IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Huawei NGFW OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Huawei NGFW is #26 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Huawei NGFW an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. Huawei NGFW is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate: Huawei NGFW vs Fortinet FortiGate. Huawei NGFW is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 64% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 40% of all views.
Huawei NGFW Buyer's Guide

Download the Huawei NGFW Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Huawei NGFW?

In addition to all the functions of conventional firewalls, Huawei NGFW also provides more advanced security functions, such as IPS and anti-malware functions, to identify applications and prevent application-layer threats. Huawei NGFW provides a global context awareness architecture for granular controls based on application, content, time, user, attack, and location (ACTUAL). The innovative SmartPolicy technology and management interfaces that can be easily integrated simplify the O&M management. The Intelligence Awareness Engine (IAE) uses an integrated architecture to perfectly balance security and performance. Huawei NGFW provides next-generation security featuring comprehensive protection, granular control, and OM simplicity to meet the requirements of enterprise networks on access control, scope of protection, usability, and performance in the new ICT landscape.

Huawei NGFW was previously known as Huawei USG Firewalls, USG9500 Series, USG6600 Series, USG6300 Series.

Huawei NGFW Customers

KMITL, Peking University

Huawei NGFW Video

Huawei NGFW Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Huawei NGFW pricing:
  • "When you compare the price with other products, it's quite cost-effective. But the problem is always after, let's say, two years or three years later because they are not able to provide updates or patches very quickly."
  • "The price of the license of this solution is high."
  • "I believe that we are entitled to a one-year extension on our licensing."
  • Huawei NGFW Reviews

Chief Information Security Officer at Scil Animal Care Company S.r.l.
    It's reliable and simple to use
    • "Huawei support is excellent. I rate it 10 out of 10."
    • "One issue is integration. Huawei can't detect Indicators of Compromise (IoC). I can get a lot of information about security, but can't automatically input the EP, domain URL, and file hashes I get from Hackersworld into my blocklist."

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei for a firewall and router switching with some components of our network. It's the first line of defense for our infrastructure. Our USG protects the navigation and communication of a lots of people. We have a big fiber channel network with more than 600 kilometers of fiber.

We have our environment and our technical needs, and if those can't be met by our base configuration we need to seek out an additional solution with extra features. In USG, we have both BBN and OBBN as well as some additional security features, like ATS and anti-spam.

What is most valuable?

We have a lot of experience with the Huawei firewall, so we understand it well.

What needs improvement?

One issue is integration. Huawei can't detect Indicators of Compromise (IoC). I can get a lot of information about security, but can't automatically input the EP,  domain URL, and file hashes I get from Hackersworld into my blocklist.

It's a limitation. I have raised this issue with Huawei, but the feature isn't anywhere on the roadmap at the moment. I must manually input the rules, but the firewall has limits on the number of rules you can enter. The firewall hangs once you reach that limit.

It's it a big problem for us, but we are almost able to solve it. We are switching to another solution because Huawei doesn't have the security feature we need on its roadmap.

We've been using Huawei for five or six years.

Huawei NGFW
    August 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Huawei NGFW. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This product is at the end of its life, so I don't think it could be scale up. I'm not sure because I haven't verified it.

Huawei support is excellent. I rate it 10 out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Because five or six years ago, we added a next-generation firewall like USG. It was a traditional firewall in that period. And now, we are going to another solution because we need more feature again.

I don't remember much about the deployment because it was several years ago, but I can say that Huawei was easy to deploy and only took a few days. We converted our old firewall and configured it.

We deployed it ourselves.

We haven't yet decided which solution we are going to use next, but we have two goals. The first is automation of IOC rules. The second is the native integration with our SIEM, which Huawei doesn't have.

It's another big limitation because the Syslog of the firewall is a world in itself. It's difficult to understand how many kind of rules there are in the Syslog. It's difficult to integrate completely if the communication of the Syslog from the SIEM isn't automatic and native.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Huawei NGFW eight out of 10. It's an excellent product that's stable and simple to use. I don't have anything bad to say about Huawei, but it's only a partial solution for my total needs.

