We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Trend Micro Deep Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Trend Micro Deep Security is #1 ranked solution in top Virtualization Security tools and best Cloud Security companies. PeerSpot users give Trend Micro Deep Security an average rating of 8 out of 10. Trend Micro Deep Security is most commonly compared to Trend Micro Apex One: Trend Micro Deep Security vs Trend Micro Apex One. Trend Micro Deep Security is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 39% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Trend Micro Deep Security?

The Trend Micro Cloud and Data Center Security solution protects applications and data and prevents business disruptions, while helping meet regulatory compliance. Whether you are focused on securing physical virtual, cloud, or hybrid environments, Trend Micro provides the advanced server security you need  with the Trend Micro™ Deep Security™ platform.

Trend Micro Deep Security was previously known as Deep Security.

Trend Micro Deep Security Buyer's Guide

Download the Trend Micro Deep Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Trend Micro Deep Security Customers

Rush University Medical Center, Guess? Inc., Mazda Motor Logistics Europe, MEDHOST, KSC Commercial Internet Co., Ricoh Company Ltd., Square Enix, SoftBank Telecom, Telecom Italia, United Way of Greater Atlanta, A&W Food Services of Canada

Trend Micro Deep Security Video

Trend Micro Deep Security Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Trend Micro Deep Security pricing:
  • "We pay a yearly fee of between $10,000 and $15,000."
  • "It is a very expensive solution. It would be nice if they lower its price. Its license is based on the machines."
  • "It's more expensive than other solutions, such as Sophos and Kaspersky, as an endpoint solution."
  • "The pricing is okay. Deep Security is single-server license-based, so it will work based on how many licenses you have procured. There is a yearly subscription for each license."
  • Trend Micro Deep Security Reviews

Sachin B
    IT Executive at IFB
    MSP
    Each and every IP connecting to the server gets scanned so we can block whichever IPs do not belong to us at the firewall
    • "In terms of valuable features, I would say its intrusion prevention. Each and every IP connecting to the server gets scanned so we know everyone who is accessing our server and we can block whichever IP's do not belong to us at the firewall."
    • "As for what could be improved, I think it should come with an XDR facility without any extra cost. They're always releasing new features, but we need to pay extra for them."

What is our primary use case?

We are using two products. One is Trend Mirco Deep Security, and the other is Apex One. We use Apex One for endpoint protection and Deep Security for server protection.

It scans for intrusion prevention and the forensics of any threats.

How has it helped my organization?

On the product side, they have done multiple upgrades. When we started with Trend Micro they offered us the OfficeScan agent. It is a malware product. After that, it upgraded to Worry-Free. Then we moved to Apex One. So Trend Micro offered all the upgrades. Since we are in the manufacturing industry our focus is mainly on production and we don't consider IT much. In this regard, we are not upgrading our hardware much. We are using the same hardware for five, six, seven years.

However, Trend Micro does not support less than Windows 7. So that is a drawback for us. Otherwise, the functioning of the product is very good.

What is most valuable?

In terms of valuable features, I would say its intrusion prevention. Each and every IP connecting to the server gets scanned so we know everyone who is accessing our server and we can block whichever IPs do not belong to us at the firewall.

Another valuable feature is its lightweight nature. It is only 25 MB deployed in the server, yet it works smoothly, and everything is automated, including the updates and scans. We have scheduled scans that give us a weekly report.

What needs improvement?

As for what could be improved, I think it should come with an XDR facility without any extra cost. They're always releasing new features, but we need to pay extra for them. Our management is a little conservative about paying for new features. So if they're upgrading something or coming out with a new technology, they should provide it to the existing users. Recently, I attended a webinar that XDR gave about their new threat finding features and we have not received them yet. They are not giving it to existing customers. They are only offering it for purchase. It is for threat forensic reports.

I'm not asking for free, since we are already paying. Whenever they come out with a new thing, they should integrate it with the existing product. That is my opinion.

