IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Veritas NetBackup Appliance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Veritas NetBackup Appliance is #6 ranked solution in top Deduplication Software and #18 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. PeerSpot users give Veritas NetBackup Appliance an average rating of 7.4 out of 10. Veritas NetBackup Appliance is most commonly compared to DD Boost: Veritas NetBackup Appliance vs DD Boost. Veritas NetBackup Appliance is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
Veritas NetBackup Appliance Buyer's Guide

Download the Veritas NetBackup Appliance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Veritas NetBackup Appliance?
The NetBackup Appliances feature the entire NetBackup Platform suite on performance a single turnkey solution for backup, storage, and deduplication. Deploying an appliance when refreshing media servers, consolidating point products, protecting remote offices, or modernizing protection in the data center reduces operating expenses and integration complexity.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance was previously known as NetBackup Appliance.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance Customers
Beta Offshore
Veritas NetBackup Appliance Video

Veritas NetBackup Appliance Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Veritas NetBackup Appliance pricing:
  • "I cannot say whether our licensing costs are on a monthly or annual basis, as we have a global contract."
  • "Appliances do not come cheaply."
  • "Veritas NetBackup Appliance is priced well compared to other solutions."
  • Veritas NetBackup Appliance Reviews

Assistant Vice President Information Technology at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Combines two solutions for use of our backup environment
    • "The most valuable feature involves VMware Instant Recovery, which allows one to do restoration within seconds."
    • "The upgrade process of the solution needs to be improved since it is extremely complicated, especially without the benefit of a support person who can guide one through it."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to back up everything we have, including SQL backup, Oracle, and VMware. It works very well. We like the solution and its price when compared with others. Data Domain and Veeam were fine, presenting the optimal solutions with the best prices. There was a period of many months that we had a lot of performance issues with Veritas NetBack Appliances, but since the upgrading has taken place it has worked very well. We do not encounter issues that are critical and the solution functions smoothly.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is the best for me, as it combines two solutions for use of our backup environment. Before 2016 we employed two solutions and it is now easier for us to manage our environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature involves VMware Instant Recovery, which allows one to do restoration within seconds. It is very nice. We use it a lot for restoring VM.

What needs improvement?

The upgrade process of the solution needs to be improved since it is extremely complicated, especially without the benefit of a support person who can guide one through it. This can result in many problems. Occasionally we encounter issues with the backup process which necessitate support from Veritas. Consequently, I would highlight the upgrade process as being in need of improvement.

We hope to see SQL Instant Recovery in the 9.0 version. It is the same as VMware Instant Recovery but its restoration processes are very fast, with the ability to handle a terabyte of data in a single minute.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance
    July 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Veritas NetBackup Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
    621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup Appliance since 2015.

I consider the product to be good and very stable, although there are many things in need of improvement, such as the upgrade process.

From the research we conducted, scalability seems good, but I cannot properly comment on this point as the size of our environment is very small.

I feel technical support could be better. When we first started making use of the solution, we had the benefit of local support in Brazil, but today this is only an option in the United States. The support is okay, but it can take a while to receive a definitive answer. One must go through the first layer of support before being escalated, a time-consuming process. Nowadays, I consider the support to be okay, not bad, but it used to be better.

Prior to our use of Veritas NetBackup Appliance, in 2016, we utilized Avamar. Though Avamar was a good solution and worked well, we encountered many instances of interruption in data transmission. It was, initially, a good tool, with a good appliance workflow. However, the Avamar that has been made available within the past five years does not provide a good window to sync data with Veritas NetBackup Appliance. This process is time consuming, which necessitated our use of two applications for managing our backup environment. Once we switched from Avamar to Veritas Netbackup Appliance there was no more need for two applications and these were replaced with a single one for the entire management of our backup environment.

The initial setup is okay. It is not very difficult. While the planning stage requires the use of much Veritas material, it's easy. This is because we are talking about an appliance which has everything predefined or preconfigured.