It's a good product if you don't need a specific security feature. Huawei has its own IoC solution, so they give the customer the opportunity to connect the firewall to a central Huawei system that accepts the IoC data. It could be good for an organization that doesn't have their own security dataset. I have a threat-sharing system, so I would like to use mine, but it's not possible.

Technical Lead at Computer Marketing Company Pvt Ltd
    Good interface and easy to set up but needs more documentation
    • "The user interface is very, very good."
    • "The solution doesn't seem to be very mature. Our networking team says they are experiencing a lot of issues in the firewalls and some routers."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very, very good.

There are lots of great features within the product.

Overall, it seems to be a pretty good firewall.

What needs improvement?

There are fewer use cases available on the net. Examples are available on the net for configuring some of their features. Our team has found that they have to refer to the documents and they need to do a lot of tweaking and experimenting with features. There have been some difficulties in getting some features enabled on the firewalls and routers.

I've been using the solution for four to five months.

The stability is okay. It could be more stable. However, our team seems to think it's fine right now. We haven't had it up for too long. We need to give it a bit of time to see if there's anything that stands out.

We haven't had the solution for very long. It's hard to tell just yet if it can scale well.

We have about 500-700 users that are covered under this firewall. We do plan to increase usage over the next three to four years or so.

Generally, technical support is quite good.

It could be a bit faster in terms of reaction time. Basically, their response is very good. However, sometimes they need lots of logs and information before solving any of our issues. It takes too long occasionally due to this requirement, and our production suffers a loss in services. Sometimes it's very good, and sometimes it's slower. It's not really constant, although I wouldn't say they are bad.

For a basic installation, the initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward.

If you're talking about a basic installation, you are looking at a three or four-day deployment. However, we often have to configure many items and that takes some time. In total, you may be looking at maybe ten to 15 days before you have a complete solution.

Our network department dedicated almost 3% of staff to getting everything up and running, and there are four firewalls. However, for the networking department, we have lot of engineers working on Huawei products as well.

We mostly handled the deployment ourselves, although we did get Huawei to help us in certain aspects.

I don't deal with the licensing process, so I can't speak to the pricing of the solution. I am unsure as to if it is too expensive or not.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution currently.

I'd recommend the product to other organizations. So far, for us, it's worked pretty well.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten. I'm sure as it matures and they add more features according to their client's requirements, it will get better. While they need more online documentation we can see it's already getting better. It just needs more time to develop as a product.

Huawei NGFW
    August 2022
    622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Software Manager at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
    A next generation firewall solution that's easy to implement, but technical support could be better
    • "I like that the initial setup is straighforward. It's also a scalable solution."
    • "With the Huawei firewall, none of the features comes at the top. We found out later that customer support is really not good. For this firewall, because of our customers' routine, for example, every six months they'll do a penetration test to find weaknesses. So whenever they came up with VAPT reports, they are looking to Huawei for help. I think that's basically because it's a different culture. Chinese culture and our culture is different. They have always tried to help find some excuses or say some other things that cannot help you solve the problem immediately."

What is our primary use case?

We use Huawei NGFW for our internal infrastructure. We also implement it for our customers. Our primary use case is for our internal protection. Then for end-users we we implement Huawei firewalls.

What is most valuable?

I like that the initial setup is straighforward. It's also a scalable solution.

What needs improvement?

With the Huawei firewall, none of the features comes at the top. We found out later that customer support is really not good. For this firewall, because of our customers' routine, for example, every six months they'll do a penetration test to find weaknesses. So whenever they came up with VAPT reports, they are looking to Huawei for help. I think that's basically because it's a different culture. Chinese culture and our culture is different. They have always tried to help find some excuses or say some other things that cannot help you solve the problem immediately.

I have been working with Huawei NGFW for five years.

It's a stable solution.

I think Huawei is still okay. Scalability is not an issue. Basically, you don't have very tight control like the Cisco firewall. Maybe a very tight control in the number of concurrent connections if you acquire a license for this. Huawei is quite not so tight. It's quite easy to handle all this stuff.

