Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Cisco IOS SSL VPN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco IOS SSL VPN is #3 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools and #9 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. PeerSpot users give Cisco IOS SSL VPN an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Cisco IOS SSL VPN is most commonly compared to Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client: Cisco IOS SSL VPN vs Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Cisco IOS SSL VPN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 17% of all views.

Download the SSL VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Cisco IOS SSL VPN?
Cisco SSL VPN solutions help you easily and securely extend the network to users who have access to the Internet and a web browser. You can customize access and extend the reach of your corporate network to individuals based on their roles, including teleworker contractors and business partners.

Cisco IOS SSL VPN was previously known as Cisco SSL VPN .

Cisco IOS SSL VPN Customers
MST Systems
Cisco IOS SSL VPN Video

Cisco IOS SSL VPN Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco IOS SSL VPN pricing:
"FortiGate does not charge the client a licensing fee, although Cisco charges clients a couple of dollars per year for each license."

Cisco IOS SSL VPN Reviews

Senior Network Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
MSP
An excellent brand with good support
  • "Cisco certainly has a really strong support team."
  • "In addition to Cisco, we work with other solutions on behalf of our customers, such as Fortinet for FortiGate, but this latter solution can achieve the same results at a lower price."

What is our primary use case?

We use the latest version. Even with us using the latest version, the 40, Cisco FirePOWER, is the new generation for ASA, with a set up SSL VPN, as well.

What is most valuable?

We consider Cisco to be one of the best brands in the network. Many people appreciate the good service of Cisco and we make much use of its router switches.

As there are many people who work with Cisco, this translates into the availability of more engineers to lend support.

What needs improvement?

In addition to Cisco, we work with other solutions on behalf of our customers, such as Fortinet for FortiGate, but this latter solution can achieve the same results at a lower price.

Other brands, such as Fortinet and even Juniper, do not charge a fee for the very good training they provide, but Cisco does.

Cisco should make itself available at a discount, if not for free.

I have been using Cisco IOS SSL VPN for more than 10 years.

SSL VPN
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Pulse Secure, Citrix and others in SSL VPN. Updated: September 2022.
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.

There are two types of VPN, one of which is SSL and is part of call remote access for users of laptops who wish to connect with the company network. This one is very popular.

The second we refer to as site-to-site VPN, which is used for connecting one seminar to another. It could involve the branch office connecting to the data center via the internet or one company connecting to another. This would require the setting up of an IP tunnel. We employ this widely, such as in a bank, or financial or government institution.

Cisco certainly has a really strong support team.

We are mainly talking about an enterprise level solution, so we do not do too much on the cloud, although I do make use of the new Palo Alto VPN cloud, also known as Prisma VPN.

There are not too many people involved in the deployment and maintenance. For example, in my previous company in the bank, we had around 80,000 employees. We support six VPN boxes, each capable of supporting this number times 5,000.

At the time, not everyone was in need of a VPN but, following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have doubled the capacities to accomodate more people.

As such, one can say that there are only a few people who comprise the support team, the number consisting of three or four. Not too many people are needed since it will not break easily.

We are talking about monitoring capacity and some regular maintenance, such as the OS upgrade. RMA is the prescribed response in the event of device failure. Not much is needed besides this and it is reflected in the size of the teams.

As there are many who are familiar with these solutions and use them, this translates into more engineers working on them, thus making it easy to get support.

Other brands, such as Fortinet and even Juniper, do not charge a fee for the very good training they provide, but Cisco does.

Cisco should make itself available at a discount, if not for free.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is a well known brand which provides good service and many people have familiarity with it, including businesses.

As Cisco IOS SSL VPN is a good solution, but comes with a cost that is higher than all others, I rate it as a nine out of ten.

Osvaldo Moderno - PeerSpot reviewer
Researcher at University of Sao Paulo
Simple to use, easy to install, and useful for working from home
  • "It is very simple to use, and it allows me to get into the university's network from my home, which is very useful for me."
  • "When many people are using the internet at home, which is usually right after dinner, this type of service is a little bit hard to use. The internet becomes quite slow, and sometimes, I have to stop using this application. I am not sure if this issue is because of the application or my internet provider."

What is our primary use case?

I am a researcher, and I am doing my master's in administration. To do the research on the web, I need to get into the database of some sites. As a researcher, to get the most content or see all of the content of the sites, I need to access these sites through my university's network. That's why I use this VPN. If I use my internet connection at home, I would have different access to the data.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows me to use and access the entire content of the site. I can access any kind of content from home for my research. Before the pandemic, I used to use the VPN in my house just at night, but now, I am only working from home, and I use it every day for eight to ten hours a day. It has allowed me to work from home.

What is most valuable?

It is very simple to use, and it allows me to get into the university's network from my home, which is very useful for me.

What needs improvement?

When many people are using the internet at home, which is usually right after dinner, this type of service is a little bit hard to use. The internet becomes quite slow, and sometimes, I have to stop using this application. I am not sure if this issue is because of the application or my internet provider.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

We have an internal IT support team. I contacted them just once in two years. They were very helpful and great. They are doing a great job. They have an internal site with all the information, which was very useful in resolving the issues on my own.