Additionally, we need a complete web reputation. We need to be able to do forensics for any incoming threat, to find details of the source of the threat, and to catch the '"enemy."

We have been using Trend Micro Deep Security for the last two years.

In terms of stability, it is very good at finding malware, threats, etc... There is no virus problem, no external threats, no data leak. It is good for now.

We have not experienced any bugs, or glitches, or crashes.

Before we started using Trend Micro were using McAfee. We switched because we got a ransomware attack back in 2016. It wasn't safe enough. It was one of the first attacks in India and our management said that McAfee was not ready for it. They had not upgraded their signature and it had multiple systems attacked. After that, management decided to switch to another product and that's when we started using Trend Micro. For the last four or five years we have not had any problems.

The initial setup and deployment are not complex. The infrastructure is very good to operate.

The deployment of the agent is very lightweight. It takes about 10 minutes to complete.

We deployed under the consultation of Trend Micro. But I can also manage it. When we run into any actual problem only then do we contact Trend Micro. Otherwise, it is running smoothly.

As a user, I am not finding any drawbacks or problems in this security product. But I do see in some forums comments about issues other customers are facing. I know there are multiple products in the market that are maybe better than Trend Micro. That is why I came to your site and researched other solutions. I have found that Palo Alto is better than Trend Micro. But we have not tested it yet, so I requested from Palo Alto Networks to show us some other products. They are coming next week to show us. If we find that they are better than Trend Micro we will switch. But overall, Trend Micro is working very well.

We had also evaluated Symantec in the past.

What other advice do I have?

I am satisfied with the product. As I mentioned, sometimes we feel some other features should be included. For example, the complete system control and web reputation. Regarding web reputation, I am a little limited because although we are blocking some sites, they are able to access those sites from out of our network. In other words, the restriction should be permanent whether it is done on-premises or on the internet. That is a drawback.

I can recommend it because it is good product. I have experience with other products as well and they have failed in the security field. That why I'm working with Trend Micro now.

The user interface in Trend Micro is very helpful. They have some study videos and some process videos included in the portal itself. So when we are in any system or get a warning or any critical error we can resolve it on the spot because we have the solution attached to the data error. That is something good thing they have done in the portal. With the instructions they have given we can see what we need to do so we can get it resolved by our self. We can learn the things on our own with no need to go to support.

On a scale of one to ten I would rate Trend Micro Deep Security an eight.

Technical Director at a security firm with 1-10 employees
    Scalable and secure with an easy initial setup
    • "The solution is quite secure."
    • "The product isn't very user-friendly."

What is most valuable?

As a security competency company, we play a lot on this product. For us, it's one of the best for data center solutions. Deep Security is something that is a classic antivirus. However, it uses two-function device control. Everything is inside. We have virtual patching capabilities, which are very interesting in Deep Security. Virtual patching is just a host IPS solution which, if there is a delay in installing the patch, the patch is available by the editor.

It's a good product overall.

There is not a lot of bugs like you have in other antivirus solutions. It's quite stable.

The initial setup is pretty easy.

The solution is scalable.

The solution is quite secure.

What needs improvement?

The main drawback is that it's complicated. With Trend Micro solutions, everything is complicated. Deep Security has its own management console, and every product in Trend Micro has its own management console. Everything is siloed. Now, they are trying now to connect everything inside the main control management or reporting console, however, it's still not a central management console. It makes for a lot of work when applying policies and security solutions.

The product isn't very user-friendly.

It's a bit old-fashioned in its design and approach.

While, for example, McAfee might have a new version every two months, Trend Micro might not release a new version for two years. While it's very stable, it could be a bit too long in-between versions.

It would be ideal if the solution communicated better with other security solutions from other brands. This is an issue. They need to open up their API or give access, or exchange information with other security products so that everything can communicate together, learn from each other, and block malicious threats better.

We've been using the solution for a long time. It's been three or four years or so.

