We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

HPE EVA OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is HPE EVA?
Lean IT budgets require more efficient ways of managing data. Driving business growth and agility requires simple yet flexible storage that reduces costs while maintaining application availability. With an installed base of over 100,000, mid-sized organizations count on HP EVA Storage. This fifth-generation, virtualized storage array provides availability while increasing productivity and capacity utilization.

HPE EVA was previously known as EVA P6000 series, HP EVA.

Download the Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

HPE EVA Customers
Bank Simpanan Nasional, EDF, Saint Mary's University, Thomson Reuters
HPE EVA Video

Archived HPE EVA Reviews (more than two years old)

Senior System Engineer at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Leaderboard
Easy to set up and it never once failed

What is our primary use case?

We use it for some backup solutions. It was a very good solution. Now, it's an old system, and it's okay. It's working fine.

How has it helped my organization?

In general, my boss feels that HPE's prices are very high. In the future we will probably buy a cheaper system. Regarding EVA itself, it's an old system. If I had to suggest an improvement it would be good if they used active-active controllers. Now it is active-passive. But, as I said, this system has been abandoned by HPE.

What is most valuable?

It has never failed and I have never lost data due to failure.

It's very stable.

It's very scalable.

We used technical support a few times, mainly when we had to do firmware updates. The local Croatia HPE support is very good.

The initial setup was easy.

In our most recent round, the vendors on our short-list were Reduxio, Pure Storage, and IBM Storewize.

What other advice do I have?

My most important criteria when selecting a vendor are

• price
  • dedupe
  • compression.

I rate EVA a 10 out of 10 because of its stability, ease of maintenance, ease of setup, Snapshots, and good user interface.

Senior Technology Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
There is reliable support for HDD replacement

What is our primary use case?

Our Development/UAT environment used SAN and this array provided the dev space for it. We use two devices (EVA4400 and EVA 6300 for dev/UAT, but not for production).

How has it helped my organization?

There have been no fail-stop failures for the last five years.

What is most valuable?

Reliability Performance  We cannot stop this SAN array. It has never failed since it was started. We have not had a problem with it at all.

What needs improvement?

Performance could probably be improve with faster controllers, but it is already an old device. We do have performance problems now, but it is a rather old device, so we have what we have.

More than five years.

What do I think about the stability of the

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

There have been no fail-stop failures for the last five years.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability
  • Performance

What needs improvement?

It is very stable.

HPE has reliable support for HDD replacement.

Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, NetApp, Dell EMC and others in Modular SAN (Storage Area Network). Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user363204
Head of IT Operations and Support at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's helped us with virtualizing all our servers. It needs to be more stable.

Valuable Features

It's fast, reliable, and it's very good for the price.

Improvements to My Organization

A few years ago, we had a project for virtualizing all our servers. We chose HP products, services, and storage, including EVA, for this project. It worked out very well.

Room for Improvement

EVA needs to be more stable. Maybe HP should evaluate our problems and take some notes for future products.

The stability issues aside, the product deploys fine when it works.

It could be just this particular model, but the storage is not so stable. We have three of them and all of them have one defect or another. We're now looking to make the choice to buy something new.

I can't say whether this scales because it hasn't…

Valuable Features

It's fast, reliable, and it's very good for the price.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

The stability issues aside, the product deploys fine when it works.

I can't say whether this scales because it hasn't been stable enough for us.

Technical support is very knowledgable.

Other Advice

Whether you choose this solution will depend on your business use case. Of course, it will also depend on whether they can make changes to it so that it remains stable.

Download our free Modular SAN (Storage Area Network) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, NetApp, Dell EMC, and more!