IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Elastic Enterprise Search OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Elastic Enterprise Search is #1 ranked solution in top Indexing and Search tools and top Search as a Service vendors. PeerSpot users give Elastic Enterprise Search an average rating of 8 out of 10. Elastic Enterprise Search is most commonly compared to Azure Search: Elastic Enterprise Search vs Azure Search. Elastic Enterprise Search is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Elastic Enterprise Search Buyer's Guide

Download the Elastic Enterprise Search Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Elastic Enterprise Search?

Elastic Enterprise Search (Previously known as Swiftype) is Elasticsearch, with a complete set of specialized tools and extensible APIs that make it easy to build search solutions and give users the best answers, every time. Monitor performance with robust analytics, tweak relevance in real-time, and scale it all seamlessly.

Elastic Enterprise Search Customers

HotelTonight, Perceivant, Docker, Green Man Gaming, Xoom, AutoScout24, TheLadders, Center for Open Science, Parleys, Tango

Elastic Enterprise Search Video

Archived Elastic Enterprise Search Reviews (more than two years old)

Erik De Decker - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner & director at Pulsar ICT
Good processing power, very scalable, and able to handle all data formats
  • "There's lots of processing power. You can actually just add machines to get more performance if you need to. It's pretty flexible and very easy to add another log. It's not like 'oh, no, it's going to be so much extra data'. That's not a problem for the machine. It can handle it."
  • "The solution has quite a steep learning curve. The usability and general user-friendliness could be improved. However, that is kind of typical with products that have a lot of flexibility, or a lot of capabilities. Sometimes having more choices makes things more complex. It makes it difficult to configure it, though. It's kind of a bitter pill that you have to swallow in the beginning and you really have to get through it."

What is our primary use case?

We try to detect malicious files by the logs. The logs are all centralized including all our PCs, our callers, our servers, Linux, windows, Polaris names. We scan everything. Then we have pre-defined specific use cases that allow us to identify if there is an attack on the machine or indirectly by the endpoint. On top of that, we can check with users as we're not directly dealing with the configuration, so we can follow up on the alerts we receive. On top of that, we have the systems in place that allow us to detect if certain inexcusable items are on the system, such as malicious files. We can do this because we also retrieve the log files of the identifiers.

What is most valuable?

The fact that you can dump any type of format in the database without any specific reformatting is fantastic. It makes it very flexible in collecting information and that saves us a lot of time because otherwise, we would really need to define specifically what we're looking for and reformat everything. With this solution, that's not necessary. We can directly, and in a really standard raw format, dump the data into the database. Only afterwards do we need to define what specifically we're looking for, however, at that point, it's not a big deal to actually add an additional log and to collect additional information.  The solution is very scalable.  There's lots of processing power. You can actually just add machines to get more performance if you need to. It's pretty flexible and very easy to add another log. It's not like 'oh, no, it's going to be so much extra data'. That's not a problem for the machine. It can handle it.

What needs improvement?

The solution has quite a steep learning curve. The usability and general user-friendliness could be improved. However, that is kind of typical with products that have a lot of flexibility, or a lot of capabilities. Sometimes having more choices makes things more complex. It makes it difficult to configure it, though. It's kind of a bitter pill that you have to swallow in the beginning and you really have to get through it.  Once you begin to understand the concepts and how to actually look for data it's a very pleasant solution, but the learning curve is very steep in the beginning, to the point that they could improve it to make it a bit less intimidating to start. There needs to be a bit more intuition behind the architecture and the data search.

