IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Vectra AI OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Vectra AI is #2 ranked solution in top Network Detection and Response (NDR) tools, #3 ranked solution in top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software, and #3 ranked solution in Network Traffic Analysis tools. PeerSpot users give Vectra AI an average rating of 10 out of 10. Vectra AI is most commonly compared to Darktrace: Vectra AI vs Darktrace. Vectra AI is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
Vectra AI Buyer's Guide

Download the Vectra AI Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Vectra AI?

Vectra threat detection and response is a complete cybersecurity platform that collects, detects, and prioritizes security alerts. The Cognito platform for Network Detection and Response (NDR) detects and responds to attacks inside cloud, data center, Internet of Things, and enterprise networks. The platform also provides automated response capabilities for low-level threats and escalates more severe anomalies to security personnel.

Cognito captures data for multiple relevant sources and enriches it with context and security insights. It starts by deploying sensors across different networks in datacenters, IoT, or enterprise networks. The algorithm extracts relevant metadata from network and cloud traffic. The information can also be non-security information that can help investigation.

The data is enriched with security context to support critical use cases, such as threat detection, investigation, hunting and compliance. The platform is machine learning-based, which enables it to adapt to any new and current threat scenario. It detects, clusters, prioritizes, and anticipates attacks by using identity and host-level enforcement.

With the Vectra platform, a person can investigate 50 threats in just two hours. By prioritizing alerts and leveraging threat intelligence, it provides faster results.Vectra solves today’s security challenges for network detection and response.

One of Vectra’s best features is the emphasis they put in pairing research and data science for security insights. It offers behavior codification with unsupervised, supervised, and deep learning models.

The pricing is according to a subscription model with a free trial available.Vectra is available for Office 365, Azure AD and AWS Brain.

Features of Vectra AI

• AI-based threat detection and response.
  • Detects attacks in real time with behavior-based threat detection.
  • Consolidates and correlates thousands of events, detecting threats.
  • Enriches threat investigation with a chain of evidence and data science security insights.
  • Machine learning techniques, including deep learning and neural networks.
  • Gives visibility into cyberattackers and analyzes all network traffic.
  • Continuous updates with new threat detection algorithms.
  • Provides encryption at rest and in transit. For the AWS version, it offers AES-256 encryption via AWS Key Management Service.
  • Guaranteed availability according to the SLA of the service selected.
  • Does not connect to public sector networks.

Benefits of Vectra AI

• Behavioral models use AI to find unknown attackers.
  • Context increases the accuracy of threat hunting.
  • Allows for proactive action by prioritizing the most relevant information.
  • Provides a clear picture and extensive context for investigations.
  • Aids decision-making in the incident response process.
  • Helps working with large datasets by capturing metadata at scale.
  • Automates time-consuming analysis.
  • Reduces the security analysts’ workloads on threat investigations.

Other advantages of Vectra services include that they can be deployed in the public, private, or hybrid cloud. Support is available via email or online ticketing with an average of 4 hours of response. Phone support is available 24/7.

Vectra provides full on-site and online training and documentation. Regarding the user interface, it supports several types of web browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera. However, it is not available for mobile devices.

Reviews from Real Users

Here’s what PeerSpot users of Vectra AI have to say about it:

"One of the core features is that Vectra AI triages threats and correlates them with compromised host devices. From a visibility perspective, we can better track the threat across the network. Instead of us potentially finding one device that has been impacted without Vectra AI, it will give us the visibility of everywhere that threat went. Therefore, visibility has increased for us." - Dave W., Operations Manager at a healthcare company

"It does a reliable job of parsing out the logs of all the network traffic so that we can ingest them into our SIEM and utilize them for threat hunting and case investigations. It is pretty robust and reliable. The administration time that we spend maintaining it or troubleshooting it is very low.” - T.S., Senior Security Engineer at a manufacturing company

Vectra AI was previously known as Vectra Networks, Vectra AI NDR.

Vectra AI Customers

Tribune Media Group, Barry University, Aruba Networks, Good Technology, Riverbed, Santa Clara University, Securities Exchange, Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association

Vectra AI Video

Vectra AI Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Vectra AI pricing:
  • "The pricing is very good. It's less expensive than many of the tools out there."
  • "From a pricing perspective, they are very commercially competitive. From a licensing perspective, just be conscious that some of their future cloud solutions come with additional subscriptions. Also, if you're outside of the US, you will get charged freight for the device back to your country."
  • "Their licensing model is antiquated. I'm not a fan of their licensing model. We have to pay for licensing based on four different things. You have to pay based on the number of unique IPs, the number of logs that we send through Recall and Stream, and the size of our environment. They need to simplify their licensing down to just one thing. It should be based on the amount of data, the number of devices, or something else, but there should be just one thing for everything. That's what they need to base their licensing on. Cost-wise, they're not cheap. They were definitely the most expensive option, but you get what you pay for. They're not the cheapest option."
  • "The pricing is high."
  • "Cost is a big factor, as always. However, I think we have a very good price–performance ratio."
  • Vectra AI Reviews

Operational Security Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Using Recall and Detect we have been able to track down if users are trying to bypass proxies
    • "The most valuable feature for Cognito Detect, the main solution, is that external IDS's create a lot of alerts. When I say a lot of alerts I really mean a lot of alerts. Vectra, on the other hand, contextualizes everything, reducing the number of alerts and pinpointing only the things of interest. This is a key feature for me. Because of this, a non-trained analyst can use it almost right away."
    • "The key feature for me for Detect for Office 365 is that it can also concentrate all the information and detection at one point, the same as the network solution does. This is the key feature for me because, while accessing data from Office 365 is possible using Microsoft interfaces, they are not really user-friendly and are quite confusing to use. But Detect for Office 365 is aggregating all the info, and it's only the interesting stuff."
    • "Vectra is still limited to packet management. It's only monitoring packet exchanges. While it can see a lot of things, it can't see everything, depending on where it's deployed. It has its limits and that's why I still have my SIEM."
    • "The main improvement I can see would be to integrate with more external solutions."

What is our primary use case?

Vectra was deployed to give us a view of what is happening on the user network. It helps us to check what is being done by users, if that is compliant with our policies, and if what they're doing is dangerous. It covers cyber security stuff, such as detecting bad proxies, malware infections, and using packet defense on strange behaviors, but it can also be used to help with the assessment of compliance and how my policies will apply. We also use Vectra to administer servers and for accessing restricted networks. There are on-prem modules, which are called Cognito Detect, the NDR/IDS solution, which captures traffic. We also have the SaaS data lake, and we also have the Cognito Detect for Office 365, which is a SaaS-type sensor within the O365 cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