The stability is very good. There aren't a lot of bugs or glitches. In comparison, for example, Sophos has some bugs and McAfee has a lot of bugs. When they give you a new version, you know that you have to wait for the service pack, to be sure that it will be up and running in production.

This product doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The thing users need to understand about the solution is that Deep Security is not by default meant to manage 100,000 PCs. It's for data centers, and it's for less than 300 servers at the same time. That said, even a big company doesn't have a lot of servers available. In terms of scalability, we don't find a limit for the moment based on the customer base we have.

You can also scale via the cloud. It's very flexible and you can deploy on command, on a virtual server in the cloud.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. We only call them, from time to time, if we can't figure out the answer ourselves. While four or so years ago they weren't as fast, not we get a quick response. Over the past year, we've been quite pleased with the level of support.

We're familiar with older versions of McAfee. We are playing with Sophos for the UTM, the NG Firewall, and for the antivirus, Sophos Intercept X. I've also worked with Kaspersky.

Which is best depends on the client. While Kaspersky, for example, is good for smaller clients, Trend Micro is better for medium to larger ones. However, the solution isn't something you just set and forget. You have to take details, verify, validate, and be aware that a small change will not produce too many logs on the threat detection.

The implementation process is not very complex. If the initial setup is just replacing a competitor antivirus with Trend Micro, it's very easy. The only thing you have to be sure of is that you are setting up the right functionality. Trend Micro Deep Security, has a lot of functions. If you want a classic antivirus, there are very few functions to set up. However, if you want a specific functionality, there may be more steps. There will be more fine-tuning that is required to make sure you are well-protected.

When you have start Deep Security on something that was not equipped with an antivirus, or equipped with, let's say, Bitdefender or Windows Defender, you have very few protections. If you don't take care of covering all these safety functions, you'll be vulnerable. That said, you need to be careful of which functions you activate. You need to make sure it makes sense in terms of the rest of your setup.

What other advice do I have?

It's been one of the four main antivirus solutions, deployed in an industrial way. We've been quite happy with it. You can deploy it on-premises or the cloud, and it's possible to use it with Windows and Linux.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with it and found it to be quite secure.

Of course, next-generation solutions such as Crowd Strike or Carbon Black are game-changing.

Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Deep Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    566,406 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Security Advisor at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good EDR and DLP but requires better automation
    • "DLP, Data Loss Prevention, and the complexity of how we manage the console and how this client, or this tool, will notify us when there is something going wrong within the server and endpoint, is good."
    • "The risk is very complex. We need our tools to be more intelligent, more automated, more detectable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for the server. We're using Trend Micro Deep Security to protect our servers. We have more than 400 of them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect, that we didn't find until now with Deep Security, is the EDR - endpoint detection and response - a feature that comes with the version that we have now.

DLP, Data Loss Prevention, and the complexity of how we manage the console and how this client, or this tool, will notify us when there is something going wrong within the server and endpoint is good. This feature we didn't see very well developed with Trend Micro solution at first.

What needs improvement?

The risk is very complex. We need our tools to be more intelligent, more automated, more detectable. They could improve all of those aspects. I'd specifically like to see automation in terms of detection and auto mitigation.

The integration could be better. When we need to integrate a full console to manage endpoints and servers in the same place, we need to understand better how to deploy it so we don't need an agent or something else to deploy the solution to monitor everything.

The initial setup can be difficult.

The stability is good. We haven't dealt with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

It's not very scalable or automatically scalable. If you want to be scalable, you need to add more licensing, to add more costs. If you want to be scalable and have more capabilities, you need to buy more.

We use the solution to cover all of our servers and Trend Micro in general to cover all of our assets.

I've never dealt with technical support directly. However, my colleague has, and their feedback has been positive. They have no complaints.

For endpoints, for clients themselves, we use Endpoint Protection for Windows 8 and Windows 7. We still use Trend Micro Endpoint Protection. Also, for all our server VDIs, virtual servers, and physical servers, we use Trend Micro Security.

