Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Citrix SD-WAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Citrix SD-WAN is #2 ranked solution in top WAN Optimization tools, #6 ranked solution in SD-WAN tools, and #6 ranked solution in top WAN Edge tools. PeerSpot users give Citrix SD-WAN an average rating of 9.2 out of 10. Citrix SD-WAN is most commonly compared to Cisco SD-WAN: Citrix SD-WAN vs Cisco SD-WAN. Citrix SD-WAN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
Citrix SD-WAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Citrix SD-WAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Citrix SD-WAN?

Citrix SD-WAN is a software-defined wide area network (SD-WAN), WAN optimization, and WAN edge solution. Citrix SD-WAN is recognized for providing a robust, trustworthy user experience so that an organization's distributed workforce can deliver the best possible outcomes at all times. Organizations can easily deploy solid security protocols wherever needed and also have the option to choose from a diverse choice of security options with unified security service and seamless integration with today’s top next-gen firewalls.

Citrix SD-WAN provides a single cloud-based user dashboard that enables organizations to easily manage their WAN, prioritize and audit applications, and configure security protocols. Citrix SD-WAN enables users to easily manage hybrid multi-cloud processes by improving applications and automating connectivity. Citrix SD-WAN gives organizations tremendous flexibility for deployment from public clouds, data centers, home offices, and branches.

Citrix SD-WAN is the basis of the Citrix consolidated process to SASE (secure access service edge) combined with cloud-delivered security and zero-trust network access to provide organizations with safe, trustworthy, secure access to each and every application anywhere, using any device.

The Citrix SD-WAN solution is made up of three basic components:

• Two software editions.
  • Cloud-hosted (or on-premises) orchestrator for clear visibility and unified protocol management.
  • Appliances: data center, home, branch, physical or virtual.

Citrix SD-WAN Orchestrator

The Citrix SD-WAN Orchestrator can be on premises or cloud-hosted and is a multi-tenant management service offered to Citrix partners and do-it-yourself enterprise organizations. The dashboard delivers a comprehensive view of your organization’s SD-WAN network concerning the functionality and usage of every site. The intuitive dashboard delivers a summary of uptime of the overlay and underlay paths, usage trends, and network-wide alerts.

Available application-centric policies: quality of service (QoS), firewall policies, and application-based traffic steering can all be easily configurable globally or per site.

Reviews from Real Users

“With SD-WAN, they have all the features and benefits they need to send live streaming information to the database and to headquarters without requiring a server at each site. Our other clients have various sites with just one type of communication, say a radio or a mobile network. SD-WAN helps them to combine and get a better bandwidth to balance all their applications and services.” - Business Consultant at a tech services company

“We needed to create some kind of network that was distributed through data and media or big files. It was a retail company, so there were branches, and the branches needed to connect to HQ. We provided HQ and each branch with Citrix SD-WAN. We tried to use it, and it worked well. The transmission was good, and they were losing less data.” - Ruslan M., SMB Sales Director, Regional Business Development Department at Softline

Citrix SD-WAN was previously known as Citrix CloudBridge, WOC, NetScaler SD-WAN.

Citrix SD-WAN Customers

AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Cornerstone Home Lending Inc., Dallara, ecVision, Essar, Eurofred, Groupe Promutuel, HMSHost Corporation, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines Ltd, Royal Caribbean International

Citrix SD-WAN Video

Citrix SD-WAN Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Citrix SD-WAN pricing:
  • "I believe that Citrix SD-WAN is a good investment, but I do not have the information to be more specific."
  • "It depends on the scale. In our case, it would have been better if we had known about the life cycling steps, but otherwise, it is worth the money."
  • "The price of the subscription should be cheaper."
  • "The license was a one-time purchase. It's expensive."
  • "It is a bit expensive. A cheaper product would be good, but everybody likes things to be cheaper. We bought the devices up front, and then we pay for the annual support."
  • Citrix SD-WAN Reviews

it_user1295586 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Citrix Engineer at Troye
    Reseller
    Feature rich, easy to implement, and offers a good ROI
    • "The SD-WAN solution as it is already is quite feature-rich and the upgrade process is very simple."
    • "Even though the monitoring is pretty good, there is some room for improvement there."