This solution has been used for at least five years at the company.
Elastic Enterprise Search
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Elastic Enterprise Search. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's very stable. The only thing that might happen is that sometimes when you do a search it will stress the machine a bit too much. If that happens, then it's a matter of, if you do it the wrong way, the machine gets stressed and then it slows down. However, it will not crash. It almost never crashes. You'll simply figure out that the machine is overwhelmed and take the stress off.  The problem, occasionally, is that it may become unresponsive, but it isn't really unresponsive, it's just that the system is overloaded. That can only happen if you do your database search in the wrong way. That's why, especially when you have a lot of data and are really concentrating a lot of data on a few machines, you have to be careful of what you're doing.  It's a very nice tool but you have to be a bit aware of how to deal with this, especially when you have a lot of data and you have limited processing capacity. If you have unlimited processing capacity you can do whatever you want with it. I personally can say that I've never seen a machine crash.

The scalability of the product is good. It's our key system that generates alerts and does surveillance on a security level. This product is extensively used in our organization. We have people of course, from the server team that makes sure that the logs get collected. And then we have the people that actually deal with the configuration of the ELK as well. That is a team of five or six people that we use now. Then, of course, we have all the teams that follow up on the alerts, and there, I would say, we have two or three different teams, which is between 10 and 20 people. That's just part of the people that work with the solution.

I work on part of the team that deals with technical support issues. There's a good community around the solution. This is because the product is actually open-source. With a lot of typical issues, you can simply Google questions and you will find the answer. Of course, we do have a support contract with the company. I don't deal directly with that, however. We contact them directly if we really need to and we have maintenance contracts with them. Unfortunately, I can't really speak to how good or bad they are because I've never called them myself.

Before we switched over to this, we used it in combination with an end product called QRadar, but both of them together were time-consuming.

It's easy to install the servers, that's not really the problem. The difficulty is afterward. Users need to understand how to explore the data. The server setup is the easy part. Even, let's say, moving the log into the machine or into the database is no problem. However, then you have all this data and you will really struggle to understand the information. That is sometimes not always obvious at the outset. In order to do that in an effective way, it requires a little bit of manipulating. To install the servers, a minimum installation takes me a day or more. It's for the most part usually pretty fast.

I myself have already had quite a lot of experience with the product. Therefore, I can set it up myself.  Most customers or most IT departments will struggle to set it up due to the difficult learning curve in the beginning.  I would definitely recommend most users or companies, at least for the beginning, to get help troubleshooting problems. It will help them understand a little bit more about the steep learning curve. It really makes things much easier, and much more effective.

I have used different products myself due to the nature of my work. I'm a security consultant. I have been working with different customers who use different solutions, which means that I have used other things and can evaluate and compare them for clients. I've worked with Splunk, for example. Splunk, for instance, on the level of data mining and inquiring, might be easier. It's a bit more intuitive. The downside of it is as soon as you start collecting a lot of data, it becomes extremely expensive to use Splunk. It's a very good product. However, typically, with the need to collect as many logs and as much data as possible, Splunk becomes expensive, and you can't put it in a budget easily. It's simply out of budget for many as soon as they start clicking. Also, the purpose of a security system is not the same. With Splunk, some will not add additional logs because they don't often have the budget, especially when it immediately means that you're going to need to increase your costs enormously. That's not the purpose of a security system. For the system to be effective you must be able to have good surveillance and that means that you should not hesitate in adding your logs. Still, when the costs double, people hesitate and if they don't have the budget and cut the logs, things can get through. Fortunately, with ELK, you don't have that issue. With ELK you don't pay for gigabytes, or terabytes or the data that you use. That's the main advantage compared to Splunk. But Splunk, it has a less steep learning curve.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just using it as a customer We tend to use the latest versions of the solution. We try to upgrade it on a regular basis. I'd advise other companies considering implementing the solution to get a team in that knows the product and try to take advantage of their knowledge. It will help reduce the pain of the learning curve. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I would not give it a ten because of the steep learning curve. I know what the product is, but many do not, and for them it will be quite difficult to get started without becoming very frustrated in the process.

Cyber Security Professional at Defensive Cyber Security Center Germany
Easily customizable dashboard and excellent technical support
  • "Dashboard is very customizable."
  • "Could have more open source tools and testing."

What is our primary use case?