If we didn't have Vectra and the Detect for Office 365, it would be very difficult to know if our Office 365 was compromised. We tried, in the past, to do it with a SIEM solution consuming Office 365 logs and it was really time-consuming. The Office 365 Detect solution has the exact same "mindset" as the Detect solution for networks. It's almost like we can deploy it in the fire-and-forget mode. You deploy the solution and everything is configured. You have all the relevant alerts out-of-the-box. If you want to, you could tweak, configure, contextualize, and rewrite the parser, because some things might be out of date,  and customize the solution. For a big company with a large team it might be feasible, but for small companies, it's an absolute showstopper. The Detect for Office 365 gives us a lot of visibility and I'm very pleased with the tool. We use three services from Vectra: Cognito Detect, Detect for Office 365, and Cognito Recall, and we are leveraging all these services within the SOC team to have proper assessments. We even use these tools to prepare the new use cases that we want to implement into our SIEM solution. Recall stores all the metadata that is brought up from Cognito Detect at a central point, data-lake style, with an elastic stack and a Kibana interface available for everybody. Using this, we can try to see what are the general steps. Without this, I would not have been able to have my SOC analyst do the job. Creating a data lake for cyber security would be too expensive and too time-consuming to develop, deploy, and maintain. But with this solution, I have a lot of insight into my network. An additional thing that is very convenient with the Recall and Detect interfaces is that you can do use cases involving individuals in Recall and have them triggered in Detect. For example, we found ways to track down if users are trying to bypass proxies, which might be quite a mess in a network. We found a type of search within Recall and have it triggering alerts in Detect. As a result, things can be managed. It's so efficient that I'm thinking about removing my SIEM solution from our organization. Ours is a small organization and having a SIEM solution is really time-consuming. It needs regular attention to properly maintain it, to keep it up and running, consume all the logs, etc. And the value that it's bringing is currently pretty low. If I have to reduce costs, I will cut costs on my SIEM solution, not on Vectra. The solution also provides visibility into behaviors across the full life cycle of an attack in our network, beyond just the internet gateway. It provides a lot of insight on how an attack might be coming. There are multiple phases of an attack that can be detected. And there is a new feature where it can even consume intelligence feeds from Vectra, and we can also push our own threat-intelligence feeds, although these have to be tested. The behavioral model of the Detect solution also covers major malware and CryptoLockers. I know it's working. We tested some cases and they showed properly in the tool. I'm quite reassured. It triages threats and correlates them with compromised host devices. One of the convenient things about Detect is that it can be used by almost anybody. It's very clear. It's quite self-explanatory. It shows quadrants that state what is low-risk and what is high-risk. It is able to automatically pinpoint where to look. Every time we have had an internal pen test campaign, the old pen test workstation has popped up right away in the high-risk quadrant, in a matter of seconds. To filter out false positives it can also provide rules that state, "Okay, this is the standard behavior. This subnet or this workstation can do this type of thing." That means we can triage automatically. It also has some features which aren't so obvious, because they are hidden within the interface, to help you to define triage rules and lower the number of alerts. It looks at all your threat or alert landscapes, and says, "Okay, you have many alerts coming from these types of things, so this group of workstations is using this type of service. Consider defining a new, automated triage rule to reduce the number of alerts." To give you numbers, with my SIEM I'm monitoring some IDS stuff within my network. Everything is concentrated within my SIEM. From my entire site, IDS is giving me about 5,000 more alerts than my Vectra solution. Of course it will depend on how it is configured and what types of alerts it is meant to detect, but Vectra is humanly manageable. You don't have to add something to make the triage manageable, using some time-consuming fine-tuning of the solution, requiring expertise. This is really a strong point with Vectra. You deploy it, and everything is automatically done and you have very few alerts. Its ability to reduce false positives and help us focus on the highest-risk threats is quite amazing. I don't know how they made their behavioral or detection models, but they're very efficient. Each alert is scored with a probability and a criticality. Using this combination, it provides you insights on alerts and the risks related to alerts or to workstations. For example, a workstation that has a large number of low-criticality alerts might be pinpointed as a critical workstation to have a look at. In fact, in the previous pen test we launched, the guys were aware that the Vectra solution was deployed so they tried some less obvious tests, by not crawling all the domain controllers, and things like that. Because there were multiple, small alerts, workstations were pinpointed as being in the high-risk quadrant. This capability is honestly quite amazing. And, of course, it has reduced the security analyst workload in our organization, on the one hand, but on the other it has increased it. It reduces the amount of attention analysts have to pay to things because they rely on the tool to do the job. We have confidence in its capability to detect and warn only on specific things of interest. But it also increases the workload because, as the tool is quite interesting to use, my guys tend to spend some time in Recall to check and fix things and to try to define new use cases. Previously, I had four analysts in my shop, and every one of them was monitoring everything that was happening on the network and in the company on a daily basis. Now, I have one analyst who is specialized in Vectra and who is using it more than the others. He is focusing on tweaking the rules and trying to find new detections. It brings us new opportunities, in fact. But it has really reduced the workload around NDS. In addition, it has helped move work from our Tier 2 to our Tier 1 analysts. Previously, with my old IDS, all the detection had to be cross-checked multiple times before we knew if it was something really dangerous or if it was a false positive or a misconfiguration. Now, all the intelligence steps are done by the tool. It does happen that we sometimes see a false positive within the tool, but one well-trained analyst can handle the tool. I would say about 20 to 30 percent of work has moved from our Tier 2 to our Tier 1 analysts, at a global level. If I focus on only the network detections, by changing all my IDS to Vectra, the number is something like more than 90 percent. It has increased our security efficiency. If I wanted to have the same type of coverage without Vectra, I would need to almost double the size of my team. We are a small company and my team has five guys in our SOC for monitoring and Tier 1 and Tier 2. It reduces the time it takes for us to respond to attacks. It's quite difficult to say by how much. It depends on the detections and threat types. Previously, we had an antivirus that was warning us about malicious files that were deployed on a workstation within one year. Now, we can detect it within a few minutes, so the response time can be greatly enhanced. And the response time on a high-criticality incident would go from four hours to one hour.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for Cognito Detect, the main solution, is that external IDS's create a lot of alerts. When I say a lot of alerts I really mean a lot of alerts. Vectra, on the other hand, contextualizes everything, reducing the number of alerts and pinpointing only the things of interest. This is a key feature for me. Because of this, a non-trained analyst can use it almost right away. It's very efficient. It can correlate multiple sources of alerts and process them through specific modules. For example, it has some specific patterns to detect data exfiltration and it can pinpoint, in a single area, which stations have exfiltrated data, have gathered data, and from which server at which time frame and with which account. It indicates which server the data is sent to, which websites, and when. It's very effective at concentrating and consolidating all the information. If, at one point in time, multiple workstations are reaching some specific website and it seems to be suspicious, it can also create detection campaigns with all the linked assets. Within a single alert you can see all the things that are linked to the alert: the domains, the workstation involved, the IPs, the subnets, and whatever information you might need. The key feature for me for Detect for Office 365 is that it can also concentrate all the information and detection at one point, the same as the network solution does. This is the key feature for me because, while accessing data from Office 365 is possible using Microsoft interfaces, they are not really user-friendly and are quite confusing to use. But Detect for Office 365 is aggregating all the info, and it's only the interesting stuff. We are still in the process of deploying the features of Detect for Office 365, but currently it helps us see mailboxes' configurations. For example, the boss of the company had his mailbox reconfigured by an employee who added some other people with the right to send emails on his behalf, and it was a misconfiguration. The solution was able to pinpoint it. Without it, we would never have been able to see that. The eDiscovery can track down all the accesses and it even helped us to open an incident at Microsoft because some discoveries were made by an employee that were not present in the eDiscovery console on the protection portal from Office 365. That was pinpointed by Vectra. After asking the user, he showed that he was doing some stuff without having the proper rights to do so. We were able to mitigate this bit of risk. It also correlates behaviors in our network and data centers with behaviors we see in our cloud environment. When we first deployed Vectra, I wanted to cross-check the behavioral detection. After cross-checking everything, I saw that everything was quite relevant. On the behavioral side, the Office 365 module can alert us if an employee is trying to authenticate using non-standard authentication methods, such as validating an SMS as a second factor or authenticating on the VPN instead of the standard way. The behavioral model is quite efficient and quite well deployed.

What needs improvement?

Vectra is still limited to packet management. It's only monitoring packet exchanges. While it can see a lot of things, it can't see everything, depending on where it's deployed. It has its limits and that's why I still have my SIEM. I am in contact with the Vectra team, if not weekly then on a monthly basis, to propose improvements. For the time being, the main improvement I can see would be to integrate with more external solutions. Since Vectra provides an API, that  should be quite easy to handle. For example, we're using an open source ticketing system within our team and I want to have it handled properly by Vectra. We'll go forward on that with the API.  Another area for improvement that I have pinpointed is that the Office 365 solution and the Detect solution cannot match the same users. That means we have two "different worlds" currently, the world from Office 365, which is bringing alerts based on users' emails and email addresses. And we have the network world, which is bringing an Active Directory view. On the one hand we are seeing emails or email addresses, and on the other hand we are seeing things like logons on to the domain controller. From time to time, it does not match and the tool cannot currently cross-check this info and consolidate everything. I would like to be able to see that detection related to one workstation and covering a user: what he is using, what services he is using, and what he did with his Office 365 and configuration. That would help.  Another major feature would be to have all logs pushed to Cognito Detect, and all these logs should be also pushed to Recall. Currently, within Recall, I can't call up the Office 365 detections and I would love to do so.  The last point would be an automated IoT threat feed consumption by the tool.
    Vectra AI
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Vectra AI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using Vectra for two years.

The stability is absolutely flawless. The last time it was rebooted was almost two years ago.  The only thing we have seen was some interruption in log feeding to the Recall instance, the SaaS solution. I had a quick call with a product manager in Europe and he was very keen to share information about this issue and willing to improve it. So, within two years we have faced one stability incident. This incident lasted less than two hours and it was not on the monitoring solution but more on the data lake solution.

The scalability is very good. From the financial perspective, we are not limited by the number of sensors. We can deploy as many virtual sensors as we want. The key factor is the IP addresses that are being monitored. In terms of technical scalability, we have one brain appliance, one very big sensor, and multiple virtual sensors, and I don't see any limits with this solution. We are currently using all the things that it's possible to use in this solution. One thing I like with Vectra is that it's updated very frequently. Almost every month new features are popping up: new detections, new dashboards, new ways to handle things. That's quite good. I work with our SOC team so that they can use everything right away.

The tech support is surprisingly good. We had questions, we faced some slight issues, and we always got very quick answers. Things are taken into account within a few minutes and answers usually come in less than two hours.

To deploy Recall, which is the data lake in SaaS, or to deploy the Office 365 sensor, it was effortless. It was just a quick call and, within minutes, everything was set up. It was set up the same way the solution is behaving. It's a turnkey solution. You deploy it and everything works. The configuration steps are minimal. It's exactly the same for the SaaS solution. You deploy the tool and you just have to accept and do very basic configuration. For Office 365, you have to grant rights for the sensors to be able to consume API logs and so on. You grant the rights and everything is properly set up. It's exactly the same for Recall. It was a matter of minutes, and not a matter of days and painful configurations. In terms of maintenance it is very easy and takes no time. It's self-maintaining, aside from checking if backups have properly ended. And in terms of deployment, when we add a network segment, we have to work a bit to determine where to deploy the new sensors, but the deployment model is quite easy. The Vectra console is providing the OVA to provide a virtual sensor for deployment. It can also automate the deployment of the sensor if you link it with vCenter, which we have not done. But it's very easy. It's absolutely not time-consuming. If I compare the deployment time to other solutions, it's way easier and way quicker. If I compare it to my standard IDS, in terms of deployment and coverage, it's twice or three times better.

We were in contact with Vectra a lot at the beginning to plan the deployment, to check if everything was properly set up. But the solution is quite easy to set up. The next decisions we had were focused on how to enhance the solution: what seemed to be missing from the tool and what we needed for better efficiency. The guys from Vectra were more providing guidance in terms of where the sensors needed to be deployed and that was about it. We had a third-party integrator, Nomios, that provided the appliances, but they did not do anything aside from the delivery of appliances to our building. Our team took the hardware and racked it into the data center on its own. With just a basic PDF, we set up the tool within minutes. The integrator was quite unnecessary. Nomios are nice guys, but we have deployed some of other solutions with them and we were not so happy about the extra fees. We were not the only ones who were not happy about that. We tried to deploy the ForeScout products with Nomios and it was quite a mess. But they have helped us with other topics and they have been quite efficient with those. So they are good on some things and on other things they are not good.