The deployment took a long time. I believe that the process lasted a month-and-a-half. This is because it required us to do many validations, as we were replacing our solution.

The department we engaged to assist us with the installation and appliance configurations of the solution was very helpful and we did not encounter any problems. The implementation was extremely nice. I should point out that when we bought the Appliance we didn't use NetBackup and everything was new to us. This said, we had to do much configuration and planning, as we were buying not only the appliance but the solution as well.

I cannot say whether our licensing costs are on a monthly or annual basis, as we have a global contract.

As the solution is towards the end of its life, we are looking to replace it with a new or different one. While we are considering the Data Domain by Dell EMC, we are also looking at an Appliance solution. This is because the Data Domain will still require the use of NetBackup, but will serve the purpose of acting as a storage destination. We will only use NetBackup as it relates to the Data Domain. I know much about the application and we are looking to book solutions here. We would be able to take all of our knowledge of Appliance, but to use NetBackup software for third party storage.

Prior to going with Veritas NetBackup Appliance in 2016, we evaluated two other solutions, one of which was Data Domain. However, at the time, we decided to go with Veritas NetBackup Appliance because it offered better pricing than the other vendors, with Data Domain serving as an illustrative example.

What other advice do I have?

We have a total of three people working on the Veritas NetBackup Appliance environment, two for the short and one for the long retention.

The size of the backup is very important. If this is not accounted for in the beginning of the appliance stage, many problems can arise. This was the case in our use of Dell EMC and Avamar and with all other backup solutions. With Appliance we encountered site problems, Appliance did not work well with HashBackup and there were many backups which used batch files, something that led to compression and deduplication of the data. This required us to replace or dump files so that we could use an agent for providing a direct connection to the database server software.

Once we changed the size of the backup, the problem was solved. The issue addressed is present not only with Veritas NetBackup Appliance, but with any solution that possesses deduplication architecture.

I rate Veritas NetBackup Appliance as an eight out of ten.

Muksith Thangal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Backup and Storage Specialist at a sports company with 501-1,000 employees
    Great deduplication and robust hardware, but quite technical to operate
    • "I can confidently say that I have managed more than 30 or 50 appliances over different time periods, and yet I never had a single hardware failure."
    • "In terms of implementing the solution, it's quite technical. You need to be knowledgable in order to pull off a successful deployment."

What is most valuable?

The deduplication that is on this solution is its most valuable aspect. It's very robust.

Overall, how the operating system is tuned is perfect.

The hardware on offer has no parallel. I would say that it has been more than eight years now, and in all that time, I haven't had a single hard disk failure or even hardware failure on this appliance. It's in excellent condition and works perfectly.

I can confidently say that I have managed more than 30 or 50 appliances over different time periods, and yet I never had a single hardware failure.

What needs improvement?

It is a very robust and very good product from the appliance point of view, as well as the software point of view, however, you need to have a certain level of skills in order to operate it properly. You need to be experienced at a certain level to easily manage everything. In that sense, it's not straightforward.

It's very difficult, for example, if you need to analyze the logs. If you don't know what you're doing, if you're not very experienced, you will find it very difficult to do things yourself. It's an enterprise-level solution, after all, and it has a lot of things to do. That might be the reason why it is like this. It's not for entry-level people.

We've been using the solution since about 2011. It's been almost a decade.

I would say that it is very stable. Obviously, I had faced a lot of issues. I can't say that it is an issueless solution, however, it is very stable. You can rely on it.

Basically, I never go with the latest version. I tend to go with N minus one - one version below. That way, if there are any issues with the latest version, I'll just give time. I wait at least six months for the vendor to sort everything out before I implement it into our production environment. At that point, I would say that it is very stable. Most of the time, the issue might not be on the solution or on the appliance side. It might be on the client-side.

In terms of scalability, you can scale it up. You just need to buy the hardware. That's the only constraint. You need to buy an appliance and just add it. Basically, as long as you have the appliance or hardware, it's very easy to scale out.