In terms of use case, we combine a lot of things with Elastic. It's two platforms, so with Elasticsearch, we're using the Beats, Kibana, and Suricata. It's a query engine and we use the information from our sensors. It gets ingested into that and we use the resources to get everything put on our dashboards. If something is detected, alerts come up right away and it's very, very accurate. The more ingest it receives, the better we can respond to threats. It's not just Elastic or Logstash, it's a combination of those and other tools that we would apply towards our threat detection and prevention. We have a partnership with ELK.

What is most valuable?

The company provides excellent technical support and wonderful engineers, even their sales engineers are great. The dashboard is a valuable feature - it's awesome and very customizable.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more open source tools and testing as well as a signature analysis in the solution. I think that a lot of times when we go into a corporate environment where it becomes more add on features or an additional service fee, it typically draws away from that product.

I think it would be cool if they could provide a couple of licenses that would be test bed licenses so that engineers and people with have their hands on the keyboard could test any new development.

I've been using this solution for three or four years.

It is a very scalable soluton. It is very easy and I would recommend it to anyone. In terms of users it's all tiered. Most things are from tier zero at egress point of any major large-scale network all the way down to the customer. We have roughly 200 users. And those would include analysts and real time threat analysts.

I'm very satisfied with the technical support and would rate it highly. Sometimes there are issues because we are overseas and there is a six hour time difference which creates a lag. It's hard to get around that but they're very responsive.

We had issues when we first did the initial setup, because our resources were limited because it was a test that it was a proof of concept. It meant the initial setup was somewhat resource intensive. The data NGS itself was an issue when we were trying to filter and pull that information. Again, a signature analysis would have been helpful here.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone considering implementing this solution, I would say take a good hard look at your own infrastructure resources and scalability as you have to future proof everything. Whether it's scale or increase in customers building up through your actual hardware and your network infrastructure. You need to know it's capable of performing the tasks needed, because sometimes you outgrow yourself. So, I would say look at your resources and how it can be scaled.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Elastic Enterprise Search
July 2022
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Helps us keep firewall logs and collect traffic flow information
  • "The product is scalable with good performance."
  • "The GUI is the part of the program which has the most room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

What we use this ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana) solution is mostly for keeping firewall logs and collecting traffic flow information.

What is most valuable?

The scalability of this product is something that is very impressive and the performance is also very good.

What needs improvement?

I think the GUI part of the solution has the most room for improvement. Actually, we are using the free version. We do not use the plug-ins so we have to do some additional development ourselves to have the necessary access to the controls.

We are not a heavy user, we just keep the logs and track data in the system. We use it and there is no problem for our current purposes and level of use.

We have been working with the solution for just over a year.

Up until this point, there have been a few times that we did have some issues and we did not know what went wrong. But we have a guy who is dedicated to managing the system now and it is running pretty well. At this point, we do not have to spend much time in administration and maintenance paying a lot of attention to it. I would say it is pretty stable, overall.

We have around five people involved in using the solution.

The scalability is very impressive. We can do a lot of things with the product and have not explored all the possibilities as it is something we use somewhat lightly compared to its potential.

We do not yet currently use a full technical support plan. We are not really using the product extensively enough to warrant that expenditure. Up until now, our use has been light and the product is not heavily burdened. It has been performing as expected. When we upscale usage we will probably engage with a paid support plan.

The initial setup is not that problematic. It is obviously manageable as we are doing it by ourselves, so it is okay and fairly straightforward. We didn't need any assistance from integrators or consultants for the deployment.

Before choosing to go in this direction, we actually checked with some of the database options like the JSON option and Mango. The Elasticsearch product was referred to us by a friend at another company as a better solution for our particular need. They are using the system. After some tests and reviews of the products, we thought it would fit our needs, so we decided to go with it.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others considering this solution is that you have to have someone knowledgeable managing the system. You have to know the needs, know how to manage queries, and understand the visualization. You have to have someone working on it and dedicated to it so that you can manage it. It is not just plug-and-play. If you decide to run with it, the performance and the result can be very satisfactory. We did not have any issues with achieving what we tried to do. When we need certain data, we always find it.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate ELK Elasticsearch as an eight out of ten. What would make it a ten for us is something I wouldn't know at this point. Until we use it more heavily in production then we'll see how it performs under a full load and we'll have a better idea of what needs to be improved.

