IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Fortinet FortiManager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiManager is #2 ranked solution in top Network Management Applications. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiManager an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiManager is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate Cloud: Fortinet FortiManager vs Fortinet FortiGate Cloud. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 34% of all views.
What is Fortinet FortiManager?

Networks are constantly evolving due to threats, organizational growth, or new regulatory/business requirements. Traditional management products focus on mitigating company-wide threats through firewall policies, firmware updates, and keeping content security current. FortiManager offers the features to contain threats as well as providing flexibility to evolve along with your ever-changing network.

Fortinet FortiManager Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiManager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Fortinet FortiManager Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiManager Video

Fortinet FortiManager Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiManager pricing:
  • "This is an affordable solution, and its licensing model is based on the number of devices."
  • "Fortinet is a high-end product and the cost is high. They should consider reducing the price, especially for existing customers."
  • "For the licensing fee, we paid around 10,000 to 15,000 euros."
  • Fortinet FortiManager Reviews

Dilip Saraf - PeerSpot reviewer
    Regional Head at MASS INFONET (P) LTD.
    Good centralized management that's stable and easy to scale
    • "The solution is very stable."
    • "The GUI could be updated. It's not as good as it could be and is something the solution should improve in an upcoming release."

What is our primary use case?

FortiManagerAutomation-Driven Centralized ManagementManage all your Fortinet devices in a singleconsolecentral management system.FortiManager provides full visibility of yournetwork, offering streamlined provisioning andinnovative automation tools.Integrated with Fortinet’s Security Fabric, thesecurity architecture and FortiManager’sAutomation Driven Network Operationscapabilities provide a foundation to secure andoptimize network security, such asprovisioning and monitoring SD-WAN. FortiManager VM-SThe new FortiManager Subscription license model consolidates the VM product SKU and the FortiCare Support SKU into one single SKU,to simplify the product purchase, upgrade and renewal.The FortiManager S-Series SKUs come in stackable subscriptions to manager 10, 100 and 1000 devices/vdoms, so that multiple units ofthis SKU can be purchased at a time to increase the number of devices/vdoms as needed. This SKU can also be purchased together withother FMG VM-S SKUs to expand the total number of devices/vdoms. FortiManager VMFortinet offers the FortiManager VM in a stackable license model. This software-based version of the FortiManager hardware applianceallows you to expand your virtual solution as your environment expands and is designed to run on many virtualization platforms. TheFortiManager virtual appliance family minimizes the effort required to monitor and maintain your network and offers all the features of theFortiManager hardware appliance.

How has it helped my organization?

Key Features Single console management § Manage all Fortinet products, including firewalls, FortiAnalyzers, switches, wireless infrastructure and Endpoints Security automation § Reduces complexity and costs by leveraging automated REST API, scripts, connectors, and automation stitches Centralized policy and device management § Centrally manage up to 100,000+ devices and policies such as firewalls, switches, and access points Zero-touch provisioning § Automate workflows and configurations for Fortinet firewalls, switches and wireless infrastructure Secure SD-WAN provisioning and monitoring § Provision and monitor Secure SD-WAN from one console across your network, branch offices or campuses Multi-tenancy and administrative domains (ADOMs) § Separate customer data and manage domains leveraging ADOMs to be compliant and operationally effective Enterprise-grade high availability and integration § Automated backups to up to 5 nodes (1 Primary, and 4 secondary) with streamlined software and security updates for all managed devices

What is most valuable?