Technical support could be better. The reason is that the Huawei support team is mainly in China. The communication would be mostly in Mandarin. I don't know what's wrong with the China part because whatever email communication comes to us, it looks like it was scanned. Most of the email attachments couldn't go through. Sometimes you request further analysis but unfortunately, all these attachments weren't able to go through. It's the same to even sign out of some solutions. You find software upgrade for new versions, but you're also not able to go through to manage a great firewall. So communication is a major concern.

The initial setup is okay because you basically have to follow the user interface and configuration. Setup is quite easy to follow as long as you have all these network consents and firewall knowledge, you can do it easily.

When you compare the price with other products, it's quite cost-effective. But the problem is always after, let's say, two years or three years later because they are not able to provide updates or patches very quickly.

What other advice do I have?

We cannot recommend Huawei NGFW to others. For ourselves, we've already made a decision not to buy this product in the future.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Huawei NGFW a six.

Information Systems Infrastructure Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reseller
    Can help during implementation, however, offers bad documentation and technical support is not helpful
    • "Huawei was able to assist us in the installation of their product. The installation was very fast."
    • "The documentation needs to be improved. When they retire old models, they also retire the documentation. However, if you are still using an older model, you still need access to that documentation. And yet, they go ahead and removed it. It's gone. You are therefore stuck with a device with no documentation and technical support that isn't very helpful as they also remove support assistance as well."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The usage for the data center wasn't that good. It needs to be improved.

The support is not very good.

The documentation needs to be improved. When they retire old models, they also retire the documentation. However, if you are still using an older model, you still need access to that documentation. And yet, they go ahead and removed it. It's gone. You are therefore stuck with a device with no documentation and technical support that isn't very helpful as they also remove support assistance as well. They tend to use this method to force you into upgrading.

However, even in newer models, we've noticed the documentation isn't the best. It's very limited across the board.

We've been using the product for about two and a half years at this point. We started using it somewhere between 2016 and 2018.

The scalability isn't that great. On top of that, if you want to expand, you need to buy more of the product.

90% of the telecommunication equipment in our organization is Huawei, so it has been used quite extensively.

Their technical support needs to be much better. We couldn't get help when we needed it. We haven't been satisfied with their level of service.

We used to use Cisco's ASA Firewall, however, we discontinued it seven years ago.

We've also stopped using Huawei and are now using Sophos.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward and the deployment was relatively quick due to the fact that we had assistance from Huawei.

We had direct assistance from Huawei.

The licensing was a cause of concern for us. The price ended up being quite high. We weren't expecting it.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

We haven't been too satisfied with the solution and so we have decided to move from it to Sophos.

I wouldn't recommend the solution. We've had a lot of issues with licensing and support, among other concerns.

Overall, I'd rate the solution four out of ten.

NOC Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Excellent technical support and reliable, but priced high

What is our primary use case?

We were using the solution for everything in our network, such as content filtering, IDS, and IPS. However, because of license issues, we had to stop using the solution.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

The stability is good. We had an issue once but there was a patch available we did not know about that fixed the issue.

The solution is scalable but it is difficult because you need to purchase new systems, it is not just one click.

The support for the solution has been excellent. If we ever had an issue they would send an engineer to help us with our problem.

The price of the license of this solution is high.

I have evaluated pfSense.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others that want to implement this solution that the cost is high for licenses and if you want to scale the solution you will have additional hardware costs.

We have recently switched to pfSense because of licensing issues.

I rate Huawei NGFW a seven out of ten.

ZelalemGedefie - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior System Administrator at Debre Markos University
    A containerized data center provides prevention, intrusion detection and antivirus features
    • "We make use of the new data center, specifically the containerized data center which is built and reviewed by Huawei, including all the device's infrastructure."
    • "The solution could be more secure and have better integration."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for prevention, intrusion detection and its antivirus features.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more secure and have better integration. The bandwidth management utilization could stand improvement.

I have been using Huawei NGFW for two years.

We used pfSense prior to the solution.

Installation is handled by the provider. When a containerized data center is involved, it's built by the deliverers, who are based in China.

I believe that we are entitled to a one-year extension on our licensing.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is cloud-based.

There are over 10,000 users using the solution in our organization.

For the moment, I cannot recommend the solution.

I rate Huawei NGFW as a nine out of ten.

Download our free Huawei NGFW Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: August 2022