IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Barracuda Web Application Firewall OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Web Application Firewall is #7 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. PeerSpot users give Barracuda Web Application Firewall an average rating of 8 out of 10. Barracuda Web Application Firewall is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiWeb: Barracuda Web Application Firewall vs Fortinet FortiWeb. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Barracuda Web Application Firewall?

Barracuda Web Application Firewall is a game-changing cloud-connected security solution that enables organizations to safeguard both their applications and their data from an ever-growing array of advanced cyber threats. It offers protection from cyber attacks that target not only data and applications stored on the cloud but also those that are housed on web servers. 43% of the time a breach takes place via a compromised application. Barracuda Web Application Firewall prevents these types of breaches from occurring.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall denies hackers the ability to penetrate your system by using a number of techniques to keep your organization safely insulated. The first method of protection consists of two parts. The first part involves a thorough scanning of all inbound web traffic. This solution monitors everything that comes into the system. It employs IP reputation intelligence, which filters all incoming data. If the source of the data has a bad reputation, it is blocked by the firewall. Administrators now have a way of locking out many common threats that could otherwise compromise sensitive networks. These scans can also allow administrators to protect their systems from within as DLP (Data Loss Prevention) protocols. If any sensitive data attempts to leave, administrators will automatically be alerted and the data will be blocked from exiting.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall can also be set up to apply the AAA (Authentication, Authorization & Accounting) framework to an organization’s network. If an intruder manages to get past the authentication stage, the authorization protocols kick in. After the authorization stage comes accounting, which works by tracking and logging users’ activities so that administrators will be in a position to prevent long-term damage from being done. This three-step process can be implemented without requiring administrators to make changes to their applications.

Key Features

Some of Barracuda Web Application Firewall’s key features include:

• The ability to employ adaptive profiling. Administrators will have an easier time enforcing security policies once this feature is enabled. It takes data from safe sources and builds profiles that can be used to create whitelisting protocols that prevent unsafe actions from occurring on the system.
  • The ability to assess threats in real time. Barracuda Web Application Firewall uses machine learning to detect new threats and attacks as they emerge.
  • The ability to manage the Barracuda Web Application Firewall system from a single interface. Administrators can manage their Barracuda Web Application Firewall configurations from one centralized location.

Reviews from Real Users

Barracuda Web Application Firewall stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. One of the main ones is the robustness of the solution. Users are given access to a vast variety of security features in a single product.

PeerSpot user Muhammed S., a Presales Solutions Architect at Hilal Computers, notes this when he writes, "The solution offers multiple security features. There are machine learning features and great URL encryption. It also offers multi-protocol support against DDoS attacks."

Other reviewers note that Barracuda Web Application Firewall is user-friendly, easy to set up, stable, and reliable.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Customers

Oracle, CBS, Pioneer, Hyundai, Publix, Barnes Noble, Calzedonia, Nordstrom, Samsung, Nascar

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Video

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda Web Application Firewall pricing:
"They only offer a yearly licensing plan."

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Reviews

Chief Information Security Officer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable and stable with a straightforward setup
  • "The solution has been quite stable. It's reliable."
  • "The solution needs to leverage some additional features to a broader scale of software-defined networks."

What is our primary use case?

Typically these web application firewalls act as an additional layer primarily for traffic. The web application firewalls are more of a safeguard if a company still has legacy technologies, for which they don't have the patches. It's basically used for the protection and security of web applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution has been quite stable. It's reliable.

The initial setup is mostly straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I wouldn't say that the solution is flexible. The technology is moving towards having the firewall, which is distributed to each workload, rather than having a static firewall pertaining to a particular application or a cohort of applications. There are other solutions that are much more flexible in this regard. VMware, for example, gives good flexibility in this regard.

The solution needs to leverage some additional features to a broader scale of software-defined networks.

Given the distributed computing and decentralized architecture with people working in hybrid modules, there'll be lesser and lesser control. People would like to have, for example,  edge computing, et cetera, which is going to be the future for computing. Hence every organization would like to scale the design to the extent where they would like to have their defenses also go along with their workloads.

If, for an SDN, I need to go to VMware, and, for WAF, I need to go to Barracuda, or different other firewalls, the company is losing market share. They need to increase flexibility, agility, scaling, et cetera, as that is going to be the new normal, maybe in the next two to five years.

We've been using the solution for close to two years at this point.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I'm not sure about the scalability. I would need to explore it more. The most scalable products are likely VMware's NSX, as it is a company that's bit on cloud migration cloud transformation strategies. They'd like to ensure their workloads are safe and secure. I don't see this in traditional RAFs or even firewalls.

It's difficult to found how many users are on the solution at this time as we use multiple web application firewalls on different applications. It is not every application however, there would be certain applications that would have a WAF. Likely, it's around 10,000 users across applications.