The solution is difficult to set up, maintain, and manage. There are a lot of options, a lot of buttons, a lot for new items. It's not very user-friendly. You need a lot of training to be able to manage and implement the solution correctly.

We have two system admins that manage servers. You need two people to manage and maintain the solution.

We did not use an integrator or consultant. We have a small team. We handled things internally. For the first implementation, however, we did have an integrator's support and they would assist when we ran into issues.

We pay a yearly fee of between $10,000 and $15,000. There are no costs beyond the standard licensing fee. However, if you need to scale, you will have to buy more licenses.

We are researching another solution right now. Our strategy is to find the last best version that Trend Micro has for covering endpoint detection and response.  We scaled for the next version that we have now, and we are seeing if other solutions help more. We're looking into the Kaspersky Endpoint Suite.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

While I don't know the version number off-hand, we are using the latest version of the solution.

New users must assess their exact needs from their side before starting. Look in the market, look at the risk, look at the problem of cyber security for other clients and the chances of attack, et cetera. Look also at the infrastructure, such as the type of machines - if they are full cloud, on-prem, or hybrid.

You must make an assessment locally, internally. When the customer has these visibilities, he can go to the market and select which solution, or which two or three solutions, can best suit the company's needs. Do a proof of concept and try it. Look at the cost and the ratio quality cost, as that'll definitely be determinant for the decision.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

Nadeem Syed
    CEO at Haniya Technologies
    Reseller
    Cloud-based, great for patch management, saves time, and can be installed remotely
    • "Patch management is most valuable. The major selling point of Deep Security is that it is based on the cloud. Deep Security is for the servers and databases of data centers, and generally, for patch management, you have to shut down the machines, and then you have to restart them. So, they need shutdown time, which is a cost. Big enterprises don't want to shut down their database or their data center for any kind of patch. Deep Security creates a wall and downloads all patches. You install it on the cloud. So, it saves your server from any kind of intrusion or any kind of penetration, and whenever you get a chance or time, in six, eight, or nine months, you can physically download or install all those patches in one go. So, it saves you time. It also saves your shutdown time and keeps your data center safe."
    • "It should have XDR and EDR integration. It would be nice if they can tie it up with an XDR or EDR."

What is most valuable?

Patch management is most valuable. The major selling point of Deep Security is that it is based on the cloud. Deep Security is for the servers and databases of data centers, and generally, for patch management, you have to shut down the machines, and then you have to restart them. So, they need shutdown time, which is a cost. Big enterprises don't want to shut down their database or their data center for any kind of patch. Deep Security creates a wall and downloads all patches. You install it on the cloud. So, it saves your server from any kind of intrusion or any kind of penetration, and whenever you get a chance or time, in six, eight, or nine months, you can physically download or install all those patches in one go. So, it saves you time. It also saves your shutdown time and keeps your data center safe.

Along with patching, they also provide antivirus protection on the servers.

What needs improvement?

It should have XDR and EDR integration. It would be nice if they can tie it up with an XDR or EDR.

Its price is also quite high. It is more expensive than other products for patching. So, it would be nice if they lower its price.

We have been providing this solution for about two to three years.

It is very stable. That's why it is doing so well. They have already captured 90% of the financial market in our country.

I won't say that it is scalable. It is the final product, but it has a few add-ons. You can add other products of Trend Micro, for example, XDR or EDR, along with DDI, but you can't scale Deep Security to another level. It is the final product.

It is a very expensive solution, so it has mostly been used at an enterprise level. Around 90% of the customers belong to the financial sector, and around 95% of banks in Pakistan are using it.

They have a pretty good support system. The best part is that they have their support team on the ground in Pakistan. They also have a support team back at their headquarters. Along with that, they have built a support team at the distributor level. They have also trained the partners. So, support is quite good and efficient.

Its installation is pretty easy. You can do the installation remotely because it is on the cloud, so you have access from anywhere.

Installation duration depends on how many servers you have, but it normally takes about four to five days. It is not just the installation. After installing it, you also have to do testing and other stuff.

