Barracuda Web Application Firewall OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda Web Application Firewall is the #8 ranked solution in top Web Application Firewalls. PeerSpot users give Barracuda Web Application Firewall an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Barracuda Web Application Firewall is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiWeb: Barracuda Web Application Firewall vs Fortinet FortiWeb. Barracuda Web Application Firewall is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 60% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Barracuda Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide

Download the Barracuda Web Application Firewall Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Barracuda Web Application Firewall?

Barracuda Web Application Firewall is a game-changing cloud-connected security solution that enables organizations to safeguard both their applications and their data from an ever-growing array of advanced cyber threats. It offers protection from cyber attacks that target not only data and applications stored on the cloud but also those that are housed on web servers. 43% of the time a breach takes place via a compromised application. Barracuda Web Application Firewall prevents these types of breaches from occurring.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall denies hackers the ability to penetrate your system by using a number of techniques to keep your organization safely insulated. The first method of protection consists of two parts. The first part involves a thorough scanning of all inbound web traffic. This solution monitors everything that comes into the system. It employs IP reputation intelligence, which filters all incoming data. If the source of the data has a bad reputation, it is blocked by the firewall. Administrators now have a way of locking out many common threats that could otherwise compromise sensitive networks. These scans can also allow administrators to protect their systems from within as DLP (Data Loss Prevention) protocols. If any sensitive data attempts to leave, administrators will automatically be alerted and the data will be blocked from exiting.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall can also be set up to apply the AAA (Authentication, Authorization & Accounting) framework to an organization’s network. If an intruder manages to get past the authentication stage, the authorization protocols kick in. After the authorization stage comes accounting, which works by tracking and logging users’ activities so that administrators will be in a position to prevent long-term damage from being done. This three-step process can be implemented without requiring administrators to make changes to their applications.

Key Features

Some of Barracuda Web Application Firewall’s key features include:

• The ability to employ adaptive profiling. Administrators will have an easier time enforcing security policies once this feature is enabled. It takes data from safe sources and builds profiles that can be used to create whitelisting protocols that prevent unsafe actions from occurring on the system.
  • The ability to assess threats in real time. Barracuda Web Application Firewall uses machine learning to detect new threats and attacks as they emerge.
  • The ability to manage the Barracuda Web Application Firewall system from a single interface. Administrators can manage their Barracuda Web Application Firewall configurations from one centralized location.

Reviews from Real Users

Barracuda Web Application Firewall stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. One of the main ones is the robustness of the solution. Users are given access to a vast variety of security features in a single product.

PeerSpot user Muhammed S., a Presales Solutions Architect at Hilal Computers, notes this when he writes, "The solution offers multiple security features. There are machine learning features and great URL encryption. It also offers multi-protocol support against DDoS attacks."

Other reviewers note that Barracuda Web Application Firewall is user-friendly, easy to set up, stable, and reliable.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Customers

Oracle, CBS, Pioneer, Hyundai, Publix, Barnes Noble, Calzedonia, Nordstrom, Samsung, Nascar

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Video

Barracuda Web Application Firewall Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda Web Application Firewall pricing:
  • "The solution is based on a licensing model and might be $360 for the hybrid version."
  • "They only offer a yearly licensing plan."
  • "While I would have to check on the price of the solution, I feel it to be okay and it matches the market price."
  • Barracuda Web Application Firewall Reviews

Chief Information Security Officer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable and stable with a straightforward setup
    • "The solution has been quite stable. It's reliable."
    • "The solution needs to leverage some additional features to a broader scale of software-defined networks."

What is our primary use case?

Typically these web application firewalls act as an additional layer primarily for traffic. The web application firewalls are more of a safeguard if a company still has legacy technologies, for which they don't have the patches. It's basically used for the protection and security of web applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution has been quite stable. It's reliable.

The initial setup is mostly straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I wouldn't say that the solution is flexible. The technology is moving towards having the firewall, which is distributed to each workload, rather than having a static firewall pertaining to a particular application or a cohort of applications. There are other solutions that are much more flexible in this regard. VMware, for example, gives good flexibility in this regard.

The solution needs to leverage some additional features to a broader scale of software-defined networks.

