Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Dell PowerPath OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Dell PowerPath is #3 ranked solution in top Storage Software tools. PeerSpot users give Dell PowerPath an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Dell PowerPath is most commonly compared to Pure Storage FlashArray: Dell PowerPath vs Pure Storage FlashArray. Dell PowerPath is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 69% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
Dell PowerPath Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell PowerPath Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Dell PowerPath?

EMC PowerPath: Host-based software for automated data path management, failover and recovery, and optimized load balancing. PowerPath automates, standardizes, and optimizes data paths in physical and virtual environments as well as cloud deployments to deliver high availability and performance.

AUTOMATE FAILOVER/RECOVERY

PowerPath automates data path failover and recovery to ensure applications are always available and remain operational.

OPTIMIZE LOAD BALANCING

Adjust I/O paths constantly to leverage all available data paths and to monitor and rebalance the dynamic environment for the best application performance.

STANDARDIZE PATH MANAGEMENT

Simplify and standardize data path management across heterogeneous physical and virtual environments as well as cloud deployments.

Dell PowerPath was previously known as PowerPath.

Dell PowerPath Customers

Healthcare Residential Service Company

Dell PowerPath Video

Dell PowerPath Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell PowerPath pricing:
  • "Pricing is good. I don't have any issues with the pricing of this solution."
  • "The price of the solution is fair."
  • Dell PowerPath Reviews

Availability Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Really easy to set up with great functionality and flexibility
    • "We have found the solution to be quite flexible and very scalable."
    • "While I utilize it for data migration, I would love to do that data migration in a GUI from an ease of use perspective."

What is our primary use case?

We are implementing the solution for our customers.

We primarily use it for multiple operating systems. It has been implemented for AIX. It was implemented for Linux and Windows. Basically, we've used it with all of them.

What is most valuable?

Normally, clients are without a license. We install it in order to utilize it instead of the native multipathing. The solution offers load balancing, which is great.

The overall functionality has been really good.

The setup is really easy.

We have found the solution to be quite flexible and very scalable.

We haven't had any stability issues.

What needs improvement?

While I utilize it for data migration, I would love to do that data migration in a GUI from an ease of use perspective. I would love to have this feature in the future. I would love to work in host-based migration instead of the native operating system tools.

If there is an operating system that is discontinued, PowerPath will now also stop the support for that operating system; for example, in the case of Solaris. I would prefer them to keep supporting that system, however, at the same time, I can understand why they have discontinued services.

We started dealing with the product in 2006.

DataCore SANsymphony vs. Dell PowerPath
    September 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about DataCore SANsymphony vs. Dell PowerPath and other solutions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In terms of stability, we are providing support to our clients, and I don't recall having that much feedback in terms of issues related to PowerPath.

The solution is scalable. The flexibility is there.

We provide support and there really haven't been too many issues.

We were working with EMC before the joint venture between Dell and EMC. The performance of EMC was better than the performance of the support with Dell after the JV.

Recently, from what I saw in the support team, for the first level of the support, they do not seem to be very experienced like the people who were working in the support at the time of EMC. The quality has gone down.

The said, once you get past the first level, the level of support is good.

I wasn't directly involved in the implementation process. It's my understanding that the initial setup is very easy and quite straightforward. It's not overly difficult.

I have no idea about the pricing of the solution, especially in relation to other solutions. I cannot compare it.

I haven't compared it with other products.

What other advice do I have?

We have a partnership with Dell EMC. We have a Titanium partnership with Dell EMC and a Gold partnership with VMware.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten overall. I have no experience with any other third-party multipathing software to compare it to, however, my experience with this product has been very good.

Private Cloud
    Enterprise IT Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Reasonably priced, stable, simple to setup, and has good support
    • "The most valuable feature of this solution is migration without disruptions."
    • "The solution is quite stable, although they have not quite worked out all of the kinks."

What is our primary use case?

Dell EMC PowerPath is primarily used for multi-pathing for both standalone and virtual hosts.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is migration without disruptions.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Dell EMC PowerPath for eight years.

I believe that we are working with version 7.

Dell EMC PowerPath is quite stable.

It's only needed per host.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Pricing is good. I don't have any issues with the pricing of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

In the last four or five years, we have not had any issues.

It's a good option, but it depends on your use case scenario. It's fit for a purpose.

This is a product that has been available for several years. They have worked out the majority of the kinks. It's not a huge product, but it's a product nonetheless. It essentially performs multi-pathing for a host, which is all it does, they have got it pretty solid.

I would rate Dell EMC PowerPath a nine out of ten.

DataCore SANsymphony vs. Dell PowerPath
    September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Vice President - Digital Technology at MSPL Limited
    Good interface, scalable, but lacking technical support availability

What is most valuable?

The user interface is good.

I have been using this solution for five years.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is good but they are not available all the time.

The installation is easy.

The price of the solution is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dell EMC PowerPath a seven out of ten.