Feature Highlights Single Pane Automation and Orchestration FortiManager provides insight into network traffic and threats through a single-pane-of-glass and offers enterprise-class features and sophisticated security management for unified, end-to-end protection to contain advanced threats. FortiManager also delivers the industry’s best scalability to manage up to 100,000 Fortinet devices. FortiManager, coupled with the FortiAnalyzer family of centralized logging and reporting appliances, provides a comprehensive and powerful centralized management solution for your organization. Central Management of Network InfrastructureCentrally manage FortiGate, FortiSwitch, FortiExtender & FortiAP.The VPN manager simplifies the deployment and enables centrallyprovisionedVPN community and connection monitoring. FortiAPManager allows configuring, deploying and monitoring FortiAPsfrom a single console. Configuration and Settings ManagementCollectively configure the device settings - using the provisioningtemplates and advance CLI templates improves management of alarge number of devices. Automatic device configuration backupwith revision control and change audit make it easier for dailyadministrative tasks. Use Management extensions to add SD-WANOrchestrator, Wireless Manager and other modules. API for Automation and OrchestrationRESTful API allows MSSPs/large enterprises to create customized,branded web portals for policy and object administration. Automatecommon tasks such as provisioning FortiGates and configuringexisting devices. Join Fortinet Developer Network (FNDN) toaccess exclusive articles, how-to content for automation andcustomization, community-built tools, scripts and sample code. Management ExtensionsFortiManager’s management extensions allow rapid expansion ofSingle Pane to manage more Security Fabric products. The built-inengine runs containerized extensions to support trusted containers,which are pulled from the FortiGuard. FortiManager is notified whennew containers are made available and users can easily choose toopt in our out of each of the management extensions. It includesmodules like SD-WAN Orchestrator, Wireless Manager and more. Security Policy ManagementPer Policy Lock has been added to 6.4, which allows admins tocontrol the policy change by implicitly lock a policy rule when he/she does the change to the policy. Group commonly used securitypolicies in a policy block and insert as needed in different PolicyPackages. Global policy feature that allows companies such as:Telecom, MSSP and SAAS providers to apply a header/footerpolicy at the ADOM level to all policy packages or select packages. SD-WAN Orchestration & AnalyticsPowerful SD-WAN management capabilities using intuitiveworkflow and simplified provisioning at scale. Enhanced SD-WANanalytics to monitor application performance and bandwidthutilization per WAN link. Leverage application centric SD-WANbusiness policies to fine-tune traffic steering decisions based onperformance SLA targets for each WAN provider. Provide flexibledeployment options for SD-WAN orchestrator, an add-on to Multi-Tenancy & Role Based AdministrationFortiManager equips admins with granular device and role basedadministration for deploying zero-trust, multi-tenancy architectureto large enterprises, with a hierarchical objects database tofacilitate re-use of common configurations and serve multiplecustomers. ADOMs are used to manage independent securityenvironments, each with its own security policies and configurationdatabase, and the intuitive GUI makes it easy to view, create, cloneand manage ADOMs. The zero-touch deployment uses templatesto provision devices for quick mass deployment, and also supportsfirmware version enforcement. Define global objects such asFirewall Objects, Policies and Security Profiles to share acrossmultiple ADOMs. Granular permissions allow assigning ADOMs,devices and policies to users based on role and responsibilities.FortiManager’s new IPS admin is a restricted user role forperforming only IPS related object configuration and install.

What needs improvement?

The solution is very good; I'm not sure if I can think of any features that are lacking. The GUI could be updated. It's not as good as it could be and is something the solution should improve in an upcoming release. It would be nice if there could be more reporting included in the solution so that we could get more details about an individual user's profile.
    Fortinet FortiManager
    May 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiManager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been working with the solution for about six years now.

In terms of stability, the solution is very good. We haven't faced any bugs or glitches. It's quite reliable.

The licensing is very easy, which makes it quite scalable. A company shouldn't have any trouble expanding the solution. If they have, for example, 50 devices and suddenly need 100, they just need to scale up. Whether the solution is used regularly depends on the organization.

We've been in touch with technical support on the past. In India, they're quite good. We've found them to be very helpful and have been satisfied with their level of support.

The solution is easy to set up. Users shouldn't have any problems doing so.

What other advice do I have?

FortiManager is for the syncing of devices. Therefore, when companies are using multiple devices from Fortinet, such as FortiGate, FortiSwitches, FortiAP, etc., then it's required to have FortiManager. That way, companies can manage central lines in all of the devices via a single person. It's a very useful application. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's got all of the features we need to manage our FortiGate products and doesn't seem to be lacking anything. It does exactly what we need it to do and we find it quite easy to use. We're a Fortinet distributor. My clients are the ones that actually use the product. Most of our clients are SMEs or large businesses. This solution, however, is more suited to large and medium-sized businesses.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Fortinet MSSP Partner
    Presales Technical Specialist at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Simplified central management system with good stability and scalability
    • "Central management system for Fortinet devices that's simple, scalable, and stable, with a straightforward setup."
    • "This solution needs more experienced technical support staff. There's nothing special about it compared to other vendors."