It's ineffective to speak just about the cost of the solution, because all the solutions are costly. They are too costly if we are only looking at them from a cost perspective. But if I look at the value I can extract from every Euro that I spend on Vectra, and compare it to every Euro I spend on other solutions, the return on investment on Vectra is way better. ROI is not measurable in my setup, but I can tell you that Vectra is way more cost-efficient than my other solution. The other solution is not expensive, but it's very time-consuming and the hardware on which it's running it's quite expensive. If I look at the global picture, Vectra is three or four times more cost-efficient than my other solution.

The pricing is very good. It's less expensive than many of the tools out there.

I evaluated Darktrace but it wasn't so good. Vectra's capabilities in pinpointing things of interest are way better. With Darktrace, it is like they put a skin of Kibana on some standard IDS stuff. Vectra enables us to answer investigative questions that other solutions are unable to address. It provides an explanation of why it has detected something, every time, and always provides insights about these detections. That's very helpful. Within the tool, you always have small question marks that you click on and you have a whole explanation of everything that has been detected: Why has it been detected and what work is the recommended course of action. This approach is very helpful because I know that if I ask somebody new, within our team, to use Vectra, I don't have to spend months or days in training for him to be able to handle the solution properly. It's guided everywhere. It's very easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

Do not be afraid to link Vectra to the domain controller, because doing so can bring a lot of value. It can provide a lot of information. It gets everything from the domain controller and that is very efficient. You don't need any specialized skills to deploy or use Vectra. It's very intuitive and it's very efficient. We are in the process of deploying the solution’s Privileged Account Analytics for detecting issues with privileged accounts. We are using specific accounts to know whether they have reached some servers. It's quite easy with all these tools to check whether or not a given access to a server is a legitimate one or not. We don't use the Power Automate functionality in our company, but I was very convinced by their demonstration, and an analyst in my team played with it a bit to check whether or not it was working properly. These are mostly advanced cases for companies that are using Office 365 in a mature manner, which is not the case for our company at the moment. In our company, less than 10 people are using the Detect solution, and five or six people are using Recall. But we are also extracting reports that are provided to 15 to 20 people.
    Operations Manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
    Gives us a greater level of confidence that we will be able to detect threats more quickly
    • "One of the core features is that Vectra AI triages threats and correlates them with compromised host devices. From a visibility perspective, we can better track the threat across the network. Instead of us potentially finding one device that has been impacted without Vectra AI, it will give us the visibility of everywhere that threat went. Therefore, visibility has increased for us."
    • "I would like to see data processed onshore. Right now, the cloud components, like Office 365, must be processed on servers outside of Australia. I would like to see a future adoption of onshore processing."

What is our primary use case?

The key challenges are employee weakness, getting alerted as soon as possible on our network and infrastructures to anything suspicious that is happening, and policy-type enforcement.

The challenge that it tends to solve is visibility. We put a lot of controls in place for what we suspect will be a risk. However, something like Vectra gives us more visibility and confidence that we have a better understanding of what is actually happening, rather than just the things that we have already planned for.

How has it helped my organization?

We adopted an Office 365 add-in with the product that looks over the Office 365 suite and data traversing that platform. In the future, we see this as a valuable asset that we already have in place to be able to better monitor that type of detection of information. We don't have an environment where there are many true positives, which is good. That has been consistent across the old and new. Our detections have usually been benign or more configuration-based rather than some sort of attack. Because it provides more context and raises things in a way that make it more actionable, it does help you understand the anomaly on a deeper level because it is not just a log that is being forwarded on and has context around it. Vectra AI does do a good job of providing the model information upfront about how its detections work, which is helpful.

We have an external SOC and most of the data or detections from Vectra now flows to them. The final design is that they are the recipient of those alerts in parallel with us. We also receive them directly at times, depending on the criticality. What it does for us is it improves the information and context that they are getting upfront, which means less questions for our internal IT team about what these assets are and what they are doing. Because the analysts at the SOC have more information to work from, it has reduced wasted time and improved the path that we are taking to a resolution, if there is a problem. It is more straightforward when you are getting quality information upfront about what you are actually investigating and why you are investigating it, rather than just, "This particular activity was detected on the network. Go and work out everything about it," Vectra gives you some context around it and a little bit of direction when you see these things, e.g., this is potentially what could be causing it. This improves workflow, reduces wasted time, and makes everyone's life a little bit easier.

It has given us an increased level of confidence in our information security that we have a tool like Vectra to back up some of the incidents that could take place, knowing we are going to get them detected as quickly as possible and identified to us. Nowadays, with threats on ransomware and information security types of techs, we believe that Vectra does give us a greater level of confidence that we will be able to detect those more quickly. If they do occur, we can shut them down more quickly, preventing further risks or damage to our systems or infrastructure.

Vectra AI provides visibility into behaviors across the full lifecycle of an attack in our network, beyond just the Internet gateway. It spells that out quite clearly in each detection. It is not just in the detection. You can look at detections individually, which are essentially individual events. Also, when you are looking at an asset that has multiple detections attached to it, you can see where those sit in the lifecycle of an attack. This gives you an idea of how far Vectra thinks that it has progressed. Having the ability to know where you are in an attack helps you prioritize things a bit better.

The solution correlates behaviors in our enterprise network and data centers with behaviors that we see in our cloud environment. In terms of a specific example, it links cloud identities to on-prem identities. This is something that we have never really had before, because we didn't have that visibility in our cloud environment. Now, it improves the visibility that we have of our security operations as a whole. Rather than sometimes viewing these things in silos and objects as individual objects, we are now viewing them as what they are, which is people undertaking action in our network and the pathways that they are taking to get to certain resources. By combining the cloud and on-prem data, it gives us context and helps us to get a proper view of what is actually going on.

What is most valuable?

An attractive thing about Vectra AI is the AI component that it has over the top of the detections. It will run intelligence over detections coming across in our environment and contextualize them a bit and filter them before raising them as something that the IT team or SOC need to address.

While the device itself is deployed on-prem, the hybrid nature of what it can monitor is important to us.

Its ability to group detections for us in an easier way to better identify and investigate is beneficial. It also provides detailed descriptions on the detection, which reduces our research time into what the incident is.

There are also some beneficial features around integration with existing products, like EDR, Active Directory, etc., where we can get some hooks to use the Vectra product to isolate devices when threats are found.

On a scale of good to bad, Vectra AI is good at having the ability to reduce alerts by rolling up numerous alerts to create a single incident or campaign for investigation. My frame of reference is another product that we had beforehand, which wasn't very good at this side of things. Vectra AI has been a good improvement in this space. In our pretty short time with it so far, Vectra AI has done a lot to reduce the noise and combine multiple detections into more singular or aggregated alerts that we can then investigate with a bit more context. It has been very good for us.

There is a level of automation that takes place where we don't have to write as many rules or be very specific around filtering data. It starts to learn, adapt, and automate some of the information coming in. It works by exception, which is really good. Initially, you get a little bit more noise, but once it understands what is normal in your environment, some of the detections are based on whether an action or activity is more than usual. It will then raise it. Initially, you are getting everything because everything is more than nothing, but now we are not getting much of that anymore because the baseline has been raised for what it would expect to see on the network.

We use the solution’s Privileged Account Analytics for detecting issues with privileged accounts. Privileged accounts are one of the biggest attack vectors that we can protect ourselves against. This is one of the few solutions that gives you true insight into where some of those privileged accounts are being used and when they are being used in an exceptional way.

We have found that Vectra AI captures network metadata at scale and enriches it with security information. We have seen that data enriched with integrations has been available and implemented. This comes back to the integration of our EDR solution. It is enriching its detection with existing products from our EDR suite, and probably some other integrations around AWS and Azure. In the future, we will see that improve even further.

One of the core features is that Vectra AI triages threats and correlates them with compromised host devices. From a visibility perspective, we can better track the threat across the network. Instead of us potentially finding one device that has been impacted without Vectra AI, it will give us the visibility of everywhere that threat went. Therefore, visibility has increased for us.

What needs improvement?

I have been using it for two to three months.

We have only a few months of history with it, but the solution has been rock solid. I don't think it has gone down yet.

We have the ability to add agents in Azure and AWS Cloud if we want, but we still haven't made a decision yet. We can also add more agents or sensors on-prem with the VMware virtual machine that they provide. It is scalable in that way, but at some point, you will hit the limit of the device.

One of the selling points for us was, down the track, we can just add additional agents to the box from other sources without the need for additional licensing costs.

Internal to the business, there are only two users. External to the business (the SOC), there could be a team of up to 10 people who are watching alerts day-to-day as well as using the product and logging into the product to better identify what those alerts are. Being the owners of the system, we use it when we are triggered by alerts about something significant.

We have a small IT team with fewer than 10 staff, where there are only one to two information security focused staff. We leverage an external SOC, i.e., a third-party.

Vectra AI has enabled us to do things now that we could not do before. We are able to give our SOC a tool that can both reduce their time and potentially allow them to do more on our network. Potentially, they will look into isolating the threat a lot quicker. They can use some of the integrations to turn off endpoints when a threat, which is significant, is detected.

