IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Delinea Secret Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Delinea Secret Server is #2 ranked solution in top Enterprise Password Managers and top Privileged Access Management (PAM) tools. PeerSpot users give Delinea Secret Server an average rating of 8 out of 10. Delinea Secret Server is most commonly compared to CyberArk Privileged Access Manager: Delinea Secret Server vs CyberArk Privileged Access Manager. Delinea Secret Server is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
Delinea Secret Server Buyer's Guide

Download the Delinea Secret Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Delinea Secret Server?

Secret Server is a fully-featured Privileged Access Management (PAM) solution available both on premise and in the cloud. It empowers security and IT ops teams to secure and manage all types of privileged accounts and offers the fastest time to value of any PAM solution.

Delinea Secret Server was previously known as Thycotic Secret Server.

Delinea Secret Server Customers

Secure-24, University of San Diego, International Rescue Committee, San Francisco Ballet, Perkins Coie, University of San Diego, D.S.S. Limited, Turbo's Hoet, Eclipse Computing, Cathay Bank, Stellarise, J&R Consulting

Delinea Secret Server Video

Delinea Secret Server Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Delinea Secret Server pricing:
  • "Pricing is comparable to competing products."
  • "Secret Server is expensive when compared to the cost to some alternatives."
  • "There are different plans and additional licensing costs that can be instituted for add-ons."
  • "It would be beneficial if it were reduced."
  • "When comparing the price of Thycotic Secret Server with other solutions it is reasonable."
  • "Its price is okay. We don't compete on pricing. We seldom use price to win over our competitors. We prefer it this way because if we can sustain the price, we make more margin as well. We don't want the price to go down to the bottom where despite the win, there's no margin at all."
  • Delinea Secret Server Reviews

Tor Nordhagen - PeerSpot reviewer
    Executive Director at Semaphore
    Excellent access management that can serve very large networks
    • "The GUI interface is well-designed and user-friendly."
    • "This product is excellent in every way except minor details in handling extremely large environments."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is managing access for user groups and individuals in a very large environment.

What is most valuable?

One of the best things about Thycotic is that it is very easy-to-use. It is logical, it has well-designed screens and a nice GUI interface. It has good performance and is generally a pleasure to operate.

What needs improvement?

If you look at Thycotic, it is a great product that has pretty much all the same features as CyberArk — which will be replacing it. There is not much difference between the two. We will be switching away from using Thycotic, however, before the end of the year.   The catalyst for the change was a formal comparison of the two products that we did using each to evaluate how we would use it in solving actual use case issues. In the presentation of the scoring over specific categories, CyberArk had slightly better professional service marks and the same price. Besides that, the two products were neck-and-neck and almost identical in the scoring. CyberArk just came out just a little bit better than Thycotic in the details, and not by much at all. Be that as it may, the formal comparison is the reason for the change.

Thycotic has been in use in our Healthcare system for four years.
    Delinea Secret Server
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Delinea Secret Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Thycotic is a rock-solid product. Our organization never had any issues with it.

If you consider the shere physical size of the Healthcare environment, you can tell from that just how scalable the product is. Not every product can handle 55,000 network elements and 15,000 servers.

The technical support for Thycotic is very good as might be expected. The members of the support team that I have been in contact with are very much on the ball. Thycotic has  excellent service staff.