I've had vast experience with technical support.

Most of the time, I'm pretty happy with their support. I would say that there were a few instances where I was not satisfied with the support that I received, however, overall, I would say that at least 70 to 80% of the time I am quite happy with the support.

I've worked with many different solutions. A lot of them are at the top of the industry. However, I prefer NetBackup above the others.

If you know what you're doing, it's a very easy initial setup. First-timers always find it difficult. That said, if you're using a GUI, it's very straightforward. You can just photo screen. However, if you're an experienced user, you'ld probably prefer to do it on the command line, for which you need to know what you're doing.

What other advice do I have?

We're not using the latest version of the solution. We're using N minus one.

As an enterprise-level solution, you may need a bigger team to manage it, depending on your organization's size. We need a big team. Basically, it depends on the size of the solution. In the past 10 years, I've worked in different companies. At one time, we had around 10 appliances, and we had multiple people managing everything.

One guy alone will not be able to manage it, though it depends on the sizing. Basically, if you know there is a good guy who knows the in and out of an appliance, if it is one appliance and depending on how many machines we are backing up, he might be okay. There are lot of factors that have to be considered when building a team that can handle it.

My advice to other would be, if your environment is big enough, to be aware that your biggest major expense is the on-premise solution. Even though we have top cloud solutions, if you're on-premise, if the infrastructure is on-premise and it's a large enough infrastructure, and if you have a good team to manage, the best, the most dependable solution would be NetBackup. That's considering all the other big players. I'm talking about the enterprise level, where we need to manage more than 200, 300 machines, or 300 VMs, or 300 servers, and then you need to protect these machines.

Based on the options that we have, and based on the enterprise solutions that are in the market, there are maybe five to 10 big players. Out of that, I would say that NetBackup would rank either first or second. I have personal experience with some of the other products too, or I have reviewed most of them basically.

Based on my experience, even though I had multiple choices or options to move out of NetBackup, after reviewing everything, I went back to NetBackup or I decided, okay, fine, I'll renew NetBackup.

Overall, I'd rate the solution at seven out of ten. There are lots of things that can be done from the administrative point of view that, if accomplished, would rank them higher.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance
    July 2022
    621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    ICT-architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Good deduplication and good stability with helpful technical support
    • "The initial setup gets easier the more you do it."
    • "The configuration can sometimes be tricky during implementation."

What is our primary use case?

With the NetBackup solution, we have a Flex Appliance in the central data center, which we use to backup remote sites. We will first do a local copy to a virtual appliance, and then to do a copy of the one network to the central appliances.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable technical feature for us is the deduplication ratio. This is a very important aspect in order to have a remote site backup. The advantage of the solution is that they provide agents for all types of databases and applications that are included in the solution.

The initial setup wasn't overly complex.

Technical support has been helpful over the years.

The initial setup gets easier the more you do it.

What needs improvement?

If you compare the solution to, for example, Dell Data Domain, it looks that the deduplication ratio is even higher than what we have on NetBackup. If they want to improve, then they should look at the deduplication ratio in future versions.

The configuration can sometimes be tricky during implementation.

If the features could be complete in that they can work on all systems, all operating systems, that would be ideal. We have a lot of diversity and integrations to the cloud. This means, for example, if your Flex Appliances are not sufficient, you, for example, can offload to Azure Cloud. I know in some devices it's already possible. However, it's not universally the case.

Today, if we have to implement it as software, if we are talking about virtual appliances, we need to implement it as software. However, it could also be developed as a package, so that you just have to mount it and to have the service. That would also be an advantage.

We are a big company, and we have been using this solution already for multiple years. It's my understanding that we've used it for maybe five to six years.

The appliances that we are using with NetBackup are on our virtual private cloud. For a lot of other customers, they are using it as well for the remote site backup. Of course, we have plans to sell it more to customers and to also increase our usage amount - including the number of devices, the amount of software, and so on, that is needed.