Through the different phases of deployment that we have gone through so far, we have been mainly assigned one technical resource to assist us with everything from beginning to end. He has been very knowledgeable and responsive. I can't say anything really negative about him.

In terms of the ongoing support, we haven't had to leverage it much yet. We are now in the production phase, so we have been handed over to the main support desk, but I haven't had to use them yet.

Through deployment, the technical support was very responsive. I think every question that I asked, if it wasn't able to be answered, got passed onto someone who could then come back with something. I think they were pretty upfront as well when the solution couldn't do what we were after. We were told that they would go away and check, then they would come back with an answer about whether what we were asking for could be done. It has all been pretty good so far.

We already had a solution like this one in place, which was another competitor's product, where the three-year contract for that product was up. We wanted to retain the level of detection that the product provided, but adapt to the way our network had changed over three years to adopt a more hybrid cloud technology. This device sits on our internal network watching for any threats to our internal network. It looks at our Office 365 threats as well.

We were previously using DarkTrace. We went to the market for reasons of maturity over time for our network. We wanted to further adapt this product to a hybrid working model. We wanted it to be able to adapt to cloud technology that we were adopting. We also wanted something commercially competitive. After three years, they came back asking for a 20% increase in their renewal fees, which wasn't acceptable.

One of the main things that Vectra has brought to the table for us, over what we were previously using, was the ability to combine our on-prem packet data that we were watching with the cloud data that we needed to start including. We have one system monitoring a hybrid environment, rather than having separate systems for separate environments. That is a key thing that Vectra does that others might not. It comes back to visibility with network monitoring.

For critical alerts, there has been a huge reduction compared to our previous solution, approximately 80% less. What our previous tool would mark as high, we wouldn't, and Vectra AI aligns with that. Vectra gave us some classifications of the threats, where our previous tool would just trigger high risks on a lot of things that to us, as a business, were not high risk. This is because of fundamentally the way that Vectra looks at detections compared to the way that our previous product did. Every detection was its own entity within the previous one. Whereas, with Vectra AI, it is all about combining the detections and getting a more complete picture. When you are looking for more than just one indicator of compromise, and you are not viewing these things in isolation, you start to realize that one indicator oftentimes doesn't mean critical. That is what Vectra does pretty well.

The initial setup was straightforward. We had the existing competitor already in place, and it was architected in a pretty similar way. Someone without a device like this one in place would need to spend a little bit of time on the setup. However, that is not so much about Vectra as it is with the type of device that it is. No matter which device does this sort of thing, when you put it in place, you will need to set certain things up.

We unboxed the device, plugged it in, and it pretty much turned on. We didn't have to do much at all. Then, there was the config after the fact, which was all supported.

The initial deployment really only took a couple of weeks to get it to the point that we were relatively comfortable with what we were receiving. In terms of getting the box plugged in, that took a day. Then, we finished the whole deployment phase of it. which was to fine tune some of our detections and config. That has really been finalized in the last few weeks.

Vectra was extremely easy and quick to get into place. It was able to run inline with DarkTrace while we were evaluating it. Also, the implementation was not heavy in any way.

We went through a proof of concept with Vectra. We had already identified our functional requirements for the product and entered into our proof of concept arrangement with Vectra to assess that they could achieve all the functional requirements that we had.

The support for deploying it was ready to assist further, if needed, with the deployment. In our case, it was very straightforward. It was very quick to implement. The support that they gave us week-to-week kept us moving. They were also able to implement it in line with us.

Development and maintenance needs a tenth of a staff member. We mostly handle this ourselves. To be effective with the alerts that you are getting, you need security staff or people who are dedicated to this kind of thing. It is one thing to maintain and deploy the device.

It is another thing to action the information that the solution is giving you. We outsource that, so we don't do it in-house.

The capturing of network metadata at scale reduces the time of investigations when researching incidents. Instead of having to look over multiple tools, that data can be somewhat aggregated, from a Vectra perspective. The time to detect and understand a threat has been reduced.

Vectra AI has reduced the time it takes us to respond to attacks. The amount of time depends on the specific detection or circumstance around it. Some things have been raised previously, then we would have good knowledge about what that detection meant and how to investigate it effectively. Other times, a detection might be viewed as more novel, where there may not be the immediate skills in place to investigate it effectively, whether that is the security team or me. There is a whole lot of research that needs to go into this to make sure that you have the knowledge to actually verify whether a thing needs to be dealt with.

Vectra AI provides you this information very well, with more context around the detection. Someone with a more general knowledge of some of these things can look at all the factors rather than just the detection to make a determination of how risky it is and how you might start investigating it. For example, with autodetection in an account, if it was just that detection, then your initial response might be to lock that account out. However, if you get a bit more context about it and can see what other activities were happening on the same asset around the same time, then you might not lock that account. You might just reach out to that user, and say, "Hey, what was this about?" because you are not so concerned about an immediate threat.

There is ongoing maturity from our security strategy, which this solution introduces. Down the track, we could look to extend this from an agent perspective to our cloud platforms in a more rigorous way than what has already been implemented. It gives us increased confidence over time as we do get these detections and alerts that are valid, so we are able to accurately resolve and stop them quite quickly. That is where we will see the bigger benefit. It will tick something and alert us as quickly as possible, then we can get to it and shut it down as quickly as possible. That means our security maturity is only strengthening, and we can respond and have visibility over events in the future.

The return on investment was passed over to our SOC. They were using our previous tool, DarkTrace, and now they are using Vectra. There will be a lot less in future reports because there will be a lot less that they are actually investigating.

From a pricing perspective, they are very commercially competitive. From a licensing perspective, just be conscious that some of their future cloud solutions come with additional subscriptions. Also, if you're outside of the US, you will get charged freight for the device back to your country. I tried to negotiate getting rid of this, but unfortunately, it just wasn't something they would take off the table.

I would like to see ways they can look to bring out new cloud functionality without introducing additional costs for them as additional subscriptions. They're about to bring out their AWS add-in, which has an additional cost. So, I would like to see them start to roll that into the product, as opposed to having it be offered as a separate subscription service. Because the more that that happens, the more it goes away from the core functionality of the product if we are just buying a lot of separate cloud processing pieces doing different functions. Why is that not being made as part of the core product?

They also have some additional threat hunting tools that I would like to at least consider leveraging, but the cost is just prohibitive.

After deploying this solution in our network, it began to add value to our security operations straightaway. We ran the Vectra product in line with DarkTrace and were watching the alerts from both. Because I was sometimes getting exactly the same detections on both platforms, the Vectra information was actually assisting me in understanding what DarkTrace was doing and what it was warning me about. Straightaway, I started to get a better understanding of the alerts that we had been receiving for a long time.

It pays to evaluate the market regularly on products like this. The industry and platforms change very rapidly, and there is always new technology coming out. Three years ago, these guys wouldn't have probably been around or been looked at. Now, they are. Therefore, going out to the market and actually assessing our existing investment, against what is out there today, was very worthwhile.

For EDR, we are using CrowdStrike.

What other advice do I have?

The visibility of your threats will be easier to understand with Vectra AI. It provides you with a centralized dashboard of those threats and alerts. It gives you detailed descriptions for quicker research into what the identified threats and alerts are. It will integrate with existing products you may already be using. Overall, it reduces a lot of time spent on chasing false positives.

Right now, we are leveraging the on-prem appliance and the Office 365 Cloud component. We want to look to the future around potentially extending this to further parts of Office 365 and cloud environments, like Azure and AWS.

We haven't adopted Power Automate into our environment as of yet.

I would rate this solution as eight and a half out of 10.

Vectra AI
    June 2022
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Security Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Easy to deploy and maintain, gives us ML, AI, and custom detection options for rule detection, and saves storage cost and time
    • "It does a reliable job of parsing out the logs of all the network traffic so that we can ingest them into our SIEM and utilize them for threat hunting and case investigations. It is pretty robust and reliable. The administration time that we spend maintaining it or troubleshooting it is very low. So, the labor hour overhead is probably our largest benefit from it. We spend 99% of our time in Vectra investigating cases, responding to incidents, or hunting, and only around 1% of our time is spent patching, troubleshooting, or doing anything else. That's our largest benefit from Vectra."
    • "They use a proprietary logging format that is probably 90% similar to Bro Logs. Their biggest area of improvement is finishing out the remaining 10%. That 10% might not be beneficial to their ML engine, but that's fine. The industry standard is Zeek Logs or Bro Logs, or Bro or Zeek, depending on how old you are. While they have 90% of those fields, they're still missing some fields. In very rare instances, some community rules do not have the fields that they need, and we had to modify community rules for our logs. So, their biggest area of improvement would be to just finish their matching of the Zeek standard."

What is our primary use case?

In terms of deployment, we have one brain and seven physical sensors. We're currently working on deploying a large number of virtual sensors, but those aren't done yet. We also have a SIEM and an EDR.

How has it helped my organization?

There are a large number of difficult-to-manage devices on a network. Traditional security vendors do a great job of making sure that workstations and servers are properly protected, secured, and observed, but they fall short when we're talking about odd peripherals, such as printers, scan guns, tablets, guest devices, and things like that. That's what Vectra helps us see. I can't tell the number of employee guest phones that just show up on the network, and they're infected because they're not managed by us and people do things with their phones. Now, we're able to actually see those devices hit our internal LAN instead of our guest networks, and we can properly move them over, whereas earlier, we were blind. Now, we have some reasonable assurance that our internal tablets, scan guns, and things like that are not performing abnormal network behavior. So, that's what we use Vectra for.

