We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Amazon API Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Amazon API Gateway is #9 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give Amazon API Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. Amazon API Gateway is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure API Management: Amazon API Gateway vs Microsoft Azure API Management. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is Amazon API Gateway?

Amazon API Gateway is a fully managed service that makes it easy for developers to create, publish, maintain, monitor, and secure APIs at any scale. With a few clicks in the AWS Management Console, you can create an API that acts as a "front door" for applications to access data, business logic, or functionality from your back-end services, such as workloads running on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), code running on AWS Lambda, or any Web application.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Amazon API Gateway Customers

Autodesk, Fox Digital Consumer Group, iFlix, UK Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Miovision, Olympusat, PhotoVogue, Royale International Group, Veracode

Amazon API Gateway Video

Amazon API Gateway Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon API Gateway pricing:
  • "There are no licensing fees."
  • "I am satisfied with the price."
  • "Fees are volume-based."
  • Amazon API Gateway Reviews

Cloud Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    Secure, easy to use, includes WAF rules, has responsive technical support, and provides excellent documentation
    • "It is very helpful, with our API-based applications."
    • "Monitoring could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

When you have multiple API applications, Amazon API Gateway can serve as both your front end and your middleware. When you have microservices, for example, you can run Amazon API Gateway with Kubernetes. It can also build out the requests.

We also have the serverless application being hosted in Lambda. Lambda is an AWS resource that we use Amazon API Gateway with when we have received a request. It redirects the traffic to that particular request.

What is most valuable?

It's a brilliant service.

It is very helpful, with our API-based applications. As a service that is provided by Amazon, you do not need to maintain it or, monitor the traffic, you can simply configure it and it is ready to use.

Amazon API Gateway is secure, you can have the WAF rules, base protected. In terms of security, you can always have WAF rules, it's good.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to integration, it is currently integrated with CloudWatch monitoring. As a result, monitoring the APIs to external servers is not an option. This is a feature that should be added, similar to what we have for ServiceManager.

Monitoring could be improved.

I have been using Amazon API Gateway for three years.

Amazon API Gateway does not require scaling. We can easily add certain rules.

You can update, and deploy it at any time. They have a zero content deployment strategy in place.

We have many different applications with this solution. We have approximately 30 to 40 applications that use this solution.

I have raised some tickets with concerns or issues that we have experienced and they have been quick to respond. We have full support from AWS. The technical support is very good.

The installation is straightforward. It can be done through the command line or just by using the UI.

The documentation provided by Amazon is wonderful. You just follow the steps and you can easily get started with it.

We have used it through Terraform, we created the scripts, opened the pathways, and configured them. Once the script is ready, it can be applied. This process is not an issue and can be done in two to three minutes.

When it is being done through the UI, you have all of the configurations in mind, and it doesn't require a lot of time to set up. When the setup is ready, you just have to apply. It does not require a lot of time overall.

We have a technical team and a development team who work on creating the New APIs. They are very familiar with this solution. One person who is very familiar and one other maintain this solution. At times, we have a team of three or four people who have experience with AWS to deploy, maintain, and create the configurations.

There are no licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

It is the most recommended solution to use.

What I have explored is limited. I am not sure if any other external integrations are required. To my knowledge, they already integrate with other services. We are pleased with what we have.

I would definitely recommend this solution for microservices-based applications. For example, if they are using a Lambda function that is serverless, you will want to move the Lambda functions to the API gateway it is recommended.

I would rate Amazon API Gateway a nine out of ten.

Digital Architecture Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to get started and to use
    • "In terms of most valuable features, it would say that it is really easy to start working with it."
    • "It would be useful to have a more complete development environment for the developer, with different integrative capabilities to manage all the life cycles for the API. I think the full version formula for that is really useful. They should improve the development environment for easier integration."

What is our primary use case?

I use AWS API Management and Mulesoft because I work on different solutions and I am in a different layer, because I most focused on backend solutions. I have participated in some projects using these tools but I am not a developer or an expert.

We have designed and implemented RESTful API's. For example, based on Microservices with Spring Boot and AKS or OpenShift.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the most valuable features, it would say that it is really easy to start working with it.

I'm fine with the interface. It's okay. I think it also is really useful with the pay per-use. The cost is interesting.

What needs improvement?

It would be useful to have a more complete development environment for the developer, with different integrative capabilities to manage all the life cycles for the API. I think the full version formula for that is really useful. They should improve the development environment for easier integration.

I have been using Amazon API Gateway for about one year.

It is stable. I haven't find many issues in the program, so I think it's a stable.

We have many teams working on the solution, between 10 and 50, and there are between 8 and 10 people per team.

The initial setup is easy because you don't have to install anything. It's cloud. It is in a base mode, so to start working with that the setup is really easy.

I was looking for information regarding AWS API gateway and MuleSoft because I am looking for some different arguments to put on the table for a comparative for a customer. In my opinion MuleSoft is a tool that lets you to manage all the life cycles for the API. I think it's a more complete solution. In AWS you don't have the capabilities to manage all the life cycle for the API's. Also you don't have other capabilities for implementing different integration patterns. I think that's the main difference that I found between these tools.

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give others regarding Amazon API is that it depends on the use cases. If they have a complex environment, they need to consider different integration patterns. It could be that AWS Management is not enough for them. They would have to compliment it with another solution. It is really working in some cases, but you do need to evaluate all the requirements to choose the tool. If you are working only in the AWS context with different services or something like that, it's really useful to work with AWS Management.

On a scale of one to ten I would rate Amazon API Gateway an eight.

Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, MuleSoft and others in API Management. Updated: January 2022.
    565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Technical Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    A complete solution with good security, integration, and stability
    • "Its security feature is the most valuable because it is mainly a security solution. It has easy authentication and authorization, and its integration is also useful."
    • "The user interface, in general, can be better. The user interface for the entire Amazon cloud can be more friendly. There are some scenarios that are not really easy to manage and configure through the user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for normal API purposes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The user interface, in general, can be better. The user interface for the entire Amazon cloud can be more friendly. There are some scenarios that are not really easy to manage and configure through the user interface.

I have been using this solution for more or less one year.

Its stability is great.

It is very scalable because it is in the cloud. We might have around ten thousand users of this solution. The client for whom we deployed this solution is using this solution and won't be changing it or increasing its usage in the near future.

I haven't really used technical support. Its documentation is really good and complete. There are a lot of things on the website that you can use.

We didn't have a different solution.

It is ready to be used because it is in the cloud. It is very straightforward to set it up with some support. The deployment duration depends on the number of services, but generally, it takes around two hours.

We used an in-house resource. In terms of maintenance, we have a team that supervises not only this product but also other products. I think the product itself doesn't require much monitoring or maintenance. It is really managed by the cloud.

We didn't evaluate other options because our environment is in Amazon, so it didn't make sense to use another solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution for anyone whose strategy is to run entirely on Amazon. You basically have to use another approach if that's not the case. If you have a hybrid cloud or if you are trying to be independent of the cloud, this is not a good solution for you.

I would rate Amazon API Gateway an eight out of ten. It is a complete solution.

Project Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
    Easy to use in combination with other Amazon services and enables us to to assess our internal services in our VPC
    • "Amazon stack is easy to use in combination with other Amazon services, so it was a logical continuity."
    • "The user interface could be improved, as well as customer support and having a local customer representative in a country."

What is our primary use case?

We use an API from Amazon to assess our internal services in our VPC and to limit the access of certain users to API and to have an execution plan. Certain users have certain access to API calls that they could use to give them an assessed quota.

The solution is deployed on a private cloud.

What is most valuable?

Amazon stack is easy to use in combination with other Amazon services, so it was a logical continuity. We use Amazon Lambda, so using Amazon API Gateway is the logical continuity of the same step. It wouldn't be very practical to use technology from Azure because we are already using Amazon.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, as well as customer support and having a local customer representative in a country. Monitoring could also be improved a bit.

I have been using this solution for one year.

The solution is stable so far.

It is scalable.

I haven't had a case where I needed to talk to a local representative, but as an overall problem for sales, that is something that could be improved.

We usually find answers on the internet or through other materials.

The solution was easy to set up. I did the setup by myself.

I am satisfied with the price.

We evaluated other options like Microsoft. They are very similar, but because of our customers, they insist on using Amazon.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

If you get used to a certain technology, you would definitely recommend it to your customer because you have experience. We recommend this technology to our customers because we are using it for other products and we have experience, and then the core learning or integration course is shorter.

Private Cloud
    Sr. Technology Specialist at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It's easy to integrate and provide support for existing AWS services
    • "It's easy to integrate and provide support for existing AWS services if I use the AWS API gateway."
    • "I am not completely satisfied with Technical Support."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for API routing and managing traffic. These are managed authentications between the API and back to primary users.

What is most valuable?

Our services are deployed only in AWS Cloud. It's easy to integrate and provide support for existing AWS services if I use the AWS API gateway. I'm going to continue using it for my projects. A few of the projects are deployed in Amazon, some in GCP, but most are on the AWS.

What needs improvement?

I am not completely satisfied with Technical Support. They were finding it difficult to get to the AWS API gateway. Also, the traffic percentage was not calculating correctly.

I have used Amazon API gateway for a year or so. We use a Hybrid version.

It's very stable. I'm satisfied with that.

I'm satisfied.

I am not completely satisfied with Technical Support.

It's straightforward. It took 15 minutes to deploy.

We implemented this in-house.

We compared Google APIG to the Amazon APIG. The Google APIG is more for the open banking APIWSA2. The Google APIG are more advanced in terms of the open banking API compared to the AWS API gateway.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it for open banking. I would rate it 8 out of 10. To get to 10 it would It would need more support for open banking, via the open API. If your existing workloads are in AWS, then you can surely go for the AWS Amazon, AWS API gateway. If it is a hybrid solution, then I would suggest you go for WSA2. Konghybrid GCP is also good.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Software Development Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Good technical support, and priced well, but the integration needs improvement
    • "It's flexible. It was valuable."
    • "The integration could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Amazon API Gateway to compliment or to put a security facade on top of your current APIs.

What is most valuable?

It's flexible. It was valuable.

What needs improvement?

We have not yet explored all of the capabilities. We are looking for a developer portal that may or may not be included, we are not sure.

The integration could be improved.

I have been using Amazon API Gateway for three months. We are using it for a project but it is not in production yet.

There are no issues with the stability of the Amazon API Gateway.

Amazon API Gateway is a scalable solution.

We have integrated into probably eight different areas. We have high volumes. We probably process over 100,000 contracts a day through it.

Amazon has provided us with a dedicated technical advisor. We haven't had any issues with technical support. We're very pleased with it.

There was a bit of a learning curve because we scripted it, but after that it was fine.

We completed the installation ourselves.

Fees are volume-based.

For our current volume, the price is fine, it is what we would expect.

What other advice do I have?

It is doing what we need at this point, there isn't anything extra that we would want.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Amazon API Gateway a seven out of ten.

Product Categories
    API Management
    Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Microsoft, MuleSoft, and more!