Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Barracuda SSL VPN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Barracuda SSL VPN is #7 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools and #15 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. PeerSpot users give Barracuda SSL VPN an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Barracuda SSL VPN is most commonly compared to OpenVPN Access Server: Barracuda SSL VPN vs OpenVPN Access Server. Barracuda SSL VPN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 52% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the SSL VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Barracuda SSL VPN?

Your army of road warriors and remote workers require a quick, flexible, reliable and completely secure way to connect to your internal enterprise applications, information and network resources. They want to do this from anywhere in the world, at any time and from any suitable device. The Barracuda SSL VPN provides the security and connectivity to deliver this access, via a web browser or virtually any mobile device.

Barracuda SSL VPN Video

Barracuda SSL VPN Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Barracuda SSL VPN pricing:
"The product is affordable and reasonably priced so it would make a lot of sense for people to use it long-term."

Barracuda SSL VPN Reviews

Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reasonably priced and has a hassle-free setup
  • "The setup is straightforward and hassle-free."
  • "Barracuda should find other ways to stir up interest about this product."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use it as a Web Application Firewall (WAF).

What is most valuable?

What I find most valuable is the total cost of ownership. The product is affordable and reasonably priced so it would make a lot of sense for people to use it long-term.

What needs improvement?

Barracuda has a much more proactive role with their so-called authorized distributors here in Cambodia. They give them much more attention and much more exposure. They give teasers about some of the new features coming up within the next one or two quarters, and so they can start to prepare for them. The reseller can educate the end-users. It kills the competition.

F5 wants to compete with Barracuda. It’s a price-sensitive market. IT managers have barely 10 years of IT experience. They know almost nothing. It's a problem here. It's a very uphill task to really educate these guys. But we can do our best to try to find other ways and means to stir up their interest for the future about products.

I find that its stability also meets industry standards.

SSL VPN
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Barracuda Networks, SonicWall, Cisco and others in SSL VPN. Updated: September 2022.
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The scalability of this solution based on customer requirement or volume requirement meets industry standards.

We haven't had the chance to contact Barracuda's technical support because we have our own Barracuda certified technical team who provides first level support which includes installation, configuration, setup, and implementation.

I've used F5 and cost-wise, there is no major difference between the cost of the F5 and the cost of the Barracuda. For example, if there is going to be an additional SSL VPN resource added on, then we have to buy additional licenses from the vendor.

The cost does vary a lot. There's the maintenance cost, the software subscription cost, and the hardware maintenance cost annually.

I don't do the sales, but with the feedback I get from customers, the F5 tends to be a bit more expensive than the Barracuda.

According to my technical team, who are actually certified Barracuda guys, they told me that the initial setup is pretty straightforward. It’s not much of a hassle.

We implemented it in-house through our Barracuda certified technical team.

My advice to others implementing this product is to ensure that its cost falls within their budget including the cost of maintenance and that it benefits their business operations.

I evaluated F5.

What other advice do I have?

I'll give it a rating of eight out of 10 if the price remains the same. Otherwise, I'll rate it 7 out of ten, especially if they don't give a volume discount.

Manager of Infrastructure and Security Services at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Can narrow down the session to one application on one server
  • "The most valuable feature would be that you can actually narrow down your session to one application on one server, which is really nice."
  • "Since it's not going to be getting any more software updates as per the end of this year, we have to move off to a different product.."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is just for IT staff. When the front end stuff goes down, we have a secure solution through which we can come in through the back and fix the front end facing stuff.

What is most valuable?

It is a stable solution.

It is really easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

Since it's not going to be getting any more software updates as per the end of this year, we have to move off to a different product. They could recontinue the product so that we can keep using it.

I've been using Barracuda SSL VPN for over five years.

Stability wise, it's rock solid. The discontinuation has not affected the stability.

You can scale up or even scale down. It's pretty easy to set up based on groups and roles; it's quite nice. We have infrastructure administrators, security administrators, and VDI administrators who use this solution.

We used the Microsoft one until they made it too complex. So, it was just easier to buy an appliance, and Barracuda was the easiest one to install and set up. It was also way more granular.

The initial setup was really easy. Only one person is required to maintain the solution.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Barracuda SSL VPN a good solid eight.