of customers. Overall, it's a good product that I would recommend.

My rating for IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is eight out of ten. I didn't rate it as ten because there's always room for improvement.

My company is a customer of IBM SmartCloud Control Desk, not a partner.

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk
    September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Edwin  Salazar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Specialist at GBM (an IBM alliance Company)
    Easy to work with, offers good scalability, and has good reporting
    • "The solution is very easy to work with."
    • "The reporting in relation to updating could be improved upon."

What is our primary use case?

In my organization, we use the solution internally for internal customers so that we can control incidents, server requests, and handle some application integrations, etc.

While some clients use the product for other purposes, as well, essentially it is used to manage the client's organizations and the customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to work with.

The reporting is very strong.

The product offers good integrations and very good SLA integrations in particular.

What needs improvement?

The reporting in relation to updating could be improved upon. The need to make it easier to manage timing and time calculations. I found it to be a bit challenging. They could make it easier.

Technical support can be slow in terms of resolving issues.

I've been using the solution for about a year at this point. It hasn't been that long just yet. The solution is still fairly new.

Mostly, the stability is very good. That said, we have had clients that struggled with stability. This is likely due to their underlying hardware. If you have good hardware it shouldn't be an issue and it is quite reliable.

In one instance, I had a client who worked with Windows who was down two times a month every month. Once again, that was likely an issue related to the client's infrastructure and not a reflection on this product.

The scalability is quite good with this product. If a company needs to scale, it can do so. This is particularly true on the cloud side of things. We have clients that have migrated more than 1,000 users over a week with no issue. We only ran into one issue with a client in relation to migrating over a message service. The solution made some changes on the way they managed the notifications or something to that effect and we just had to make adjustments and try again.

Our company is pretty sizeable and we operate in seven countries. There are likely about 1,000 people in the company that use it internally, and about 10 who work the control desk.

Technical support is very good. When we open a ticket asking for support, they take a little bit of time to take effect. It can occasionally take one or two days sometimes to process a ticket. They could be faster in that regard.

The support is not coming from America, which is likely why there may be a delay. It may come from India or something like that. One of my last tickets, in December, it took a few weeks to get a resolution. It was a report issue and after submitting the ticket, it took two days to a week to request that I run a test which had to be done over and over. Finally, after half a month it was resolved. While a bit slow, at least they followed through until the problem was properly dealt with.

The initial setup can be a bit complex if you don't have a good understanding of the product. There's a bit of a learning curve for sure. It gets easier, however. At least, it did for me. I started with only a little bit of information, and I didn't have all the knowledge and that was hard. I got confused by the process. However, then I made another implementation. That one, I had a far better understanding and that made it easy. Experience really matters. If you don't have any, you will struggle. That said, once you do, it's pretty straight forward.

While my first deployment took two weeks, the last one I did only took two days. Therefore the deployments can vary according to the amount of experience the user has.

What other advice do I have?

We're an IBM partner.

We use both cloud and on-premises deployment models. Some customers use the cloud, others prefer on-premise. We're able to implement both.

For those considering the solution, I would advise that an organization makes sure they have the right hardware in place and the right versions of each package. This will make implementation easier and keep the solution stable.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Overall, the experience has been very positive.

Edwin  Salazar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Software Specialist at GBM (an IBM alliance Company)
    Good integrations, good reports, and good scalability
    • "SLA integrations, reports, and integration with other applications are the most valuable."
    • "The time calculations can be improved. While working on reports, it was taking the time only in seconds, which was hard for me to work out. While creating some dialogs in the service portal, you have to use certain data types in some fields. It was very tricky to make them work. I was testing a certain type of input, and it didn't work. It didn't show me the domain that the fields have to show. I had to make the change to the database, and only then it worked. It was a tricky thing to make them work with the dialogs. Their technical support can also be improved in terms of response time."

What is our primary use case?

In my organization, we use it for internal customers for incident control, server requests, and application integration. Our clients use it for different purposes, but essentially, it is used to manage a client's organization and customers. Some of the clients have cloud deployments, and some of the clients have on-premises deployments.

What is most valuable?

SLA integrations, reports, and integration with other applications are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Their technical support can also be improved in terms of response time.

I have been using this solution for around a year.

Some of our clients had stability issues because of the hardware. I had one client for whom it was down two times every month. This client had a Windows implementation, but the issue was more because of the client's infrastructure, not because of the implementation of the solution.

Its scalability is good. Our company is a little bit big. We are in around seven countries. We have around 1,000 people in the company who use this solution to make server requests. In my area, we have around 10 people who work with this solution.

When we open a ticket for support, they take a little bit of time. Even if we create a high priority request, they don't respond quickly and take one or two days. This probably is because the support is not coming from America. They are based in India or somewhere else. I had created a ticket for a customer in December, and it took more than half a month for resolution. It was a report issue, and I got the same response from them two days a week asking me to do the same test again and again. It took them more than half a month to resolve the issue.

I had a little bit of information or knowledge when I implemented it, and it was difficult. I got confused, and I had to make another implementation. I have more knowledge and experience now, and it is easy for me. If you have all the information from a knowledge center, you can do it easily. My first deployment took around two weeks, and the last one didn't take more than two days.

