Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Trend Micro Apex One OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Trend Micro Apex One is #2 ranked solution in top Endpoint Compliance tools and #12 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give Trend Micro Apex One an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Trend Micro Apex One is most commonly compared to Trend Micro Deep Security: Trend Micro Apex One vs Trend Micro Deep Security. Trend Micro Apex One is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 56% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
Trend Micro Apex One Buyer's Guide

Download the Trend Micro Apex One Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Trend Micro Apex One?

Powered by the Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™, Trend Micro Apex One™ is a highly-regarded, popular, locally-managed anti-malware solution that keeps endpoints secure from a diverse assortment of internet threats. Trend Micro Apex One™ is an integrated solution consisting of the Security Agent that resides at the endpoint and the Apex One server that manages all Security Agents.

The Security Agents respond directly to the server to which they were installed. They report event data such as threat detection, Security Agent activity (startup and shutdown), when a scan begins, when a scan ends, and update progress to the server in real time.

An organization’s designated IT administrators can control Security Agent settings from the server and are empowered to grant users the privilege to configure specific settings.

Trend Micro Apex One™ uses a host-based prevention system (HIPS). HIPS will create a virtual patch for unknown and known threats prior to the time when the appropriate patch is available or deployable. This will expand protection to important platforms and virtual or physical devices while minimizing the time needed for an emergency patch event and preventing downtime. UsingTrend Micro Apex One™, users receive next-gen XDR robust features to improve detection, response, and investigation proficiencies. Users are able to expand features over numerous security layers for improved comprehensive visibility and faster response to threats impacting their entire enterprise.

“Automated, Insightful, All-in-one Protection”

Automation: The Trend Micro Apex One™ solution provides the latest advanced automated threat awareness and precise defense against the continual barrage of the latest threats, including fileless and ransomware. The multi-generational amalgamation of up-to-date processes ensures thorough and precise endpoint protection that optimizes production, productivity, and profitability.

Insightful: With Trend Micro Apex One™, users get useful, intuitive insights, increased investigative competencies, and improved visibility by utilizing an open API set, a next-gen EDR toolset, and powerful, robust SIEM integration. Users can choose to execute intensive threat analyses that go past the endpoints and provide additional support to the organization's security teams with a guided detection and remediation service.

All-in-one: In today’s aggressive, dynamic marketplace, organizations require threat protection that goes beyond basic antivirus. Trend Micro Apex One™ provides robust threat detection, immediate response, and thorough follow-up all within a single solution. Users can now do without numerous solutions and unnecessary devices and attain elasticity of deployment using both SaaS and on-premises deployment options.

Reviews from Real Users

Pawel B., Head of IT Department at a maritime company, tells us that "Trend Micro Apex One is good at detecting zero-day threats. When the solution was in operation I did not notice any system performance problems. Upgrades of the solution were simple to do and there are plenty of features."

An IT Administrator at a manufacturing company says, "One of the better features, in my opinion, is that it also makes use of a web reputation. For example, if someone accidentally clicks on a link in an email that leads to a malicious website, they will block it."

A Network Specialist at a computer software company concludes that Trend Micro Apex One is “Quick to install and stable threat protection software.”

Trend Micro Apex One was previously known as OfficeScan, Trend Micro OfficeScan.

Trend Micro Apex One Customers

Atma Jaya Catholic University of Indonesia, A&W Food Services of Canada, Babou, Beth Israel Deaconess Care Organization (BO), DCI Donor Services, Evalueserve, Gulftainer, Hiroshima Prefectural Government, MEDHOST

Trend Micro Apex One Video

Archived Trend Micro Apex One Reviews (more than two years old)

Sikendra Jena - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead Specialist at Hitachi Systems, Ltd.
Stable and easy to set up with good flexibility
  • "The solution is very simple to use and easy to deploy."
  • "The integration capabilities of the solution could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution a SaaS-based service to streamline the setup, as it only requires one agent and not multiple licenses.

