IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Iven Chung - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Architect Specialist at Scotiabank
Enables us to very quickly figure out issues, whether they're with a workstation or a particular application
  • "Other features we use heavily are the WiFi analyzer, the Skype for Business analyzer, and the troubleshooting functionalities. We also use the Device Health quite religiously here for troubleshooting devices that are unhealthy, when we're talking about things like high CPU or memory consumption, or file system problems within the users' workstations."
  • "When it comes to a lot of the features that I would want, they will tell you they are in their SaaS version, which we don't use... They put all the new features on the SaaS solution and that's where you get the latest and greatest stuff... Why not have those features available for on-prem users?"

What is our primary use case?

We have many use cases for Aternity, but the key ones are that we use it to validate and deploy. One of our big initiatives was converting all of our users within the bank to Office 365. Aternity was heavily used for validation and performance monitoring of the Office 365 project.

How has it helped my organization?

We're now able to get a real measurement of user productivity. We're able to use this tool to reduce the mean time to resolution, whenever there is a problem with our end-users. It helps us speed up the time needed to address their issues. When there are any issues with their devices, we're able to use Aternity to very quickly figure out what the issues are, whether it's an issue with a workstation or an issue with a particular application. Using this tool, we now have visibility, so detection, and the remediation that comes after it, are much faster now. That's instead of being blind, per se, without this tool. The tool has a very good feature called Validate Application Change, which allows us to validate any changes to an application or infrastructure changes, or even a simple configuration change. It allows us to quickly measure the baseline and gives us a very nice before-and-after view. For example, suppose that prior to the change, the user-experience was two seconds. After the change, using the Validate feature, we can see that it got better and the user response-time is one second instead of two. This feature helps us make decisions about the effects of changes in two ways. One is that we use it to validate whether a change should go ahead. For example, for our Office 365 migration, we used it to test and validate whether, if we were to convert users into the Microsoft 365 suite of tools, the application performance would be good or not. It helped us make a decision on whether to actually push it out and put it in production for everybody. That was heavily used during performance testing phase. The second is that it gives us a way to validate whether a change was successful and meets our bank's current SLAs. Using the solution we know what the full transaction experience or performance is like, how much time it's taking, and where any bottleneck is. If there is an issue with the backend, or there's an issue with the network, or the issue is with the client side or workstation, if the root cause resides in the client or workstation, it has the troubleshooting capability to specifically figure out what the root cause is.

What is most valuable?

The main feature, what we really like about Aternity, is that it can monitor the actual user experience, meaning their actual response times, volume, and when they did what. Another key feature is with regard to the current situation with COVID. A lot of people are now working from home and Aternity has been a very good tool to monitor and measure the performance of the VPN. Other features we use heavily are the WiFi analyzer, the Skype for Business analyzer, and the troubleshooting functionalities. We also use the Device Health quite religiously here for troubleshooting devices that are unhealthy, when we're talking about things like high CPU or memory consumption, or file system problems within the users' workstations.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to a lot of the features that I would want, they will tell you they are in their SaaS version, which we don't use. We are planning to move to the SaaS solution to get those features.  But the issue is how Aternity, as a company, works their roadmap. They put all the new features on the SaaS solution and that's where you get the latest and greatest stuff. But some of those features are not available for the on-premise users, which is what we are. Why not have those features available for on-prem users?
Aternity
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Aternity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've been using Aternity for about six years. Our first engagement was about six years ago but in the last two years we have had more dedicated focus in using it on a larger scale, using one of their latest versions.

It's very stable. We haven't had any downtime because of the tool.

Scaling it is very easy and intuitive. It's just a matter of acquiring a server. It's very well documented on their portal; how to scale and what all the numbers will be.

Their technical support is very good. They're extremely knowledgeable about their product and the support has been great. Their responses are very timely and they'll fix the issues.

From my end, the initial setup was very easy because we engaged their Professional Services to help us. Our deployment took three days. At a high level overview, our deployment strategy included acquiring the necessary servers based on Aternity's documentation. Aternity provided sizing consulting to review and make sure that we got the right hardware and sizing and capacity. Once that was acquired, it was just a matter of installing it in a test environment and then moving on to the production environment.

