IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
User with 201-500 employees
Flexible, integrates with our ticketing system, and is useful for IT alerting and business continuation
  • "We're able to communicate better with specific groups or offices. We didn't have that capability or granularity before. It has helped in that regard."
  • "Additional built-in integrations with other applications would be an area of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We have two instances of xMatters. One is for IT alerting, and one is for business continuation.

We leverage our IT instance to notify different IT groups, such as system administrators or web developers, and then escalate an issue to a specific group.

We utilize it for disaster recovery to be able to send out messages to either the entire company or a more granular group of individuals, such as a specific location or specific departments.

How has it helped my organization?

We're able to communicate better with specific groups or offices. We didn't have that capability or granularity before. It has helped in that regard.

Automation of our incident notification process has increased our capability to respond. We can not only alert a whole group of people. We can also configure escalations so that one person is notified, and then it continues up the escalation if it is not responded to.

It has helped us to build workflows that meet our needs. It is important for us because it just helps create additional efficiencies. If we can configure workflows, that typically helps us be more efficient when there is an issue. xMatters workflows have helped us to address issues proactively.

The targeted and content-rich notifications have helped to reduce response times in our organization, but I don't have the metrics.

Its on-call schedules and streamlined escalations have helped to reduce Sev-1 incidents in our organization.

What is most valuable?

It has been useful for IT alerting and business continuation.

When it comes to customizing on-call schedules, rotations, and escalations, it is very flexible. There is only one thing that we've not been able to do, but if a capability is not there, you can always enter an enhancement request. They're very interested in what we're doing as a customer and what we're looking for. It is very easy to use and intuitive as compared to other similar solutions.

We have integrated it primarily with Jira. We use Jira for our help desk system, and then we can escalate a help desk ticket to a specific group of people for our IT instance. For example, if there was an issue with the server and a ticket was created, we could escalate that to our server team. The integrations that we have done were good and easy to set up.

We use xMatters’ REST API, and it is easy to use.

We use xMatters logs as part of our operations. If needed, we do review the logs.

xMatters IT Management
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about xMatters IT Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for just over three years.

Its stability is very good.

Its scalability is very good. We probably have about 20 to 25 uses in total. For the IT instance, it is our IT team that is using the instance. For business continuation, it is our HR team. We have plans to increase the usage of the product.

It is very good, but there is always room for improvement. Their support can be improved in terms of the initial response times and getting an engineer on the line. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We didn't use any other solution previously.

On the IT instance side, it required preparation in terms of figuring out the groups of people to whom we wanted to send the notification. It involved defining and building those groups. On the business continuation side, it was primarily importing our user data so that we could properly communicate with specific locations and/or teams of people.

In terms of maintenance, it is a SaaS solution. The only real maintenance required on our side is to make sure that our end-user data that is imported into the solution is correct. We export our user data from one system. We then make sure that it is formatted correctly, and after that, we import it into xMatters. Its maintenance takes about 20 minutes per week.

We have seen a return on investment.

It seemed comparable or more reasonable than some of the other solutions, at least when we evaluated it. There are no extra costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

Its cost is good, given the breadth of features provided by xMatters.

We did evaluate a few different solutions prior to making the decision to implement xMatters. We went with xMatters because it seemed like it had more flexibility and capabilities, and it could also be integrated with our ticketing system.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise understanding what you're trying to gain out of bringing in this product, and when you do, be ready to get it configured. There is a little bit of lead time, but configuration and setup are fairly easy.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is to be organized. If you're using it for emergency alerting, then be ready for whatever your needs are.

Sam M Cohen - PeerSpot reviewer
Lead Consultant, Owner and Founder at a tech consulting company with self employed
Automation improves support call efficiency and response time, but the interface needs improvement
  • "It reduces the amount of oversight required, and consequently, the amount of time to assign and get a response on a ticket."
  • "The data validation and verification need to be enhanced so that when data is changed, it reviews it in an automated manner and catches all of the anomalies."

