We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

IBM Rational Quality Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational Quality Manager is #9 ranked solution in top Load Testing Tools and #15 ranked solution in top Quality Management Tools. PeerSpot users give IBM Rational Quality Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Rational Quality Manager is most commonly compared to Micro Focus ALM Quality Center: IBM Rational Quality Manager vs Micro Focus ALM Quality Center. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is IBM Rational Quality Manager?
IBM Rational Quality Manager is a collaborative hub for business-driven software and systems quality across virtually any platform and type of testing. This software helps teams share information seamlessly, use automation to accelerate project schedules and report on metrics for informed release decisions. Rational Quality Manager helps quality assurance teams collaborate by sharing project information and status updates seamlessly so team members can synchronize teamwork throughout the lifecycle. It helps them automate by reducing labor-intensive activities to accelerate project schedules. In addition, it helps them govern by understanding and reporting on project metrics enabling accurate, reliable and timely release decisions.

IBM Rational Quality Manager was previously known as Rational Quality Manager.

Download the Test Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

IBM Rational Quality Manager Customers
Ehrhardt, Cisco Systems, Anadolu Hayat Emeklilik, CareCore National, ItaÒ BBA, Barr
IBM Rational Quality Manager Video

Archived IBM Rational Quality Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Setembrino Lusa
Engenheiro de Software - DevOps - Agile - Application Lifecycle Management Practice Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It allows users to assign each other tasks and view the status of the assigned tasks
  • "Reusability and integration capabilities which make it a great choice for organizations that use a variety of development tools and platforms."
  • "Mainly Quality Assurance and DevOps, but of course the whole company and management areas with more knowledge of quality and client success approach."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

The software lets users register their role and create task or test-specific teams, and it allows users to assign each other tasks and view the status of the assigned tasks.

At least 10 years.

Few configuration issues on different browsers, not that serious.

Yes, I had some, but after sending requests to the IBM support team, some fixes were applied and we could keep going.

No, always thinking of sizing, we can keep the services online.

Very good, attention and velocity to understand and solve issues.

Very good, attention and velocity to understand and solve issues.

For the CLM tools, IBM provides a good 'automatic setup', but on the WebSphere side, there is a lot of complex configuration to attend the services.

There were a lot of projects. Many of them through a vendor, some as an IBM employee and few as a consultant, in-house.

Always delivered with high expertise.

Good to high.

There are various licensing and pricing options available for the software, so organizations should be sure to contact IBM to decide which license best serves their needs. Each license includes 12 months of customer support. A free 90-day trial of the software is also available.

HPE Quality and some others.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good choice on ensuring the expected software quality for projects.

Shuchita Tripathi
Senior Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
The product is highly customizable, however there are some bugs in almost every new release
  • "Latest features include versioning of testings which can be great when used for multiple releases of a product."
  • "Integration capabilities with other vendors' tools should improve."

What is most valuable?

• Ease and clarity of the tool when using it. Easy web-based administration.
  • Highly customizable
  • Rational Quality Manager (RQM) when used with other CLM tools (provided by IBM) gives great traceability features.
  • Latest features include versioning of testings which can be great when used for multiple releases of a product.

How has it helped my organization?

• Instead of writing test scripts, we now use a tool which makes managing extremely easy.
  • Testing can be linked with requirements, which makes traceability very easy.

What needs improvement?

Integration capabilities with other vendors' tools should improve.

I have used it on and off until now (from 2011).

Yes, there are some bugs present in almost every release.

Excellent. You always get the proper response.

Setup is pretty straightforward. It can be a little too much for beginners, but the steps are not complex.

Never got involved in pricing, however the licenses of these tools (the whole CLM package) is very costly as compared to other vendors' tools.

We evaluated the whole package - IBM CLM, HPE ALM, and Microsoft TFS.

What other advice do I have?

This tool would be great if it was used with a package (IBM CLM, includes DNG, RQM, and RTC, as major tools).

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, IDERA and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Test Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Integrated with CCM and RM to achieve traceability. Difficult to maintain test cases as their number grows.
  • "It allows user to add whichever widget (predefined) based on the need. It has integration with CCM and RM to achieve traceability."
  • "Organizing the test cases is tedious. There is no mechanism to keep and maintain the test cases as hierarchy. This should be seriously addressed."

What is most valuable?

VF dashboard view looks okay. It allows user to add whichever widget (predefined) based on the need. It has integration with CCM and RM to achieve traceability.

What needs improvement?

Organizing the test cases is tedious. There is no mechanism to keep and maintain the test cases as hierarchy. This should be seriously addressed. As the number of test cases grows, it’ll be really difficult to maintain the test cases. The tool should be able to support and maintain the test cases in a folder-wise structure to identify the different module/phase-wise test cases.

Around three years.

Not applicable.

Yes. Customer requirement.

Not applicable.

What other advice do I have?

I suggest to go for other tools. As the number of test cases grow, it’ll be really difficult to maintain the test cases. The tool should be able to support and maintain the test cases in a folder-wise structure to identify the different module test cases.

Qaiser Islam, Spc4
Senior System Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Global Configuration allows the user to maintain different versions of the same artifact. It does not provide inbuilt capabilities for managing the tasks related to testing.

What is most valuable?

In the latest version, Global Configuration is the most promising feature as it allows the user to maintain different versions of the same artifact in different streams. Another feature that I consider important is integration with the automation tools.

How has it helped my organization?

Reporting on the QA activities as well as managing test execution cycles helped our organization to better manage the QA activities.

What needs improvement?

There are a couple of things that can be improved:

1. The user interface can be improved; it is the same interface that I have been seeing for the past so many years, whereas the other CLM modules changed significantly.
  2. It does not provide inbuilt capabilities for managing the tasks and planning activities related to testing. For this purpose, you need to buy another module, i.e., IBM Rational Team Concert (RTC).

I have used this solution for seven years.

Recently, we encountered some defects related to the global categories. We opened the defects with IBM, and later on, they provided us with a fix pack.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is above average.

The setup was a bit complex as it requires some expertise.

Two types of licensing policies are available:

1. There is the Authorized license which is bound to the user, i.e., if the user is not using it, then others can't use it either.
  2. There is floating one, which is a pool of licenses (if the user is not using it, then others can use it).

When I joined my current organization, they were already using IBM RQM.

What other advice do I have?

Tweak your testing process. It is also better to align the organization in terms of how the tool works.

it_user321231
Marketing and Sales at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It integrates with third-party automation test tools, but the management of artifacts need improvement.

Valuable Features:

Integration throughout the complete product development process. Also, the integration of third-party automation test tools.

Improvements to My Organization:

Easy collaboration between several development teams such as design, development, and testing.

Room for Improvement:

Management of artefacts Support of paramater needs to be easier

Use of Solution:

I've used it for three years.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Initial Setup:

It was easy.

Implementation Team:

It was done in-house.

ROI:

Project realization has been carried out much faster. The integration of test automation tools.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Valuable Features:

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

• Management of artefacts
  • Support of paramater needs to be easier

Use of Solution:

I've used it for three years.

Deployment Issues:

Implementation Team:

It was done in-house.

ROI:

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Use workgroup licenses for smaller environments.

Other Advice:

Plan the training and usage properly. Also, proper planning of the architecture and test execution artefacts needs to be dond.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a business partner of IBM.