IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Download the Cloud Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront?

VMware Tanzu Observability is a high-performance streaming analytics platform. It enables observability for metrics, counters, histograms, and traces/spans. Because it scales to very large data ingestion rates and query loads, the product is unique in its field. You can collect data from a variety of services and sources across your entire application stack, as well as examine details for earlier ingested data. After sending your data to your Wavefront instance, you may examine your data on custom dashboards, receive alerts on problem values, and do anomaly detection and forecasting.

VMware Tanzu Observability can support over 200 integrations, including cloud providers, DevOps tools, big data, and others. You can utilize the platform’s sophisticated Graphical User Interface to connect with the Wavefront service, which includes several pre-built dashboards, charts, and alerts. SDKs, the Wavefront REST API, and CLIs are also accessible on our Github website. Additionally, there are tight integrations with Spring Boot, Kubernetes, and Tanzu Mission Control.

VMware Tanzu Observability Features

VMware Tanzu Observability has many valuable key features. Some of the most useful ones include:

• Analytics: Advanced query language helps you save time and money.
  • API: API with a lot of flexibility for effective alerting and visualization.
  • Architecture: Enterprise-scale performance in real time.
  • Dashboards and charts: Use dashboards and charts to visualize the data. Filters and functions can help you find exactly what you're looking for. Use aggregation functions like sum() or average to combine multiple time series. Use dashboard variables to adjust the focus of a dashboard or combine functions to show or hide some of the information. A variable, for example, could be used to display the production or development environment. Choose from a variety of chart types (line plot, point plot, table, etc.)
  • Alerts: You can build alerts directly from charts and customize them to detect problems. The solution will send you alert notifications with details and a chart graphic if you've set up an alert with customized information.
  • Queries: You can extract exactly the information you need using the Wavefront query language (WQL). You can personalize your charts with filters and functions so that the signal stands out among the noise.
  • Distributed Tracing tool: Use Distributed Tracing to interact with a service map, inspect traces and spans, and drill down into problematic areas.
  • Various setup methods:

• Cloud: Perform the bare minimum of configuration to allow the Wavefront service to access data in your cloud environment. As a result, data from cloud services can be directly ingested.

• Integrations: VMware Tanzu Observability supports more than 200 integrations with different data sources. You just need to change a single configuration file and you're ready to go.

• Start from where you are: If your environment already has a metrics infrastructure, you can pre-process the data to match the Wavefront Data Format and transmit it to the Wavefront proxy directly.

• Direct Ingestion: Direct ingestion is the best option in some circumstances.
    • Histograms: Wavefront histograms may be the best answer for high-velocity measures.
    • App monitoring with distributed tracing: For traces, the product supports Jaeger and Zipkin, as well as any OpenTracing-instrumented applications. You can also use one of our SDKs to transmit custom traces. The Application Map GUI makes it simple to explore trace data, RED metrics, and other metrics.

VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront was previously known as Wavefront, Wavefront by VMware, VMware Tanzu Observability .

VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront Customers

Box, Intuit, Workday, Groupon, British Gas, SpaceApe, Marketo, DoordDash, Lyft

VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront Video

Archived VMware Tanzu Observability by Wavefront Reviews (more than two years old)

Krishna_Reddy - PeerSpot reviewer
VMware Technology Specialist, Product Manager at Taashee
Good stability but overall still needs more technology enhancements and better automation
  • "No issues with stability."
  • "It could use a URL document server. Everything in the market is moving towards automation and everybody's looking for the single click operations as well relational data locality."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for its applications, like the ELN import application. There are a few internal applications appropriate for future growth and they can start doing the high-end configuration already. We wanted to test all the capabilities of vSAN in VMware.

What needs improvement?

It could use a URL document server. Everything in the market is moving towards automation and everybody's looking for the single click operations as well relational data locality. The virtualization could be improved.

I've been familiar with Wavefront for 10 years.

We haven't had any issues with stability.
Cloud Monitoring Software
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Datadog, Amazon and others in Cloud Monitoring Software. Updated: June 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

In terms of scalability, we are small. Later on, we will just increase the data set up.

We have never needed to contact technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. Since we are techno-handy guys we don't fail but it could be more complicated for new guys.