What is our primary use case?

This solution integrates with the service desk tool to allow for the appropriate notification of support teams. You can set up a queue of people and you can assign their devices, their priorities, and the order in which they are called. It allows for shift work and it can all be automated once it is set up. If somebody has to be contacted then it happens automatically through the interface.

The system works by allowing for support queues, where you can define who is available and who is on-call. Then, based on ticket priority, you can define what kind of notifications take place. For example, if it is an urgent ticket or a priority-one incident, then you need to make a phone call. In contrast, if it is something minor for one individual, then it's typically going to be an email and that's the extent of it.

How has it helped my organization?

The automation provided not only expedited communication, and therefore the ability to address issues, but also ensured that the data used for communication is managed.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the automation because it reduces the demand on resources. It automates the escalation of a ticket if the person doesn't answer within a certain amount of it, and it passes it on to the next person. People are required to respond, for example, by pressing the one key on the phone to acknowledge the call. If it was an email then it would require a reply or similar type of acknowledgment.

Having this level of automation is a great benefit to being able to more quickly contact people. It reduces the amount of oversight required, and consequently, the amount of time to assign and get a response on a ticket.

What needs improvement?

The integration with other systems needs to be more flexible.

The interface is a little bit rigid and can be improved. For example, it tends to operate on the attribute of a record. So, if a group has a name, it tends to want the group names as opposed to, for example, the ID of a record. It creates a problem because if you rename the record then you lose all of the connections.

The data validation and verification need to be enhanced so that when data is changed, it reviews it in an automated manner and catches all of the anomalies. Otherwise, all you're doing is shifting the workload from an operational standpoint to an administrative one.

We began using xMatters IT Management in 2014.

PS, I am no longer with the firm and do not know if it is still in use.

This is a stable solution. This system runs 24 hours a day, every day of the year, and stability is not an issue.

This solution is fairly scalable. In the organization where I had this running, we were handling up to 150,000 incidents per month. There were 5,000 incidents a day and an IT staff of 1,000 people. I'm not sure if it would even be cost-effective in a smaller organization.

I would say that their support is above average, although not exceptional. It depends, in part, on who you were speaking with. However, part of the reason that we sometimes struggle with support is that we are outside of the norm for what is expected.

The initial setup was complex. The reason for this is that the interface is not as sophisticated as our needs.

The configuration is partly done in the service desk tool, where it gathers the contact information or it reads it dynamically. xMatters stores the method and the parameter for contact. As an example, if the method is to contact via email then the parameter would be the email address. If the method is a phone call then the parameter would be a phone number. You can set up other methods, too, depending on how sophisticated your environment is.

Implementing and deploying the system took six months to complete, including testing to makes sure that it worked.

The cost of this solution was less than the cost of staff required for the same job, so it is saving money.

This is a subscription-based, SaaS solution. There were some additional costs during the implementation because it was well beyond their standard configuration.

What other advice do I have?

At the backend, this service is initiated internally, but the notifications and alerts are sent externally to the vendor through web service calls.

My advice for anybody who is implementing xMatters is to be sure that they have a very clear plan on how they want to process whatever communications they're doing. The tool can do almost anything but you have to come to the table with the process well-defined, before you being implementation.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
xMatters IT Management
July 2022
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Nikita Chandapur - PeerSpot reviewer
Software QA Analyst at ViaSat
Brings efficiency in resolving issues and quickly getting in touch with the on-call person, but we cannot go back in time to check our previous schedules
  • "Being able to split the week however we want is definitely most valuable. We can create shifts and also see other teams' schedules. It is a very easy search to do these things."
  • "We cannot go back in time to check out the previous schedules that we had. We can only see them moving forward. I wish we were able to go back and see the previous schedules that we had. That's the biggest thing."

What is our primary use case?

It is mostly used to schedule our on-call system to support our customers. We use it a lot to schedule people, put in absences, etc. We also use it to see the other teams that we can contact.

How has it helped my organization?