Given the distributed computing and decentralized architecture with people working in hybrid modules, there'll be lesser and lesser control. People would like to have, for example,  edge computing, et cetera, which is going to be the future for computing. Hence every organization would like to scale the design to the extent where they would like to have their defenses also go along with their workloads.

If, for an SDN, I need to go to VMware, and, for WAF, I need to go to Barracuda, or different other firewalls, the company is losing market share. They need to increase flexibility, agility, scaling, et cetera, as that is going to be the new normal, maybe in the next two to five years.

We've been using the solution for close to two years at this point.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Barracuda Web Application Firewall. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I'm not sure about the scalability. I would need to explore it more. The most scalable products are likely VMware's NSX, as it is a company that's bit on cloud migration cloud transformation strategies. They'd like to ensure their workloads are safe and secure. I don't see this in traditional RAFs or even firewalls.

It's difficult to found how many users are on the solution at this time as we use multiple web application firewalls on different applications. It is not every application however, there would be certain applications that would have a WAF. Likely, it's around 10,000 users across applications.

We do plan to continue to use the solution into the future.

We haven't really had to engage with technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are in general.

We did use a different solution before switching to Barracuda. Typically, we run a POC first before moving onto anything new, which is what happened in this case.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. However, it does help to have some depth of knowledge with the solution.

I cannot recall the exact amount of time the deployment took.

While I don't have dedicated staff on the solution to handle maintenance, I have about six people on my team that can cover whatever needs to be done when something arises.

Licensing is something the procurement team takes care of. I don't have any insights in terms of the licensing agreement or costs that may be involved.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

Typically, we keep updating our infrastructure, and therefore, we are likely using the latest version of the solution, however, I do not have the version number on-hand.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

Overall, we've been quite satisfied with the capabilities of this product. I would rate it at an eight out of ten.

Manager at Inspira Enterprise
    Easy to set up and use, stable, and has no scalability issues, but its attack identification capability and technical support need to be improved
    • "What I like most about Barracuda Web Application Firewall is its availability. I also like that it's an easy-to-use solution."
    • "An area for improvement in Barracuda Web Application Firewall is attack identification. Other banks identified attacks and tracked logs that the solution wasn't able to identify because of its ready-made rules pre-deployed by the vendor. My organization raised this issue with the technical support team. Another area to improve in Barracuda Web Application Firewall is its service desk. The team resorted to stonewalling because they couldn't accept that a feature was missing in the solution, and it was only after a lot of drilling down that the service desk team accepted that, and would be adding that feature in the future. My organization had to submit a report to the Reserve Bank of India with information on the logs identified and the attacks that happened, and that there was a failure on the part of the Barracuda Web Application Firewall. The Reserve Bank of India conducts a tri-monthly cyber risk audit in all Indian banks. Even smaller banks identified and caught attacks that my organization wasn't able to do, so I was looking into other solutions that competitor banks could be using because Barracuda Web Application Firewall failed to identify some of the attacks."

What is our primary use case?

We used Barracuda Web Application Firewall to protect the banking system. There were cyber drills where we had to find some logs, share those logs, and identify the attacks.

What needs improvement?

I've used Barracuda Web Application Firewall for six months in the past year.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall is a stable product.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall is a scalable product. Scaling it up isn't an issue.

I wasn't happy with the technical support for Barracuda Web Application Firewall, particularly because of the intentional stonewalling by the team. The support team should accept if a threat wasn't caught by the solution. Support should accept that there's a problem in Barracuda Web Application Firewall and improve or fix that problem. My organization had to do a lot of drilling down before the technical support team accepted that the solution was lacking, and that was frustrating.

My rating for the Barracuda Web Application Firewall technical support team is a two out of five.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall was easy to set up. It's a physical appliance, and I only needed one engineer to do the setup. My support engineer set the product up remotely, and it wasn't difficult.

I don't remember how long the deployment took for Barracuda Web Application Firewall because it was done by one of my engineers, but the solution was easy to deploy.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall was implemented by a support engineer from my organization.

What other advice do I have?

I don't remember which version of Barracuda Web Application Firewall I used, but it was the latest at the time.