What is our primary use case?

In the South African environment, which is likely the same internationally as well, the MPLS is prohibitively expensive for clients, and it doesn't really give them the flexibility and the performance that they need. We found that with most of our clients being able to use off-the-shelf bandwidth products, it dramatically drives down their cost and gives them the control back they need. If there are performance issues, they pick it up fairly quickly, and they don't need to log a call with the ISP to go and look at what's wrong. They can control their own application quality of service and have a better view of their application performance than they would with an ISP managing their network.

What is most valuable?

There's no one specific feature that stands out. It's just the amount of application reliability that they get out of the solution. It ranks the highest, especially when you start looking at video and voice traffic across the network. The way the SD-WAN functions and handles traffic across links makes it a lot better. The user experience is great, and the voice and video performance is more reliable and offers better quality.

It's an easy solution to implement.

The solution is stable.

It is scalable.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be better. They need more knowledgeable people.

There isn't anything that I've come across that I would add to the solution. It's quite comprehensive already.

I've used the solution for seven years or so.

Citrix SD-WAN
    October 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Citrix SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2022.
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. I haven't had one outage in any of our SD-WAN environments. That's obviously taking WAN links out of the equation. The appliances themselves are super stable. We haven't had any appliances crash or anything like that. We've had one or two where there's been power damage. However, those environment variables are at play. Still, from a stability point of view, it's very stable.

The scalability of the solution is very easy.

We have 5,000 or 6,000 users on the solution right now.

I've reached out to support in the past.

This is one area where Citrix can focus and drive improvement. The level of support from Citrix is not that great. The level of service that you receive depends on the skill level of the engineer that you're in contact with. More often than not, it's very hit-and-miss. Sometimes you get an excellent engineer, and more often than not, you get someone that doesn't really know what they are talking about.

As a service provider, the expectation from us is that when we contact Citrix for support, the engineer's skill level should be higher than the skill level or support we can provide.

It's often a scenario where we know more than what Citrix's support engineers know. It's usually a case of case escalation to get the right skills on the case. From an SD-WAN point of view, we've only logged one call over the last three or four years. On the other hand, we've logged a couple of issues on the ADC side.

The initial setup is  pretty easy. You don't need to be a high-level network engineer to be able to deploy infrastructure on the SD-WAN side.

The time it takes to deploy depends on the size of the environment. That said, the setup time is fairly quick.

Clients have seen an ROI. For example, we do SD-WAN solutions for an online gambling company in South Africa, and we migrated them off MPLS onto our SD-WAN solution, and they're saving millions every month. They are just purely savings on MPLS spend.

There are a couple of licensing options depending on the hardware SKU that you're dropping at the customer premises. We've got throughput licensing, so 20 MB, 100 MB, 200, 300, 400 MB, all the way up to 6 GB per second. Depending on the size of the branch, that's how we would license it. Then you also have something that we call a platform license, where we've got the standard, advanced, and premium options. Depending on that platform license, it unlocks different sets of functionality.

It is definitely worth the price.

What other advice do I have?

We're service providers, so we manage a bunch of client environments, so we run multiple versions across the entire fleet of client systems. We don't use SD-WAN ourselves. It is just one of the products that we offer.

We're a Citrix platinum plus partner. That's the highest level of Citrix partnership that you can achieve. We function at a partner level as well as a reseller. More often than not, we'll engage with clients through the whole supply chain. Therefore, we'll spec their environment, we'll source the hardware for them, and then do the implementation. On top of that, we can handle training for onsite technicians and those kinds of things.

We have some clients that run SD-WAN on-prem, and then we've got a couple that runs in the public cloud as well, specifically Azure.

The important thing to look at for new users is the number of branches involved and the type of applications running across that network. Obviously, applications in our world are what make the world go around. Understanding the types of traffic that are traversing your network is probably step one in looking at an SD-WAN solution.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten purely for ease of use. The performance you get from the product, and its reliability are great. We've got fairly large-scale deployments, and we very, very rarely receive support calls for issues or anything like that.

The product just does what it does. It allows customers to focus on their core business rather than worry about the network's doing.