Our experience with their Professional Services was very good.

We have definitely seen ROI in terms of cost savings. Implementation times and remediation times are all cost savings, when it comes to operational readiness and day-to-day operations.

The pricing is fair. Their salespeople are very good and they will work with you in terms of getting the best price for you.

We looked at several other solutions. We picked Aternity because of ease of use, ease of setup, ease of configuration. Also a lot of this stuff is automated in the sense that once you install the agent, it's smart enough to measure and collect and monitor all sorts of stuff with the user's devices. With other products there is a lot manual set up and a lot of manual overhead to configure them, to get them to work right.  Not only was it the ease of use, but it collects and monitors a lot more metrics. It also provides a very flexible interface to do custom reports and monitor and customize internal applications, relatively easily.

What other advice do I have?

Have valid use cases defined, know what you want, and make sure that you talk with the Professional Services team and the product team. Get the demos, ask all your questions, and make sure that their solution will actually meet your needs and your use cases. The Aternity guys do a very good job and they're very upfront and honest with their feedback, regarding what their tool can or cannot do.

Director GWMS Development at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reduces the amount of time that we spend debugging issues
  • "It is a tool that helps me check users' computers really quickly without having a help desk administrator logging in and doing analysis. Anyone who has access to Aternity, including our support team, can log onto Aternity and do a quick, basic analysis."
  • "Right now, the user information being displayed by Aternity is received from AD. Ideally, we would like to see integration with other sources for user information, like other databases, so we are not limited to AD."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for user experience analysis and troubleshooting of end user problems. Down the road, we are planning to integrate it with other systems and do data mining and analytics to analyze user experience trends, then correlate and generate alerts if there are systematic problems in the user experience. We can then correlate it to the line of business, location, and the specific software causing the problem.

We previously used version 7 and are now using version 11.

How has it helped my organization?

You cannot see their screen. However, you can see some statistics, numbers, and performance. After you implement your custom applications, it will give information about the device itself. It can also give you information about the network and the back-end computing. From my experience, this reduces the troubleshooting time by 70 or 80 percent.

What is most valuable?

The troubleshooting is the most valuable feature because we are experiencing some issues with end user computing. It is very helpful finding out what is the root cause.

Aternity provides visibility into the employee device and application transactions all the way through to the back-end. There are applications or nonstandard applications where you have an ability to extend them to add extra information, which we are doing right now. You can clarify the information that you receive on Aternity, like your custom application. If it is web-based, then you can customize it with minimal development and get extra information about personal transactions as well as the user experience of browsing between application tabs on the browser.

What needs improvement?

In version 7, there was a separate tab for certain applications where I could open five IE Explorer instances or pathways in Chrome, which I found really useful. It had memory consumption and CPU per process. We already indicated to Aternity that it would be helpful to have this again.

Right now, the user information being displayed by Aternity is received from AD. Ideally, we would like to see integration with other sources for user information, like other databases, so we are not limited to AD.

I have used it for about two years.

In two years, we haven't had any problems with Aternity.

We have had no problems with scalability.

We have deployed about 2,200 licenses so far. We are planning overall to have about 8,000 to 10,000 users.

I have used the technical support a little bit. Usually, they are very good. They have been responsive and come with solutions quickly.

We didn't have this type of tool before.

I didn't set up the back-end. I only had experience with installing agents on users' machines. Installing the agents is very simple.

Another team did the setup.

There is a small group who handles any performance tools. They are not a big team.

There is definitely a return because there is a 30 percent reduction in the amount of time we spend debugging issues.

Aternity has helped us to reduce hardware refresh costs by considering the actual employee experience, rather than just the age of the employees’ devices. It has definitely been very helpful by giving us the full picture of what needs to be done. We are in this specific situation because we are doing a refresh because of another initiative. It has told us that we didn't need to replace the hardware by at least 10 percent.

