IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

FME OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

FME is #30 ranked solution in top Data Integration Tools. PeerSpot users give FME an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. FME is most commonly compared to Azure Data Factory: FME vs Azure Data Factory. FME is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 62% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is FME?

FME is the data integration platform with the best support for spatial data. Run workflows on the desktop or deploy them in a server or cloud environment.

FME Customers

Shell, US Department of Commerce, PG&E, BC Hydro, City of Vancouver, Enel, Iowa DoT, San Antonio Water System

FME Video

FME Reviews

Expert Data at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
You don't need to use a lot of code. For us, that's the most important aspect
  • "It has a very friendly user interface. You don't need to use a lot of code. For us that's the most important aspect about it. Also, it has a lot of connectors and few forms. It has a strong facial aspect. It can do a lot of facial analysis."
  • "To get a higher rating, it would have to improve the price and the associated scalability. These are the main issues."

What is our primary use case?

We use FME to do some ad hoc analysis, especially facial analysis, but they use it as well to do some generic processing for data quality controls. These are the main use purposes. It's in a governmental context and the most important data sets or addresses link to other information. Also authentication on partials.

What is most valuable?

FME's features that I have found most valuable are that it has a very friendly user interface. You don't need to use a lot of code. For us, that's the most important aspect of it. Also, it has a lot of connectors and few forms. It has a strong facial aspect. It can do a lot of facial analysis.

What needs improvement?

The price is a bit high in comparison with other tools. But maybe it's justified because it has a lot of possibilities.

I have been using FME for three years. Other colleagues from our organization use it as well so there is a lot of expertise with this tool.

Data Integration Tools
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Safe Software, Microsoft, Hitachi and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: July 2022.
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We think FME is very stable. We don't have a lot of issues with it even after upgrades.

In terms of scalability, we now have one engine we use to execute all the jobs. But it is going to its limits and we think we would need another extra engine to complete our scheduled processing.

We have about three users that are using the desktop. But the whole organization benefits from the output.

We will keep using it. We will have a look at the scalability. We are looking to other integration tools as well because we want to go a bit further and establish a data warehouse.

We get our technical support from a Belgian service. The technical support is good.

The initial setup was a long time ago but I don't remember any issues or problems, so I think it was a good installation.

We have three fixed licenses. I think it would be more interesting to look at the floating licenses, because we do not use the licenses simultaneously. That's something we want to do in the near feature.

What other advice do I have?

FME is a great tool, but I don't know if we can scale it up since the prices are high and we would need to convince the decision makers to provide more budget.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give FME an eight.

To get a higher rating, it would have to improve the price and the associated scalability. These are the main issues.

Download our free Data Integration Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Safe Software, Microsoft, Hitachi, and more!
Updated: July 2022