IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Citrix SD-WAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Citrix SD-WAN is #2 ranked solution in top WAN Optimization tools, #5 ranked solution in SD-WAN tools, and #5 ranked solution in top WAN Edge tools. PeerSpot users give Citrix SD-WAN an average rating of 10 out of 10. Citrix SD-WAN is most commonly compared to Cisco SD-WAN: Citrix SD-WAN vs Cisco SD-WAN. Citrix SD-WAN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.

Download the WAN Optimization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Citrix SD-WAN?

Citrix SD-WAN is a software-defined wide area network (SD-WAN), WAN optimization, and WAN edge solution. Citrix SD-WAN is recognized for providing a robust, trustworthy user experience so that an organization's distributed workforce can deliver the best possible outcomes at all times. Organizations can easily deploy solid security protocols wherever needed and also have the option to choose from a diverse choice of security options with unified security service and seamless integration with today’s top next-gen firewalls.

Citrix SD-WAN provides a single cloud-based user dashboard that enables organizations to easily manage their WAN, prioritize and audit applications, and configure security protocols. Citrix SD-WAN enables users to easily manage hybrid multi-cloud processes by improving applications and automating connectivity. Citrix SD-WAN gives organizations tremendous flexibility for deployment from public clouds, data centers, home offices, and branches.

Citrix SD-WAN is the basis of the Citrix consolidated process to SASE (secure access service edge) combined with cloud-delivered security and zero-trust network access to provide organizations with safe, trustworthy, secure access to each and every application anywhere, using any device.

The Citrix SD-WAN solution is made up of three basic components:

• Two software editions.
  • Cloud-hosted (or on-premises) orchestrator for clear visibility and unified protocol management.
  • Appliances: data center, home, branch, physical or virtual.

Citrix SD-WAN Orchestrator

The Citrix SD-WAN Orchestrator can be on premises or cloud-hosted and is a multi-tenant management service offered to Citrix partners and do-it-yourself enterprise organizations. The dashboard delivers a comprehensive view of your organization’s SD-WAN network concerning the functionality and usage of every site. The intuitive dashboard delivers a summary of uptime of the overlay and underlay paths, usage trends, and network-wide alerts.

Available application-centric policies: quality of service (QoS), firewall policies, and application-based traffic steering can all be easily configurable globally or per site.

Reviews from Real Users

“With SD-WAN, they have all the features and benefits they need to send live streaming information to the database and to headquarters without requiring a server at each site. Our other clients have various sites with just one type of communication, say a radio or a mobile network. SD-WAN helps them to combine and get a better bandwidth to balance all their applications and services.” - Business Consultant at a tech services company

“We needed to create some kind of network that was distributed through data and media or big files. It was a retail company, so there were branches, and the branches needed to connect to HQ. We provided HQ and each branch with Citrix SD-WAN. We tried to use it, and it worked well. The transmission was good, and they were losing less data.” - Ruslan M., SMB Sales Director, Regional Business Development Department at Softline

Citrix SD-WAN was previously known as Citrix CloudBridge, WOC, NetScaler SD-WAN.

Citrix SD-WAN Customers

AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Cornerstone Home Lending Inc., Dallara, ecVision, Essar, Eurofred, Groupe Promutuel, HMSHost Corporation, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Ltd, Royal Caribbean International

Citrix SD-WAN Video

Archived Citrix SD-WAN Reviews (more than two years old)

Gaurav-Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales & Solutions Architect at UST Global España
Good security, documentation, and technical support, but the price should be lower
  • "The most valuable feature is security, as it gives me the port bindings that cannot be accomplished using other solutions."
  • "I would like to either see the price reduced or have it packaged with other products to give better value for the money."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. One of the use cases was as an optimizer in a low-bandwidth area where I wanted to replace the MPLS connection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is security, as it gives me the port bindings that cannot be accomplished using other solutions. This solution gives me IPv6 layering over IPv4, which is helpful for some environments. The documentation is very good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to either see the price reduced or have it packaged with other products to give better value for the money. For example, other solutions have multiple services embedded in their appliance, which gives better value.

I have worked with NetScaler SD-WAN in several projects over the past three years.
WAN Optimization
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Citrix, Riverbed, Fortinet and others in WAN Optimization. Updated: July 2022.
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This is a stable and mature product. We have few admin support cases and the maintenance is very limited.

This solution scales out well. We generally work with large business and enterprise-level organizations.

The technical support from Citrix is very good. If I am stuck while performing a setup, I can get immediate support while I am on the call.

I have also work with similar solutions from Riverbed. I found that the documentation and support from Citrix were better.

Setting up is a little bit complex. It is definitely not done with the click of a button. For us, it normally takes about a week to understand the requirements and deploy it.

As NetScaler is now, I find it quite pricey.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this product is to first understand the business and the requirements. No solution should be purchased in haste. I have seen businesses with proper tools but they don't know what to do with them. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Transformation Delivery Head at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Good stability and scalability with very good technical support
  • "The scalability and stability are quite good in general."
  • "The initial setup could be a bit easier."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network latency authentication.

What is most valuable?

I don't have the level of detail to discuss the most valuable features of the solution. It doesn't come into my area of focus.

The scalability and stability are quite good in general.

What needs improvement?