What is our primary use case?

We used Fortinet FortiManager for managing multiple firewalls, because they had six or seven branches, so they need a single point of management. The Fortinet FortiAnalyzer was used for getting the logs out of all of these books, to store them in one place.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable about Fortinet FortiManager is its simplicity. I didn't see anything special about it compared to other vendors, and I'm working with multiple vendors, but when talking about this solution, it's always the simplicity that's valuable.

What needs improvement?

There's nothing special about it compared to other vendors, except for its simplicity.

This solution needs more experienced technical support staff.

I've worked with Fortinet FortiManager for three years.

Stability for this solution is good. I didn't see any issues with our customer.

I wasn't able to try Fortinet FortiManager on enterprise customers, or large-scale customers, but for small and medium-sized businesses, it was more than okay. It's scalable.

How good the technical support will be depends on the product where we need them. For the firewalls, all of them are good. For Fortinet FortiManager, I didn't see a lot of experienced people in there, but I didn't need them for complicated issues. It's the technical support team for firewalls who was very good.

The initial setup for this solution was straightforward. As for its deployment, the design and planning took around three months, e.g. we talked about the design, project plan, scope of work, etc. Implementation just took one week.

For the ROI, for a five-year project, Fortinet FortiManager would be the best option to use.

This is an affordable solution, and it's based on the number of devices. I did read that the licensing model has changed recently, but I'm not using the new licensing model.

What other advice do I have?

There was a solution we used last 2021. We implemented Fortinet, and it was the major project we were dealing with at the time. We used everything from Fortinet, e.g. analytics management, logs, etc. It was only Fortinet we implemented, and not any other solution.

We implemented Fortinet FortiManager for orchestration and management, then for the loads, we implemented Fortinet FortiAnalyzer. For firewalls, we have 4800F and 60F. We've implemented them in multiple sites, so those were the main components.

During the implementation, I jumped between versions and did some upgrades, because with Fortinet, there are new versions that only work for short periods, so I had to upgrade the version multiple times during the implementation.

The deployment for Fortinet FortiManager was via a virtual machine, and it was on private cloud. We used the customer infrastructure to implement and install Fortinet FortiManager and FortiAnalyzer, so that particular cloud was owned by the customer, so there's no cloud provider for that.

We have 500 users of this solution. It was a medium-sized project.

I didn't see anything missing on Fortinet FortiManager. I like it the way it is. I'm happy with it, so I can't think of anything they should add in terms of features.

I would give Fortinet FortiManager the highest score because even a junior can implement it. It does not require too much knowledge or scale to implement a project, so I'm rating it a ten out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
    Fortinet FortiManager
    May 2022
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Riasat Ali - PeerSpot reviewer
    Group Head of IT at a maritime company with 501-1,000 employees
    Good Protection with multiple features in one box, but there are visibility issues and the price could be reduced
    • "It has multiple features in one box, which helps to avoid needing a lot of equipment. This is something that makes them unique."
    • "We have some visibility issues with the reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our core Firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

As our core firewall, it provides us with good protection.

What is most valuable?

The functionality is good. It has good features and it works well for us.

What needs improvement?

We have some visibility issues with the reporting. As the reporting is not properly available, we have to use many tools to get a meaningful outcome of the reports.

There should be training available for the clients. Cisco, for example, provides training hours or credits at the time of purchase. People should get some kind of coaching on how to use this solution and various features rather than depending upon the support partners.

The reports are available separately, but they should be a part of the standard product.

With this company, I have been working with Fortinet FortiManager for a year and a half.

It has good stability. It's reliable as far as the production environment is concerned. It is working well.

For us, it is fine as it is, because we don't have a large environment, and don't need such requirements.

It does provide the scalability for larger organizations with more sites. They may need to upgrade or maybe attach more devices.

We have good access to the portal, and the information can be pulled from there. The department is also helpful.

Our experience with technical support has been good.

Previously, we used another solution. We did a complete overhaul of our network architecture, which was the main reason we brought Fortinet FortiManager into our environment.

With some help, the initial setup was fine.

We had engaged the partner to implement this solution for us.

