VMware Carbon Black App Control OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

VMware Carbon Black App Control is the #2 ranked solution in top Application Control tools. PeerSpot users give VMware Carbon Black App Control an average rating of 10.0 out of 10. VMware Carbon Black App Control is most commonly compared to McAfee Application Control: VMware Carbon Black App Control vs McAfee Application Control. VMware Carbon Black App Control is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
VMware Carbon Black App Control Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware Carbon Black App Control Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is VMware Carbon Black App Control?

Carbon Black is a leading provider of next-generation endpoint security. Carbon Black serves more than 3,700 customers globally, including 33 of the Fortune 100. As a cybersecurity innovator, Carbon Black has a strong heritage of innovative technology leadership in multiple endpoint security categories, including application control, endpoint detection and response (EDR), and next-generation antivirus (NGAV). Leveraging its big data and analytics cloud platform - the Cb Predictive Security Cloud - Carbon Black solutions enable customers to defend against the most advanced cyber threats, including malware, ransomware, and non-malware attacks. Deployed via the cloud, on premise, or as a managed service, customers use Carbon Black solutions to lock down critical systems, hunt threats, and replace legacy antivirus.

VMware Carbon Black App Control was previously known as CB Protection, Carbon Black CB Protection.

VMware Carbon Black App Control Customers
Kaas Tailored, Core-Mark, Indeed, Hologic, Landmark Credit Union, Project Worldwide
VMware Carbon Black App Control Video

Archived VMware Carbon Black App Control Reviews (more than two years old)

Kostia Tkachov - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Security Solutions Engineer at Softprom
Good API integration and technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to put our servers in lockdown.

What is most valuable?

Carbon Black AppControl can protect any endpoint, and also on an EOL system. The solution allows only approved applications to be executed on the system.

The Open API allows us to freely combine different security systems into a single group and save time when responding to security incidents.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup is somewhat complex.

We have been dealing with VMware Carbon Black App Control for one year. During this time we have already made sure that this is the best solution to protect our user machines and servers.

Check Point Application Control vs. VMware Carbon Black App Control
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Check Point Application Control vs. VMware Carbon Black App Control and other solutions. Updated: November 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Technical support is good.

I would rate them a ten out of ten.

The initial setup seemed a bit complicated to me.

It was a while back, and I may have taken a day or two to deploy it.

We need one engineer to maintain this product.

What other advice do I have?

Carbon Black is a good product and one that I can recommend.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Cyber Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good application whitelisting capability and offers visibility into attacks as they happen
  • "The effectiveness of application whitelisting is very good."
  • "The reporting is not good and needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for server architecture protection. We have both virtual and physical servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Carbon Black offers a total lockdown solution. It shows us the attacks that are being attempted against our infrastructure, and how it is that we are being protected.

What is most valuable?

The effectiveness of application whitelisting is very good.

The details it provides have a high degree of granularity. I can perform an in-depth asset event analysis and do an effective application whitelisting.

What needs improvement?

The reporting is not good and needs to be improved. It is plain and unattractive, and you need to do a lot of sorting to get it done. Having some form of executive management reporting, in case we need to present it to the board, would be helpful. The current reports are simply too plain for that.

I have been using Carbon Black App Control for two years.

Stability-wise, this is a great solution.

This product is very scalable. One time, we had to increase the memory in the server. Otherwise, it is very scalable and works well.

We are planning to increase usage to cover our entire ATM infrastructure in the long-term.

The support from the vendor is not so good, so most of the time, we engage the OEM. The support provided by the manufacturer is very good.

The initial setup was straightforward because we had the assistance of the OEM while deploying it. The process was not complex at all.

Our deployment took more than four months because we have to do an event analysis on a daily basis. We also have a large number of assets.

The OEM assisted us during our deployment, and there were five people involved including our side. Our side included the server owners, somebody from infrastructure, and the compliance team.

We have a team of three people who take care of the maintenance. Only my team, handling security, regularly uses the product. We did give view-only access to the compliance team, as well.

