We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
ZhulienKeremedchiev
Lead Network Security Engineer at TECHNOCORE LTD
Flexible, scalable, and stable, but needs more intuitive interface
  • "In the virtual deployment, you have a couple of choices depending on your needs and how much bandwidth you have that needs to be inspected."
  • "Cisco can do better on their documentation because the product is really hard to understand."

What is our primary use case?

The solution works on a base set of rules to detect malicious traffic or certain exploits, which can be done from both the outside and inside network.

What is most valuable?

In the virtual deployment, you have a couple of choices depending on your needs and how much bandwidth you have that needs to be inspected. It is quite flexible because it can be deployed on the cloud as well. All the kinks which were in the previous versions were fixed.

What needs improvement?

I do not think that Cisco has official documentation regarding use cases. They can do better on their documentation because the product is really hard to understand. You need a lot of time to change around things to understand how it works exactly and fine-tune it. If they make it less complicated, I think it will really help all the customers.

They could make the user interface of the management center more user friendly and customizable in the next release. I think they can take some pointers from Palo Alto because their user interface is really intuitive and really customizable.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. The management center, which controls the sensors, you can deploy it. You have two different virtual appliances, one is for managing up to 25 sensors and the bigger one is up to 300 sensors. The hardware list of the products ranges from, I think, 20 sensors and up to 500. Depending on your needs, you can scale it.

We have three administrators working on the solution and the whole organization is being protected by it.

Cisco support is really great. Especially when you have a priority case, when everything is down, you can get an engineer in 15 minutes.

The setup is easy, you do not need hardware. You can just sign up for AWS or Azure and you can deploy it there.

There are licensing fees depending on the features that you are using.

I have evaluated Palo Alto in the past.

What other advice do I have?

Before this version of the solution, it was like a normal IPS. The source for IPS was bought by Cisco, and now it is integrated into the Firepower Threat Defense. The Firepower Defense is a unified image of both the previous firewall which Cisco had, the ASA, and the source for IPS. Currently, the FTD is like a UTM device, a unified threat management device, because it has firewall capabilities and IPS capabilities.

I am going to continue using this solution even though I enjoyed using their main competitors product from Palo Alto. I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cisco NGIPS a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
DGM IT Infra & Facility at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good DDoS protection and IPS/IDS functionality, and it is easy to set up
  • "The features that I find most valuable are the DDoS protection, IPS/IDS, and Firepower for web application filtering."
  • "Better integration with other products, such as a SIEM tool, would provide better peer visibility about your security posture."

What is our primary use case?

We have a data center and we need security products such as Cisco NGIPS to protect us from attacks that are going to impact our organization. For the purpose of completing our compliance audit and VAPT process, we have these kinds of security solutions in place.

What is most valuable?

The features that I find most valuable are the DDoS protection, IPS/IDS, and Firepower for web application filtering. These three things are pretty good and each is valuable as per the different needs of my business operations.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better support for preventing cross-scripting and brute-force attacks that may originate from our homegrown applications. This is needed because the applications that we are developing for internal use do not go through the heavy security check that we have in place. If there is some flaw in an application, which happens every now and then, then there will be a huge cost that I may have to pay. I would like to know that if I have a security solution in place then I am at least 99% confident that problems will be prevented. As it is now, I cannot say that I am 80% secure against my applications being attacked.

Better integration with other products, such as a SIEM tool, would provide better peer visibility about your security posture. Adding this type of functionality would make this product unbeatable.

We have been using Cisco NGIPS for more than five years.

This is a stable product.

Cisco NGIPS is scalable and we have about 600 users.

Technical support is outsourced and it is good.

I did not work with another solution before this one.

The initial setup is straightforward and the deployment took about three weeks.

I have ten people who take care of maintenance.

Pricing depends on negotiation with the vendor, although I can say that it is moderate. I would not say that it is very high or low, but rather, average.

What other advice do I have?