This will be the last year Thycotic will be in operation at Healthcare in Norway because it will be replaced by CyberArk at some time this year.   I think there are some very small things in Thycotic which are a little harder to do, and that is only because the Healthcare environment is so large. Healthcare has 55,000 network elements and 15,000 servers. One of the few things that CyberArk does better than Thycotic is to more neatly group IT assets in smaller bundles using a 'safe' that could be assigned to groups or teams for access. By comparison, Thycotic — at least in the versions leading up to the competition — lists all the assets at one time, no matter how many there are. When there are lists which are 15,000 elements long, it is harder to locate items and divvy up the work. So it was some slight usability things like this that really made the difference in the outcome of our comparison.   While this organizational feature in Thycotic was not so good, some other parts of the user interface that are included in it are really fabulous. Thycotic is more intuitive and it is more logical in many ways than CyberArk. So I really like the Thycotic product. But for this very large environment, it turned just to be slightly less applicable to our situation than its competition.   As I probably indicate from my answer, if it was not for the fact that we did a formal comparison and scoring of the products — following the objective measures that we have to follow when we buy things in the public — we probably would have done well just keeping Thycotic. But when you follow the Government process and the idea is to be absolutely impartial, then the way the scoring is set up is the way it goes.

I think the pricing of Thycotic and CyberArk products are very similar.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Thycotic as probably a nine. That is only because I have to rank them slightly lower after we decided to make the switch to CyberArk, and replacing a product that is a ten would not make a lot of sense. So a nine-out-of-ten it is.   Thycotic is a product that is so friendly that it can be used by nearly anyone and everyone, and that is a good place to be. As for the limitations in a very large environment, Thycotic could invest in making changes in the product to handle structuring in a segmented way. It would be costly for Thycotic to make that investment, but for Healthcare as a user group, that would have been the difference. We have already bought another product, so we are not going to change our minds again, but it may be worth considering for the team at Thycotic.   I would probably recommend Thycotic for most businesses because it is simpler and easier to deal with than CyberArk. So really, I would recommend it to all businesses except for the extremely large ones.

IT Governance, Risk & Compliance at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good solution for privileged access and password changing across different environments.
    • "Its most valuable feature is its main purpose - the password changing and the Heartbeat so the user has access to only their SVN and does not have access to any other. Thycotic's access privileged management tool allows you to grant access to users for a specific period of time and with specific attributes and privileges."
    • "In terms of what could be improved, the whole thing with distributed engines, et cetera, is a little bit tricky."

What is our primary use case?

We use Thycotic Secret Server for the lab environment. We have it as a vault for users and in a client project. We have set it as the users' mass login to the secret server so they have access to their SVN. It is for remote access, password changing, etc...

We use it on premise, mostly. I haven't used the cloud version, but we are discussing with the client about using the cloud deployment.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuables feature are its main purpose - the password changing and the Heartbeat so the user has access to only their SVN and does not have access to any other. Thycotic's access privileged management tool allows you to grant access to users for a specific period of time and with specific attributes and privileges.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, the whole thing with distributed engines, et cetera, is a little bit tricky. Additionally, many clients wanted a more cloud version. I know there is a cloud version of Thycotic Secret Server, but a whole unified platform would be good, not like where you have to set up a connector with the distributed engine and then have the Thycotic Secret Server connect with all these. Making a simpler version of connecting different sites and synchronization of the groups that you already have. Then the secrets and folder templates would follow the current infrastructure pattern that the client has so you don't have to recreate new folders and secrets from scratch. In other words, more interoperability with other systems, for example if a user already has a Microsoft Azure subscription. So, the integration with Microsoft as well would be good.

We have been using Thycotic Secret Server for about a year and a half.

In terms of stability, I would say, yes and no. We had some issues regarding the size of the disk space, which was a Thycotic side issue. There were many log files that they couldn't delete. And then we have another issue with the service account. We have to use another service account for Thycotic, and there was a mix-up with the database. All these issues were from the Thycotic side.

We're logging the tickets and I think there will be a resolution in the future.

Scalability is okay.

We use it for lab environment uses. We have about 20 users, not too many.

It takes one person to deploy in our environment.

We do have plans to increase. We have a live contract and other client requests for Thycotic, including maybe the cloud deployment. I hope it is not as tricky as on premise. Maybe it's easier, I don't know.

The initial setup depends on the client. That's why Isaid earlier that there should be a simpler version where we connect all the different sites, et cetera. Because for client installation and deployment, you have to set up two different servers for high availability, for example, and connect another through your site connectors for the distributed engines, and the client didn't have any load balancers. So, there were many issues and the Thycotic was a little bit tricky at that moment. It wasn't just a simple solution where you set up a server and you have it up and running.