This is a good system that delivers on its proposed value.

We pay a fee for support, which is renewed annually.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering Carbon Black App Control is that it is a good solution, and probably one of the best application whitelisting solutions in the industry. However, you need to have a very scalable infrastructure for it. I would suggest using a virtual environment rather than an on-premies one, where you can scale as much as you need to.

Overall, it delivers well on the proposed value and my only complaint is about the reporting.

Check Point Application Control vs. VMware Carbon Black App Control
November 2022
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Gian Michele Roletto - PeerSpot reviewer
SOC Manager at Nais Srl
A competitively-priced solution with a console that is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use Carbon Black to protect our customers against security threats and attacks. We examine all of the issues in the customers' environment and determine whether they are real threats or false positives.

What is most valuable?

I use the console to check for threats and I find it to be very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the addition of some more features that are in other, similar solutions.

We have been using CB Protection for between one and two years.

This is a stable solution and it is used on a daily basis.

I find Carbon Black easy to scale. Our customers are medium and large companies and we have approximately ten people who work with it.

The technical support is good. We sometimes have to open tickets for our customers and the response is very fast. Normally, they help us to solve problems quickly.

When I search online for solutions to problems that I encounter, I have always found good documentation.

My colleague performed the setup.

The pricing for this product is competitive and our customers who told us that often, Carbon Back is the cheaper solution.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and one that I recommend.

Private Cloud

Other
IT Security at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offers a sense of security that any malicious malware is going to be blocked
  • "If any malicious activity, like VAT viruses, anything RNE, ZOD malware, or something similar, comes in we know that unless we approve it, it's going to be blocked."
  • "Another issue is that even sometimes if you approve, for example, Adobe as a publisher, you say any product or anything that's from Adobe has to run. It generally runs, but especially in a large environment and with a lot of users, sometimes, due to some certification validation issues or some other issue, it might stop the process from running. Genuine processes like Adobe and Chrome can get blocked. so that needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is to have an application wide listing solution. It's primarily to prevent unauthorized or unapproved applications from running on a user location.

How has it helped my organization?

If any malicious activity, like VAT viruses, anything RNE, ZOD malware, or something similar comes in we know that unless we approve it, it's going to be blocked.

What is most valuable?

It won't let anything in that is not approved. We would need to manually approve it. It offers a sense of security where anything that comes in, regardless of what it is, unless you approve it manually, it's not going to run.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of false positives where it comes to stuff like the operating system itself, like Microsoft. At first, there was no standard of false positive, that it blocks a lot of store apps and a lot of new processes.

Another issue is that even sometimes if you approve, for example, Adobe as a publisher, you say any product or anything that's from Adobe has to run. It generally runs, but especially in a large environment and with a lot of users, sometimes, due to some certification validation issues or some other issue, it might stop the process from running. Genuine processes like Adobe and Chrome can get blocked, so that needs to be improved.

I would like for them to develop proper support for Mac OS because currently the Mac OS does not have all the features and it's a bit of a hassle. I'd like to see better support and better integration of the product with Mac OS.

Stability is good.

Scalability is good. We have 2,500 users. You need a few staff for maintenance. Once you've set it up and it's fairly stable you just need a couple of people to go through and look at issues and user complaints. We're using it pretty extensively compared to other solutions.

Their technical support is very good.

Initially, if it's a new company, the initial setup is straightforward, but if you're running a lot of applications it requires a lot of profiling or fingerprinting.

When I joined the company it was already integrated but from what I understand it took three to six months to implement.

The entry security level that we have where we don't have to invest in other heavy products for endpoint is some ROI that we see from having this solution.

Pricing could be a bit lower. The new players that we have in the market can do both antivirus, anti-malware, and also application wide listings within the app. Suppliers will have to be competitive moving forward.

What other advice do I have?

You need the technical skills, the know-how, and also you have to be on the product. You might lose a lot of time if genuine files are blocked. Look at the problem, look at the log, then actually try to solve it for users.

I would rate this solution a seven and a half out of ten.