What is most valuable?

We're an integrator. We have a business relationship with the company.

Apex One is a single agent that covers most needs and has a SaaS-based model, so we do not need any in-house set up to host this application. There will be no additional charges for those types of needs in that area.

Product-wise it is perfectly fine. If you compare similar kinds of services from other competitors, you'll find you need to go for multiple licenses and multiple agents with other products. However, with Apex One, it gives one single solution, with just one agent and most of your problems are resolved. It's like a silver bullet.

The solution offers very good machine learning.

The solution is very simple to use and easy to deploy.

The solution is very flexible and works on multiple platforms as well as on servers.

What needs improvement?

The integration capabilities of the solution could be improved.

In a DLT context, the solution needs more features. The DLT needs to be more fully fleshed out. Trend Micro claims that they are security provider, not the compliance provider, and the DLT is a completely compliance-based solution.

We're an integrator and have been using the solution for a while now.

Trend Micro Apex One
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Apex One. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze on us.

In terms of scalability, it depends on what you mean. Add-on licenses are easy to implement. You can add them at any point in time and if it supports your endpoint machine, it supports other machines as well. It supports your ATM machines and it works on various platforms, including Mac and iOS. You can install it on servers as well. There's quite a lot of flexibility within the product.

Trend Micros has a pretty large customer base. I'm not sure how many people are on the solution currently. I know that a decent number of organizations are using it.

We assist our clients in technical support as needed.

The product's technical support is also fine, as they have a completely channel-based model. In that context, you can buy from your solution provider or reseller. They, like us, will have tech support available. In our case, we have our own engineers who are trained on Trend Micro products. They are good and they're free to use for our clients.

The solution's initial implementation is not difficult or complex. It's easy to deploy and quite straightforward.

We're a system integrator. We implement the solution for our clients.

It is a completely SaaS-based model.

Licensing costs depend completely on the number of users or licenses. They have a specific pricing structure. For example, if you are looking for 100 users to be on the product, in the Indian market (we're based in India), the cost is nearly $2,500 to $3,000 maximum for one three-year license. We'll usually get a three-year subscription.

What other advice do I have?

We're quite familiar and regularly work with Trend Micro products.

The solution is endpoint protection bundled with a couple of more features, with basically a lot of DLT application filtering, et cetera.

We are a system integrator. We offer tech support and help our customers. We sell Trend Micro licenses to companies.

I'd recommend the solution. It's very nice. We've supplied it to many clients with very good results. We haven't received any complaints at all and our agents are satisfied with the solution.

Overall, I'd rank it nine out of ten.

Technology and Information Systems Manager at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
No down time for updates because of the cloud; work stations can be updated externally
  • "No down time in terms of the backend having to be updated because it's on cloud."
  • "Some of the updates still require a complete reboot of the system."

What is our primary use case?

We have been a Trend client for some time and we looked at this product as the next evolution. We had servers on-prem to manage our Trend install and we went with the Apex One real-time monitoring solution. Being cloud-based meant we didn't have to worry about upgrading the backend servers. We could also be sure that the regular disk came down to the components and that they will update properly on each one of our devices. We are customers of Trend and I'm the manager of our company.

What is most valuable?

The nice thing about this product is that there is no down time in terms of the backend having to be updated because of the cloud, so it's basically real time and the work stations can be updated externally as well. It doesn't require people being connected to the net, like our nomadic users. The client goes out and pulls the necessary updates directly from the cloud.

What needs improvement?

From the client perspective, there are situations where some of the updates still require a complete reboot of the system and the problem there is from an end user perspective. We have to make sure, particularly with people who work remotely, that they actually are rebooting their machines and not just putting them to sleep. If the updates didn't require rebooting that would make a big difference.

I'd like to see a single back pane between the end points as well as on the service side of things. I know they're working on that at the present time and it will be great when it's done.

We've been using this solution for some time.

The stability is good and there's a better capture rate in terms of reporting as well, because now you get to see all your machines in and out of your network.