The other thing is, and I think it's important, there is not much documentation on the internet. Besides the partner portal it would be nice if there was a blog or something that we could use. So for most cases, we have to open a ticket, either us as partners or on the client's side.

Our license is yearly.

What other advice do I have?

Thycotic Secret Server is a good solution for what it does. We are happy for that, but maybe they can improve some features. Let's say the keystrokes function doesn't work. We have reported that to Thycotic, but they still have many improvements to do.

On a scale of one to ten, I think Thycotic Secret Server is an eight - maybe.

Delinea Secret Server
    June 2022
    610,045 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Zebulon Griggs - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Executive Officer at Zigabyte
    Windows-based with a good function set, easy to deploy, and capable of scaling up and out depending on your needs
    • "I like that it is Windows-based. It is good that primarily, it is not an appliance. Some of the other applications in the space, such as a Quest Software CPAM or a Safeguard, are appliances, so you can't deploy the ends of them. With Thycotic, you can either install your Temporal Protection module physically in the VM host, or you can use BouncyCastle for high-security module capabilities."
    • "One thing that I wish they would do is to have a Kubernetes or container-based deployment supported, but they're not quite there yet. Containerization or support for containerization would be fantastic."

What is our primary use case?

We are a Thycotic partner. We use Thycotic extensively, and we also do a lot of implementations for them. Generally, it is for privilege access management and session recording capabilities.

A few clients have used it as a proxy capability, and the functionality there is that the privileged accounts have access from their workstations to the servers. In order to get access, they have to be basically proxied through Thycotic for an SSH or RDP connection, and then you have a control capability for auditing and session recording.

We have used pretty much every version since 2018, including the latest version. We have deployed it to AWS and on-prem.

What is most valuable?

I like that it is Windows-based. It is good that primarily, it is not an appliance. Some of the other applications in the space, such as a Quest Software CPAM or a Safeguard, are appliances, so you can't deploy the ends of them. With Thycotic, you can either install your Temporal Protection module physically in the VM host, or you can use BouncyCastle for high-security module capabilities.

What needs improvement?

One thing that I wish they would do is to have a Kubernetes or container-based deployment supported, but they're not quite there yet. Containerization or support for containerization would be fantastic.

I have been using this solution since 2018.

There is nothing major. There were minor things that were really edge cases. We've had an issue in 2019 where if you went through the web interface to change your password, the agent that actually did the password change on the backend would go and make the change to the main controller or the active directory domain controller. After that, without waiting long enough for the change to finish committing, meaning waiting for zero nanoseconds, it would go and check to see if the change had been accomplished. So, they introduced a slight delay of two to three milliseconds, and that fixed the problem. It was really straightforward, but it took a little while to demonstrate what the actual problem was.

With our latest versions, the scalability is very good. They have a scale-out and scale-up capability depending on what your needs are and how distributed you want the capabilities to be. I don't know any other products on the market that are better at scaling.

We have deployed it to small organizations with 10,000 users. Our largest organization has 10 million users.

I would rate them a nine out of 10. You get forwarded around a bit, but you actually get somebody who can really help and solve the problem for you.

It is very straightforward. We generally do an automated deployment by using a script-based capability that we've created. It works out really well.

What other advice do I have?

It is a kind of self-serving advice, but I would advise getting a partner to deploy it for you. There are a lot of really good partners out there, not just us.

In terms of the maturity of their product, there are a lot of Enterprise capabilities that they haven't yet brought into the market, but after it has been called out to them that there is a customer who needs a capability, they're very quick and responsive around doing development to get that capability in, which is something I like. There was an Enterprise scalability capability where you have high availability and multi-site failover. One of the versions that they had back in the 2018 and 2019 timeframe did not support that capability. We called out some recommendations to them, and they had it in the product in the next major revision.