If you want to add something or if you want to resubscribe, there should be some advantage given to the existing customers.

In my opinion, in general, the prices are high.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, it is fulfilling our requirements. We don't have any immediate plans to change, and we don't have any expansion possibility as such, because there is no expansion in our environment.

It is everyone's own choice what they want in their environment and what they want to prioritize.

Because I have some reservations, I would rate Fortinet FortiManager a seven out of ten.

Consultant at DNS, a.s.
    Reseller
    You can see if workstations or services are affected by an attack with a simple click
    • "For the whole security fabric from Fortinet, with a simple click you can see if some workstations or services are affected by an attack. You can really easily quarantine it, check the solution, and fix it."
    • "Fortinet is releasing quite a lot of new versions and I would say that most of the versions are not well tested before they're pushed out. Even the new versions sometimes are a bit buggy before it's all correct."

What is our primary use case?

FortiManager is a virtual appliance, you can have it in a cloud, buy your own license, or pay for the solution as a service. It's very helpful because you can manage many products from other customers, just from the cloud, which is where you administrate domains for all the customers you might have. You only have one point of deployment of the new FortiGates, for example, FortiSwitches, FortiAPs with a single click that you do not need to deploy the configuration on a unit itself. So it means, for example, you can just send the new boxes to new offices and from the cloud FortiManager, you just let some technical guy send it to the internet. It gets the serial number of the FortiManager. It can be paired and the configuration can be directly downloaded. You don't even need to touch the box physically. So that's an amazing feature.

What is most valuable?

For the whole security fabric from Fortinet, with a simple click you can see if some workstations or services are affected by an attack. You can really easily quarantine it, check the solution, and fix it. It's very good from a security perspective.

What needs improvement?

I have been using FortiManager for six to seven years.

We don't have any issues with stability.

Scalability is good.

Our support was often sent to a foreign country and they didn't speak good English. But the second level of support was all perfect.

Checkpoint has a kind of manager that is similar. I think Palo Alto and Cisco have something similar as well.

The initial setup was straightforward and so simple. You don't need to know the functionality that much and it guides you on how to deploy it correctly. It's quite simple to set up as a solution.

The deployment takes a few days.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

It does not make much sense if you only have one FortiGate. If you have multiple devices and you can share some kind of templates or configuration template for security rules then this is a product you should use.

In the next release, there should be a little bit better of a deployment for applications that should also be relevant for mobile phones.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Distributor.
    Network consult at BPI France
    Enabled us to manage 50 sites from a central management console
    • "This solution enables you to centralize the rules and the configuration of all the equipment."
    • "The CLI could be enhanced."

What is our primary use case?

FortiManager is software that enables you to manage the solution from a central point. For instance, we had 50 sites and were able to manage all the sites from a central management console. This solution is deployed on-premises. My company was using version 7.

There were 5,000 people using this solution in my company.

How has it helped my organization?

We had a security policy that was deployed on all the devices, and we managed it from only one place. We didn't have to manage it on each piece of equipment. Second, regarding the configuration of SD-WAN, we could build configuration templates on FortiManager and push the templates from FortiManager to the different Fortigate units.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

One of the biggest limitations is the grammar of the API – not the API itself. It was not very well done.

The CLI could be enhanced.

Stability was good.

Scalability was very good.

Technical support was excellent. We bought the optional support, so we paid an additional fee.

We had dedicated support just for us. We had one person who was really good and helped us design the solution. We had a very good design, so the deployment was good afterward.

Setup is of medium difficulty. It's not that complicated, but it's not easy. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. It's not a simple plug and play, but it's not that difficult either.

For the design and deployment, we used four people. For maintenance, we only needed one part-time engineer per year.

We used an external company to run the deployment, and it took us three months to finish the design of the solution and three months to deploy all the boxes and all sites.

We had some people who were helping us deploy because there were several sites all over the country, so there were some people who were going on-site.

For the licensing fee, we paid around 10,000 to 15,000 euros.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

My advice is to know your product before you start using it.

Network Delivery Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    Nice interface, good support, and the intrusion prevention features improve our security
    • "Everybody is quite happy with the way that the graphical user interface works."
    • "We have experienced a series of minor bugs that necessitated contacted technical support on several occasions."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is internal security domain protection in corporate sites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is intrusion protection.