It’s in INR. Our data is on four sites and these are in the development phase. Different locations require different setups. In your terms, around 300 to around 400K USD. Additionally, Nutanix is giving compression size and VXL this switch thing. And along with the hardware and software, and their expertise, so up to another 100K USD.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1 - 10, I give it a 7. This is because a lot of things need to be adapted. They just need more capability. A few areas still need more enhancements in the technology capability space.

Sysops Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides the relevant metrics that we need to monitor our systems and the environment
  • "The most valuable aspects of the solution are its ease of use and its ease of implementation."
  • "They could make it more easy to plug-in data so that a nontechnical person will be able to use it, like accountants or finance people. That way they don't have to ask us."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for KPI metrics. We use the aggregation of metrics, and get alerts about the numbers behind the data that we have.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to have a dashboard of key items for a few departments and teams in our company have improved our organization. The solution provides the relevant metrics that I need to monitor our systems and the environment. The log space and log aggregation KPIs help us to have a better way to see where we're at in terms of threshold monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of the solution are its ease of use and its ease of implementation.

What needs improvement?

Authentication is probably there already, but if it isn't, it should be added. Integration should be in there. They could make it more easy to plug-in data so that a nontechnical person will be able to use it, like accountants or finance people. That way they don't have to ask us.

The solution should integrate AI elements. Instead of opening a file with a template and filling things out, have the AI ask questions, and then let it fill it out.

The stability of the solution is good. I've never heard of anyone saying "It failed." There's no problem. It's there, just like any other cache application. You don't have to maintain it in your data center. I don't even think much about the stability because I know the solution can handle it.

I've never used the solution's technical support.

We previously used Splunk. We did not want to put more load on our existing monitor systems. Also, putting metrics into it was not within the reach of a lot of people. It requires a little bit more experience and knowledge to do it in Splunk. Wavefront is much easier in this regard.

We wanted to bridge the experience gap by seeing the right dashboard. When we were trying to come up with a solution we had a project to have a single pane for monitoring. That was three years ago. Then we implemented Wavefront.

The reason for the implementation came down to cost and usability.

What other advice do I have?

Wavefront gives us the complexity we need, instead of spending time coming up with a nice dashboard from some other means, or just creating and coding our own app.

The solution enables you to run your microservices to optimize the application. The people that are responsible for our microservices appreciate that. When we talk about microservices, just the ability to help in log analysis is a big plus. It's been a while since I saw the company's microservices dashboard, but there are some reports from Wavefront that help in giving them a better view of business processes.

The chart or dashboard creation processes are very easy. It gives us the ability to just plug and place things.

There's a very little learning curve for the solution. It's easy. Any technologist should be able to see how beneficial it is and how manageable and easy it is to use.

For smaller companies, the solution should consider the cost-factor and offer some better deals. For me, as a technologist, I like things when they work. I don't want to be maintaining my own scripts, or my own in-house applications. We don't have time to develop in-house applications nowadays anyway. We're just wasting our time. The traditional model is gone and Wavefront is right there with modern companies in delivering solutions to them. Basically, you have an entire company doing engineering for you. If I were a company or a technologist that has been given a chance to do something like this, I'd go for it. I hope the entry cost gets better for smaller to mid-sized companies such as where I work.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Cloud Monitoring Software
June 2022
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr Virtualization Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Scales well and our customers are pleased, but the implementation takes a long time

What is our primary use case?

We do not use this solution directly. Rather, we provide a platform for people to run it. We are the virtualization engineers, and we interface with this solution.

Our experience is with a private cloud deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Wavefront, we have been able to reduce the complexity of our pipeline.

Our mean time to remediation has been reduced.

What needs improvement?

The implementation is a long process that should be improved.

The application scales well.

During the implementation, the internal processes take longer for us than the actual application. This includes the storage, provisioning and all of the resources required to actually run the application.

What other advice do I have?

My suggestion for anybody who is implementing this solution is to have all of the requirements ahead of time. That way, it can increase the time to market.

People are very pleased with the implementation.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Principle Product Manager at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Great querying and alerting capabilities but it has a high learning curve
  • "The features I find most valuable is the querying and alerting capabilities."
  • "In the new version, I would love to see more prediction capabilities. It would be great if one could see the alerts get a little more enriched with information and become more human-friendly instead of the technical stuff that they put in there. I think those would be really awesome outcomes to get."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Wavefront is for metrics alerting. We use the SaaS offering.