I would rate Thycotic Secret Server a 10 out of 10 because I am not familiar with any products that are capable of going on-prem and have a superior function set.

DevOps Lead at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It performs its basic use case with no downtime but its API is no good
    • "It is able to manage storage and use of personal passwords."
    • "There has been no downtime this year."
    • "The API is no good."
    • "It is expensive compared to other solutions in this category and for what it does."

What is our primary use case?

The most common use case will be just for keeping personal passwords. There are other things that we use if for, but that is the most common use case.

What is most valuable?

The ability to manage personal passwords is what it was built for and that is what makes it most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The main part of the product that could be improved is the API (Application Programming Interface). The Thycotic API is not very good.

I have been using Thycotic Secret Server for a couple of years. It could be as many as four.

I guess this should be considered a stable solution. There has been no downtime this year.

There are about 1200 users that are using this product at our organization. We are going to continue to use it at least for a while, but we are looking for some alternative solutions because it is not that good and there are better products available that can do what we need better. It seems to be able to scale with our user base.

I do not have any experience with technical support because I am not the person managing the product. We do have an internal IT crew that takes care of the application and they would be the ones who would be in contact with technical support if it were necessary.

When I came to this company, Secret Server was already in place. I do not know if the company may have had something in place before this. There is a consensus at the corporate level that we will continue using Thycotic Secret Server.

I do not think it is particularly straightforward if you do anything more than install it and turn it on. I do not have any feedback on the process of the installation itself because I did not install this product. as a DevOps, I find that modification is not straightforward.

I believe it was implemented in house by the team. We have maybe two people on staff who take care of this application.

I think that Secret Server is expensive when I compare the cost to some alternatives. There are different plans and additional licensing costs that can be added on, but I do not know the details exactly within our company.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this product. I would not because the basic functionality is okay, but we need some API access to use KPI (Key Performance Indicator) properly. We also need to automate some stuff using this secure vault. Attempting to do that is almost impossible because of the low quality of the API.

Me, speaking as a lead DevOps, I would not recommend it for this office. It is not the best choice for what we need.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product differently depending on what level or type of user is using the product. For the DevOps purposes, my rating would be zero. Each year it is less competitive and it can not be justified for the price.

In general, for end-users, I do not know. They are not exposed to the development end so I think they might give it a five-out-of-ten.

Technology Infrastructure Senior Analyst at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
    Feature-rich, easy to scale, stable, and well-developed
    • "I like the one-way hash, as well as the ability to store it in the cloud and access it from anywhere."
    • "Although the password policy was interesting, the default setting was inadequate."

What is our primary use case?

We intend to replace our pairing password management solution with something more enterprise-friendly.

We are currently conducting a demonstration with Thycotic Secret Server.

I've only used this solution a few times as a demo and haven't explored everything it has to offer, but I have experience integrating it with our Active Directory and setting up the server.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that you don't have to have separate databases for each department in your organization.

They have one central location, that they all go to it.

They all go to the same central location. If they leave, we can disable their account, reset their password, and integrate it with our Active Directory.

At this early stage, and based on my demo experience over the last two weeks, it appears to have more features than we require, but we can grow into it.

It's a great product. It seems that you could do your privileged access and things like that where you do the IEM. You could also make it so that those individuals have access for a set period of time to do their administration. These are the types of features we haven't really used, but I can see them being very useful. I can also see where they're going with this product, which is an all-in-one solution.

It appears to be well-developed.

What needs improvement?

Although the password policy was interesting, the default setting was inadequate. As a result, we had to change it to be 20 characters with symbols. It was an odd process, but it was relatively simple to adjust.

I have been using the latest version of Thycotic Secret Server for a couple of weeks.

Thycotic Secret Server is a stable solution. We didn't encounter any bugs or glitches.

It appears to be pretty easy to scale.

We have fewer than ten people to test the demo in our organization.