My organization has a few people using Barracuda Web Application Firewall. Only four or five people use the product.

What I would tell people to do before using Barracuda Web Application Firewall is to first have a POC with different vendors and solutions and even use one or more open source firewalls and WAFs before making a decision. You have to first do a lot of research before installing Barracuda Web Application Firewall because even some open source WAFs can identify some attacks that Barracuda isn't able to identify.

My rating for Barracuda Web Application Firewall is six out of ten.

I'm a product user and not a reseller or partner of Barracuda Web Application Firewall.

Barracuda Web Application Firewall
    December 2022
    655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Sami Esber - PeerSpot reviewer
    Cyber Security Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable and scalable solution with a straightforward setup, good performance, and fast support response time
    • "Setup of this solution is straightforward. It's a stable and scalable solution, with good performance and fast technical support."
    • "The GUI needs to be improved because it sometimes hangs and needs to be restarted."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is being used as a requirement for architect reference.

What is most valuable?

The Barracuda Web Application Firewall is more than perfect. It's a near-optimal solution. It has good performance.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user interface (GUI) of this solution needs improvement. Sometimes it hangs, so you'll need to restart it.

We have a problem with the license because we are unable to migrate the license from a permanent license to a one-year license, or from a temporary license to a permanent license. This is a critical point because we need support from the Barracuda team for this, all the time. They can't change it successfully from their side.

When you start on the licensing, usually during the deployment, we give the customer a temporary license. You can create this token from the website, then when the customer buys the license, you need to upgrade the current license from a one month license to a permanent license for one year, two years, or three years, depending on the license.

Sometimes, when we are uploading from the old verification, e.g. from the old token to the new token, the VM hangs, and we'll need support from Barracuda's side: from the backend. Their  support team does it like this, and helps us from their side.

The firewall is a little bit complicated.

We've used this solution since last year.

The Barracuda Web Application Firewall is stable.

I find this solution scalable.

Technical support for this solution is acceptable. Sometimes the technical support takes longer because they could have a heavy load, or don't have much time to respond to all of the tickets at once, but that's normal.

The basic setup of this solution is straightforward, and it was nice for us.

What other advice do I have?

We're still using the Barracuda Web Application Firewall, but not as much as we used to. We were using it more last year. Usage of it has been reduced, and I don't know why. It's up to the customer, and not up to me. I cannot select for the customer. I cannot change what the customer desires.

I'm still working with this solution, but not as frequently as I did last year. We had a lot of projects dedicated to the Barracuda Web Application Firewall last year. Now, not all of our customers prefer this product, and I don't know why.

The Barracuda Web Application Firewall works on the VM (virtual machine) on Azure cloud. Usually, when you install this solution, the template will provide you the latest version of the Barracuda Plus. On the Azure cloud, we use the JSON template from GitHub.

I can't explain the use case in detail because I'm working with government entity, so it's classified information.

The Barracuda Firewall is a little bit different, when compared to other firewall related products. These products don't have the same interface, sequence, or process, but the Barracuda Firewall has its own character. I noticed this on the firewall, not the WAF.

The deployment and maintenance of this solution requires more than 10 people.

I'll tell people looking into implementing the Barracuda Web Application Firewall that it's one of the best products in the market, and I totally recommended it. Even their support is able to respond fast to our licensing issues.

I'm rating the Barracuda Web Application Firewall a nine out of ten. No solution can get a ten. This solution deserves between an eight and nine rating. I'm putting it as a nine.

Microsoft Azure
    Network Security and Infrastructure Engineer at LDC
    Good security for layer seven but repeat issues with appliance failures and system crashes
    • "The solution ensures layer seven is secure from attacks."
    • "There are issues when upgrading firewalls and we experience different issues across customers."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution to provide customers with a proxy service that secures transcriptions as part of a seven-layer process. We currently provide this service to twenty customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution ensures layer seven is secure from attacks.

The scripting is good.

What needs improvement?

Layer four could be more secure like layer seven to prevent HTTP and HTTPS attacks.