I don't have too many details about what is lacking in the solution as I don't work with the solution in depth.

The initial setup could be a bit easier.

When it comes to networking from NetScaler, we have a continuous challenge in terms of getting and using other software.

We've been using the solution for over two years now.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability of the solution is fine. It scales much better when companies choose to use the cloud.

We normally contact technical support. We maintain different customer's clouds so we're constantly working with specific technical solutions and support. They are very good. We have a good relationship with them and have had good interactions overall.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is not that easy. We needed assistance with the initial installation.

We had assistance from consultants who helped us with the implementation of the solution. We've had a long working relationship with them and are quite satisfied with the level of service they've provided to us.

I don't have enough information on the pricing or what our company pays in order to discuss licensing in any great detail.

What other advice do I have?

We're using an older version of the solution, not the newest version.

We use the on-premises deployment model.

We don't use the solution ourselves, rather, we provide services to our clients.

We're testing it for a client right now. Whether the client will ultimately go with the solution is up to them.

Our company always promotes NetScaler, and for that reason, I'd give it a ten out of ten.

WAN Optimization
July 2022
611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Team Lead at Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Co. Ltd.
Enables us to check if a laptop is in our domain or not
  • "The VPN and the load balancing are the most valuable features."
  • "The reports need to be improved. We need to have them customized but they don't have that right now. I would like for them to have better system predictions. We don't have that right now. My system may be working fine right now but after making some changes, that can change."

What is our primary use case?

For the load balancing of the application is for load balancing and as a VPN gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a requirement where only the users who have a company laptop are connected to the system only using a VPN. We hand out the authority based on whether or not users have the company laptop or they can be converted by a company using the EPA, we can check if the laptop is in the domain or not.

What is most valuable?

The VPN and the load balancing are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The reports need to be improved. We need to have them customized but they don't have that right now. I would like for them to have better system predictions. My system may be working fine right now but after making some changes, that can change and I would like to know about it.

I would like to see better reports.

It's been three years we have deployed this product and I have not had any downtime or any issues with the product. The product is stable.

We can upgrade easily using the license.

There are 20,000 users that are connecting to my boxes because my websites, and other applications are posted on the NetScaler box only. We only require two people for maintenance. One is the administrator of the network and the other person is monitoring it. One is the administrator and the other is the engineer.

Support-wise, they're good.

We were using another solution but it had limitations and a lot of downtimes. That's when we changed the product.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Licensing is good. I don't have any issues with the rationing of it.

Pricing-wise, it is a little bit high compared to the other products which are the market right now. Because of the stability and availability of the product, I am fine with the price, but it's a little bit on the high side compared to the other products.

We also looked at Cisco Load Balancer and Radware. We did the PoC and we found the scale was good, so that's why we bought NetScaler.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you want to implement NetScaler make sure to get Citrix support for help.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. I took off two points because of the bad deployment.

it_user140667 - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal ICT Architect with 501-1,000 employees
If you only take into consideration its features and capability, it is definitely one of the better products available.

Valuable Features

It would have to be the HDX WAN Optimization and Application Acceleration.

Improvements to My Organization

Ability to deliver content / applications over XenApp/XenDesktop to remote sites with Satellite links.

Room for Improvement

Optimization of CIFS traffic and its integration with Windows (ie. Branch Repeater with Windows or CloudBridge WS).

Use of Solution

Our current project is still ongoing, its been at least 4 years.

Anyone who leverages any Citrix product should consider a TRM agreement.

Other Solutions Considered

We do have Riverbed appliances as well that performs a similar function.

Other Advice

<ul> <li> Analyze your WAN traffic and usage first (ie. look at Latency, Round Trip Time etc)</li> <li>Analyze your applications and users</li> <li>Conduct a PoC to compare performance with and without acceleration</li> <li>If you only take into consideration its features and capability, it is definitely one of the better products available in the market to date.</li> </ul>
it_user136041 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Platform Engineer at a integrator with 501-1,000 employees
CIFS optimisation is really good and benefits are realised if using ICA also. Initial configuration can be problematic.

What is most valuable?

CIFS optimisation is really good and benefits are realised if using ICA also.

How has it helped my organization?

Using solutions like this reduces the increase on Telco bandwidth - inter site optimisations and using the accelerator software for mobile users can be of great assistance too.

What needs improvement?

The configuration is less than intuitive and it's important that the network is fully mapped out before trailing this.

I am an integrator so I have configured and used this in 5 companies to date.

Initial configuration can be problematic.

None.

Assuming the network is fully discovered, this scales really well.

Customer Service: Not great - the first line support for this product is pretty much nil.Technical Support: Kind of relating to my comment above - plenty of people will sell you the product but you really need a skilled resource that has done this before - its not a product you want to learn while you are deploying it.

No, but I have done POCs on the Riverbed and Bluecoat appliances before recommending CloudBridge.

If full understanding is held of the network, it is pretty self explanatory if you have a network background.

I am an integration consultant so I was effectively the implementer that Citrix used (as a 3P).

One of my clients has capped their Telco costs (so the ROI is really the Telco growth savings).

Varies from client to client.

What other advice do I have?

Understand your network back to front. Make sure that your firewalls are well documented and that the network appliances in the company are well documented.