We do plan to continue to use the solution into the future.

We haven't really had to engage with technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are in general.

We did use a different solution before switching to Barracuda. Typically, we run a POC first before moving onto anything new, which is what happened in this case.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. However, it does help to have some depth of knowledge with the solution.

I cannot recall the exact amount of time the deployment took.

While I don't have dedicated staff on the solution to handle maintenance, I have about six people on my team that can cover whatever needs to be done when something arises.

Licensing is something the procurement team takes care of. I don't have any insights in terms of the licensing agreement or costs that may be involved.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

Typically, we keep updating our infrastructure, and therefore, we are likely using the latest version of the solution, however, I do not have the version number on-hand.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

Overall, we've been quite satisfied with the capabilities of this product. I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

Sami Esber - PeerSpot reviewer
Cyber Security Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and scalable solution with a straightforward setup, good performance, and fast support response time
  • "Setup of this solution is straightforward. It's a stable and scalable solution, with good performance and fast technical support."
  • "The GUI needs to be improved because it sometimes hangs and needs to be restarted."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is being used as a requirement for architect reference.

What is most valuable?

The Barracuda Web Application Firewall is more than perfect. It's a near-optimal solution. It has good performance.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface (GUI) of this solution needs improvement. Sometimes it hangs, so you'll need to restart it.

We have a problem with the license because we are unable to migrate the license from a permanent license to a one-year license, or from a temporary license to a permanent license. This is a critical point because we need support from the Barracuda team for this, all the time. They can't change it successfully from their side.

When you start on the licensing, usually during the deployment, we give the customer a temporary license. You can create this token from the website, then when the customer buys the license, you need to upgrade the current license from a one month license to a permanent license for one year, two years, or three years, depending on the license.

Sometimes, when we are uploading from the old verification, e.g. from the old token to the new token, the VM hangs, and we'll need support from Barracuda's side: from the backend. Their  support team does it like this, and helps us from their side.

The firewall is a little bit complicated.

We've used this solution since last year.

The Barracuda Web Application Firewall is stable.

I find this solution scalable.

Technical support for this solution is acceptable. Sometimes the technical support takes longer because they could have a heavy load, or don't have much time to respond to all of the tickets at once, but that's normal.

The basic setup of this solution is straightforward, and it was nice for us.

What other advice do I have?

We're still using the Barracuda Web Application Firewall, but not as much as we used to. We were using it more last year. Usage of it has been reduced, and I don't know why. It's up to the customer, and not up to me. I cannot select for the customer. I cannot change what the customer desires.

I'm still working with this solution, but not as frequently as I did last year. We had a lot of projects dedicated to the Barracuda Web Application Firewall last year. Now, not all of our customers prefer this product, and I don't know why.

The Barracuda Web Application Firewall works on the VM (virtual machine) on Azure cloud. Usually, when you install this solution, the template will provide you the latest version of the Barracuda Plus. On the Azure cloud, we use the JSON template from GitHub.

I can't explain the use case in detail because I'm working with government entity, so it's classified information.

The Barracuda Firewall is a little bit different, when compared to other firewall related products. These products don't have the same interface, sequence, or process, but the Barracuda Firewall has its own character. I noticed this on the firewall, not the WAF.

The deployment and maintenance of this solution requires more than 10 people.

I'll tell people looking into implementing the Barracuda Web Application Firewall that it's one of the best products in the market, and I totally recommended it. Even their support is able to respond fast to our licensing issues.

I'm rating the Barracuda Web Application Firewall a nine out of ten. No solution can get a ten. This solution deserves between an eight and nine rating. I'm putting it as a nine.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Web Application Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
595,546 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Especialista en Informática at a maritime company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable with good security and a fairly straightforward setup
  • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward, especially if you enlist assistance."
  • "We've had some blocks of the application and some false positives."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is our WAF for Azure. It is for operation for Transit CAS applications.

What is most valuable?

We primarily use the solution for the protection of the active WAF. It offers quite good security.

The solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

We've had some blocks of the application and some false positives. Barracuda needs to ensure there are fewer false positives in general. There also needs to be less of a learning curve on the application in general. That might help us eliminate false positives as well. Basically, they need to help new users better learn and understand the solution.

I have an issue with the console currently. I cannot access the console from inside the network. When I access the entire network, it kicks me off all the time. I opened a case with technical support. We've checked the firewall the perimeter firewall, and we've tried to fix that problem, however, it's still the problem. I have to access the console from outside all the time to this day.

I've been using the solution for a while now. It's been about five years.

The stability is okay. We don't have issues with the reliability of Barracuda. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze at all. I'd describe it as stable for the most part.

The scalability may be okay. However, we have only one Barracuda gateway. We don't really need to scale the solution fight now.

We might have about 500 users within our company using the solution right now.