Data Scientist at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Enables me to share dashboards with different people with different levels of access
  • "I value the feature that allows me to share the dashboards to different people with different levels of access."
  • "Ratio aggregation is not supported in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a data scientist and we're a customer of ELK. We use the solution for multiple projects, mainly based around customer analytics.

What is most valuable?

I value the feature that allows me to share dashboards with different people with different levels of access. They can perform their own queries, like adjusting the time filter or hitting some other filters. It's very useful.

What needs improvement?

In terms of product improvement, ratio aggregation is not supported in this solution. I can do aggregations, but taking a ratio of two metrics is not supported. That's a common use case that I have come across. And if I want to do bulk coding then that's something that is not very convenient. I would like those things to be included in the next version.

I've been using this solution for three years.

Occasionally when you're handling large data you get some out of memory exceptions from time to time. It happens when you're doing pairing. Sometimes a few shots will fail. These are all typically when you're doing things on cloud on a large scale they tend happen.

It's a scalable solution. For now, we have about 10 users and we plan to increase that number. We use it regularly.

I haven't needed to contact technical support. The forums are pretty good and most of the things that I need to ask are already answered so no need for support. The documentation and forums were enough.

I haven't used other solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward, it took about an hour. I did the setup myself. Some others also did it themselves and we had developers who put it up in the cloud for the others.

We are currently using the Open Source version, so we didn't need to offset any licensing. For now, it's just the cost of maintaining the server.

Our tech team did the research and I don't know if there were other options considered.

What other advice do I have?

You can test the product for your use case on their user free trial, they offer a seven or 14-day free trial, You can put it up on cloud and just push your data to check if your use cases are being handled or not. It's a quick test of the waters.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Engineer at IT Specialist LLC
User interface is ok, helpful extensions are available, and there is good community support

What is our primary use case?

I use Elasticsearch with Logstash and Kibana.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the data store and the X-pack extension.

The user interface is ok.

The integration of Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana is very good.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of this product needs to be more clear because I cannot understand it when I review the website.

I have been using this solution for about one year.

This solution is scalable.

I rely on the community for technical support.

The initial setup of this solution is a little bit hard. I did not find it hard, myself, but it was difficult for my colleague who had less experience.

The deployment takes between one and two hours.

We implemented this solution ourselves.

The pricing of this solution is not clear.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is ok for me and my business.

Murex Consultant at a tech services company
Helpful text processing features and is easy to use, but stability needs to be improved
  • "The special text processing features in this solution are very important for me."
  • "Better dashboards or a better configuration system would be very good."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to collect log data and analyze it. We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The special text processing features in this solution are very important for me.

As a system, it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

This is not a robust system, so in terms of resilience, they have to make some improvements. From time to time the system goes down and we have to start again, after adjusting some configuration parameters.

Technical support can be improved.

The interface would be improved with the inclusion of dashboards to assist in analyzing problems because it is very difficult. Better dashboards or a better configuration system would be very good.

I have been using this solution for six months.

This is not exactly a stable solution, which is why we are considering another compatible tool, and whether we go on with Elasticsearch or change it.

I follow their forum and blogs, and I have also asked questions directly to their technical department. I would say that support is moderate. It is not very good or very bad, but in between.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of this solution is easy and straightforward.

The deployment is both easy and quick.

We have an in-house team that handles deployment.

Two people are enough for deployment and maintenance.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution, but due to issues with stability, I'm now trying out PostgreSQL for comparison.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody considering this solution is that it is an easy to use tool, but for work that is not complex. If on the other hand, the work is more complex, with more data and perhaps a clustering environment, then they may have to consider something more stable and more robust.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

User at Sincrobox SAC
User
Simple solution that provides valuable analytics

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to operate an integration platform for a warehouse management system.