Microsoft Azure
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner/Reseller
    Jeffry Miguel De Los Santos - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Connects branches and data centers in a few clicks, while ensuring fast network communication
    • "The main advantage of Citrix SD-WAN is that it enables fast communication between our branches and data centers. And, with its cloud management features, it also makes the process of adding new branches into our company network much easier."
    • "Given that Citrix SD-WAN solved all our problems by providing us with everything we needed to unify communications with our branches and data centers, I cannot suggest anything further in terms of improvements."

What is our primary use case?

As the top manager and core engineer in my company working to secure job sites, I used a demonstration version of Citrix SD-WAN to enhance the communication between our branches and data centers. Specifically, it has been used to connect single branches with multiple data centers, where communication can flow quickly across them all. So, with Citrix SD-WAN, the primary use case is the provision of wide internet access from the data centers into our branches, as well as letting us manage the IT services through the cloud.

Previously, we had simply been using direct internet access in each branch, but we realized that our internet usage would be more normalized with Citrix SD-WAN. Our hardware devices are on-premises, of course, but the SD-WAN management is now done on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

The reason why we went with Citrix SD-WAN came about when we were looking to integrate one of our branches with the rest of the company in a simpler, more centralized manner. We wanted an easy integration solution that would let us deploy connectivity to a branch with only a few clicks, and so we tried Citrix SD-WAN. When deploying Citrix SD-WAN, we found that we could deploy very easily with a simple installation template, and it helped us clear up the configuration to get everything up and running.

What is most valuable?

Another reason why I like this solution is because it ensures the smooth and effective operation of the company's POS software.

What needs improvement?

Given that Citrix SD-WAN solved all our problems by providing us with everything we needed to unify communications with our branches and data centers, I cannot suggest anything further in terms of improvements.

I have used Citrix SD-WAN for three months.

It is stable.

It's a scalable solution. Once you've deployed it in the cloud, it's very flexible and can be adapted to your needs.

I think their support system works very well, and we were also working with a local reseller which was a good experience.

We were trying some other vendors at the same time that seemed to fit the job, but we had to help those vendors too much in trying to come up with a solution for us.

The setup was incredibly easy. The hardest part of the job was having to deploy during the day. However, with the configuration template we used, the deployment was a breeze.

Our communication with the vendor support was highly interactive and, in total, it took us only a day or two to deploy.

As a team of five members, we deployed Citrix SD-WAN in-house without the help of a third-party reseller team.

As for maintenance, we promoted one staff member to handle physical intervention and another for configuration.

I am not aware of the details of the licensing cost in this case because I was only trying it out.

What other advice do I have?

The functionality of Citrix SD-WAN is awesome and I fell in love with it on this deployment because it's so easy to use. It has everything that I need, I know what what works and what doesn't, and it has great flexibility in terms of management.

I would rate Citrix SD-WAN a ten out of ten.

Citrix SD-WAN
    October 2022
    635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    John Helsmoortel - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager Infrastructuur at Liantis
    Scales well, supports zero-touch deployment, and helps us to be more efficient
    • "The zero-touch deployment is most valuable for us."
    • "The communication around the life cycle would have been really helpful. The main issue we have had is related to the life cycle because some of the things that we are using were discontinued. They were discontinued within a year after we had purchased it, which is a bit painful. If we had known that, we would've made some other decisions."

What is our primary use case?

We are an HR service provider in Belgium. We have 60 offices in Belgium, and we basically use the SD-WAN setup to be more efficient with our WAN and with our spending, with regard to connectivity.

We are not using its latest version. I know we need to do an upgrade. So, it is the version before the latest one.

How has it helped my organization?

Citrix SD-WAN helps us in re-routing certain traffic, for example, local internet breakouts for Office 365. It also helps us to be more agile when we are opening new offices or when we are moving locations. We have deployed a config that is zero-touch. So, we can very quickly ship hardware devices to the correct locations and be up and running with internet lines in no time.

What is most valuable?

The zero-touch deployment is most valuable for us.

What needs improvement?

The communication around the life cycle would have been really helpful. The main issue we have had is related to the life cycle because some of the things that we are using were discontinued. They were discontinued within a year after we had purchased it, which is a bit painful. If we had known that, we would've made some other decisions.