We have integrated it with Slack to see who is on-call. We do a query on Slack, and it just brings the information back from there. The integration was pretty easy. We just had to install the app, and after that, we got it going.

It brought efficiency in terms of how quickly we resolve matters and how quickly we can get in touch with the person who is actually on-call. It has definitely helped us with efficiency in that.

It has helped us in building workflows that meet our needs. We have such a wide network of teams. We are all across the globe, and to be able to interact with people at a short notice and be able to schedule where we know what's happening has been really good.

Its targeted, content-rich notifications have helped to reduce response times in our organization. We are able to set up notifications through our phones and through the system. So, we are notified of things as they come.

It saves a significant amount of time because I get the notification immediately on my phone when things are not working, and I'm able to quickly say "I'm on it," or "I'm resolving it." It is really helpful to have that integration. So, there is definitely a significant amount of time savings.

What is most valuable?

Being able to split the week however we want is definitely most valuable. We can create shifts and also see other teams' schedules. It is a very easy search to do these things.

Its intuitiveness and flexibility when it comes to customizing on-call schedules, rotations, and escalations are pretty good. It is pretty easy to use. It doesn't take that long to onboard people on this.

What needs improvement?

We cannot go back in time to check out the previous schedules that we had. We can only see them moving forward. I wish we were able to go back and see the previous schedules that we had. That's the biggest thing.

I have probably been using this solution for the past two years. We started using it when we moved to having on-call.

It is pretty stable. We didn't have any issues with it.

We have about 200 people who use it. We use Slack, Jira, and xMatters for our on-call work. We have already integrated it with Slack, but I'm not sure how it works with Jira. I don't know if it can be integrated with Jira. That is something that we will have to explore.

I have not contacted them myself, and I don't know if my company had to do it.

I have not used a similar solution previously.

I am an end-user of this solution. We were all given logins to use it, and we just started using it.

In terms of maintenance, it doesn't seem like it needs a lot of maintenance because of the scope of how much we are using it or what we use it for.

What other advice do I have?

We don't use xMatters in full scale. We haven't tapped into the full potential of the platform. We only use just a part of it. We don't use its logs as part of our operations, and we also don't use the REST API or coding to expand the flexibility or functionality of workflows. Similarly, we haven't used xMatters to automate our incident notification process. We use Jira for that. We also haven't incorporated xMatters into our application delivery workflows.

The workflows haven't helped us to address issues proactively, and its on-call schedules and streamlined escalations haven't helped to reduce Sev-1 incidents in our organization.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten. There are things like having to remember when we were scheduled, but there are also some really neat features. It is easy to be able to get notifications, set up the app, and schedule absences. It is a pretty straightforward solution.

Senior Systems Analyst at a government with 10,001+ employees
Robust scheduling, calendaring for groups, and very good delineation of who gets alerted on which devices
  • "The most valuable feature is getting alerts out to my user base. xMatters is the only solution that I know that has robust scheduling, calendaring for groups, and that provides very good delineation of who gets alerted and on which devices they receive their alerts."
  • "I would like xMatters to provide users with the capability of administering it on their own. I do a lot of hand-holding with them."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an integration point with our monitoring solution, which is Micro Focus Operations Bridge Manager. We also have an integration point with Micro Focus Service Manager.

How has it helped my organization?

xMatters helped to automate our incident notification process. We generate incident tickets right from our alerts. That ability is excellent because we're able to respond immediately and indicate that someone has taken ownership of the alert.

We also use the coding to expand the functionality of xMatters workflows so that we can ingest information from a security solution. That will then generate an incident in Micro Focus Service Manager.

In addition, we have seen reduced response times, and the streamlined escalations have helped to reduce priority-one incidents in our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is getting alerts out to my user base. xMatters is the only solution that I know that has robust scheduling, calendaring for groups, and that provides very good delineation of who gets alerted and on which devices they receive their alerts.