It's a very scalable solultion, more so now that it's not dependent on my back end.

We use the support and find them quite good. I have someone who deals with the tickets that arise out of Apex One. We have set up a system where anytime there's an issue, virus or whatever, the back end will let us know what was done on a particular machine and it can be validated once the process is complete. We get notifications into our ticketing system if any work has been done. The support for implementation is also good, and they're very responsive. If you have an issue with any kind of malware, they help with that too.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Trend Micro Apex One
September 2022
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user1193670 - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The management is really good, you can see everything on the dashboard
  • "The management console is pretty good. We have a dashboard that shows us what stuff to log, different malicious links that people are trying to access and also if somebody was trying to connect something to the computer, to a USB port or something like that, and if this person is on the under control management. It shows that he tried and he got blocked."
  • "We're not sure if we're going to continue with those products or their products or we're going to switch to something else. That's why we stopped the immigration process. If we were going to replace another product, it's not really efficient to waste time on it moving patients and other clients."

What is most valuable?

The management console is pretty good. We have a dashboard that shows us what stuff to log, different malicious links that people are trying to access and also if somebody was trying to connect something to the computer, to a USB port or something like that, and if this person is on the under control management. It shows that he tried and he got blocked. Also, the virus and malware attempts that were trying to attack the computer storage and stuff like that so the console is pretty intuitive, it's pretty user friendly.

Managing the clients themselves, if, for example, I want to have different sites and laws. It's pretty easy to manage the clients and also to move them to different containers. The migration process itself is really easy from office scanning G to Apex One. It's just a few clicks to migrate the clients so the management is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

It works okay. The management console itself looks pretty much like the regular Office Mechanics.

We are looking into different solutions, like SentinelOne and Sophos. We might continue with Apex One, it also depends on budget and pricing.

We enabled it a few months ago, but we only moved five to six clients from the office scan from the regular and point protection to Apex One. So far, it has actually resolved as one of the bugs that we had because the regular office scan, a client agent was causing some Windows problems. A lot of Windows systems were crashing, having blue screens. We didn't know what the message share or message said. We tried to analyze it and stuff like that. Eventually, we found out that it was actually because of the OfficeScan agent, the regular agent, and after moving them to Apex One, the blue screens had stopped. This was a good improvement.

It's stable.

We're actually a very small team, currently, we're down to three. IT and infrastructure people deal with all of the network issues and all of the management of the systems for our IT systems and products. One guy does help desk and another person and I were managing the systems. It's actually down to two people to manage all of the other stuff like that.

We use it on a daily basis, Monitoring is part of our daily monitoring and schedule. We're going from our different systems, more critical stuff in the morning, for a few hours and then we get to our later tasks and stuff like that.

We offer support to the vendor directly. They were at our site two times already during the negotiation with the management.

Based on the latest experience with technical support which was moving from migrating from the IMSDA to the DDI, it was actually pretty good. There was one support guy that worked with over the phone and everything is remote of course and after about two or three hours, all of it was running in production with the new system.

We previously used Symantec. I was mainly dealing with the end point, installing, and uninstalling it and solving different issues that were involved or problems that were involved due to the Symantec endpoint client, but besides that, I wasn't managing the system.

The main difference between the two is the heaviness that was edited with Symantec on the endpoint client itself and into the client. The agent is pretty heavy on the resources sometimes, the memory specialists and we feel that with Trend, the product is more light on the station, and doesn't consume a lot of resources. That's I think the main issue.

The initial setup was straightforward. We did the migration ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

As a current user of Trend Micro, I would recommend it, it does the job. It works fine and usually stops different virus attempts. The management is really good, you can see everything on the dashboard. If someone downloads some kind of infected file or some malicious file, we can see it and it usually gets blocked automatically.

I would rate Apex One an eight out of ten.