You do need certified engineers for it.

It is a very expensive solution. It would be nice if they lower its price.

Its license is based on the machines.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Deep Security to almost all of my customers. It is a very good product. I would rate Deep Security a nine out of 10.

Risk info security at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    Good for managing a few servers but it requires a lot of manual configuration after deployment
    • "Deep Security is a good product for managing a few servers."
    • "Post-implementation is time-consuming. You have to do monitoring, and that takes time. After you set up everything, it's not a full-fledged implementation. You have to keep on monitoring and configuring."

What is our primary use case?

Deep Security is a server protection product. We use it for virtual patching and file integration. You can use this with your cloud or an NX environment, virtual services, VMware, etc.

What is most valuable?

Deep Security is a good product for managing a few servers.

I've been using Deep Security for more than five years.

Performance is fine. You need to keep an eye on the new files getting detected, or so you have to keep on applying those file folders. So you have to keep monitoring, or else it is not going to help. So especially for the file integrity model and all.

I don't know about the scalability, but it's good for few servers where you can manage.

There is a local Trend Micro team in Mumbai that we call for support or to log a ticket.

Deployment and post-deployment implementation are a little complicated. We can't touch servers, and we can't modify the settings. It should be automated, and Trend Micro should make the process more intelligent. The scope is broad, and you have to manually monitor the file scans and respond whenever there is a detection.

The deployment itself is not that difficult because it's client based. So you want to install clients on each of those servers, and then you have to keep monitoring and adding features. You check the server's performance, and if everything is fine, you can keep adding servers. But post-implementation is time-consuming. You have to do monitoring, and that takes time. After you set up everything, it's not a full-fledged implementation. You have to keep on monitoring and configuring.

And there are times when the malware protection or some other virtual patching is working fine, but you need a technician to get all the more advanced features to work. It takes around two or three technicians to implement. Our team is responsible for security while a different team handles server management. Then there are one or two people who manage the security console. And then, there are OEM support and SI support.

We have a subscription. It's not a surface subscription. It's only the AMC part.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Trend Micro Deep Security six out of 10. I would recommend it. It depends on the other security controls you have in place. If you're using the entire Trend Micro suite, then you have a PT web gateway. So if you have the whole suite, you have tight integration with your APT and firewall story. In that case, Trend Micro Control Manager is there. So you have everything tied to a single console, so security and everything play as a complete story.

Security Engineer/Architect at Telecom Italia
    Versatile, works with any operating system, and integrates well with the cloud.
    • "It integrates well with the cloud; for example, AWS, and Google Cloud Provider."
    • "The problem with this solution is that if you go on large sites you have to have an external database, which would increase the cost."

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers for our customers. We are using Trend Micro Deep Security as an anti-malware and as an complete endpoint protection solution for server. The primary use case is data center security.

How has it helped my organization?

Our cloud hosting proposal has grown up with Trend Micro endpoint products fron officescan on to Deep Security. We propose it also on premise for our customers.  The antimalware engine is really effective.

What is most valuable?

This product has many features and it works with every operating system and any kind of endpoint. It's widespread.

Monitoring is good, and they also can protect DevOps/Docker enviroment.

It integrates well with the cloud; for example, AWS, and mow Google Cloud Platform.

What needs improvement?

One problem with this kind of  products is scaling. If you go on large sites you have to have an external database, which would increase the overall solution cost.

The solution offers many features aside from antimalware, lile Host FE and IDS/IPS, File integrity monitoring and so on, but if you use it to protect deliering agents on hosts you'd better verify the amount of host resources (ram)  utilized by DS agent itself.

We have been working with this solution for more than five years. We also delivered Deep Discovery suite products ad advanced ATP solution.

At one time we had some issues, but not anymore. It's quite a stable solution.

It's on of the best scalable antimalware solution as the amount of protected endpoints grows.

We have support here in Italy and we contact them directly. We have a good relationship with our local support.

Overall, we are quite satisfied with technical support.