We've got a centralized data center with a large number of physical locations throughout the country. So, our network is very distributed. It's very much like a campus. Vectra is really good at reducing the complication of deploying an NDR solution, and that really helps us because we have over 175 stores that we need to capture traffic from, as well as a number of sales offices, regular employee offices, and distribution centers distributed across the country. So, Vectra makes it really easy. We just drop or ship it over there, and it is up and running real quick once it gets there. Shipping takes longer than configuration. So, basically, our network is a centralized data center infrastructure with a large number of stores, distribution centers, and offices geographically dispersed around the country.

It provides visibility into behaviors across the full lifecycle of an attack in our network beyond just the internet gateway. We tap client to server, server to server, and client and server to internet traffic, and it does a good job. It doesn't have an issue with internal traffic. In terms of the full lifecycle of the attack, Vectra is not designed to interface with or inspect the host. So, we're not seeing host activity obviously. That's what our EDR is doing. Vectra does an okay job. If we get a weird detection, we're also able to see a large number of other activities that happened just before and just after the attack and relate those to it.

Before we deployed Vectra, we were not monitoring network traffic. So, there was definitely a need and a gap, and Vectra has filled it. We have reliable network logs that are readable, and it does a good job of doing a default set of detections for us. We're very happy with the gap that it has filled.

It has overall reduced the time to respond to attacks, especially with the PCAP function on the detection, where when it gets a detection, it PCAPs the session. So, we're able to get a lot of context to alerts that we were unable to get before we deployed this because we weren't doing a full PCAP. Because Vectra only PCAPs the session when it triggers a detection, we didn't have to deploy hundreds of terabytes of storage across our network. So, we saved a lot of money there. There are $50,000 to $100,000 storage cost savings because it only captures the full packet capture for traffic that triggers detections. In terms of time, it has saved hundreds of hours. I can't even explain how happy we are with the amount of time it has saved us. Imagine the amount of time it would have taken us to deploy to 175 stores plus dozens of distribution centers and dozens of remote offices. Even if it was just one hour per location for deployment, that makes it hundreds of hours. Vectra, with being so easy to deploy and so easy to maintain and administer, has saved us hundreds of hours just on deployment and standing up the environment alone. I am not counting the maintenance and administration that come along with the solution.

What is most valuable?

We've got machine learning and AI detections, but we also have the traditional ability to create our own custom detections and rules that are important to us for compliance. When we were demoing other vendors, a large number of vendors let you make your own rules, but they don't provide their own rules and ML and AI rule engine, or they provide AI and ML, but they don't allow you to make your own rules. Vectra is very nice in that sense. We have detection rules that Vectra provides that are very common to the security industry, such as whenever there's a major event like the SolarWinds event. Those rules get built and deployed for us really quickly. We can manage our own, but then we also have the ML and the AI engine. We really like that. It is one of the few platforms that we've found to be supporting all three options.

What needs improvement?

They could provide distributed endpoint logging capability. We have a lot of remote workers nowadays in the day of the pandemic. If they're not connected to our VPN, then we're not capturing that traffic. So, the ability to do the traffic analysis for endpoints that are distributed would be cool. I have no idea how they would do that. I'm not aware of a single vendor that does that, but it would be cool if they could do that. To my knowledge, that's not really possible with the amount of compute power it would take on endpoints. It would be ridiculous. They'd have to really invent something new and novel that doesn't exist today in order to accomplish that. If they do, that would be great. Because I'm a customer already, I would use it.

Cost-wise, they're not cheap. They were definitely the most expensive option. Their licensing model is antiquated. We have to pay for licensing based on four different things. They need to simplify their licensing down to just one thing.

We have been using this solution for around 18 months.

I'm very happy with it. In the 18 months, I cannot recall any outage. We keep up on all the patching and maintenance, and there have been very few bugs. The SaaS product Recall has always been there when we use it. Our on-prem version has never broke. It seems very stable.

It has got no problem with scaling. We picked Vectra because it was able to scale up to our size fairly easily without scaling up the deployment and administration overhead. So, it scales really well. It has no problem handling our volume of data.

Their technical support is pretty good. They're very responsive. Nine out of 10 times, they understand my problem. They're not perfect, obviously, but at the end of the day, I got answers for the few issues for which I've had to use support. I can only think of one instance where it was painful, and that's why I say nine out of 10 instead of 10 out of 10. The guy just didn't understand what I was asking, and about seven emails later, it got triaged, and the next guy figured it out. Other than that, the first person I email in at support is able to answer my question in that initial response or just one extra email.

We did not use any similar solution.

We have a couple of SaaS-based products. We use Cognito, Recall, and Stream. Recall is their SaaS-based product where all the logs go into their hosted elastic search instance, which allows us to search and create custom rules and everything like that, and then we pull data from that environment into our on-prem environment. In terms of the deployment of the brain, that's all on-prem. All the sensors are on-prem obviously, but we do use Recall.

In terms of the effort involved in deployment considering that some of the pieces we use are SaaS-based, it was literally just a toggle switch and an API client and key in the interface, and then it was working. We had to wait for accounting to approve it, and it added a little bit more time to our deployment because of paperwork, but technically, it was pretty simple. We told them we wanted this, and by the time that we got our paperwork done, everything at their end was stood up and ready to go for us.

It does take two to three weeks for the brain to baseline and establish its ML baseline. The moment it was done with the two-week to three-week machine learning period, it was good. So, it started providing value after three or four weeks after deployment.

Their licensing model is antiquated. I'm not a fan of their licensing model. We have to pay for licensing based on four different things. You have to pay based on the number of unique IPs, the number of logs that we send through Recall and Stream, and the size of our environment. They need to simplify their licensing down to just one thing. It should be based on the amount of data, the number of devices, or something else, but there should be just one thing for everything. That's what they need to base their licensing on.

Cost-wise, they're not cheap. They were definitely the most expensive option, but you get what you pay for. They're not the cheapest option. I know that their prices scared away a couple of people who have demoed it in the past. Once they got their quote, they were like, "Well, see you later. We can't do this." So, that is an area that they come up short against other people.

We did evaluate other options. We evaluated rolling Bro or Zeek on our own. We evaluated Security Onion. We also evaluated Corelight and almost picked them. We also investigated a couple of solutions that are significantly more involved than Vectra, just like full managed solutions, but we decided not to do that.

The main reason for choosing Vectra over all the other solutions was twofold. One was the deployment time and routine administration costs. Its deployment was very simple. The amount of time it would take to deploy and configure was very low. The time it would take to maintain the environment was significantly lower than the other solutions and on par with Corelight.

The second reason for picking it up is that it allowed us to create our own detection rules. They build rules for us when there are major events, as well as they have the ML and AI engine. This was the only solution that was easy and fast to deploy and maintain, and that was giving us all three options for rule detection. That's why we went with them. Some of the solutions provided all three options, but they were a pain to configure and maintain, and some of them were easy to deploy and maintain, but they didn't provide all three options.

What other advice do I have?

It is pretty straightforward. Plug it in and use aggregators in front of the sensors to aggregate multiple tap sources into a single sensor. The sensors can handle it. They de-duplicate everything. There is no need to purchase a sensor for every tap. Truncate all that traffic into an aggregator and have it come out one feed into the sensor. There is no issue there with the Vectra sensor being able to carve out all that. They're powerful enough to do that. Vectra recommends that. So, if someone is purchasing Vectra, they're going to hear that from them. With Vectra, you're picking reliable and fast among cheap, reliable, and fast.

In terms of Vectra's ability to reduce alerts by rolling up numerous alerts to create a single incident or campaign for investigation, we do not generate a lot of incidents. We're pretty quick off the gun on detections. We're responding to detections before subsequent detections are detected and become an incident. We maybe get one incident a week, so I don't know if I can comment on that effectively.

We don't use privileged account analytics from Vectra for detecting issues with privileged accounts. In terms of its detection model for providing security around things like Power Automate or other anomalies at a deeper level, we don't use Power Automate, but we use their anomaly detection, and it is very interesting. While it always does provide us something interesting to look at, more times than not, it is our IT admin who does anomaly detection. So, we learn a lot, and it brings odd things to our attention, but with anomaly detection, it has usually been our IT admin.

In terms of Vectra helping our network's cybersecurity and risk-reduction efforts in the future, I'm hoping that one day, we can achieve even client-to-client inspection. Vectra should stay up with the times, and they shouldn't start coasting, which I don't see at all. They fill a good gap, and they do that well. We're just going to leave them filling that gap until the time comes where that is no longer a need, which I don't foresee. So, I don't know if they're going to do anything more than inspect network traffic and provide us an alerting engine on anomalous or malicious network traffic. That's their niche, so that's what they're going to do, probably just more of it. As we grow, we'll deploy more Vectra sensors to capture that extra traffic. I see them scaling very well.

I would rate this solution a solid eight out of 10. It loses a star for not adhering to Bro Logs in my book, and there is no perfect 10.

Project Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Straightforward solution with good support, visibility, and implementation
    • "It has helped us to organize our security. We get a better overview on what is happening on the network, which has helped us get quicker responses to users. If we see malicious activity, then we can quickly take action on it. Previously, we weren't getting an overview as fast as we are now, so we can now provide a quicker response."
    • "In comparison with a lot of systems I used in the past, the false positives are really a burden because they are taking a lot of time at this moment."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor what is happening on our network, especially to protect our network from malicious activity.

We also have the sensor into Office 365, so we can also monitor everything that is happening in there.