There are issues when upgrading firewalls and we experience different issues across customers. The communication metrics, ports, traffic, source, destination, and service must be enabled to upgrade firmware but there is no documentation or article for opening the communication matrix to upgrade smoothly.

STM crashes are a repeat issue and they wipe out appliances. Each time, we have to open a ticket with support and get Apache to fix the issue. It is unclear why appliances have issues or fail and need to be recovered with Apache.

Firmware upgrades cause automatic configuration changes without providing notifications. Configurations such as ports should not be changed automatically because they negatively affect customers. One customer's configuration issue was within the third layer and took seven days to solve. Support mitigation and work describes policies created automatically after upgrading firewalls but we already created and want to retain our own policies.

I have been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable but ongoing issues with appliance failures, system crashes, and upgrading firmware affect its smooth operation.

I opened a support ticket for resolving issues when upgrading firewalls. Support could not get to the issue and did not inform me to check traffic on the firewall. It is important to determine what is plugged in when a parameter is trying to communicate outside to download and upgrade firmware to the latest version. The issue was ongoing for three months until I accidently detected it myself.

Tickets are not solved in one day and sometimes I have to close tickets without any solution from support. Only tickets at the second or third escalation level receive support.

The setup is straightforward and installation can be finished in one day.

We implement the solution for customers.

We have to migrate to another vendor because the solution no longer supports issues with the stack hub.

We are a partner with Barracuda so recommend the application firewall to our customers but we now have thirteen customers who use Azure stack hub and cannot receive support. We communicated this issue with Barracuda's Middle East management and they suggested using a container as a service. We tried this in our lab but had issues with the installation which we finally resolved. We have some concerns about data being exposed because it is in the cloud. Our customers are administrators and will not accept their data being exposed.

We would rather work with Barracuda because we have experience with their application firewalls and that makes it easier to support customers. We will have to go to another vendor and take classes to become experts.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
    Engineer at a government
    Great technical support, good stability, and offers reasonable pricing
    • "Even when we were upgrading to a new OS, we didn't have any difficulties with the product. The stability is good."
    • "While the UI is good, it can get a little bit complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for security purposes. We use it as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The interface is great. It's one of the most valuable aspects of the solution.

The visibility we are able to achieve is quite good.

The traffic monitoring is very helpful and the URL filtering has been excellent.

We have found that the technical support is very good.

The pricing of the product isn't overly expensive.

What needs improvement?

While the UI is good, it can get a little bit complicated. It's not like Next-Gen Firewalls. I need to remember all of the tabs. The sub-tabs should be at the right as they are in the Next-Gen. Mostly, Next-Gen firewalls have everything on the left panel and it will reappear. It would be nice if there was a little more consistency.

I only really have one year of experience with the solution. Therefore, it's hard to discuss missing features. I need more time to explore the product first.

I have been using the solution for one year.

We haven't had any issues with the stability or the performance, even when switching to a new OS. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

While the solution may be scalable, I don't have enough background to really comment. I haven't been involved in scaling.

Technical support is quite good. That's the main reason everyone is shifting to Barracuda.

It's from India. I'm in the Middle East. Even though the product is from the UAE, the Middle East, the support is from India. They have good engineers that are well-trained. That said, if you need an L3 issue resolved, those engineers are from other regions. Typically an Indian tech will communicate with the other region directly. The support in the case of L3s likely comes from Europe. In any case, everyone is very helpful and responsive, and we are satisfied with the level of support.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's easy enough to execute. That said, the burden has to be getting a bit of the knowledge in regards to routing. That's a tricky area. However, it's pretty much the same as a Next-Gen Firewall configuration.

The pricing is okay, however, there are a few other competitors that are a little bit lower. It's still reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user and a customer.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Sometimes the solution can be tricky around filtering, which is why I don't give it perfect marks.

VijayKumar8 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network Security Engineer at Progressive Infotech Pvt. Ltd.
    Easy to use, implement, and deploy
    • "It is stable and the performance is good."
    • "They should improve their features, so they easily compare to the competition."

What is our primary use case?

We have a customer that is using Barracuda WAF, and we are the partner, the vendor. We are providing the MSP to the customer and managing their WAF and infrastructure over the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Barracuda WAF is very good product. It is very responsive, and, feature-wise, it's very good and easy to use.