How has it helped my organization?

This has improved our organization because we articulated Kubernetes, Docker, and GitHub with amazing simplicity in the scaling up of our service.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the analytics that we can configure and view using Kibana.

What needs improvement?

This product could be improved with additional security, and the addition of support for machine learning devices.

Still implementing.
System Analyst at S7
Provides enterprise landscape support for different areas of the company
  • "We had many reasons to implement Elasticsearch for search term solutions. Elasticsearch products provide enterprise landscape support for different areas of the company."
  • "We see the need for some improvements with Elasticsearch. We would like the Elasticsearch package to include training lessons for our staff."

What is our primary use case?

In my project, Elasticsearch is used to query terms for search and to provide data boards for our project team.

How has it helped my organization?

We have some important IT systems which provide support for our business processes. Money is a big issue. If something happens to the IT systems, we lose some money.

We built Elasticsearch solutions to help us to search more quickly. After that, we can calculate how much money we can save by implementing Elasticsearch as a solution.

What is most valuable?

We had many reasons to implement Elasticsearch for search term solutions. Elasticsearch products provide enterprise landscape support for different areas of the company.

What needs improvement?

Elasticsearch is useful for different business processes, but there are some problems. We discuss these problems with the vendor and with our in-house team. We see the need for some improvements with Elasticsearch.

We would like the Elasticsearch package to include training lessons for our staff.

Elasticsearch is stable. We have a normal relationship with the vendor and we have enough support.

Elasticsearch is very scalable. This was one of the most important points of our decision. We use Elasticsearch with about 1000 users. Now have two sets of solutions:

• One set works with the dashboard from the project team's site.
  • A second set works with the enterprise department involved with two roles.

As for the staff, we have an infrastructure team dedicated to Search. I can't answer quickly how many people we use for that. For maintenance, we employ about three to five experts.

We are planning to increase our Elasticsearch usage. We have the plan because some Elasticsearch systems integrate with other products and we must grow.

If we discuss technical support from the vendor, it's the first line of support and we don't need very quick response times in the first support line.

If we discuss the second line of support, it must be conducted very quickly. About technical support from the vendor, it's not fast. It's normal.

I previously provided some activities with Splunk solutions. My colleague in another department also used Splunk.

We did not have difficult trouble installing and configuring Elasticsearch. The setup is straightforward.

The implementation depends on what part of the solution. In some areas and for some Elasticsearch installation tasks, we wanted third-party consultation support.

We don't integrate Elasticsearch on enough systems to complete the estimate of ROI.

For the next project, we might buy the license, but we don't use it now. I don't know exactly what the license fee for Elasticsearch is currently.

This is a difficult question because we had a specific reason for choosing Elasticsearch. Different solutions provide different benefits. We compare these and choose one solution over another.

Overall, it depends on the manufacturers. We compared Elasticsearch with other products like Riverbed, for example.

What other advice do I have?

In general, we have many advantages from the features of Elasticsearch, but there are questions mostly about money, not about technical features, that are of concern.

I would rate Elasticsearch eight/nine out of ten. We have enough possibilities and features with Elasticsearch for our business requirements.

DevOps/System Administrator at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Allows us to implement machine-learning from our logs, and alerts for anomalies
  • "Gives us a more user-friendly, centralized solution (for those who just needed a quick glance, without being masters of sed and awk) as well as the ability to implement various mechanisms for machine-learning from our logs, and sending alerts for anomalies."
  • "Elasticsearch could improve by honoring Unix environmental variables and not relying only on those provided by Java (e.g. installing plugins over the Unix http proxy)."
  • "Performance improvement could come from skipping background refresh on search idle shards (which is already being addressed in the upcoming seventh version)."

What is our primary use case?