In the next release, I would like to have the ability that if something happens, then we have a record of what exactly has occurred on the station, how it started and how it evolved and eventually, in case something bad happened, something malicious gets through and it wasn't recognized in the signatures and the station got infected so that we can later come and analyze and investigate it and see what exactly happened and learn from it actually for the next time.

John Edwards - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager Cyber Security at Dept. of the Premier and Cabinet
Good as a general anti-virus but needs more depth and sophistication
  • "The general anti-virus on offer is the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "We're actually looking to upgrade to more sophisticated ADL products. We need a more sophisticated endpoint. We need to have the ability to automate those instant response processes."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our endpoints. We do occasionally use it for some servers as well.

What is most valuable?

The general anti-virus on offer is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

We're actually looking to upgrade to more sophisticated ADL products. We need a more sophisticated endpoint. We need to have the ability to automate those instant response processes.

I've been using the solution for about a decade. It's been about ten years at least.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. We find it to be very reliable at all times.

We have between one and 2,000 users on the solution at any given time.

We haven't needed to scale up in the past few years, so I can't speak to its ability to do so.

We have a separate team in-house that handles tickets, therefore, I've never been directly in touch with technical support myself. I can't speak to the level of service they provide.

Since I have been working at the organization, the company has always used Trend Micro. I don't know if they used anything else prior to that. That said, we use a number of other services as security in depth. We have other gateways and firewalls and a bunch of other items that we use.

I wasn't part of the team that implemented the solution. I wouldn't be able to say if it was complex or straightforward.

It's pretty low-maintenance. We do continuous updates and we also update the backend security appliance that goes with it, which probably happens three or four times a year.

The costs of the service fluctuate for us; I can't really say how much it costs our organization in general. I do know that it's not expensive. cost-wise, it's on the lower end of the spectrum. The licensing we have is all-inclusive; there aren't any extra costs involved. If we decide to stay with Trend Micro and upgrade to a better service, we'll be paying a higher price.

We're currently looking for another solution that may be a bit more sophisticated than Trend Micro, so we are currently evaluating other options. We're down to two or three other vendors. Those we've looked at include an upgraded Trend product, Microsoft Defender ATP, XDR, Crowdstrike and MacAfee.

Some of the other products give the capability of virtual sandboxing, endpoint threat detection, automated response, that kind of service.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Trend Micro. We're using the latest version of the solution.

OfficeScan offers basic anti-virus security, but if you're looking for more advanced security features, you really need to look at more sophisticated and modern services.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

Manager of Information Technology at a engineering company with 201-500 employees
Antivirus and Malware scanning with reporting that allows you to report back with information
  • "The most valuable features are reporting and where we have the ability to report back and provide information when an item is quarantined or not quarantined."
  • "The CPU usage when scanning is too high and we have run into bottlenecks were it consumes a lot of CPU time."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for antivirus, and antimalware scans.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are reporting and where we have the ability to report back and provide information when an item is quarantined or not quarantined.

What needs improvement?

The CPU usage when scanning stays too high and we have run into bottlenecks where Apex One consumes a lot of CPU cycles.

The on-premises set up is daunting.

It's been five years of this where they (Microsoft) have two updates a year, sometimes three. By now Trend Micro should have come up with a solution where they don't have us block the updates and wait for them to be fixed.

There are times where Trend applies an update and that update doesn't fully apply. We then have to go in and run a manual VBS file that they have provided to us to do a proper uninstall of the application which is painful to do as we have a huge distributed workforce and many remote users. It isn't always easy to chase down remote users.

We have been using the Trend Micro product line for at least five years. The Apex One is their newest incarnation, which we have been using for the last year.

It seems to be an evolution of their current platform.

I would rate the stability of this solution a seven or seven and a half out of ten. We had several issues where it had crippled user's machines and we had to uninstall and reinstall the application to get it working. We have had to hold Windows updates. I think that it is the fault of the Microsoft deployment strategy. When they release a new feature update you can not deploy it right away. For example, when they go from 1903 to 1909, you have to wait for Trend to apply fixes to the application, otherwise, it won't work.

