IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

HPE Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE Ethernet Switches is #10 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give HPE Ethernet Switches an average rating of 8 out of 10. HPE Ethernet Switches is most commonly compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: HPE Ethernet Switches vs Cisco Ethernet Switches. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 36% of all views.
What is HPE Ethernet Switches?

HP has created the most open, integrated and software-defined networking portfolio and ecosystem of its kind – driving simplification with networks that understand, adapt to and protect your business applications in real-time. Only HP extends the momentum of software-defined networking everywhere–from the mobile edge to the heart of data centers.

HPE Ethernet Switches was previously known as HP Ethernet Switches.

HPE Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

HPE Ethernet Switches Customers
Emirates Palace Hotel
HPE Ethernet Switches Video

HPE Ethernet Switches Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "This is an expensive product."
  • "The pricing is very good."
  • HPE Ethernet Switches Reviews

CIO at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Extremely stable with good technical support and relatively fair pricing
    • "The solution is very, very stable."
    • "The installation can be quite complex. However, that may not be the fault of HP and is rather more related to the way our infrastructure is arranged."

What is our primary use case?

We're using all HPE network devices. All the core network infrastructure depends on this one solution.

What is most valuable?

The solution is the backbone of our HPE network devices.

The solution is very, very stable.

Technical support is quite good, although we haven't had any real problems with the solution and therefore do not really need to contact them.

What needs improvement?

We are satisfied with the set of features already on offer through HP. We don't want to improve anything and we don't need any other new features.

The pricing could be better.

The installation can be quite complex. However, that may not be the fault of HPE and is rather more related to the way our infrastructure is arranged.

I've been using the solution for over a decade. It's been more than ten years at this point since I first started using it.

The solution is extremely stable, and we haven't had any major issues to contend with. We like to be safe, so we do employ a failover solution. We buy it in pairs to ensure the stability of our infrastructure. It doesn't crash or freeze and there aren't bugs or glitches. It's very, very reliable.

We've been satisfied with the scalability. We'll continue to use the solution as we haven't had any issues with it.

We do have technical support access, however, we don't really ever use it as we don't need them. These are very stable products, so we don't have to change the hardware and we don't have any big issues with it. HPE is now providing a level three type of service, so we have a partner who provides us with any technical support we may need and they can solve any problems. That said, we haven't had a big one.

The initial setup is not straightforward at all. We had a project to install these devices, however, our infrastructure is quite difficult. We had to do a lot of customization.

We bought the latest solution in the past three years and we'll use it for three more. It took more than a month to install everything.

We used five team members to handle the deployment process.

We're using integrators who are experts in HPE to assist us in installations due to the unique nature of our infrastructure.

The pricing is very reasonable. However, it could still be lower to make it more affordable to mid-range organizations.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with HP.

I can recommend it to middle size companies due to the fact that it's stable and the prices are quite fair. It's also very popular as a product, so it's easy to find experts to manage it.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It really isn't lacking, from our point of view, and has never given us any trouble.

Head of Technical Support at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
    Stable and scalable; very dependable
    • "Stable and scalable."
    • "Installation could be made more secure."

What is our primary use case?

These are units that are a two or three layer solution. Since it's from HP, we have a lifetime warranty for these switches, unless the product is already phased out. But in most cases it takes a long time before they're out of a cycle. Most of these are quite durable. We are customers of HPE Ethernet Switches and I'm head of technical support.

What needs improvement?

I think this solution could be improved if the installation could be made more secure. From our point of view, HP could have SNMP product softwares that would allow us to track all the assets, and then to connect, to identify our equipment. There are options which would allow us to secure the equipment. I think with the enterprise solution, if it's HP, then there is a need to integrate it with an HP product for it to work. The only way to simplify this is with VLANs and then routing, and then let the systems take over when it comes to firewalls and other things. Implementation of those things would allow us to have tighter security.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

It's an enterprise solution so it's stable.

It's mostly quite scalable and quite straightforward.

If we have problems, we tend to resolve it ourselves. Sometimes there are bugs but it gets sorted out after a while.

We previously used IBM but they gave up on those products and sold the PC and printer business. We started using HP before that happened.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. Once we have the manuals, and can enable the VLAN and routing functions, we can set the redundancy, our STP, so that from switch one to switch two, you can set four lines to be redundant. In the event that one line is cut, the others will take over. We can also do a link aggregate where you combine the different lines together to increase the bandwidth. These are mostly the straightforward functions that we use as far as the switches are concerned.

In terms of deployment time, we usually define the IP addresses for the switches so we can access it remotely. Then it's a straightforward thing. There's a plan for us to do some more straightforward definition in the coming months. We do the deployments ourselves. We currently have between 200 - 300 users. I use five or six people and then we can deploy in a week or two.

What other advice do I have?