We may decide to use this solution, and we are attempting to budget for it. We must sell the features and show that the extra cost is justified.

I have not contacted technical support. We had our representative involved, and he brought in a technical person to assist with the build, as well as being available to answer questions.

We are working with Jira.

The initial setup was fairly simple.

We are going from a free product, which isn't necessarily a fair comparison because it brings many things to the table, but it appears to be reasonably priced.

It would be beneficial if it were reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I haven't tested many other products, but this one appears to be quite good. I believe it is comparable in the industry.

I haven't used this solution a lot, just in a demo capacity. I haven't explored all that it can office. I have worked on the integration with our Active Directory, and we set up the server.

I would rate Thycotic Secret Server an eight out of ten.

Meo Ist - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Product Manager and Technology Consultant at Barikat
    The native integration is crucial
    • "Delinea's network integration is the most useful. For example, I use a Check Point firewall connect to SmartConsole, so I need to do a lot of configuration in Delinea Secret Server. Native integration with Check Point is valuable. You can also go download whatever API you need from the cloud, whether you're using Check Point, Palo Alto, etc. Enriched discovery is another good feature. If you are dealing with several kinds of systems, you can see which system requires privileged access to my network."
    • "I formerly used only one service: the remote server. For example, I connected to the Active Directory user and the computer's console. But now, I need to do a remote connection to the domain controller. Maybe it only connects to that tool, the Active Directory users, and the computer management console, but not to the domain controller. Another thing Delinea could add is multi-factor authentication."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for Delinea Secret Server is to sort the privileged passwords. It can also change passwords after a set period or revoke passwords when someone leaves the company. Delinea needs to be on-premises because Turkish regulations do not allow cloud-based security solutions for some sectors.

What is most valuable?

Delinea's network integration is the most useful. For example, I use a Check Point firewall connect to SmartConsole, so I need to do a lot of configuration in Delinea Secret Server. Native integration with Check Point is valuable. You can also go download whatever API you need from the cloud, whether you're using Check Point, Palo Alto, etc.  Enriched discovery is another good feature. If you are dealing with several kinds of systems, you can see which system requires privileged access to my network.

What needs improvement?

I formerly used only one service: the remote server. For example, I connected to the Active Directory user and the computer's console. But now, I need to do a remote connection to the domain controller. Maybe it only connects to that tool, the Active Directory users, and the computer management console, but not to the domain controller. Another thing Delinea could add is multi-factor authentication.

I've been using Delinea Secret Server for five years.

Delinea is highly stable.

It's incredibly easy to scale up Delinea. You can install a new vendor server and deploy the Delinea Secret Server application if you have performance issues. We have 120 admin users and around 5,000 privileged passwords stored in the vault on the Secret Server.

I rate Delinea support 10 out of 10. It's good, but I don't need it often. Sometimes I need help with configuration. If you need a custom configuration, you can pay for professional services, but it's expensive.

I've also used CyberArk. CyberArk has more features, but they are minor. Some customers may need them, but others don't. The main difference is pricing. CyberArk is more expensive.

A Delinea license costs about a dollar per admin, whereas it's $5 for CyberArk.

The installation is pretty basic, and it doesn't require advanced knowledge. It takes a day to install and configure CyberArk, but Delinea is done in an hour. But you need an escrow database. I requested a cluster system from the customer site.

After deployment, the solution doesn't require much maintenance because the Delinea is stable. I sometimes have a connection problem due to configuration, but I never have an issue with the database. You don't need to spend much time on maintenance or have a lot of technical knowledge.

We deployed Delinea in-house.

I would rate Delinea 10 out of 10 for affordability.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Delinea Secret Server 10 out of 10. If your customer uses a privileged access solution, they need to sort all the passwords. They should do a session recording and change the password, then do workflow delegation. Delinea can do it all, so I strongly recommend it.