Various purposes, mainly log analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has notably improved the way we store and use logs, from having a more user-friendly, centralized solution (for those who just needed a quick glance, without being masters of sed and awk) to implementing various mechanisms for machine-learning from our logs, and sending alerts for anomalies.

What is most valuable?

The three major features which won us over to Elasticsearch were:

• The well written documentation
  • The already available integrations with multiple other tools related to our needs (like Logstash, Kibana)
  • The easy with which scalability was achieved.

What needs improvement?

There are some areas in which Elasticsearch could improve:

By honoring Unix environmental variables and not relying only on those provided by Java (e.g. installing plugins over the Unix http proxy).

Until now, we have not run into any issues running Elasticsearch that were not based on bad capacity planning based by us.

Elasticsearch is a very easy to scale product, compared to other similar technologies.

To date, we haven't had the chance to use Elasticsearch's technical support.

We cannot disclose the previous solution, but we are much happier with Elasticsearch.

Our initial setup was very easy to do.

We evaluated HBase and Cassadnra.

Randall Hinds - PeerSpot reviewer
Program Manager - Enterprise Command Center at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Aggregates log/machine data into a searchable index, reduces time to identify issues
  • "The ability to aggregate log and machine data into a searchable index reduces time to identify and isolate issues for an application. Saves time in triage and incident response by eliminating manual steps to access and parse logs on separate systems, within large infrastructure footprints."
  • "Enterprise scaling of what have been essentially separate, free open source software (FOSS) products has been a challenge, but the folks at Elastic have published new add-ons (X-Pack and ECE) to help large companies grow ELK to required scales."

How has it helped my organization?

ELK has helped my team leverage a powerful and efficient capability that is comparable to more costly solutions.

Three to five years.

No issues with stability.

We encountered issues with scalability.

Not applicable, for my team's experience with ELK. Being a FOSS, there is limited support from Elastic without a service – support, consulting, training. There is wealth of information on the web and a growing community of users to lean on for support, though.

Yes, we had a previous solution but we did not switch. We use multiple log analysis engines. Where we have funds to support commercial, off-the-shelf tools (COTS), we have seen more immediate benefits. Where we must go with low/no-cost FOSS, we use ELK.

Initial setups were complex years ago, but they are more straightforward in the current offering. ELK is essentially a collection of products that each requires infrastructure and expertise to set up independently, and connecting them to gain a functional tool requires still more expertise.

This is a free, open source software (FOSS) tool, which means no cost on the front-end. There are no free lunches in this world though. Technical skill to implement and support are costly on the back-end with ELK, whether you train/hire internally or go for premium services from Elastic.

Splunk, Sumo Logic, and IBM’s Operation Analytics.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out. There is little to lose but time.

Prabhanshu Pandit - PeerSpot reviewer
Programmer at a tech services company
Allows us to store data in key value pairs and produce visualisations in Kibana, but lack of email notification is problematic
  • "Helps us to store the data in key value pairs and, based on that, we can produce visualisations in Kibana."
  • "It helps us to analyse the logs based on the location, user, and other log parameters."
  • "It needs email notification, similar to what Logentries has. Because of the notification issue, we moved to Logentries, as it provides a simple way to receive notification whenever a server encounters an error or unexpected conditions (which we have defined using RegEx​)."

What is most valuable?

Elasticsearch helps us to store the data in key value pairs and, based on that, we can produce visualisations in Kibana. It helps us to analyse the logs based on the location, user, and other log parameters.

What needs improvement?

It needs email notification, similar to what Logentries has. Because of the notification issue, we moved to Logentries, as it provides a simple way to receive notification whenever a server encounters an error or unexpected conditions (which we have defined using RegEx).

No stability issues.

Not really any scalability issues, but we have set up a cron job to delete old logs so that we don’t hit the disk space issues. It would be helpful if such a feature were added to the UI, where old logs could be deleted automatically. (Don’t know if this feature is already there).