The pricing for the users and agents is reasonable compared to other solutions and vendors.

The fact that other products may provide deeper visibility into device performance doesn't concern me at all since I get so much detail regarding what I need.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very powerful tool. We are still learning it.

The solution is very helpful to have. Companies look at the application monitoring and performance. Aternity gives you the ability to see end-to-end, so you just don't see applications; you see the user experience of an application. Because you could have the best application in your data center, but you might have problems accessing it. Or, if the computing devices are not optimal, they don't benefit from having fantastic applications on the back-end. So, it gives you the holistic view of your overall end-to-end journey.

I would rate the solution as an eight or nine out of 10 because of the improvements that I suggested.

Aternity
May 2022
598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MikeSullivan - PeerSpot reviewer
Digital Experience - Team Leader Canterbury at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good performance, useful for full end-to-end user experience monitoring and profiling users, but should have better billing model and support for mobile devices
  • "It is useful for working out whether there are any issues in the network or between the endpoints. It is also useful for working out any performance issues. It has been useful for a lot of stuff around Teams. Our customers like to know what's happening with Teams when they call in. It is helpful for easily profiling users. It records all the applications that are being used for each user, and you can see what users are doing. It is very good in terms of performance. You don't have to wait forever to try and get reports or results. It is quite quick to get everything that you need out of the software."
  • "For me, the biggest problem is the price. It is not so much about how much it costs. It is about Aternity only giving you 12 months upfront. So, you got to purchase it for 12 months. A lot of our customers are on a per-user-per-month type billing. They are all OPEX rather than CAPEX. It would be a lot better for our customers if there was an option available for OPEX so that it is billed on a monthly basis than a yearly basis. They've got only Windows agents. They don't actually have mobile agents. It would be a lot better if they could also integrate Android and iOS because then we can start pulling steps and performance management out of users' mobile devices. That's the biggest addition I would suggest at the moment. A lot of our customers have desktops as well as tablets or mobile devices. We should be able to monitor that stuff as well."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a managed service provider, and we offer Aternity as one of the main solutions for any customer who needs applications and full end-to-end user experience monitoring.

The main use case is around application performance. Another main use case is related to Teams. Our customers like to know what's happening with Teams when they call in. Is it a performance issue at the backend or within their desktop environment?

We have its SaaS-based service version. It is deployed on the cloud, but the agents are deployed on-premise. So, I needed to buy stuff.

What is most valuable?

It is useful for working out whether there are any issues in the network or between the endpoints. It is also useful for working out any performance issues. It has been useful for a lot of stuff around Teams. Our customers like to know what's happening with Teams when they call in.

It is helpful for easily profiling users. It records all the applications that are being used for each user, and you can see what users are doing.

It is very good in terms of performance. You don't have to wait forever to try and get reports or results. It is quite quick to get everything that you need out of the software.

What needs improvement?

For me, the biggest problem is the price. It is not so much about how much it costs. It is about Aternity only giving you 12 months upfront. So, you got to purchase it for 12 months. A lot of our customers are on a per-user-per-month type billing. They are all OPEX rather than CAPEX. It would be a lot better for our customers if there was an option available for OPEX so that it is billed on a monthly basis than a yearly basis.

They've got only Windows agents. They don't actually have mobile agents. It would be a lot better if they could also integrate Android and iOS because then we can start pulling steps and performance management out of users' mobile devices. That's the biggest addition I would suggest at the moment. A lot of our customers have desktops as well as tablets or mobile devices. We should be able to monitor that stuff as well.

I have been using Aternity for less than three months.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. We've got several enterprise customers using it, and we provide it as a managed service with the SLAs and stuff wrapped around it.

We plan to increase its usage. I don't think we would switch at this point. It already ticks most of the boxes. We've only been using it for three months, and we're signing a lot more customers down that path. It is hard for us to change the application or software internally because it requires a lot of internal training and other things. You can't just cross-pollinate. You will have to change every one of them.

We haven't contacted them so far.

It is pretty straightforward. Anyone should be able to do that.