Darius Radford - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
    Robust discovery engine, easy to scale, and easy to use user interface
    • "The discovery engine is really robust and flexible. It had some session management features that are better compared to some other vendors. Overall the GUI is very good and straightforward to operate compared to other solutions. For example, CyberArk and Hitachi tend to be hard to navigate."
    • "When working with larger enterprises Thycotic Secret Server becomes a little cumbersome to work with because they do not allow as much flexibility as some of the other competitors, such as CyberArk. Thycotic Secret Server could improve by being more flexible when it comes to customization, and increase the number of API integrations."

What is our primary use case?

We have used Thycotic Secret Server for some secret management and integrated it with some applications. We mainly used it for Privileged Account Discovery and the management of them.

What is most valuable?

The discovery engine is really robust and flexible. It had some session management features that are better compared to some other vendors. Overall the GUI is very good and straightforward to operate compared to other solutions. For example, CyberArk and Hitachi tend to be hard to navigate.

What needs improvement?

When working with larger enterprises Thycotic Secret Server becomes a little cumbersome to work with because they do not allow as much flexibility as some of the other competitors, such as CyberArk. Thycotic Secret Server could improve by being more flexible when it comes to customization, and increase the number of API integrations.

In an upcoming release, there should be more AI and machine learning features. Some of the competitors are leaning in this direction.

I have been using Thycotic Secret Server for approximately two years.

There can be some stability issues when you use the video record feature. You have to be careful when you turn on the video recording features and what you want to record because the data adds up quickly. There is a performance impact to your network as well, that has to be planned for. Users think it is a fancy feature and they want to use it but you have to plan ahead of time before you use it.

The solution is able to be scaled and it is not too difficult.

The last organization I implemented the solution in they have approximately 900 users using the solution.

The technical support is good. They were able to give us support when we needed it.

I have used other solutions, such as CyberArk and Hitachi.

The setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is they should know their requirements. It is a great solution it fits your requirements. It is important to know what you need to integrate with and how.

I rate Thycotic Secret Server an eight out of ten.

VP - Enterprise Solutions at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    Its ease of integration and the use of power shells are really attractive features
    • "I have found the password management and the secret management features to be the most valuable. Our customers find its ease of integration and the use of power shells really attractive."
    • "We always ask for partner enablement, which is more like a soft requirement rather than a product requirement. It would be great if they can provide us deeper knowledge of their products for integration."

What is most valuable?

I have found the password management and the secret management features to be the most valuable. Our customers find its ease of integration and the use of power shells really attractive.

What needs improvement?

We always ask for partner enablement, which is more like a soft requirement rather than a product requirement. It would be great if they can provide us deeper knowledge of their products for integration.

I have been working with Thycotic Secret Server for two to three years.

It is definitely stable.

It is scalable.

Their technical support is good.

The initial setup is very easy. The installation only takes a few hours. In fact, preparing the customer site takes most of the time, not the software installation.

Its price is okay. We don't compete on pricing. We seldom use price to win over our competitors. We prefer it this way because if we can sustain the price, we make more margin as well. We don't want the price to go down to the bottom where despite the win, there's no margin at all.

We looked at ManageEngine and One Identity. We picked Thycotic Secret Server because it is easy to install and integrate.

What other advice do I have?

Before suggesting or implementing a solution, getting the customer requirements is the most important, for example, whether they have an isolated site or multiple sites and whether the bandwidth between sites is sufficient.

This solution is for big and medium-to-big enterprises. Small enterprises won't require Thycotic Secret Server because you need a certain number of administrators, at least 10, and enough secrets to justify it. I don't think small enterprises can afford it.

It will be great if they can scale down the cloud version, in terms of the pricing and other things, to accommodate small enterprises. Currently, they are more focused on big enterprises. The Hong Kong market has a lot of small enterprises, so if they can accommodate or maybe cater specifically to the Hong Kong market, it will be great.

I would rate Thycotic Secret Server a nine out of ten.

Download our free Delinea Secret Server Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022