The technical support is not bad. We have a partner contact channel, where we can log cases and communicate with them. We're quite satisfied with the level of support we get and the amount of access we have.

We've also used HPE.

The initial setup wasn't complex. It was pretty straightforward.

First of all, we have done it already a couple of times. That helps. You get used to it. Also, in one of our latest projects, we received assistance as well, from Veritas NetBackup. They were on hand to configure it correctly.

We have had Veritas help us with implementations. They assist in the configuration aspect of the process.

However, for the most part, we are a consultancy and service company ourselves, and therefore we have the needed resources in-house to handle most implementations ourselves.

We have a contract, a global contract, and we are providing services using that contract to different customers. However, I cannot say how much that costs us on a monthly or yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We are an integrator and consultant.

While we tend to start by using the latest version of the solution, we may use various versions. I'm not sure which versions we are using right now.

We have a combination of different deployment types.

My advice to others is that you should have a solution that can cover a lot of things. Especially if you look for the deduplication functionality. It's very important that you check that it's valid for complete virtual environments or VMware environments or Hyper-V environments. You can use it as a complete solution, meaning that you can have the full chain where you want to have deduplicated data streams and data storage locations. Users need to make sure that it is fitting on everything. Whatever a company chooses, they need to make sure before they start they aren't missing anything that they absolutely need.

With Veritas, you have the deduplication software and you have the Flex Appliances, and so on. I have learned also that there is some interesting functionality in the physical appliance as well, and that's not always known by teams of people. It could be useful as a DR solution, for example.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It does fill the requirements. The basic things are there. However, I have learned that other solutions have a higher deduplication ratio. If Veritas NetBackup would also come with a better deduplication ratio in the future I would rank it higher.

Lead Technical Architect/Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Our experience matches the popular reports that this is one of the top three backup solutions
    • "It has been our go-to product for backup."
    • "The desirability of appliance solutions is dwindling in the marketplace."

What is our primary use case?

We do not have a dedicated NetBackup Appliance.  Instead, we deploy through VMware.

We are actually in the process of migrating everything to the cloud and we are trying to bring our on-premises exposure down to zero. We have yet to see where we will end up with that effort.

Our primary use of NetBackup is for backups. But there are all different types of data that are less critical in the backup requirements in any organization. We use Vertias for on-premises data backup. Gradually, we will have more need for cloud data backup.

We are looking into appliances for running things on the Docker Container. If we do not have a large number of servers and MSDP (Multicast Source Discovery Protocol), basically we can use service tools or fixed appliances that will allow offloading or streamlining our backup solutions.

Most organizations are going to the cloud. The on-premises backup solution is not very interesting anymore.

What is most valuable?

In our legacy system, Veritas was the number one product for us in many ways to fill our backup requirements. If you have got something like IBM mainframes, for example, then you want to definitely use a Veritas type solution. It has been our go-to product for on-premises backup.

What needs improvement?

If you have got a NetBackup Appliance, then you have many options. For example, you can do LTR (Long Term Retention) busted out to the cloud. If you have got longtime retentions then you can do that as an option.

When you use appliances then you need to make the investment. They do not give it to you cheaply. So, this investment is an RTO (Recovery Time Objective). People who would like not to have this as their objective prefer to go for more of an on-demand solution, like the cloud. Most of the organizations I see are going to the cloud and they escape the physical architecture to minimize investment in their local data center as much as possible.

So we, in turn, are currently using the VMware on an appliance, but we are planning to go through the process of decommissioning as much hardware as possible for our solutions. We would like to do that as quickly as possible.

We have got sufficient backup windows to complete proper backup points. That is not a critical issue for us.

Scalability is about having the data volume metrics and backup windows available to complete the process. So you need to have sufficient backup windows compared to your volume metrics. Other scalability issues may come into play when you want to just recover with a given RTO (Recovery Time Objective). But it is very uncommon in reality that you will recover from the backup. In the last three years, there was not a single case of recovery from backup. The backup and recovery end up being more for legal obligations than for reality.