There's the familiarity factor for us. It's something that we hold on to. If you know the product is stable, and it's not outdated then you'll continue to use it. I think it's on par with other vendors like Dell. I'm very satisfied with everything. I've been using HP for a long time already and I think it's quite reliable, even my printer is HP.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

HPE Ethernet Switches
    May 2022
    Learn what your peers think about HPE Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
    596,362 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Owner at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
    Good for network-based storage and stacks well, but security on the lower-end models should be improved
    • "The product's stacking technology is stable and works well."
    • "Authentication and other security features are not easily satisfied using the lower-end switches."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the HPE Ethernet Switches are one of the network infrastructure products that we implement for our customers.

They are used from edge to core and I usually implement them for storage traffic and IP over ethernet, like NFC, iSCSI, or SAS.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customers' needs are simple and not very sophisticated, and these switches allow us to set up the solution and forget about it. As much as possible, we isolate subnets or infrastructure to ensure that the frontend network is separate from the backend network storage. This helps to reduce problems.

What is most valuable?

HPE is very good for cases where you use storage for server networking

The product's stacking technology is stable and works well.

What needs improvement?

Authentication and other security features are not easily satisfied using the lower-end switches. For better security, you need to implement enterprise-level hardware and software.

I have been working with the HPE Ethernet Switches for six years.

Our clients for this product range in size from small businesses to university campuses. In a small business, they might have 200 to 300 users with perhaps between 500 and 1,000 endpoints. The scale for a campus would be in the area of 3,000 to 5,000 endpoints.

When we or our partners sell this product, it usually sells only with a hardware warranty. It does not come with software support. When there is an issue, we normally just update the switch or try to find out what version or what configuration is suitable for the product.

Ideally, once we install and configure it, we can forget about it. This is our motto.

The Comware version from H3C was very useful for our customer base, but the product line is changing and the customers are changing. Some of our customers use Cisco, HPE, or other products, and I have to configure them. I recommend products to customers, although it often depends on what they already have in their environment.

In cases such as Comware, where the line no longer exists, I recommend new products.

With Cisco Switches, you cannot buy them without the support and a license.

This is an expensive product. Some features can be added after purchase, which comes at an additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the product works very well, we don't have any problems, and I can recommend it.

Although people can have a lot of trouble with these switches, they are human management issues. This is why we are careful to choose the correct products and to do the implementation and integration correctly.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

IT at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
    Fast, stable, and comparable to other options on the market
    • "The speed is very fast."
    • "The solution is very comparable to Huawei, however, it could be more scalable. Huawei is easier to scale."

What is most valuable?

The solution is great in the sense that it has all of the capabilities of all of the other switches and it is very competitive in the market.

The solution is very stable.

The speed is very fast.

It can scale as well as other switches on the market.

The pricing is very good. It's less expensive than, for example, Cisco.

The installation is very easy.

What needs improvement?

The solution could always improve its stability. It's pretty stable already, however.

I've been using the solution for several years at this point.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable in terms of the performance it offers us.

The solution can scale well. It's comparable to other switches on the market in terms of its scalability potential. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so.

We have 200 users on the solution currently. We do plan to continue to use the product.

I've been in touch with technical support in the past and have found them to be very helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of service we receive when we contact them.

I use a variety of different solutions. I work with Aruba Switches and Ubiquiti Switches as well as Cisco and Huawei Switches.

The process of installing the solution is not overly complex or difficult. It's very easy and extremely straightforward. A company won't struggle with the process at all.

The deployment is very fast. It doesn't take much time. Of course, different requirements mean that users need to take into account different configurations.

One of its greatest selling features is its price. It's very cheap - much cheaper than Cisco. That, coupled with its general comparable capabilities to other items on the market make it a very attractive option.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using.

When you compare it to other switches, there are no real big differences. It may have a few different specifications here or there, however, largely, it's comparable to everything else that is also on the market.

In general, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at an eight. I've been largely quite pleased with its overall capabilities so far.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies and users.

Director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Reseller
    Good initial setup and decent scalability, but is expensive
    • "The scalability is very good."
    • "The solution is a bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily sell the solution to our client base. The customers are typically telecom operators or enterprise-level companies. It's used primarily for data center applications and connectivity solutions.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup isn't too bad.

The scalability is very good.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a bit expensive.

The stability needs to be improved upon. It's not as good as it could be.

The solution should offer more automation. It's not good compared to Cisco, or any other brand.

The company needs to offer much better local support. Right now, it's not great in terms of technical support.

We've been dealing with the product for a long time. It's been over a decade. Likely, we've been selling HP for 12 years at this point.

The stability isn't ideal. It could be much better. It's an aspect of the solution they could work on.

Scalability is not an issue. The solution expands well. If a company needs to build it ut and scale it, they should be able to do so pretty easily.

I'm not sure how many people within our company actually use the solution, or how many of our clients have it. I don't know that we have around 20 technical people that work with the solution.

I don't find the technical support aspect of the solution very helpful. I'm not satisfied with the level of support provided.

We're also using Cisco switches. We also an Indian brand known as Edge Appeal.

This solution lacks the automation that Cisco, for example, offers.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward for the most part. It's not too complex.