It provides very robust and flexible means for scheduling and escalation. We use it quite extensively for making sure that we can schedule groups and the individual who is on call within them. We can make sure that, during office hours, everyone on a team receives alerts, but only the on-call person receives them after-hours via an SMS message. We use the calendaring quite extensively to make sure that we can schedule our shifts. Most of our groups include some form of escalation so that if somebody doesn't respond to an alert within prescribed timeframes, it will then send an alert to someone else.

The xMatters REST API is also very good when it comes to process and information customization.

What needs improvement?

I would like xMatters to provide users with the capability of administering it on their own. I do a lot of hand-holding with them.

I have been using xMatters IT Management for 11 years.

The stability of xMatters is excellent. It's probably the most stable piece of software that I'm responsible for.

To my knowledge, it's extremely scalable, although we have not scaled it at this point.

Currently, we have 170 end-users.

Everbridge's technical support for the solution is better than excellent. Every one of the support analysts that I have dealt with for the last several years has been able to provide a very quick response and a resolution to any problems that we've had.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We used another solution, but that was more than 15 years ago. I believe it was called Automation Point, but it doesn't exist anymore and it didn't have an integration into Micro Focus Operations Bridge Manager or the predecessor product.

In terms of the preparation needed to start using xMatters, we had to do a full security audit.

We get value for what we pay. I'm not looking for a return on investment, I'm looking for functionality. The value is in the alerting functionality.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to integrating xMatters with the Micro Focus solutions, I wouldn't say it's excellent, but it's certainly more intuitive than most integrations that I've done.

Overall, I recommend xMatters regularly to people. I don't recommend other solutions.

Rohan Samudre - PeerSpot reviewer
Staff Platform System Admin at BMC Software, Inc.
Easy onboarding, good integration, and helpful dashboards
  • "Simple features create flow sets and build APIs for integrations."
  • "An additional knowledge-sharing program could be helpful and part of the demo workshops (right now, these only provide partial information)."

What is our primary use case?

We have 3 XM instances and have integration between the below environments:

All the instances are a combination of on-premises and SaaS services.

The primary role is to notify the appropriate resource which reduces the time to notify and further reduces the time to resolution and overall MTTR.

When a Sev-1 is generated, the alert gets generated to the appropriate support group which leads to contacting the right SME to initiate the MTTR process.

How has it helped my organization?

The initial stage of identifying the right SME was a challenge. This led us to delay notifying the right SME and start working upon the restoration of service.

After implementing the solution and updating the groups/on-call list we have seen a huge volume of increase in the Time of React. This helps us to alert the right resources within a fraction of seconds (after the alert is generated) which allows for quick notification and a faster restoration process.

The request also gets assigned to the resource which avoids SLA breaches.

What is most valuable?

There are multiple features within this product that help, including:

1- Integration between multiple products (makes it easy to notify the alert)

2- Seamless process of on-boarding resources on the XM platform

3- Groups creation and resource mapping to the appropriate groups

4- Easy steps to set up the on-call schedule

5- The on-call list includes an auto-rotation feature which helps us to avoid visiting the app to change the on-call list week by week

6- Simple features create flow sets and build APIs for integrations

7- Reporting that helps to get the right volume of alerts

8- Dashboards that help to view the status of the alerts

9- Logs in the alert also help to identify the details and root cause

What needs improvement?

1- Duplicating the Groups

2- Weekly/monthly notifications to the admin on the licenses consumed vs available

3- Bulk update of groups

4- Early product enhancements should be added in the next sprint/release

5- An additional knowledge-sharing program could be helpful and part of the demo workshops (right now, these only provide partial information)

6- Identify real-time issues and have OOTB templates related to use cases

7- BEing able to update the same event, rather than creating a new one which would avoid confusion on multiple events created for the same alert

I've used the solution for 4 or more years.

As of now, we haven't had any downtime - the app being a SaaS platform. It clearly mentions the Infra and the service provided is 100%.

We did not use a different solution previously.

We would advise new users to reach out to the XM sales teams for a better quote.

We did not evaluate other options.

Hybrid Cloud