It is very easy to install. I used the information available on the university's site to get it working on my machine. It took 10 to 15 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I am completely satisfied with the solution. I would rate Cisco IOS SSL VPN an eight out of ten. It is a good solution.

SSL VPN
September 2022
635,987 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JohnTamakloe - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect at Ostec
A reliable solution with trustworthy service with quick setup
  • "The solution is very reliable."
  • "The flexibility of configurations could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

My company installs the solution for our customers so they can remotely connect to their networks. We have a staff of 70 technicians and provide end-to-end service from procurement to deployment.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very reliable. Most brands have the same SSL for their VPNs, but Cisco as an OEM and a service provider is very trustworthy.

What needs improvement?

The flexibility of configurations could be improved. Most companies are going to GUI which is comparatively easier to configure in other solutions.

I have been using the solution for seven years.

The solution is stable and I rate it a ten out of ten.

The solution is scalable. We provide our customers with provisions that cater to growth over five years. I rate scalability a ten out of ten.

Technical support is very good and helps no matter the task. I rate support a ten out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The setup is okay but not too easy. It all depends on who completes the setup and if they have familiarity with it. One technician can complete the setup for a small project in 10-25 minutes. For a complex project, it can take days to set up end-to-end.

I rate setup a six out of ten.

Our return on investment is solid. I rate it an eight out of ten.

We are a partner with Cisco and get some level of discount. I rate pricing an eight out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to understand the technology and know the product rather than focus on a specific concepts from a specific OEM. If you know the technology on a broader scope, it is easier to configure any OEM device.

I rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Takao Kobayashi - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Facilitates remote access and working from home, but the token software will no longer be supported
  • "It's a stable solution."
  • "The system needs to be upgraded to replace the Token Authentication software, which will no longer be supported."

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers. We provide remote access solutions, internet access, and Voice over IP for our customers, as well as IT operational support.

We use this solution to access their on-premises server from outside locations for situations such as working from home.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Cisco IOS SSL VPN for two years.

It's a stable solution. We are using the latest version.

I believe that this solution is scalable.

Some of the solutions that our customers are using are Microsoft 365, Cisco VPN Access, and Cisco AnyConnect with the physical USB Token to input the password.

The Token support will expire soon. Currently, we are researching similar solutions.

We are always researching new products to provide to our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I can't say that I would recommend this solution at this time because the support for the Token software is expiring soon and Cisco IOS SSL VPN would have to be upgraded to another solution similar to Token.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Bhalaji Kumar - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at Rakuten
Immediate deployment, excellent software, and highly stable
  • "I have found that Cisco IOS SSL VPN is stable."
  • "The company sets the policies for the default location, and destination, which the VPN connects. If there is a problem with one of those locations, which happens sometimes when I travel I need to have an option to select a different available location. Currently, I am unable to see that from a user's point of view."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for dialing into the corporate network.

What is most valuable?

I have found that it works well. I am able to connect it to the corporate network. I can also access it outside of my corporate network, so it does both.

What needs improvement?

The company sets the policies for the default location, and destination, which the VPN connects. If there is a problem with one of those locations, which happens sometimes when I travel I need to have an option to select a different available location. Currently, I am unable to see that from a user's point of view.

I have been using this virtual private network for the past six months.

I have found that Cisco IOS SSL VPN is stable.

Cisco IOS SSL VPN is scalable and we have more than one thousand users.

I have not had to use technical support.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward. They give you a link to download the application.  You download from the link and installation takes place immediately.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco IOS SSL VPN Is a good solution. They use an open SSL framework and VPN. The software is excellent. I would rate Cisco IOS SSL VPN a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Senior System Administrator at AB Mauri India Private Limited
Easy to use, scalable, and has great technical support
  • "It is a product that is very robust and durable."
  • "It would be nice if we could use this not just on mobile, but on laptops and desktops as well."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

It is a product that is very robust and durable.

The solution is stable.

The product has been scalable.

Technical support is great.

What needs improvement?

Only its mobile-based application is available right now. We cannot use it, for example, on laptops. That's the only drawback. It would be nice if we could use this not just on mobile, but on laptops and desktops as well.

I've been using the solution for the past six or seven months at this point. It hasn't quite been a year yet.

There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is very scalable. You can expand it if you need to.

I've found the technical support to be excellent. they are helpful and responsive. We are very satisfied with the level of attention we receive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been pretty happy with its capabilities.

Santosh Pallai - PeerSpot reviewer
SAP BPC Consultant at Tech Mahindra
It's easy to connect

What is our primary use case?

We work in financial reporting, so the reports are confidential, and we can't have direct access. We gain access to their system from here, and we work on that.

What is most valuable?

Cisco VPN is easy to connect.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the connection drops, and we don't like that. I'm not sure the reason, but sometimes it will take time to connect or it will disconnect fast.

I've been using Cisco VPN for close to five months.

Cisco VPN must be stable. Otherwise, we wouldn't have so many people on the solution.

We have close to 70,000 users.

Cisco support has been very helpful.

Setting up Cisco VPN is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco IOS SSL VPN eight out of 10. My advice is to be patient with anything new, and you'll get the best out of it. Once you gain complete knowledge of the solution, you'll love working on it.

Download our free SSL VPN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Pulse Secure, Citrix, and more!
Updated: September 2022