We did our own VMware-based deployment.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Veritas NetBackup Appliance well. Going from our experience and the popular reports, it is one of the top three backup solutions. But the higher ranking is also based on being an appliance and that is not a growing part of the market.

The product itself, I think, would be nine-out-of-ten. But the future market for the product will dwindle.

Solutions Consultant at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    MSP
    Consistent with excellent support and great expansion capabilities
    • "It’s quite scalable."
    • "Depending on the setup structure, it can be complex to implement."

What is our primary use case?

For me, the main use case was as an on-premise data center backup, mainly in the Unix space with Oracle. That was the main reason to use it. I know it's got a capability in the cloud, however, we haven't used it in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The consistency of using it over a long period of time has been excellent. The big one for me is when you're dealing with database backups, particularly. I’ve used it for Oracle and SAN, and I’ve used it a lot. It’s been great.

The solution is stable.

It’s quite scalable.

What needs improvement?

Depending on the setup structure, it can be complex to implement.

In my case, it's an enterprise environment, and they're always complicated. There's no way to get around there. With Backup Exec, everything is on Windows, and you don't have to worry about it. However, if there's going to be a critical Oracle database on the Unix system and then you're going to have new Windows and the Linux, it is going to be complicated. There's no way around it, particularly with the customers.

I’ve used the solution on and off for 20 years. It’s been a very long time.

I'd say it's very stable. I use it specifically for enterprise customers. Small customers use Backup Exec. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn’t crash or freeze.

The product is extremely scalable. Expanding is not an issue at all.

We’re a large SME. 1,000 people or more are using it.

In my new role, I have no plans to increase usage.

Tech support has usually been good when we've had disasters, or we need to do recovery. Support has been good and we’ve been able to get access to them. We’ve been satisfied with their level of assistance overall.

With NetBackup, just setting it out to different server times and nothing else is okay. Other things are a bit more complicated.

That said, it’s been eight years since I’ve done a live deployment. We got the appliance and had to set everything up.

I was working with a consultant on the last setup I did.

I’m not sure what the latest pricing models are.

What other advice do I have?

I mainly use the on-premies version of the deployment. I don’t typically deal with cloud deployment.

We’re always using the latest version of the solution.

I would recommend the solution to others for enterprise on-premise.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.

RishiPandit - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead - Technical Services at Impetus
    Good for replication and network performance but the technical documentation should be easier to read
    • "I personally find Veritas NetBackup Applicance hassle-free."
    • "Veritas NetBackup would benefit from better explained error codes."

What is most valuable?

I personally find Veritas NetBackup Appliance hassle-free. All that is needed is a web control or Java control to operate the NetBackup software, and I don't need to take care of anything else.

The other valuable feature is the performance. When we deploy to a server and install network software on it, there is a lot to take care of. With Appliance, everything is on the go and is already pre-installed and fine-tuned. It already matches the performance and metrics. It is great for replication, network performance, CPU performance, and storage performance.

What needs improvement?

Veritas NetBackup is software, so there are multiple OS issues, OS packages, and updates.

I would like to see the Java control replaced with web control in the next release. There is currently web control, but it is confusing when using Java control. Web control requires no granular settings. Web control should be enhanced so that it looks and feels like Java control. This would enable a person switching from Java control to Web control to not be hesitant to adopt the web version. Currently, Web control is entirely different from Java control.

Veritas NetBackup would benefit from better-explained error codes. The technical documentation should be easy to read, easy to set up, and be more understandable. There are two or three possibilities for one single error, so Veritas should try to bifurcate or separate the issues so each has its own ID.

I have been using Veritas NetBackup Appliance for a year.

Veritas NetBackup Applicance is stable.