I am now trying to implement a more rigorous web application firewall because I don't want to manage the bugs or attacks that are going to come from the outside. I would prefer it is managed by somebody who is an expert in web application firewalls. I want to couple it with additional software for load-balancing to improve speed. Allowing somebody else to manage this will free up my time to run my business, which is better for generating revenue for the company.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco NGIPS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Useful filters, reliable, and customer support helpful
  • "I have found the filter and the antivirus to be most valuable."
  • "The user interface needs some improvement, it is a little rudimentary and not very intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for traffic filtering, security, and antivirus capabilities.

What is most valuable?

I have found the filter and the antivirus to be most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs some improvement, it is a little rudimentary and not very intuitive. If you are not very technical inclined you may need to be assisted or might struggle to set it up.

The newer version tends to use a lot of system resources. For example, your processor and RAM.

I have been using the solution for approximately four years.

The solution is stable and reliable, it does the job well.

The scalability is excellent, they can support a large environment. However, a large size organization will need its own dedicated appliance.

The customer support is very good.

We have used and still use Darktrace. We do not use it to replace Cisco's NGIPS solution but we use it predominantly as an in-network snooper.

The installation is complex.

We used an in-house team to do the deployment and it takes roughly a day and a half depending on the size of your organization and the configuration. Setting up the rules, all the features, and the licensing takes time.

To do the maintenance you need somebody familiar with Cisco and networking technologies.

By using this solution we have received a return on our investment.

Cisco products are not cheap and this solution is no different. However, the price of all of the Firepower is part of a bundle when you buy the actual firewall, the Cisco firewall. It is part of the whole bundle package, but Firepower IPS itself has its own costs.

We are on a yearly license and the price depends on the environment, we pay approximately $33,000. The solution has additional components, and each one of the components cost extra.

What other advice do I have?

For those wanting to implement this solution, I was advice before deploying the solution, understand exactly what you want it to do for you. The product has a couple of different capabilities, do you want to expand, or you may not want to expand. These are scenarios that you have to take into account. I would not recommend the solution for small organizations, it would be too time-consuming for that.

I rate Cisco NGIPS an eight out of ten.

Muhammad Aneel
Distribution officer at Wilshirelabs
Provides very good IPS and VirtualBox features
  • "Good IPS and VirtualBox features."
  • "Should include additional security features."

What is our primary use case?

At present, we are using different policies against which we gather logs. Logs that have been deleted on a first in, first out basis. The logs are only available for three to four hours max. I work in the IT department of a pharmaceutical company and we are customers of Cisco.

What is most valuable?

We are looking for cybersecurity threats, like Pinterest and this solution has a good IPS feature as well as it's VirtualBox which helps us to time and for the QD, our daily routine tasks or issues. The solution provides a clear picture of what a user is doing at a specified time.

What needs improvement?

Because of cybersecurity threats, other security features should be available in Cisco devices. Sangfor IAM is good because this provides the logging IAM feature which you can retain for up to 12 months. But Cisco does not provide this type of logging because no third-party logging server is supported with the Cisco firewall.

I've been using this solution for three years.

The stability is fine. We manage to resolve general bugs by updating the software or VirtualBox as well as in the hardware. That is not a big deal for us.

The scalability is fine for us, we currently have 50 users.

Their technical support is good. We have SLA with Cisco, which will be renewed next year.

We have a somewhat complicated environment over here. We have also implemented SSG Juniper, SSG140, so basically their firewall is working as a router.

The price is a little high in comparison to other similar solutions. If we talk about Sophos Firewall with IBM software, it's cheaper in comparison to Cisco and their VirtualBox.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this latest model of Cisco firewall. In terms of the wide logging, it gives us as much as we need. We have implemented 30 to 35 policies in which loggings are gathered.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Cyber Security Engineer at a tech company
Easy to use and simple to set up but could offer more integration capabilities
  • "We have found the product to be quite stable."
  • "The solution would be better if it offered customers more integrations and more signatures."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall. It's for company security.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

We have found the product to be quite stable.

The installation process is not difficult.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be better if it offered customers more integrations and more signatures.

I've been using the solution for around four years. It's been a while. It's useful for anomaly detection, impact inspection, signatures, and stuff like that.

The stability of the product is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. the performance is good and we consider it reliable.