At the moment, we use it to monitor all our endpoints.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution's Privileged Account Analytics for detecting issues with privileged accounts is critical for our organization. Because of risk, we scan our entire network. We have a lot of segmented networks where clients can almost do nothing. If we just look into everything, then sometimes there is a bit of noise. When you select your privileged hosts or accounts, you can see how many things are left over and which are the most critical that need to be solved as soon as possible.

It notifies us if our Office 365 has been compromised. Even after business hours, I get personal emails. This is a temporary solution because we are working doing repetitive alerting, but that's a work in process. We are working on an integration with our authentication system that will be able to detect an account or device. We want to automate that process so the account will be locked out for a period of time.

Vectra is a detection system on top of our protection system. We do a lot of protection on our network, but that protection is a configuration based on human interaction, where there can also be human faults or errors in the system.

The solution captures network metadata at scale and enriches it with security information, e.g., we have sensors for Symantec antivirus and our virtual infrastructure. We are looking into extra sensors for enabling some things from Microsoft Defender. We integrated it into our Active Directory so we can do some user correlations, etc. It enriches the metadata on hosts and accounts, but that is mainly informative. It is good for us when making a final decision about some detections.

It has helped us to organize our security. We get a better overview on what is happening on the network, which has helped us get quicker responses to users. If we see malicious activity, then we can quickly take action on it. Previously, we weren't getting an overview as fast as we are now, so we can now provide a quicker response.

The visibility is much greater because of the behavior analysis and details that sometimes we have to put into it. On the firewall that we already have, sometimes we do manual lookups and check if everything is okay, then do research into it. Now, we put less effort into trying to manually do things to ensure that we have a good security model. We can see more how behavior changes with time, but that also requires us to put more time into the solution.

The solution gives us a baseline for users and their behaviors. We are able to establish which users have risky behaviors, then reach out to them and recommend better ways of doing things.

What is most valuable?

The hosts are critical hosts, which are really good when used to look up things as fast as you can because these could be very risky situations. Furthermore, within detections, we try to clean up a lot of things that are low in priority. It is same thing for the accounts within Office 365: Everything that is critical has to be solved as fast as possible.

The triaging is very interesting because we can do more with less work. We have more visibility, without too many false positives. It is a work in process because there are a lot of clients in the network, and everything has to be researched to see if it is valid, but most alerts and detections are solved with a bit of triaging.

The interface is very intuitive and easy to use. It gives a good overview, and it is important to understand what is happening on the network.

The integration within our virtualization infrastructure allows us to see the traffic that is going between virtual machines, even within our host. That gives us a lot more insights.

What needs improvement?

The solution’s ability to reduce false positives and help you focus on the highest-risk threats is mostly good. It is still a bit of work in process, but I can give feedback to the company from the help desk. There is follow-up from the Vectra team who follows it closely. We can also give a lot of inputs to make it still a better product. It's already a very good product, but in comparison with a lot of systems I used in the past, the false positives are really a burden because they are taking a lot of time at this moment.

The Office 365 integration is still a pretty new feature. I also have seen some improvements, and they email us with every step in the improvement process. I think that this integration will grow.

Every area has room from improvement. Security is an ongoing process. It is important for Vectra to keep updating their system based on new behaviors.

We would like to see the combination of the cloud with on-premise, e.g., what's happening in the cloud versus what's happening in the on-premise situation. If there is a phishing mail in the cloud, then the phishing mail comes in and a colleague clicks on that mail. Normally, it would be blocked by the system. However, when it's not blocked, then there can be malware on the system locally. We think it's important to get the integration of what's happening on Office 365 with phishing mails.

Sometimes, it is a bit noisy on the dashboard because all the systems are on one field. On the dashboard, we have a complete overview of high, medium, and low risks. However, it would be more interesting for us if they could split that dashboard into high, medium, and low devices. For example, there is a dashboard on a device with a complete overview specifically for high-risk.

It has been operational for a few months.

It runs very smoothly. It is stable.

We haven't had any issues in regards to the stability or performance. The interface works very quickly. There is no latency on the traffic.

It scales well.

For end users, we have about 10,00. On the administrative side, there are five to 10 system admins who use the information from the system for configuration and monitoring tasks.

The technical support is very good with fast responses. They reach out if they see there might be more questions. So, if you have a simple question, it could be that they elevate it to a more complex question to see what you really mean.

Seeing all the malware reaching out to CMC services from within our network, we reach out to those people via the help desk, and tell them, "Maybe you can scan this or that because those systems are managed by us." We get a lot of thanks from those people, which are often saying, "I did have some strange behavior on our systems, but I didn't know what it was. I wasn't doing anything about it, but thank you. It helps when you scan it, and the system is running better at the moment." In a completely unmanaged network with a lot of devices bring your own devices), it helps everybody.

The way that we can work with support to add feature requests is very interesting because it is an evolving world.

We didn't have a solution like Vectra previously.

The initial setup was completely straightforward. I didn't need any help. They delivered the device within the first weeks of COVID-19. The system is preconfigured from Vectra. I placed it in the server home, configured the network, and moved the Internet traffic out of the mailboxes, then I put it onto network so it was visible. In 30 minutes to an hour, everything was running.

We can sleep better.

As long as there is no full cycle attack, we will earn our money back.

Efficiency increased. There is less technical work to be done to ensure that nothing is happening from threats. Now, the system gives us the transparency that we need.

The solution has reduced the time it takes us to respond to attacks. In the past, it was difficult to know if something was happening because we didn't have an overview. Now, we know it very quickly because we have an overview of what is happening.

The pricing is high.

Darktrace was also pricey.

We also evaluated Darktrace. We made a decision to stop testing Darktrace very early on, so it is difficult to compare to Vectra.

We chose Vectra because of the solution's simplicity; it is more straightforward. Also, we liked Vectra's support, visibility, and implementation. The solution comes to a conclusion within Vectra about some detections. It was easier to find the technical details which were interesting without looking too deep. The correlation was good too. At the end of the proof of a concept, Vectra added some extra features. However, for finding the way into the system, it took us a lot more time.

We found that Vectra enables us to answer investigative questions that other solutions are unable to address. They provide a checklist regarding what we can do about detections. Because of this visibility, we don't have to do more investigations.

We have other systems, like Office 365, which do behavior analysis and some signature behavior analysis. However, Vectra does not gives that many false positives in comparison with other solutions. Also, we are now able to see the entire network and cloud.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking into this type of solution and have the money, then you certainly need to look into Vectra.

The campaigns are interesting when looking at the beginning of a campaign. The scope of false positives is a real issue in a network that continuously has a lot of new hosts, but we can cope with it. We have given some feedback to the help desk regarding coping with this matter.

We hope that we can keep it so we don't see a complete lifecycle of an attack.

We are planning to use more features of the solution in the future, e.g., automation. We also want to integrate it with more advanced client security features.

I would rate this solution as an eight of 10. There is still a lot of development going on with it.

Head of IT Security, Acting CISO at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    • "Cognito Streams gives you a detailed view of what happens in the network in the form of rich metadata. It is just a super easy way to capture network traffic for important protocols, giving us an advantage. This is very helpful on a day-to-day basis."
    • "If you hit a certain number of rules, triage filters, or groups, the UX responds more slowly. However, we have a complex network and a lot of rules. So, our setup might not be a typical implementation example. We even had UX engineers onsite, and they looked at issues, improvements, and user feedback. Since then, it has gotten a lot better, they even built in features that we specifically requested for our company."

What is our primary use case?

Our key challenges are:

1. People Management: It is always a struggle to coordinate the few people that we have with the necessary skills to put them on the most important topics or projects.
    2. Cloud adoption complexity: You need to figure out which systems, applications, and interfaces are talking to which cloud component in terms of data flow. That is a rather complex topic and usually sold well by the external supplier in terms of marketing to a company. Practically speaking, it is very difficult to elaborate all the connection requirements, on-prem to cloud, cloud to cloud, e.g., what is running where, what should run, and what is not running as it should.

Cognito Platform: We are using the latest on-premises version and some of the cloud services too.

We are mainly operating out of Switzerland. The IT Departments are based in our headquarters.

We have a large network with a lot of points of sales and other geographical locations that are interconnected. We need visibility of all the client-initiated traffic to and from our main data centers and to the Internet. We have good network coverage. Vectra is deployed on different hotspots in our network.

How has it helped my organization?

We can detect systems that are not behaving right because they are not configured correctly. We detect access to malicious sites or domains that should not be there, which should have been picked up by our security services that we implement at different times at different types of levels in the network. This is kind of an add-on to all the existing prevention mechanisms and helps us with network hygiene.

Due to an optimal signal-to-noise ratio that Vectra delivers, it gives us confidence to have a realistic chance of catching and stopping real attacks on time.

One of its strongest parts is that the solution captures network metadata at scale and enriches it with security information. We forward events to our team, then we can correlate them even better.

We have almost our complete network covered. This solution is like the absolute base coverage for us. You don't get many alerts, and if you get one, you better look at it because it is a good quality alert. After verification, we respond accordingly. Vectra AI brings great visibility. Without it, we would be blind.

The solution has enabled us to do things now that we could not do before. With Streams enabled, we can easily find out who is using SMB v1, as an example. So, it is a kind of hunting in the network. If you have a detection and need proof, you have network capture. In terms of searching accounts or assets, it is a great platform that allows us to use the default search, i.e., searching for a hostname/IP or the advanced queries for complex searches. This allows you to search back in time, which is very convenient, i.e., if one specific host has had detections in the past.

What is most valuable?

