IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Amazon WorkSpaces OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon WorkSpaces is #2 ranked solution in top Desktop as a Service vendors. PeerSpot users give Amazon WorkSpaces an average rating of 8 out of 10. Amazon WorkSpaces is most commonly compared to Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops: Amazon WorkSpaces vs Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
What is Amazon WorkSpaces?

Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. We are driven by the excitement of building technologies, inventing products, and providing services that change lives. We embrace new ways of doing things, make decisions quickly, and are not afraid to fail. We have the scope and capabilities of a large company, and the spirit and heart of a small one. Together, Amazonians research and develop new technologies from Amazon Web Services to Alexa on behalf of our customers: shoppers, sellers, content creators, and developers around the world. Our mission is to be Earth's most customer-centric company. Our actions, goals, projects, programs, and inventions begin and end with the customer top of mind.

Amazon WorkSpaces was previously known as WorkSpaces.

Amazon WorkSpaces Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon WorkSpaces Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Amazon WorkSpaces Customers

GrubHub, Endemol Shine Nederland, CMC Property Services

Amazon WorkSpaces Video

Amazon WorkSpaces Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon WorkSpaces pricing:
  • "There are several different options available, but it can range anywhere from $85 to $150 a month per machine."
  • "The solution is not very cheap and it is not too pricey."
  • "The bundle works out to be approximately $20.00 per month."
  • Amazon WorkSpaces Reviews

Director, Digital Workplace Engineering at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reliable, flexible, easy to use, and allows me to work from anywhere
    • "The most valuable feature is the mobility. I can use it anywhere."
    • "The speed and performance are not always the greatest. It can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use it as my laptop. It's my virtual machine. I use it for everything I do at work, including using it for managing the systems and the servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the mobility. I can use it anywhere.  If I don't have my regular laptop, I can use my resources on it anywhere I go. Also, the flexibility is very good.

What needs improvement?

The speed and performance are not always the greatest. It can be improved. Video and audio conferencing are areas that need to be improved.  When you're using it on a laptop for conferencing, you need to enhance the video. This is because you cannot do video conferencing on an Amazon WorkSpace. Rather, you're on a different laptop and dialing into it.  Overall performance and video conferencing platforms, whether it's WebEx, Teams, or Skype, all need improvement.

I have been using Amazon Workspaces for three years.
    Amazon WorkSpaces vs. Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops
    May 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon WorkSpaces vs. Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops and other solutions. Updated: May 2022.
    597,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is good with Amazon Workspaces.

It's a scalable solution. My understanding is that it is basically the price of the machine. We are limited to the cost. We have approximately 600 to 800 users in our organization with most being IT, some are business partners but most are centric to technology people.

It's not in my realm of responsibilities. My counterpart or partner team take care of it.

Previously, we used Citrix Managed Desktops for a very limited about of time. Citrix was the most user-friendly and there were too many issues.

The initial setup is straightforward. We have a team of three, four max, to maintain this solution.

There are several different options available, but it can range anywhere from $85 to $150 a month per machine. The cost is based on the capacity and the resources of the machine itself.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it. Definitely.  It's a very flexible solution, scalable, and easy to use.  You can use it from any device, whether you have an iPad, or if you have a laptop, a Mac, or if you have Windows. You can use it on every platform that supports Google Chrome. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Manager at Ravi RITS Enterprice
    Well-defined with easy installation
    • "They maintain it and manage it very well."
    • "An area that could be improved is it could work better on VPN."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for our regular day-to-day work. It's a BYOD: bring your own device and use WorkSpaces to connect to the company network.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved the organization because now any user who doesn't have a corporate laptop can connect to the system, security is still high, and it uses very low bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

All of the features are good. The maintenance part is good. They maintain it and manage it very well.

What needs improvement?

An area that could be improved is it could work better on VPN. On VPN, it gets some issues, and frequent disconnections happen.

I have been using the solution for 16 months.

The stability of the solution is very good. We don't have issues.

The solution is fully scalable. Around 135 users are using it, and they're almost on all levels, leading from director, senior manager, manager to interns.

We haven't faced many issues with the solution, so we hardly went to AWS for support issues. We connected with the sales guy; he was able to help us with the small issues that we had.

The initial setup was straightforward. Very easy to do.

Within two days we were able to provide WorkSpaces to our 100 users; within just two days. We just synced our Active Directory and it was done.

I completed the deployment myself, and we have three engineers to manage the solution.

The solution is not very cheap and it is not too pricey.

We actually evaluated the VMware VDI solution but that was getting costly for us so we went with AWS WorkSpaces.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone looking at the solution, I can say that it is a good solution and within well-defined price ranges, and a very scalable one. People should try this one. It's just a very good thing; we use it, and we see the value that we are having. The best thing is the integration is very easy.

I would rate the solution an 8.5 out of ten, because I haven't worked with the support team and because of the VPN issues.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Amazon WorkSpaces vs. Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops
    May 2022
    597,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Easy provisioning that is easy to scale and easy to setup
    • "The most valuable features are easy provisioning, an active directory, and mobile access."
    • "If they had a cheaper option for graphics pro, I think that it would be beneficial and I would use it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Amazon WorkSpaces for our everyday office use.

For our software development, we use Azure Desktop.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are easy provisioning, Active Directory, and mobile access.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Amazon WorkSpaces for six months.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues.

It's a scalable solution. It's easy to scale.

We had an Amazon account and from there, we connected to the Amazon WorkSpaces.

We also use Azure a lot for software development.

The initial setup was very easy.

The bundle works out to be approximately $20.00 per month.

What other advice do I have?

If they have custom development or anything custom, they should probably look at other solutions. All of the pricing adds up to be quite a bit.

If it is all-inclusive pricing for a single user or for two users then it would be a lot cheaper.

I would rate Amazon WorkSpaces an eight out of ten.