The initial setup is complex.

The time for deployment depends on the size. You have different installations for different sizes.

we integrated it with vendor engineering assistance. The level of their assistance team is high,  they have skilled and expert people

It's more expensive than other endpoint protection solution. It's not the cheapest.

for our customers i also evaluated: Symantec, Kaspersky, Sophos. Bitdefender

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Trend Micro Deep Security.

If you need a versatile solution that covers many different needs or requirements, Trend Micro Deep Security is very good. It's a broad-spectrum product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: we use Deep Security in our own Datacenter as actual users but also as system integrators for our customers
    Nagendran Ponnan
    DGM-IT at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
    Makes the server run very smoothly and without any security flaws
    • "One of the most valuable features is that it's a firewall-based solution. We just open the required reports to the server—to server communication—and that's how we use Deep Security."
    • "Deep Security's reporting functionality could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Deep Security is running our server smoothly and without any security flaws. The server-level layers have more functionality when compared to desktop-level layers, so Deep Security captures and fulfills all of that functionality and runs smoothly. At the end of the day, Deep Security is also getting the zero-day vulnerabilities from our on-premise and other solutions.

This solution is deployed on-premise, and we are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Deep Security's reporting functionality could be improved.

We have been using Deep Security for more than three years.

Deep Security is stable.

This solution is scalable, but you need to procure licenses for each server.

We have around 50 users of Deep Security in our organization. Whether we will increase usage depends on our business requirements. If our business needs more servers, then we will procure more servers and more Deep Security licenses.

The technical support could be better. Whenever an issue is raised, we need to wait for a long time for technical support to resolve it. Our only issue is that the support could be faster.

Before implementing Deep Security, we used Trend Micro OfficeScan alone.

Deep Security is very easy to install. Installation didn't take much time, but after installing the center console, we needed to apply some kinds of policies, for which we needed some experience. It took some time to decide which policies we needed to apply and which rules we didn't want to apply, and for those things, we needed help from more experienced people—either Trend Micro support or their authorized partner's support. You can handle the installation on your own, with the help of some technical team. The implementation is not a very long-term process.

The pricing is okay. Deep Security is single-server license-based, so it will work based on how many licenses you have procured. There is a yearly subscription for each license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Deep Security an eight out of ten, and would definitely recommend it to others to use.

Founder at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
    Protects vulnerabilities; automated virtual patching is a very good feature
    • "Automated virtual patching is a good feature."
    • "Requires simplification, a fair amount of trouble shooting required."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for endpoint protection and email as well as web protection. We are stacking our servers once a month and vulnerabilities are checked every day. I'm a senior director in the company and we're a customer of Trend.

What is most valuable?

Automated virtual patching would be the most valuable feature. Deep Security has an option called recommendation scans. Once that feature is enabled, it scans the endpoints for these vulnerability questions and the tool can implement the rules to prevent the vulnerability found in this batch.

What needs improvement?

This is a very good tool but I don't find it to be a particularly user friendly solution, a lot of trouble shooting is required. I believe it needs simplification, without that they will run into continual problems. For now the solution requires spending a lot of time on module issues and anti-malware modules. We also have issues with scaling and this area could be improved. Adding one additional end point means you need to re-input all the other end points. If you have 1,000 users, that is not possible in real time. Each time we deploy new managers we need to connect with all endpoints and they need to be re-entered.

I've been using this solution for three years.

This solution is stable.

The scalability is very good and as we grow we are expanding our tool networks.

The setup is straightforward. We initially procured the tool for 50 people and we've now implemented it for 200. There are many new customers coming in so we're looking to scale it to 1000 plus endpoints.

What other advice do I have?

I am completely satisfied with this tool but we still plan to implement with the Symantec Endpoint Protection for the upgrade segment. We want to use a different tool for endpoint security because if there are any bugs in Trend Micro or any other tool we use then we're in trouble so we've decided not to have multiple tools from the same vendor.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Download our free Trend Micro Deep Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.