The Office 365 detection is a great add-on. It will not only see the local traffic, i.e., the local user but also how the user is connecting to the cloud. If communication has been initiated within our network, we would capture anomalies with on-premises mechanisms. If it is a connection from the Internet to O365 SaaS services, we gain visibility through the Vectra add-on. It depends where the communication was started, but we do have a good, complete picture in a single view.

Vectra AI is really focusing on the most critical, severe detections. That is the key point of this platform for us. It gives you enough details and data, if you need it. However, for daily operations, we are just getting the priority 1 alerts that we need, and nothing more.

We use the solution’s Privileged Account Analytics for detecting issues with privileged accounts. This is important to our organization because you need to monitor and control privileged accounts.

The detection model and correlation of events, e.g., you are only having one priority event a day, go hand in hand. They have awesome detection models and very good algorithms. Out-of-the-box, you get a decent severity matrix and great consolidation. This is what has made this platform so usable to us over the last three to four years. We can rely on these detections and on its event generating mechanism that clearly focuses on the most important priority one cases.

What needs improvement?

We know that Vectra AI sensors for cloud IaaS deployments have been released and we are planning to deploy those shortly.

We have been using it for four years.

Great! Currently, our Brain shows 190 days uptime (last reboot initiated by us). There have been no operational issues at all. I can't complain.

Scalability is another very good selling point. It is easy to deploy virtual sensors as well as other sensors, which is a big plus.

We have a team of three people, mainly security officers, who are investigating or following up on detections and alerts. We also use the Vectra AI Sidekick Services, which helps a lot by providing a skillful set of people who look into things with a great customer perspective. We have roughly 20 to 30 people who, from time to time, get details on detections or campaigns that they need to look at.

The technical support is fast, customer-oriented, and has a great skill set.

When we started with Vectra AI, we noticed certain things that could be done better from the UI experience and workflow. We had a lot of input. They built this into their software. Some of the features that customers use today are there because we said, "Well, guys do it like that because everybody can profit from that," and they said, "Well, that is a great idea. Let's do it."

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We did not use another solution before Cognito.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We already had an existing on-prem installation, so adding Office 365 detection was straightforward. It took about half an hour.

After we deployed this solution in our network, it took about two weeks for it to begin to add value to our security operations.

They brought in the requirements and said, "We need this amount of time, as well as this type of rack, space, power, and network configuration." We prepared that, then they were able to set things up in a very short manner. It took maybe a day, then we were set and traffic was flowing in. This was one of our smoothest installations in the last years. After two days, we saw all the needed network traffic. So, implementation and initial setup were very fast.

We are still a happy customer after four years.

In terms of detection, we have seen ROI from finding out stuff as well as preventing, hunting, and intelligence gathering.

We looked at least five different vendors, including Cisco and Darktrace, in PoCs.

Vectra AI said what they are able to do in terms of detection and performance in their sales pitch, which they proved later in their technical PoC, to the point. They were actually the only ones who could.

Vectra AI has a very short deployment time compared to other solutions that we tried.

What other advice do I have?

Do a PoC. Only a PoC will show you if something works or not. I know it takes time but do a POC or a test installation. We did the PoC directly in the production network, which was the best thing to do as we got results very quickly.

Vectra AI enables you to see more. It is their visibility strength that makes the platform so great. Because they really look at severity conditions and do a great correlation, it is time invested wisely. If Vectra shows a high score threat, you must look after it.

In terms of our security stack, this is the most essential cybersecurity tool we use. We are planning to use Vectra as well in the cloud. If they are able to deliver the same performance and capabilities in the cloud sensor, then it will be a really strong foundation that everybody should have in one way or the other.

There is manual input i.e., Triaging is something that you have to do. But in terms of workflow, it has been designed by security people for security people. It provides a very smooth and fast way to set up manual rules or triage filters.

I would rate this solution as 10 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
    Head of Information Security at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables us to understand what our normal traffic is, then pulls out the anomalies for us
    • "It has reduced the time it takes to respond to attacks. That comes back to the proactive point. It makes us able to lower down in the kill chain, we can react now, rather than reacting to incidents that happened, we can see an instant, in some cases, as it's being implemented, or as it's being launched."
    • "The false positives and the tuning side of it is something that could use improvement. But that could be from our side."

What is our primary use case?

Vectra AI sits across our entire estate, we have an outsource provider for a lot of our backend systems. It sits in theirs and it sits in our own estates. It's deployed across our other numerous offices across the country. It sits across our entire state.

How has it helped my organization?

We don't have very much in the way of IDS or IPS on our estate, so we're relying on Vectra AI to do that sort of work for us. We're allowing that to look at our traffic and to flag up to us on our system. It helps my analysts investigate other things. We might get other alerts in the estate, Vectra AI is one of the first tools that they'll jump onto, to do further investigation of alerts that are raised up to them. It's a really good tool, not just for what it throws up, but for us to dig into our network as well.

What is most valuable?

What is pretty good is the unknown unknowns. It's the anomalies to the norm and the intelligence behind it that helps us to dig through a mountain of data and find the stuff that's important to us.

It allows us to understand what our normal traffic is, then pulls out the anomalies for us. For instance, a recent use case of it would be that it suddenly picked up that a file transfer was happening out of our estate that we weren't aware of. It hadn't been there before. There was a file transfer that suddenly appeared, that was actually in our estate that hadn't been there before. We would never have been able to see that normally, it's just that Vectra AI saw it. It was okay, it was going to a third-party and it allowed us to investigate it and find it but we would never have seen that without a notification. It understands what should be happening and then usually says "This isn't normal," and it allows us to flag it up and dig deeper into that.

It is very good at reducing alerts by rolling up numerous sellers to create a single incident or campaign for investigation. Although it doesn't reduce, it actually increases our alerts because we wouldn't have seen the stuff in the first place, but when it does create an alert, it pulls all investigative information together. We're not getting hundreds of alerts, we're getting alerts that contain all of the relevant components.

Vectra AI captures network metadata at scale and enriches it with security information. Although, we don't make the most of that, but we've never had a problem with its captures and it captures the correct data for what we want it to do. I think we could be using it better.

The information affects investigations by our security team by allowing them to be more effective and quicker in their investigations.

Vectra AI provides visibility into behaviors across the full life cycle of an attack in our network, beyond just the internet gateway. Although, we found it's flagging up early, so it's not developing to that further stage of that because it's flagging up at an early stage.

Its ability to reduce false positives takes quite a bit of tuning. We've had to put a lot of effort into tuning out false positives, so that's something that we've had to invest our time into. Obviously it's getting better and better as time goes on, but we still have to spend time tuning it.

We've seen our tuning has lessened those processes, but we're still getting more than we would want. That's probably some of our fault. It could be some issues with the way it's set up in certain areas. But, once we tune them out, they're staying tuned out.

It hasn't reduced the security analyst workload in our organization but that was never the purpose of it for us. It's an additional tool in our armory, so it hasn't reduced our workload, but it's made us more efficient.

It makes the team more efficient in speed of response. I would say it makes them more efficient in the breadth of their coverage of what they can respond to. It makes us have a more proactive response to incidents.

It has reduced the time it takes to respond to attacks. That comes back to the proactive point. It makes us able to lower down in the kill chain. We can react now, rather than reacting to incidents that happened, we can see an instant, in some cases, as it's being implemented, or as it's being launched.

It's not all attacks, but I would say that it's a shift less on the material chain. It's things that we might not even have spotted if it hadn't been for Vectra AI, so it's difficult to know how we would quantify that as an amount.

What needs improvement?

The false positives and the tuning side of it are some things that could use improvement but that could be from our side.

I don't want to criticize the product for performance with our role out of it. It does what it says it's going to do very well. We've got issues with the way we've deployed it in some places, but the support we've had in that is very good as well, so I'm very happy with the support we get.

My company has been using Vectra AI for three years. I've been here for eight or nine months now, but the company has just been using it for three years.

We've had absolutely no issues with stability at all.

Scalability is obviously based around the size of the clients that we have. We have had some issues around scalability but that's only because when it was implemented before my time but I know it is scalable. Obviously, we have to put some thought into that, some planning into that from our side, but it is limited on the size of the boxes. To summarize, yes, it is scalable, but it needs planning.

We have four users who use it in my company who are cybersecurity analysts.

Vectra AI is on everything apart from the clouds. Now we're on a journey towards more and more cloud. At least 70% of our company is covered by it.

We do have plans to increase usage. We want to move to the cloud.

The support is excellent. We've had really good technical support from Vectra AI all the time. We have very regular catch-ups with them. They always pick the right people to do the calls, and we even have deep-dive sessions with our analysts with them and provide us with training. They've been excellent.

We didn't have anything in place before Vectra AI.

I have used another solution in the past. I used Darktrace where I was before. It compares very favorably with Darktrace. I wouldn't say it was any better or worse.

The UI is quite different, but apart from that, there are obviously slight differences in the analytics behind it, but I'd be struggling to say that one of them was better than the other. They both seem to do what I do well. Vectra AI is a little bit more honest about their capabilities than Darktrace is.

I don't think Vectra AI enables us to answer investigative questions that other solutions are unable to address. I know that there are other solutions that could do it as well. They're as good as everything else out there, but I wouldn't go and say they're massively better. The thing that sells it for me is that the support has been very good. That's one of the bits that keeps me with them.

ROI depends on how you quantify that in security. It's really difficult to quantify what you find to a monetary value. We do see a return on investment because it's a good tool that we're using well and it's helping us to keep the company secure. It's really difficult to quantify a monetary value on that or say that you've got return on your investment. I wouldn't want to be without it. You can't put a price on security.