Reverse compatibility between different versions would also be helpful.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

It is stable.

Scalability is not at all a problem. In terms of its users, for connectivity over the WAN, we have between 1,900 to 2,000 users. For administrating, there are three people.

I have not personally interacted with them, but my team did. We did a project together with Citrix.

It doesn't seem very difficult. It is easier than a traditional setup in terms of getting it deployed, but it is a little bit more complex in terms of running it. So, troubleshooting for our engineers is a little bit more complex.

It depends on the scale. In our case, it would have been better if we had known about the life cycling steps, but otherwise, it is worth the money.

We did a comparison between different solutions, and we used a methodology from Gartner to make the decision. The decision was to go with Citrix SD-WAN because it had the best score on most of our non-negotiable items. We had listed some objectives, and we scored all different solutions against our objectives. One of the parameters was cost, but it was not the only parameter. Citrix SD-WAN came out as the best solution for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise using Citrix professional services to have your design validated. We got a lot of value out of the discussions that we had with Citrix. We have a bit of an atypical setup. Usually, SD-WAN is deployed over two DSL lines, where we chose to have MPLS and DSL combined, and it really helped that we had help from Citrix themselves.

I would rate it an 8 out of 10. If we are in a situation today where we need to make a decision on which solution we are going to implement, I do believe that we would go for Citrix again. I would recommend Citrix to keep doing what they are doing, but they should be a little bit more open on what the plan is with Citrix SD-WAN. We have heard some rumors that they will discontinue the product, and that, of course, would be a pity.

Business Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides a fluid experience, balancing bandwidth to applications or solutions that need prioritizing
    • "It allows you to combine two asymmetrical connections."
    • "The price could be improved, it's an expensive solution."

What is our primary use case?

We offer this solution mainly to retail companies that have many sites and want to connect between them without relying on an MPX or a fiber connection. With SD-WAN, they have all the features and benefits they need to send live streaming information to the database and to headquarters without requiring a server at each site. Our other clients have various sites with just one type of communication, say a radio or a mobile network. SD-WAN helps them to combine and get a better bandwidth to balance all their applications and services. I'm a reseller and I make demos with the product. We are partners with Citrix and our company is based in Ecuador.

What is most valuable?

I like that SD-WAN allows you to combine two asymmetrical connections. Citrix provides more options than other solutions so you can balance the amount of bandwidth to any of your applications or solutions that need prioritizing, in addition to putting a hold on things that might block in a communication cut-off or some other event. It provides a more fluid experience to end-users when they're using their applications or desktops. It's user-friendly and easier to manage especially for those who don't have much knowledge about the minutiae of the product. I think Citrix is better than Cisco's solution.

What needs improvement?

I think the price can be improved, particularly in third world countries such as Ecuador where companies don't have the budget to implement expensive products. Citrix is a very complete solution, but the price is not in line with our market. It would be great if they could come up with a budget product. Cisco provides an inexpensive solution and Citrix could compete with that even if it doesn't have all the features of SD-WAN. I think it would catch on quickly in Latin America.

I've been supplying this solution to our customers for two years.

The solution is very scalable. One of our clients started out very small and implementing didn't require any more of an investment than they would have had to make with another MPX communication system or a radio system. They worked with what they had, and then implemented more and more solutions and connected them to their headquarters with a good result.

Citrix support is tricky in Ecuador. The people assigned to our region are not very well organized. As a result, we now certify our technicians so they can provide support to our clients. They carry out the updates and any patching and deal with any configuration improvements that can be made. Our clients are very happy with what we provide and give us good reviews. We have clients who have bought Citrix from other companies but they come to us for support.

For a certified user, the setup is very simple. I'm not involved in deployment but they say that it's very easy to implement. It only requires the setting up of some policies and the solution works. We have two engineers who deal with implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest getting to know your core business solutions, knowing which are the important solutions or apps that could be improved in terms of communications, and then just balancing it through SD-WAN with any kind of communication that they already have. It doesn't require a larger budget to put in place various symmetrical communications.

Licensing costs aside, I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.