I've reached out to technical support in relation to a console problem and they have yet to fix the issue for us. All they've done is told me to check the firewall, which I have, and to install a new version. I upgraded the version, however, the issue persists. They haven't been extremely helpful and I'd have to say that I am disappointed with their level of service so far.

Overall, I would rate the support at an eight out of ten.

We also use Imperva. We use both solutions at once.

I'm not the administrator of the installation process. Therefore, it's hard for me to say if it was difficult or complex. I can't really comment on the initial implementation.

That said, it's my understanding, from talking to the administrator in the past, that it wasn't too complex.

I'm not sure how long the deployment took. I only really deployed the last application protection.

We had the support of the partner for the implementation, which helped iron out any difficulties.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a transportation company. We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Barracuda.

I recommend the solution to other organizations for protecting applications specifically in Azure.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

SolomonAwosina - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at GCET
Reseller
Fantastic backend support and is easy to deploy
  • "The stability of the solution is good. I don't think we've experienced bugs, crashes, or glitches."
  • "The reporting aspect of the solution needs improvement. I don't find that it's very good. They could do some work on it to make it much better. It's not that the reporting isn't secure. It's just that I would prefer to store my reports for an extended period of time. Right now, that's not possible and I'd prefer it if that could change. I also would say that the reports themselves are expensive."

What is most valuable?

One of the best aspects of the solution is the support provided. Their backend support is fantastic. I've found it's superior to other products, including Cisco. The way the support team treats its customers is great. They really walk you through everything and show you how easy it is to mend issues.

I find the solution to be easy to deploy. You don't need too much technical skill, so you don't need an expert level of understanding.

What needs improvement?

The reporting aspect of the solution needs improvement. I don't find that it's very good. They could do some work on it to make it much better. It's not that the reporting isn't secure. It's just that I would prefer to store my reports for an extended period of time. Right now, that's not possible and I'd prefer it if that could change. I also would say that the reports themselves are expensive.

I've been using the solution since 2009. It's been just over ten years now.

Scalability with the solution is good. It just requires more licenses, like every other product. If you only apply for the environment, it's scalable with the licenses you have. If you're on the physical appliance, you just have to scale it up by pressing the appliance. It probably won't be just deployed on Azure, because we would need to add more licenses.

We've been adding to our system for a while ago, and we haven't run into any issues with continuing to scale.

The technical support offered by Barracuda is excellent. It's one of the greatest selling points of the solution, They are very supportive and help answer any questions we have.

I have previous experience using Cisco.

The solution doesn't require a user to be too technical. I would say the initial setup is very straightforward. The deployment is easy. It's not what I would call complex in any way.

Overall, I would say that I'm satisfied with the pricing. It's got a good range of pricing, and the cost matches the quality level you get out of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I used to be a customer before, however, now I am partners with Barracuda.

We use both on-premises and public cloud deployment models.

Overall, I'd give the solution a nine out of ten. I'd give it full marks, but it does have issues on the reporting side. The reports are a lot more expensive, even more so than the work itself. That's why I did not give it a 10.

That said, I would recommend Barracuda Firewalls to anybody, any day of the week. They're fantastic.

Engineer at a government
Great technical support, good stability, and offers reasonable pricing
  • "Even when we were upgrading to a new OS, we didn't have any difficulties with the product. The stability is good."
  • "While the UI is good, it can get a little bit complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for security purposes. We use it as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The interface is great. It's one of the most valuable aspects of the solution.

The visibility we are able to achieve is quite good.

The traffic monitoring is very helpful and the URL filtering has been excellent.

We have found that the technical support is very good.

The pricing of the product isn't overly expensive.

What needs improvement?

While the UI is good, it can get a little bit complicated. It's not like Next-Gen Firewalls. I need to remember all of the tabs. The sub-tabs should be at the right as they are in the Next-Gen. Mostly, Next-Gen firewalls have everything on the left panel and it will reappear. It would be nice if there was a little more consistency.

I only really have one year of experience with the solution. Therefore, it's hard to discuss missing features. I need more time to explore the product first.

I have been using the solution for one year.

We haven't had any issues with the stability or the performance, even when switching to a new OS. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

While the solution may be scalable, I don't have enough background to really comment. I haven't been involved in scaling.

Technical support is quite good. That's the main reason everyone is shifting to Barracuda.

It's from India. I'm in the Middle East. Even though the product is from the UAE, the Middle East, the support is from India. They have good engineers that are well-trained. That said, if you need an L3 issue resolved, those engineers are from other regions. Typically an Indian tech will communicate with the other region directly. The support in the case of L3s likely comes from Europe. In any case, everyone is very helpful and responsive, and we are satisfied with the level of support.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's easy enough to execute. That said, the burden has to be getting a bit of the knowledge in regards to routing. That's a tricky area. However, it's pretty much the same as a Next-Gen Firewall configuration.