Everybody is quite happy with the way that the graphical user interface works.

The redundancy and resiliency are quite good.

What needs improvement?

I have been dealing with Fortinet FortiManager for about four years.

This is a resilient product. There are bugs in the system but the vendor has been very responsive in terms of fixing them or looking to them. None of the bugs were major, so we just had to use work-arounds until a new version came out that fixed them.

Scalability with FortiManager is fine.

The ability to upgrade, or downgrade if necessary, is very good.

We have made quite a lot of support calls to deal with bugs and other issues. The technical support is very responsive and there was no problem with it. I would say that they are excellent. My only problem is that we needed them perhaps slightly too often.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

Our deployment took about six months in total, although we were limited in resources and the requirements of operational handover. My engineering group has to stick to documentation and testing and requirements from the operations team. There were no issues with the deployment. Rather, that is how long it generally takes.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment and maintenance. We have about 10 engineers, although they support all of our networking products.

There are features that come at a cost that is in addition to the standard license.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I have no serious concerns about this product so I have no problems recommending it. It has all of the features that I need, as far as I'm concerned. Certainly, there's nothing that would cause me to suggest that people not use it.

Slawomir Napiorkowski - PeerSpot reviewer
    Architect at IT Systems and Solutions sp. z o.o.
    Good central management capability that simplifies work and saves us time
    • "The most valuable feature is the central configuration for firewall policies."
    • "Having FortiManager work with all of the Fortinet products would be a good improvement."

What is our primary use case?

FortiManager is used for centrally managing many FortiGate firewalls. It is a very good solution if you are using several of them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the central configuration for firewall policies. This simplifies the management of many devices and acts as a central firewall policy object. It is sometimes used to deploy a VPN, where that is used to connect many FortiGate instances.

You don't need to log in to the devices many times. Instead, you can locally manage and copy the configuration to several of them.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet develops many different solutions but only some of them can be managed using FortiManager. For example, if you have a load balancer then you have to have a separate manager. Having FortiManager work with all of the Fortinet products would be a good improvement.

Some older versions of FortiManager, perhaps three or four years ago, had some issues with instability due to bugs. However, now, it is a very stable product.

It is easy to scale, although it can be costly. There is a limit to the number of devices that it can support, but additional FortiManagers can be used in this case.

I have been in contact with the Fortinet technical support several times, and the support is good. The people are nice and they will also help you online.

Until you have experience with it, this device is not simple to set up. You have to spend perhaps five to seven days to configure it properly, including the automation of certain tasks.

If you have a single person for the implementation, it will take approximately two weeks to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I find that this is a good solution and it gives me everything that I want. I would recommend it and people should definitely try it.

Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Easy to manage, good interface, and simple to use
    • "The best feature of Fortinet FortiManager is its ease of use. It is easy to manage the firewall from Fortinet FortiManager. Additionally, the interface is very good."
    • "The FortiManager is more complex and they can make it easier to use the VPN manager. All other features are okay. However, the VPN manager is more difficult and can cause some issues in the environment, if you do not have the experience to use it."

What is our primary use case?

I have used the FortiManager to implement and manage the Fortigate solution in one company that we implemented Fortinet. We use the FortiManager to manage all the Fortigates, firewalls, projects, and old projects.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of Fortinet FortiManager is its ease of use. It is easy to manage the firewall from Fortinet FortiManager. Additionally, the interface is very good.

What needs improvement?

The FortiManager is more complex and they can make it easier to use the VPN manager. All other features are okay. However, the VPN manager is more difficult and can cause some issues in the environment, if you do not have the experience to use it.

I used Fortinet FortiManager within the last 12 months.

The stability is good.

The scalability of Fortinet FortiManager is very good.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup is easy.

The amount of technicians you would need for the implementation of Fortinet FortiManager depends on the environment. If you have many firewalls managed by FortiManager, you need more people. However, one person can manage the FortiManager, but you have the Fortigate environment to manage, you need more people, for example approximately four for the environment.

What other advice do I have?

I encourage the use of this solution. It is very good because they make it easy to manage the environment.

I rate Fortinet FortiManager a nine out of ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiManager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: May 2022