Half a year ago, we migrated it from 7.5 to 7.6 for one of the clients, and it was not hard. It was a 2015 implementation. It took around one week to migrate to the cloud. We only had one issue with the message service. We have a custom class to send messages, and when we migrated, the solution made some changes in the way the notifications are managed, and the class didn't work. We had to create the class again to make it work.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make sure to have the right hardware and the right versions of each package. Only then the implementation is going to be good. Make a plan to know what the clients really want to do because if you don't know it, it is going to be very hard.

I would rate IBM SmartCloud Control Desk an eight out of ten.

IT Service Desk Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Stable but clunky and lacks a user interface
    • "The solution has been stable."
    • "The solution lacks a graphical user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for ITSMs - for our ticketing, change management, and problem management.

What is most valuable?

The solution has been stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks a graphical user interface. They should work to implement one in the future.

It's not very easy to make changes. They need to make it easier to adjust items as necessary.

The product is kind of clunky to use.

The scalability could be better. It's only scalable to a moderate extent. There are limitations on the capabilities.

I've been dealing with the solution for almost two years at this point. It hasn't been too long.

In general, it's been pretty stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty reliable overall in terms of performance.

The level of scalability is average. If a company needs to expand, it should be able to do so, at least to a certain extent.

There are certain things that I know we've got a team that can handle and I know that some things that we ask them to do, they simply can't do. It's a mixed bag.

We probably have a total of maybe 4,000 people that use it. Most of them are our end-users and they'll use it for ticketing. As far as actually using the features, we've got people that use it for our support, we use it for change management, and we've got problem management with it, as well as service requests.

I wouldn't be able to speak to the capabilities of technical support. I've never reached out to them in the past. I wouldn't be able to evaluate their level of responsiveness or knowledgeability.

If I ever have any questions, I can always direct them to our internal team as opposed to reaching out to IBM.

The company changed to IBM happened before I arrived. It is my understanding that the organizations previously used Remedy, and switched to Maximo for asset management for our facilities and maintenance group. They then moved to the IBM Control Desk piece of it.

The initial setup was handled before I arrived at the company. I can't speak to how easy or hard it was to actually implement the product.

We have about four or five people that handle various aspects of maintenance.

I don't have any insights on licensing. It's not part of the solution that I handle. I can't comment on the costs or how often we need to pay a licensing fee.

No. It was chosen because our Facilities / Maintenance department moved to Maximo for asset management.

What other advice do I have?

We're not on the latest release of the solution.

We're using just IBM Control Desk. I know that there's an upgraded IBM control desk for Maximo that we're going to look into, however, this is just for the IBM Control Desk itself.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a five out of ten.

Shafqat Paracha - PeerSpot reviewer
    General Manager at sPerception IT
    An IT service management solution with a useful workflow feature, but the user interface could be more user-friendly
    • "The workflow capability is useful. It's not a manual helpdesk operation. It's fully automated, even when an alarm has occurred. It covers the complete cycle of initiation to resolving the events. This is its most strong feature that is easily integrable with a monitoring solution. It creates tickets, and the workflow feature is the most important one."
    • "The user interface is not very interesting. If you look at other products like JIRA and ServiceNow, they have made it much easier for the end-users. Maybe not ServiceNow, but JIRA is quite flexible. From a presentation point of view, IBM should make more user-friendly interfaces."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our telco-base. We are getting events from their VTS, like different telecommunication sites, and then processing it through another IBM tool called the Impact. This converts them into incident responses or service requests, or tickets. It's then escalated to the respective clients. Once the issue is resolved, and the ticket is closed, it's informed to the client and the user.

What is most valuable?

They keep on continuously adding new features. You might have seen the chat option, and the integration is also an API-based product, and everything can be integrated.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is not very interesting. If you look at other products like JIRA and ServiceNow, they have made it much easier for the end-users. Maybe not ServiceNow, but JIRA is quite flexible. From a presentation point of view, IBM should make more user-friendly interfaces.

I have been using IBM SmartCloud Control Desk for the last 13 years.

It's quite a stable product.

It's scalable.

To be honest, it's very hard to find an expert the first time. Maybe they initially get assigned to level one. Then after the initial investigation, move to level two and then gradually move on. I don't have any complaints at the moment.

The initial setup is straightforward. Basically, for all the solutions like JIRA and cloud desk solutions, you need not go for the installation. You would just need to subscribe. But for the on-prem solution, the initial setup is a normal one.

We provide pre-sales and after-sales services. We implement the solution, and then we provide after implementation services. Now we have a contract for the next five years to provide support services for clients.

It's basically for a big company because of the costs. A small company can't afford the licensing cost. For medium and large companies, it's the best product. The price of the license is on the higher side compared to others.

What other advice do I have?

If anyone is looking to adopt any helpdesk solutions, they must go for this product. If a company is willing to go for any cloud-based applications, this is the best product for them. My recommendation is to go for IBM Control Desk.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM SmartCloud Control Desk a seven.