It is all SaaS-based. You order it, and they set up the backend on their service. You just download the agent and install it on the desktops. It doesn't take a long time at all.

You have to purchase it for 12 months, which is an issue because a lot of our customers are on a per-user-per-month type billing.

There are a few additional costs. A lot of customers only get the essential licenses, and then they get what they call the application add-ons on top. They have to pay depending on how many customers and applications they want to monitor.

We evaluated Dynatrace. The cost of Dynatrace was about two or three times more, and it wasn't giving what we needed it for. Dynatrace has got some aspects, but it was not what we were looking for. We were looking for end-user experience monitoring, not just application monitoring or application performance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Aternity a seven out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator, System provider
Expert at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Low licensing cost, helpful in finding problems, and provides infrastructure data in seconds, but needs more features and better UI, support, and stability
  • "The infrastructure data, especially the CPU and memory data, is per second, which makes it outstanding as compared to other solutions. Its licensing cost is very low for us."
  • "Its user interface and features should be improved. They don't support new versions of certain Linux editions. That is one of the reasons why we have to move to another solution."
  • "In terms of a new feature, it would be good if we could restrict a user to a specific application or server. We have several customers, and we have to set up one or two servers for each customer. We have to set up one server for production and one for the test environment. Each user at the customer level can see all applications and the data of all applications, which is not really useful and good. We should be able to restrict user access at the application level or server level."
  • "Their technical support should be improved in terms of response time. Its stability should also be better. We are currently using version 10, and its stability is not so high. The server crashes from time to time and needs to be restarted. Sometimes, you also have problems with applications."

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped to identify several problems and performance bottlenecks in different applications through the code-level instrumentation and its features, and sometimes also through the detailed infrastructure metrics in one-second granularity, including memory, heap, and GC statistics.

What is most valuable?

This is a review of Aternity APM (formerly "AppInternals") on-premises version 10.21 only.

The infrastructure metrics, especially the CPU and memory data etc., are available in per second granularity, and this for quite a long time, which makes it outstanding as compared to other solutions. Its licensing cost is very low for us. For the use of the agent in infrastructure mode only (without code-level instrumentation), no licence is consumed. A license is only consumed when code-level instrumentation data is harvested, or downloaded from the agent to the Aternity APM server.

The code-level instrumentation has been quite helpfull in many cases, including the ability to record and analyse database SQL requests with bind values, and exceptions.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface and features should be improved. They don't support new versions of certain Linux editions. That is one of the reasons why we have to move to another solution.

In terms of a new feature, it would be good if we could restrict a user to a specific application or server. We have several customers, and we have to set up one or two servers for each customer. We have to set up one server for production and one for the test environment. Each user at the customer level can see all applications and the data of all applications, which is not really useful and good. We should be able to restrict user access at the application level or server level.

Their technical support should be improved in terms of response time. Its stability should also be better. We are currently using version 10, and its stability is not so high. The server crashes from time to time and needs to be restarted. Sometimes, you also have problems with applications.

Version 11 only allows for one AD/LDAP server to be connected to. Version 10 can connect to several LDAP servers, a feature we need; that's why we did not upgrade to version 11.

The on-premises version lacks some features compared to the SaaS cloud solution of Aternity APM.

I have been working with this solution for two and a half years.

Its stability is not so high currently. We are still using version 10. We have not switched to version 11. The server crashes from time to time and needs to be restarted. Sometimes, you also have problems with applications. Once they are instrumented, they have to be fine-tuned because of the problems.

We are not satisfied with their technical support. If there is a problem, you have to wait for several days to get a response.

Its initial setup is relatively complex.

Its licensing cost is very low. That's one of the reasons why we have kept it for so long. We get more than a 70% discount on the maintenance licenses. Its cost is very low for us, but if you buy it new, it would be much more expensive at the retail price.

We are currently evaluating Dynatrace, which has a lot more possibilities. It has a better user interface and fewer errors or problems with instrumentation features.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Aternity APM a five out of ten. We are not very happy with it, and we are considering a new solution.

Download our free Aternity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022