ELK documentation is very good, so we have never needed to contact technical support.

We used Logentries. Because of open source we moved to ELK, considering it as part of a cost-cutting strategy and evaluation. But due to the lack of a notification feature, we again moved to Logentries.

Slightly complex, especially when you are configuring a machine which is on a separate IP, rather than on a single machine. In my case, Elasticsearch, Kibana and Logstash were on different machines. Along with that, we added a proxy server (nginx) ahead of the Kibana server. We used the proxy server for user authentication so that only known users would be able to access the Kibana dashboard. ELK's free version doesn't have user authentication, and this forced us to go with this alternative. We have four machines in total.

When we were using the Amazon Elasticsearch Service we had one cluster of Elasticsearch which, by default, gave us the Kibana dashboard. We just added a proxy server for user authentication.

Graylog, Fluentd.

What other advice do I have?

I give it a seven out of 10. They don't provide user authentication and authorisation (shield) as a part of their open source version.

Nice to implement, they have nicely written documentation.

EChannel IT Architect at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is easy to scale with the cluster node model

How has it helped my organization?

• Fast search
  • Relevant results returned
  • Autocomplete/fuzzy search

What is most valuable?

• Search
  • To implement the main requirements regarding my support portal.

What needs improvement?

Machine learning on search.

No issues. It is very stable.

No issues. It is easy to scale with the cluster node model.

I would rate technical support with a nine out of 10. Support is very reactive and proactive.

We did have a previous solution. It was a monster to install and configure.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The pricing and license model are clear: node-based model.

We evaluated Solr.

What other advice do I have?

The search product is a product exposing API. Therefore, be comfortable in developing your own front-end to integrate the Search API.

Selvam Krishnan - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Delivery Lead - Enterprise Monitoring at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Data collected will be used for near real-time monitoring, analytics, and machine learning
  • "X-Pack provides good features, like authorization and alerts."

What is our primary use case?

We use ELK primarily for enterprise monitoring and analytics through log ingestion. The data collected in Elasticsearch will be used for near real-time monitoring, analytics, and machine learning.

How has it helped my organization?

All new applications have been onboarded and used by the application teams. The initial feedback has been positive, and its capabilities seem to be a descent fit for our needs.

What is most valuable?

ELK being an open source certainly provided a platform for our organization to get involved.

X-Pack provides good features, like authorization and alerts. An X-Pack license is more affordable than Splunk.

What needs improvement?

Logstash has been a challenge and needs improvements in data ingestion reconciliation. The Kibana Cross Cluster feature is long awaited and I hope 6.0 will address it without issues.

Less than one year.

ELK has been considered as an alternative to Splunk to reduce licensing costs.

it_user779379 - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Furnishes good end to end log monitoring, Logstash grok pattern capabilities

What is most valuable?

ELK provides

• good end to end log monitoring
    • Logstash grok pattern
    • elasticserach indexing
    • easily configurable Kibana dashboards
    • feature rich and appealing Kibana UI, as its USP.

How has it helped my organization?

The product offers a powerful, cost effective solution for proprietary log management and is easy to understand and start with. This saves cost as well as enhances usability.

What needs improvement?

The open source version should ship basic security versions with it. Alerting is an important feature which is not available in the open source stack.

About two years.

Stability issues can be seen with Logstash and can be addressed using Kafka. Also, data collections may not be 100% optimal using Filebeat and could be further improved.

The product is highly scalable, especially on the database side (elasticserach).

Have worked on the open source version and, hence, I don't have much information about tech support.

I have not worked with another solution.

The setup is straightforward for PoC, but becomes complex while scaling it or deploying it for production.

Yes, I evaluated GrayLog and Fluentd, but ELK was more feature rich.

What other advice do I have?

The ELK open source stack is rich in features but lacks the essential security features.

ELK is one of the best open source alternatives for log management. If alerting and security features can be built by the team internally, on top of the stack, then the product is for sure going to add a lot of value to business.