They compare very favorably against the competition in terms of price. Nothing in this area is cheap. There is a lot of value in the products that you're buying, but they have come in at the right price for us in comparison to others. I would say that they're competitive in their pricing.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to make sure it is planned and deployed properly. That's a problem with my organization, not a problem with Vectra AI. Otherwise, if you don't build it to the specifications that you were told to, you're going to spend your whole life trying to fix a problem that shouldn't be there. My advice would be the plan and implement as per the plan.

I would rate Vectra AI a nine out of ten.

Mark Davies - PeerSpot reviewer
    Security Operations Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Filters out the noise and streamlines the investigation process and our ability to get to root cause
    • "The dashboard gives me a scoring system that allows me to prioritize things that I should look at. I may not necessarily care so much about one event, whereas if I have a single botnet detection or a brute force attack, I really want to get on top of those."
    • "I'd like to be able to get granular reports and to be able to output them into formats that are customizable and more useful. The reporting GUI is lacking."

What is our primary use case?

We use Vectra AI to sniff the network using Ixia taps so that we can identify potentially malicious activity on the network and at all points of the kill chain. What it's exceptionally good at doing is correlating seemingly unrelated events.

It's in our data center, but the versioning is controlled by Vectra. They push it out discreetly so I don't have any touch on that.

How has it helped my organization?

We have 89,000 concurrent IPS that we're analyzing and it's distilled it down to under 1,000 IP addresses that warrant deeper investigation. It's filtering out 99 percent of the traffic that would otherwise be noise, noise that we would never get through.

The solution captures network metadata at scale and enriches it with security information, but that's because we are using the API calls to inject our CMDB data into the brain. It speeds things up quite significantly. Being an enterprise, sometimes it can take a day or two just to find the person responsible for looking after a particular server or service. This way, the information is right there at our fingertips. When we open up the GUI, if we have a detection we look at the detection and see the server belongs to so-and-so. We can reach out to that party directly if we need to. It streamlines the investigation process by having the data readily available to us and current. Each one is unique, but typically, from initial detection to completion of validation (that it's innocuous or that there's something else is going on) it's within 24 to 48 hours

It also provides visibility into behaviors across the full lifecycle of an attack in our network, beyond just internet gateway. It gives us visibility for when something is inside the network and it's maybe doing a lateral movement that it wouldn't normally be doing. Or if we have a system that has suddenly popped up on the network and we can see that it's a wireless router, for example, we pick that up right away. We can see it and we can deal with it. If people put unauthorized devices on the network — a wireless router from home — we can pick that up right away and deal with it.

In addition, Vectra triages threats and correlates them with compromised host devices. We can do a search based on the threat type and get the host. It streamlines things and makes it faster to get to the root cause of an issue.

And while it hasn't reduced the security analyst workload in our company, it has reduced the workload in that analysts are not having to look at stuff that absolutely means nothing. There is still a lot to do, but it has allowed us to focus better on the workload that needs to be done.

It has also increased our security efficiency. It has reduced the time it takes us to respond to attacks by 100 percent. If you're not aware of it you can't respond to it. Now, it's making us aware of it so we can respond to it, which is a 100 percent improvement.

The solution enables us to answer investigative questions that other solutions are unable to address. We will detect the fact that there is some suspicious domain activity going on — a DNS query is going out to MGAs and it really shouldn't be. The other systems are just passing that through, not even realizing that it shouldn't be happening. We see them and we can take action on them.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard gives us a scoring system that allows prioritization of detections that need attention. We may not necessarily be so concerned about any single detection type, or event, but when we see any botnet detections or a brute force attack detections, we really want to get on top of those.

What needs improvement?

The solution's ability to reduce false positives wasn't very good, initially, because it was picking up so much information. It took the investment of some time and effort on our part to get the triage filters in place in such a fashion that it was filtering out the noise. Once we got to that point, then there was definitely value in time-savings and in percolating up the high-risk events that we need to be paying attention to.

I'd like to be able to get granular reports and to be able to output them into formats that are customizable and more useful. The reporting GUI is lacking.

I've been using Vectra for three years.

The stability is excellent.

We've had no issues so far with the scalability. Right now, it covers about 90 percent of our network. We are considering increasing the usage to incorporate it in the new cloud environments that we're standing up.

Their technical support is excellent.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but I was involved in a review of the setup when I took it over, to make sure that it is doing what it's supposed to be doing. The initial setup would have been straightforward, but it would have been very large.

The implementation strategy would have been to make sure that it got to all the places that it needed to be, and to work out a way to make that happen by getting the Ixia taps into the right locations in our enterprise.

In terms of staff from our side involved in deployment, it's web-based so there weren't a lot. Maintenance is ongoing from Vectra and they do it on the back-end. It just works. It's a black box for us.

What other advice do I have?

Take time to understand how the triage filtering works and standardize it early on. Use a  standardized naming convention and be consistent.

It's a very effective tool, but if you don't pay attention to what it's telling you, then it's like anything else. If you don't use it, then it's no good. You have to trust that what it's telling you is correct and then you can take the appropriate action.

For the most part, the users who log into it in our company are people on the security operations team. It's pretty much a closed tool. Access is limited to the people in the security center of excellence.

In terms of the solution's ability to reduce alerts by rolling up numerous alerts to create a single incident or campaign for investigation, we don't use it that way. We've set up enough triage filters over the course of the last year-and-a-half to get all the noise out of the way; stuff that is either innocuous or really isn't bad. Then we're focusing on what's left, which is typically, for lack of a better term, the bad stuff or the stuff that we need to pay attention to.

Regarding the solution's privileged account analytics for detecting issues with privileged accounts, we've used it, but not to the extent that we would like to. We just don't have enough manpower to be able to do that at this point. But it's important because we can see when an account is doing something that it shouldn't be doing, or that it doesn't normally do, or that it's connecting to a place that it doesn't normally connect to, or that it's escalating its privileges unexpectedly. We see all that and then we can respond accordingly.

Head of Information Security at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Highly successful in detecting red team engagements and giving clear broad-level assurance
    • "The administrative privilege detection feature is the most valuable feature. The admin accounts are often highly accessible to the high-risk component of the environment. If those accounts are compromised or are being used in a suspicious manner, that's high-fidelity events for us to look into."
    • "Integration with other security components needs improvement. It should have true integration as opposed to just being a separate pane of glass."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cognito.

The biggest challenge we face in protecting the organization against cyber attacks is mean time to detection, operating from a position of an assumed breach. Then being able to detect breaches or malicious traffic within the environment as quickly as possible to reduce dwell time.

We have a small environment with only 300 users. It's very technically focused given the market that we operate in. There are two data centers, four offices, a small IT and security team. Cognito allows us to make the best investment for the most return, given we don't have dedicated SOC analysts looking at a SIEM environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Cognito is highly successful in detecting red team engagements and giving clear broad-level assurance and confidence in the product.

It captures network metadata at scale and enriches it with security information. The add-on of Recall is an invaluable investigation tool. It's able to look back and triage incidents.

We have been enabled to do things now that we could not do before:

• There is more detailed visibility into network behavior.
    • We have the ability to pull out anomalies.
    • The high-fidelity alerts allow our team to focus on what's important.

What is most valuable?

The administrative privilege detection feature is the most valuable feature. The admin accounts are often highly accessible to the high-risk component of the environment. If those accounts are compromised or are being used in a suspicious manner, those are high-fidelity events for us to look into.

Its ability to reduce alerts by rolling up numerous alerts to create a single incident or campaign for investigation is very useful. Given that we are not a dedicated SOC environment, having to trawl through several false positives is not something that we have the capacity for.

Cognito theoretically provides us with visibility into behaviors across the full lifecycle of an attack in our network beyond just the internet gateway. It has not been fully tested. But hypothetically it would give us full visibility into your attack chain.

We use privileged account analytics for detecting issues with privileged accounts.

What needs improvement?

Integration with other security components needs improvement. It should have true integration as opposed to just being a separate pane of glass.

I have been using Vectra AI for three years.

Their stability is bulletproof.

We're using it across our entire estate, so we don't have plans to increase usage. It's been adopted 100%.

Their support is excellent. They're very responsive. Exactly as you would hope for from a vendor, which is rare.

Vectra AI displaced an EOL North South solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

We had appliances in each physical data center. It took three or four days to see results.

Deployment time is equivalent to other solutions we have tried. The learning curve and speed of efficiencies are higher coming from Vectra.

We deployed it with the assistance of Vectra. Our experience with them was exceptional. The engineers knew the product. Vectra is extremely responsive to assisting with technical issues. It was a very good experience.

It's hard to scientifically quantify ROI but I would say we have seen ROI, certainly from the risk and threat perspective.

After we deployed the solution it instantly began to add value to our security operations.

Pricing is comfortable. I have no issues with the pricing structure at the moment.

There are no additional costs that I'm aware of unless you layer on MSP, additional soft services, or professional services. But for the solution itself, I don't believe there are.

We looked at Darktrace.

What other advice do I have?

I think the solution would help the network, cybersecurity, and risk reduction efforts in the future if we were to adopt a SOC, it would be a key threat feed to that environment. As they continue to iterate and enhance the product, it's a critical security component for us now and for the future.

Two security senior analysts work on this solution.

My advice to anybody considering this solution is: don't delay. It does exactly what it's sold to do. It does it efficiently and effectively.

I would rate Vectra AI Cognito a nine out of ten.

Download our free Vectra AI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022