We have around 2,000 users in our organization using the solution.

We have contacted Cisco technical support in the past. Their support is the best in the market. We are very satisfied with the level of service they provide to their clients.

We are using both Cisco and Fortinet.

It's very straightforward and very easy to set yo the solution. It's not overly complex.

It took us one to two days at a maximum to install everything and to get everything going.

We have two technicians and three engineers that can handle any deployment or maintenance tasks.

We handled the setup ourselves. We did not require the assistance of any integrators or consultants. It was all done in-house.

We have a subscription for the signatures and footprints.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

We always use two older versions than the latest in case the latest has bugs or issues.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

I would recommend this product to other users and companies.

Networking Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good support, stable, and has a lot of advanced security features
  • "The integration with the Cisco portfolio is very helpful."
  • "Multi-internet line load balancing should be supported."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a system integrator and Cisco NGIPS is one of the products that we implement for our clients. This is a solution for enterprise networks and it has a lot of advanced features including security intelligence feeds and DNS security.

What is most valuable?

This product can be integrated with other solutions from the Cisco portfolio including Cisco ISE and SecureX. The integration with the Cisco portfolio is very helpful. Cisco ISE will give full control in any network and it can be used to isolate any infected or misbehaving users automatically.

What needs improvement?

Multi-internet line load balancing should be supported. It is available from other vendors and should be included with this product.

This is one of the most stable solutions in the firewall world.

Cisco takes scalability into consideration. My clients vary in size from small and medium-sized businesses to enterprises.

The best support that I have ever dealt with is from Cisco. I am very satisfied with their service.

I have experience with a lot of network security products. These include solutions by Cisco, Palo Alto, Fortinet, and Forcepoint.

The initial setup is very simple and in one or two hours, it can be up and running.

The licensing can be billed annually or in multi-year contracts such as three, four, or five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner, integrator
Network engineer at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
IPS ability enables you to balance security and connectivity
  • "The most valuable feature is its IPS ability. You are able to balance security and connectivity."
  • "The CLI, the console line interface, of the FTD could be improved. It's very complex, so without a GUI, it doesn't work well. I would like it to be more simple."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is securing the network. It has a deep learning intelligence ability to filter packages and traffic coming to networks and to different workstations in networks.

This solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The CLI, the console line interface, of the FTD could be improved. It's very complex, so without a GUI, it doesn't work well. I would like it to be more simple.

As far as additional features or next releases, I think the price could be cheaper.

We have been using this solution for more than eight years.

This product is stable.

This product is very scalable.

Cisco's technical support is very, very fast.

Before implementing Cisco, we used Fortigate and Check Point.

The installation is straightforward. You have to install the device, but if you want to actually manage it, you need a GUI for it. For deployment, you will need two engineers, maximum.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team and deployed it ourselves.

We pay for the IPS license to use this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product a nine out of ten, and would recommend this product to others who are considering using it.

Hozaifa Samad
Networking & Security Consultant at LayerZoom
Great all-in-one integration with valuable IPS function
  • "IPS is a valuable function, because they update the signatures all the time and it's very granular."
  • "The GUI user interface could be improved and the login is not very user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We replaced an ASA with Firepower managed by FMC with NGIPS, and we're also using it for advanced security, like anti-malware protection and IPS.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to have different solutions integrated together between Cisco and non-Cisco, or Cisco and a third party. We now have an all-in-one which is kind of nice.

What is most valuable?

I believe the IPS is a valuable function, because they update the signatures all the time and it's very granular. This is a good, stable solution and it's always up to date with all the security features.

What needs improvement?

I think the GUI user interface could be improved and the login is not very user friendly. They could maybe improve on that.

The stability is good, we haven't had any problems.

I think scalability is good although we only have a couple of people in our company that use it - the IT Manager and myself.

The technical support is very good. I've never had issues with Cisco support, they're the best.

The initial setup is straightforward, it took a few hours. As the consultant, I deployed the solution.

I'm not sure of the licensing costs, I know we have a three-year subscription.

What other advice do I have?

Compared with other solutions, this is very good.

I rate this product a nine out of 10.