You can easily deploy any kind of service.

The technical support is also good. I'm very satisfied.

It is stable and the performance is good.

The product is scalable.

It's easy to install.

They offer good reporting.

What needs improvement?

The Barracuda team just needs to improve their product as per their competitors, like F5 and Imperva. They should improve their features, so they easily compare to the competition.

They could always continue to improve their security so that they maintain up-to-date on any current threats.

I've been using the solution for three to four years.

The solution has been stable. I haven't encountered bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution scales quite well.

Technical support has been very helpful and responsive.

I'm also aware of F5 and Imperva, and they both have very good feature sets.

I've never worked with F5, however, I've heard F5 has more features than Barracuda WAF.

Some customers are using AWS WAF and Azure WAF.

The initial setup is very easy. It will take only a few minutes to install Barracuda WAF if you just implement your services and the URL. After that, you can begin using it.

The pricing depends on the customer. For example, if any customer is using Barracuda WAF and they are comparing it with the AWS WAF, AWS WAF is still a little bit more expensive than Barracuda WAF. And yet, Barracuda WAF has a lot of features that AWS doesn't have. Therefore, the pricing is quite good.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Barracuda partner.

WAF is new in the industry. It is very easy to use, implement, and deploy, and you can handle your daily operations very easily. Even the troubleshooting part is simple.

I'd recommend the solution. If you ever run into issues, it's very easy to contact support and get the help you need. Plus, it is very easy to learn. They have a Barracuda Campus where you can go and get tutorials. All of the videos and documentation you need for any product are right there for you.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Anuraj Nair - PeerSpot reviewer
    Presales Engineer at SNSIN
    Easy to deploy and has very good technical support
    • "Some of the most valuable features are the ease of deployment, the Barracuda support, the easy-to-use console, and the granularity of the reports."
    • "Barracuda Web Application Firewall's load balancing feature could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is protection of applications. If you have applications, for instance, in Azure, and you want to protect them, you can use Barracuda Web Application Firewall, and you have any input data available. This is one of the best use cases.

For this solution, we have both cloud-based and VM for Azure.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Barracuda Web Application Firewall's load balancing feature could be improved.

I have been using Barracuda Web Application Firewall for four years.

In our organization, there are around 1,200 to 1,800 users of this solution.

I would rate Barracuda's technical support a nine and a half out of ten. The technical support is very good.

The installation is straightforward. There are no hidden challenges or anything. Anybody can do it with the installation guide.

One engineer is more than enough to handle maintenance.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

They only offer a yearly licensing plan.

There are dedicated web application firewalls like Imperva that allow for enterprise level firewall web apps. The main competitors are FortiWeb and Cloudflare.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Barracuda Web Application Firewall an eight out of ten. Everything—support, efficiency, the tax rate—comes into the picture. I would recommend this solution to others who want to start using it.

Microsoft Azure
    Manager Information Technology at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    A solution which offers simplicity and is scalable, stable, easy to install and offers good technical support
    • "Our customers value the solution's simplicity."
    • "It would be better if their updates would be released annually."

What is most valuable?

Our customers value the solution's simplicity.

What needs improvement?

Occasionally, upon installation of the Energize Updates, the plans will go off track, something which necessitates us calling up their support team for another update.

The frequency of the release of the updates is also an issue. In the production environment, Firmware cannot be frequently updated. It would be better if their updates would be released annually.

We have been dealing with Barracuda Web Application Firewall for more than four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Our experience with technical support has been very positive.

The initial setup is easy.

While I would have to check on the price of the solution, I feel it to be okay and it matches the market price.

F5, Imperva and RedBear are the main competitors of Barracuda in our area.

I do not know if they possess certain features which Barracuda Web Application Firewall lacks. I would have to check.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to someone looking for a new web application firewall.

I rate Barracuda Web Application Firewall as an eight out of ten. I do not give the product a higher rating because there are other solutions in Sri Lanka of which the vendors are aware through the Gartner Reports. I believe the solution is not not counted amongst the Gartner leader Quadrant.

Download our free Barracuda Web Application Firewall Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022