Founder at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Includes good documentation, easy to set up, good endpoint monitoring and backup capabilities
    • "The best feature is the backup capability, where all of the users' computers are tied into a central data repository."
    • "Citrix should continue to offer a perpetual licensing model because it is very important to us."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to improve the security of our network.

We also use it to monitor and control the endpoints that we have.

What is most valuable?

The documentation is good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Citrix SD-WAN for eight months.

We have approximately 60 users.

I have not been in contact with technical support. We found that the documentation is adequate and we were able to follow all of the instructions.

We have not used another similar solution in the past.

The installation process is very easy and it does not take long to set up.

We deployed it with our in-house team. We have two software administrators in the team.

We have a perpetual license, which is very important because it allows us to manage our costs, rather than having a monthly or yearly subscription. A yearly license is okay except that we consider software an asset, which means that we need a perpetual license.

The price of the subscription should be cheaper.

I would rather pay three-to-five times more for a perpetual license than pay for a subscription because the lifecycle will be between five and seven years. After seven years, we will try to look for another solution. If Citrix is still top-notch then we would update to the most recent version.

Citrix is a good product so I have not looked at other options.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it. I'm going to continue using it unless something new is offered by a competitor at a cheaper price. I that case, I may switch.

Ciaran Watson-Barron - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior IT Network Engineer at SW Security Solutions
    The hands-on customer support, and load balancing that come with this solution are above all others on the market
    • "The solution is brilliant, the way it calculates its paths and trails is great."
    • "I would like to see more customization to adjust for the WAN lock-out due to our unexpected power outages."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to provide interconnectivity between branches and optimize the connection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is load balancing. This feature allows for multiple links on one device which is a lifesaver when dealing with load shedding.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable. We only require two people for maintenance.

The solution is extremely scalable.

The support is excellent with quick response times and resolution.

The initial setup is straightforward as long as you are familiar with the solution.

The implementation was completed in-house.

Before choosing the solution I evaluated Juniper Networks and Cisco Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution ten out of ten.

The solution is brilliant, the way it calculates its paths and trails is great.

The hands-on customer support and load balancing that come with this solution are above all others on the market.

I recommend the solution, especially for organizations based in areas that suffer from load shedding.

Microsoft Azure
    Ruslan Melnikov - PeerSpot reviewer
    SMB Sales Director, Regional Business Development Department at Softline
    MSP
    Provided stable data transmission for a distributed network

What is our primary use case?

Our use case was for a distributed network. We have customers around Russia, and a customer in the Far East had infrastructure with about 5,000 kilometers between each branch. We needed to create some kind of network that was distributed through data and media or big files. The Far East isn't very stable territory, so we had to use a low-level network and create a good result in data transmission.

It was a retail company, so there were branches, and the branches needed to connect to HQ. We provided HQ and each branch with Citrix SD-WAN. We tried to use it, and it worked well. The transmission was good, and they were losing less data.

The solution is deployed on our customers' hardware.

What is most valuable?

The stability is the main feature of Citrix SD-WAN. You can also upgrade the data packages or have less transmission.

What needs improvement?

The price is the only thing that could be improved. Citrix is not a cheap solution.

I have been using this solution for one year.

The solution was stable.

We haven't used the Citrix tech support because we have our own support.

I think the ROI is okay. You have to spend a large amount of money at first, but you could see ROI in 3-5 years. It's a good proposal.

The license was a one-time purchase. It's expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.

Richard Vivian - PeerSpot reviewer
    Chief Technology Officer at KOLOK SA
    A stable solution for reliable connectivity

What is our primary use case?

It is used to get connectivity between our branches. In terms of the version, we are using version 10.1, and we have different SD-WAN devices.

What is most valuable?

The reliability of connectivity is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I am happy with this product. If anything, its price can be reduced. It is a bit expensive.

I have been using this solution for about six years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. We've got about 250 users in the company. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

They have been okay to work with. I am satisfied with their support.

We didn't use any other solution previously.

I don't know about the setup. I had a consultant set it up for me. For its deployment and maintenance, we just have one person.

We bought the devices up front, and then we pay for the annual support.

What other advice do I have?

It is not a cheap product but it serves. I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Download our free Citrix SD-WAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: October 2022