I didn't personally handle the implementation myself, as I'm not very technical. I couldn't comment on how long the deployment takes as I wasn't directly involved.

You do need to pay quite a bit for the license.

The pricing could be a little bit less, to be honest. As a product that's made in Taiwan, you would assume it would be cheaper than it is.

What other advice do I have?

We're resellers of the solution.

I'm not really on the technical side.

I'd recommend the solution for the most part. It's fine to use.

Overall, the solution is average, which is why I would rate it at a five out of ten.

IT Manager at a government with 51-200 employees
    Effective, simple to use, stable, and easy to install but the GUI could be improved
    • "It's fairly lightweight, they don't require a lot of maintenance."
    • "The ability to stack, as well as a unified operating system, would be extremely beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE Ethernet Switches for access control or access switches.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE Ethernet Switches have helped us build ACLs and VLANs.

What is most valuable?

They are effective.

We have some fairly simple requirements, we can do the things that we need to do, it gets the job done. The interfaces are more user-friendly than they were ten years ago.

It is simple to operate, and they have the feature sets that we require.

It's fairly lightweight, they don't require a lot of maintenance.

What needs improvement?

In general, the web GUI, or web interface, requires improvement.

Interface, and the ability to do things that are only possible through the command line, which seems pointless because there is no reason to have a command line for many of the functions.

The ability to stack, as well as a unified operating system, would be extremely beneficial. It isn't there. They are budget switches.

I have been using HPE Ethernet Switches for 15 years.

We use several versions of this solution, ranging from the most recent to some that are over ten years old. We have a full spectrum of switches.

We have no issues with the stability of HPE Ethernet Switches. It is stable and it works.

Scalability is determined by a pricing decision. HPEs are not at all a Juniper or anything like that, but for a budget shop like ours, they are adequate.

Our company has 250 users who use this product extensively.

I have never contacted technical support.

Previously, we had not used another solution. We started with HPE Ethernet switches.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward.

It took a couple of hours to get it set up and configured.

I am responsible for the maintenance of the product.

We did not use a consultant or integrator to assist us with the configuration, we did it ourselves.

There are no licensing fees, the price of the product is all that is required.

What other advice do I have?

It is what it is and can be used by anyone; no expertise or prior knowledge is required.

I would rate HPE Ethernet Switches a seven out of ten.

Kelem Birhane - PeerSpot reviewer
    Enterprise Solutions Manager at Ethio Telecom
    Easy to set up and quick to deploy with fair pricing
    • "You can scale the product as needed."
    • "It would be ideal if the product offered more security."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the switch mechanisms.

What is most valuable?

We actually use these only as the situation calls for it. It depends on if the switches make sense for a company. They are good for IT companies and enterprises.

The solution is stable and the performance is good.

You can scale the product as needed.

It is a product that is very easy to set up and deploy.

The pricing is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

It's not easy to find the devices. Companies often don't keep them in stock and only get them when there is a demand.

It would be ideal if the product offered more security.

I've been dealing with HP for years now. It's been a while.

The stability is good. The solution offers good performance and reliability.

The solution is scalable and easy to expand. If a company needs to scale, it can do so.

We have maybe 1,000 people using the product in our company right now.

I've dealt with technical support in the past and never have had issues with their level of service. I'm satisfied with them.

I'm also familiar with Cisco, which is a bit more expensive.

It is easy to set up the product. It doesn't take long either. Deployment might take an hour. It's not a difficult process at all. A company wouldn't have any issues setting everything up.

The product itself is less expensive than, for example, Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with HP.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using at this time.

I'd recommend the solution to other people and other companies.

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Senior Project Manager, Special Projects at a media company with 51-200 employees
    Stable, easy to use, has a good buffer and a suitable architecture
    • "We have scaled it without any issues."
    • "There is a limitation of capability."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the HPE Ethernet Switches in our office to stream and to join the internet.

What is most valuable?

The reason we are using this switch is for the buffer that we have.

It's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

There is a limitation of capability. To move to OpenFlow is very difficult.

Also, there is a limitation with the team protocols.

We had some issues with the dashboard. When we tried changing the PR or some parameters, it was not completely syncing.

We had two different values passing through the dashboard once you pass through the command line.

I have been working with HPE Ethernet Switches from 2012 to 2020.

We are using HP version 5830 and 5920.

The 5920 version is a 24 port gig, and the 5830 is a 48 port and a 24 port gig.

It's very stable. Since 2012 it has always been in production and it is used on a daily basis, 24 hours per day.

It's scalable. We have scaled it without any issues.

We have 10 people in our organization who are using this product.

We have a person that we contact through HPE when we have issues. Once they found a solution, we have not any problems.

The initial setup is complex.

The pricing is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these two versions of switches that we have been using.

When we compared with Cisco, we chose HPE because of the buffer and the architecture is more suitable than Cisco.

I would rate the HPE Ethernet Switches an eight out of ten.

Download our free HPE Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: May 2022