How has it helped my organization?

Wavefront's monitoring tools and visibility into public cloud platforms are competing with the best out there. It helps us monitor our services and it gives us the alerting capabilities we need. We have, however, not used their prebuilt dashboards in terms of incident resolution yet.

I believe that the SDK-based approach in terms of its capability and adoption by developers is the right way to go because I think it is easier for developers to pull in an SDK and instrument decode and get the data and the telemetry that they need.

I wouldn't say that the solution reduced the complexity of the pipeline, but it certainly helped us get the data that we have in a single place.

We also plan to use the solution's new chart customization and dashboard customization soon. We also plan to test it for microservices-based deployment soon.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable is the querying and alerting capabilities because it enables us to write enriched alerts that are meaningful for our developers to respond to.

What needs improvement?

I would also like it if alerts were easier. It's really easy to drown in alerts. So what the developers of Wavefront could do, is to correlate different types of alerts to bring a much more enriched incident. That would be an interesting thing to look at. Predicting a problem beforehand could also be improved since Wavefront has all the data of metrics in its store. I would like to know if something is wrong so that I can go and look at it. I would like to use the AIML approach to predict problems for the user other than the users trying to figure out what the problems are themselves. I would love to see a change in that direction.

The solution is very stable.

I believe that Wavefront is able to scale to our needs. So far it helps us with our footprint.

We have our own customer service team, which helps us resolve issues as and when they arise, so we are pretty happy with that model.

I was not part of the initial decision-making process as to what made us choose this solution, but I think the issue we had, was that we were trying to bring visibility into our applications and this was one of the tools that was out there that could help us get to our goals. So far, the solution's learning curve has been pretty high. I think with the new experience it may be lower, but for anybody new, that was the biggest challenge that we faced.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to test Wavefront and see how it works for them. I don't want to rate the solution, because I feel neutral about it.

Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Centralized management for multiple environments from a single pane of glass
  • "This solution allows me to have true visibility for any metrics when it comes to my cloud, and private."
  • "I would like to see integration with Kubernetes cluster and APIs so that you can manage the entire stack."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for monitoring and customer demos. We have a hybrid cloud deployment with Amazon.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows me to have true visibility for any metrics when it comes to my cloud, and private. It allows me to move workloads between the two of them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the way you can monitor multiple environments including cloud, hybrid cloud, and private cloud. We also like the way you can do the right sizing.

The monitoring and visibility into public cloud platforms are actually very good. You don't have to manage any infrastructure for the monitoring, as everything is provided for you. On AWS you can monitor everything from S3 to EC2 instances.

The pre-built dashboards are great for incident resolution. They help me to troubleshoot because of the metrics that they provide.

What needs improvement?

This solution is a software service (SaaS), so we do not have to manage it.

Scalability does not really apply because it is provided as SaaS.

We did use another solution prior to this one, but I realized that I do not want to manage infrastructure anymore. This one is cloud-based and logs the analytics and stuff like that. I can just access them from anywhere.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, based on the instructions.

We implemented this solution in-house.

The fact that you can come to a solution faster because everything is within one dashboard automatically gives you ROI.

If I were to compare the cost of this solution to a traditional one, I think it's a consolidation of price, where everything is in one, versus having separate applications modules for the same thing. It achieves the same outcome, pretty much.

We considered solutions by Cisco in addition to this one. We were already a VMware customer, which is why we chose this product.

What other advice do I have?

Using this solution has helped to reduce our mean time to remediation because it helps to pinpoint where the bottleneck or the root cause of the problem is.

This solution allows us to monitor microservices based on ports and stuff like that. You can see when those ports die and know where the problem is.

We have used the chart and dashboard customization features, and they are pretty easy to use if you know your metrics. The customization makes it easier to visualize what you are already looking for. They help me get to the root cause faster.

In terms of easy, medium, or hard, I would say that the learning curve for this solution is medium.

This solution will give you a single pane of glass for everything, and centralized monitoring. However, it is still not a very mature product. Is has been out for two years and is not fully baked-in.

Download our free Cloud Monitoring Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about VMware, Datadog, Amazon, and more!
Updated: June 2022