The solution is scalable. It is sufficient for our existing environment. I have not encountered any situation where I have had to scale up the Appliance. Our administration team uses Veritas NetBackup. There are currently three people managing it.

I used customer service and support frequently during the initial setup because I was new to the product. Veritas support needs improvement. They contact you on time and follow up on time, but they are unable to understand the problem and develop a solution.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

NetBackup software is embedded into the appliance, so I do not need to worry about installation. The initial setup is very easy.

Veritas NetBackup Appliance is priced well compared to other solutions.

We compared Veritas NetBackup Appliance with Rubrik and Commvault HyperScale X. Veritas was more affordable and better priced. HyperScale X is very expensive. Veritas has a good reputation in the industry and a good market presence.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

IT admin at kfmb
    Works well and integrates into the VMware environment but the interface needs improvement
    • "The documentation is okay. You are able to follow it and it is helpful."
    • "It's hard to get to the backups. There are too many tabs."

What is our primary use case?

It's a backup solution. I use it for backup and recovery.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution. It works well.

The integration to the VMware environment is good.

The documentation is okay. You are able to follow it and it is helpful.

One big feature which we really like is that it is a little bit immutable. There are a couple of storage locations.

What needs improvement?

I don't like the interface of Veritas. It could be improved. It's not that user-friendly right now.

It's hard to get to the backups. There are too many tabs.

It's like to see replication in Veritas.

The setup is a bit more complex than Veeam.

It's quite new. We implemented the product this year.

It's very new. everything is working. It's quite stable and reliable. We haven't had any issues.

We have three people using the solution right now.

We are working with one model replaced as we're going to take a higher model. It is possible to scale. We're going to expand usage.

We haven't been in touch with technical support.

We use both Veeam and Veritas. The platform is different from Veritas.

Working on Veeam, is very simple and very vertical, very English. With Veritas, you have to work on it to get into the backups. You have to go through so many tabs and menus to reach the backup. The way you handle it is more complicated than Veeam.

I don't see replication in Veritas. Right now, Replication is purely on the Veeam side. Veeam is doing both.

I did find the Veeam setup easier.

It took us a day to deploy the product. It did not take long.

I'd rate the ease of setup at a three out of five due to some general complexity.

It's a new appliance. Right now, it is working fine. We don't really need to worry about maintenance.

There were vendors involved in the deployment. We did not handle it on our own.

I'm not involved in procurement and pricing. I can't speak to the exact cost.

My understanding is that the solution is a bit on the higher side in terms of cost.

What other advice do I have?

We're working with the latest version of the solution. We are running a POC and will become a customer.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten. The functionality is complex. I prefer Veeam.

Software Developer at BOLDATA SYSTEMS LTD
    Fairly priced with an easy initial setup and good stability
    • "We find the pricing is reasonable."
    • "The monitoring could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for business continuity. We use it for backups.

What is most valuable?

The backup capabilities are very good.

We find the ability to allow for business continuity to be very helpful. Our systems are not very stable, where we come from here in Kenya. There can be serious problems very often. There are many incidents and businesses can just collapse. The peace of mind of having a backup on hand is critical.

The initial setup is very simple.

The solution is stable.

The product is quite scalable.

Technical support is very good.

We find the pricing is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if I have seen any area that needs improvement. I'm not overly technical, and I personally haven't had any real issues.

The monitoring could be a bit better.

I've used the solution for about a year or so.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is mature and very scalable. It's not a problem to expand.

As an established brand, Veritas has a very good technical support team. We are quite pleased with the level of service provided. They are helpful and supportive. The staff is knowledgeable.

It's my understanding that the initial setup is straightforward. I have not seen anything about the solution that would make the process overly complex.

The pricing is fair. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

At the moment, I don't have any relationship with the company, however, I would like to be a reseller and implementer.

I mainly handle consultancy on business continuity. I look at products to propose to my customers on business continuity, storage, and backups.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Download our free Veritas NetBackup Appliance Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: July 2022