The pricing is okay, however, there are a few other competitors that are a little bit lower. It's still reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user and a customer.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Sometimes the solution can be tricky around filtering, which is why I don't give it perfect marks.

Muhammed-Shafi - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales Solutions Architect at Hilal Computers
Good technical support and security features but needs better documentation
  • "The solution offers multiple security features. There are machine learning features and great URL encryption. It also offers multi-protocol support against DDoS attacks."
  • "The documentation is lacking. It's not like what you'd get if you were using Juniper or Cisco. They need to expand on it and make it more useful."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to secure most data centers. We also use it for mobile apps for malicious automated attacks.

What is most valuable?

The API security they offer is quite good.

The technical support on offer is very good.

There's multiple application delivery which is impressive.

What needs improvement?

The deployment isn't very user-friendly.

There are a lot of up and coming competitors in the space, and there's always new technology coming out. The solution needs to make sure that it keeps up with what's going on in the industry to make sure they don't get left behind.

I've been using the solution for almost four and a half years.

The stability of the solution is good. It's pretty reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's good.

The scalability has been fine. It's been quite good for us. We don't have complaints in that regard.

We've always been pretty happy with technical support. We find them helpful and knowledgable.

I also work with Fortinet solutions and I find that sometimes they can be limiting and have their own set of difficulties.

The initial setup is okay, however, it's not particularly user-friendly. I wouldn't describe it as complex. It's more difficult.

We are system integrators. We can handle implementations.

The pricing is okay. Unlike other competitors, you are able to negotiate a little bit, which can help drive down the cost to the company.

What other advice do I have?

We're a solution partner, an integrator. We have partnership-level agreements with the solution.

We have multiple deployment models. We use it on-premises as well as on the cloud using both Amazon Web Services and Azure.

Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It would be hard for any product to rate a ten out of ten for me. However, to get a bit of a higher mark, it should offer better documentation and be more user-friendly, particularly where deployment is concerned. I'd still recommend Barracuda, though. It's pretty solid.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Wealie Antar - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager, Systems, Information Technology at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's easy to set up but they should improve their performance, support, and their upgrades
  • "You don't need help from Barracuda to help with the deployment. The deployment is easy."
  • "They could improve their performance, support, and their upgrades. Their updates used to be good. Their improvements were right on the money but nowadays, the updates are minor."

What needs improvement?

I don't really like the product. They restricted the number of servers we can protect. They restrict how many servers you can protect based on appliance.

They also don't support additional ATP. Customers also want ATP. They want something extra apart from the basic security package.

Their appliances are very cheap. The quality is not that good. Their appliances should be more robust.

I have been using this solution for a year.

The backend server capability is low. It's risky to put extra servers behind it because it may or may not protect it. The workload is not that high.

It has worked fine until now. We have some projects that are overloaded. In the next phase, I will remove some servers and add one or two servers from our project team.

I have not tested out the scalability.

The software is running 24/7.

I am not satisfied with the support. It used to be better.

You don't need help from Barracuda to help with the deployment. The deployment is easy. We deployed them all by ourselves. It took some research through the manuals and documentation to find the best way to deploy for your infrastructure. The research took two to three days and then it took another two to three days to install it. By 7-8 days we were ready to do a soft launch. We did the rest within a month.

We only needed one team member to deploy it. I worked alongside him so that I could also understand it.

There are costs in addition to the standard licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a five out of ten.

My advice would be to explore the market. There are many good players. If a solution is on the higher side, it could be a better investment.

Presales Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Easy to deploy and has very good technical support
  • "Some of the most valuable features are the ease of deployment, the Barracuda support, the easy-to-use console, and the granularity of the reports."
  • "Barracuda Web Application Firewall's load balancing feature could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is protection of applications. If you have applications, for instance, in Azure, and you want to protect them, you can use Barracuda Web Application Firewall, and you have any input data available. This is one of the best use cases.

For this solution, we have both cloud-based and VM for Azure.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Barracuda Web Application Firewall's load balancing feature could be improved.

I have been using Barracuda Web Application Firewall for four years.

In our organization, there are around 1,200 to 1,800 users of this solution.

I would rate Barracuda's technical support a nine and a half out of ten. The technical support is very good.

The installation is straightforward. There are no hidden challenges or anything. Anybody can do it with the installation guide.

One engineer is more than enough to handle maintenance.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

They only offer a yearly licensing plan.

There are dedicated web application firewalls like Imperva that allow for enterprise level firewall web apps. The main competitors are FortiWeb and Cloudflare.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Barracuda Web Application Firewall an eight out of ten. Everything—support, efficiency, the tax rate—comes into the picture. I would recommend this solution to others who want to start using it.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Barracuda Web Application Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.