It seems to scale quite well. We have no issues from that perspective. We are able to onboard all of our users fairly quickly and them online. That was positive.

We have approximately 400 users in our organization.

We have had some challenges where sometimes it takes a while to get a solution.

We have always been using Trend Micro. We followed them through their evolution from OfficeScan to Office XG to Apex One.

I think with the evolution of Windows 10, and how Microsoft does deployment, it has made using this application a lot more challenging. With the manageability and when Microsoft does an update, we sometimes struggle with the updates because of how they happen.

The result being that Trend will block or pause an update on the Microsoft side and Trend will release the update. We deploy that update but the machine won't get those fixes and doesn't allow the update to happen, so we have to manually troubleshoot the machines, uninstall the app, and do several things to push the Windows update. We have always been playing a game of whack-a-mole with it. This can be extremely frustrating when you have a small IT team.

Initially, we tried to set up on-premises and there were huge pain points. Trend offered us their cloud solution.

We tried the cloud solution and it seemed to work much better.

The on-premises was daunting to set up, as there were a lot of issues and several challenges. We ended with their hosted solution, which addressed many of our pain points.

We had the cloud solution up and running within a day or so. The cloud solution is far quicker because you don't have to do all of the heavy lifting of installing it on-premises and all of those other features.

We have an IT team with five of us to maintain this solution, but it's generally done by two individuals.

What other advice do I have?

It seems like there is a disconnect between the Trend Micro Team and Microsoft. Microsoft is constantly pushing updates and builds, and there is a delay from the Trend side when updates are released.

As of now when we start reading that Microsoft's finalizing a build we start scrambling and reading Trend Micro blogs trying to figure out if it supports it.

Every solution has its problems, but It is a solid product. The question becomes one of whether there is value in it for the dollar. Does it do what it needs you to do? Has it been working and providing defense? The answer is yes on those fronts.

They have tried very hard to develop a cohesive product that supports us, that offers the ability to scan for viruses and scan for malware. It doesn't hit everything, but the more that I look at different solutions, no solution is a panacea and a magic bullet, and anyone who tells you there is, is not being truthful.

The question becomes, is the manual work outweighing the value that the solution adds? For us, we can handle the updates but when we started to really have a lot of issues where users, especially now in COVID times, working remotely have their machines crippled by the scans  and taking a long time, chewing up a lot of CPU,  users become frustrated with the solution.  We spent the last two months chasing ghosts and trying to troubleshoot. It was frustrating.

As the leader of our IT organization, I need to ensure the stability and usability of all systems for all users.

I still think that the product has value, but I've just experienced a lot of pain points to realize that it's becoming cyclical for us, and the pain points are becoming too much.

We are in POCs with other products but we may find that they are just as bad and may stick with Trend.

Hybrid Cloud
it_user1237101 - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at Connex Information Technologies
Easy to set up, good technical support, and the protection is always up to date
  • "The most valuable features are the vulnerability protection and virtual patching."
  • "The reports are not eye-catching from the customer's point of view, which is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Trend Micro Apex One is one of the products that we implement for our customers. It is used for endpoint security.

What is most valuable?

This solution scans for vulnerabilities that can originate from anywhere around the world.

This is a product that is always up to date.

Integration with third-party products is supported.

What needs improvement?

The reports are not eye-catching from the customer's point of view, which is something that should be improved.

We have been working with Apex One for three years.

We have had no complaints from our customers about stability.

Our customers are satisfied with the scalability of Apex One.

The support provided by Trend Micro is very good. We have had no issues with them.

We have worked with Carbon Black and their solutions do not compare with Trend Micro.

The initial setup is straightforward. The length of time required for deployment depends on the customer's environment and what other products they have. The average time to deploy Apex One is about two and a half months, which includes integration, client setup, and other things.

Our clients generally do not have to do any maintenance because everything is updated through the Trend Micro Smart Protection Server.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a product that I recommend. That said, there is no product on the market that is 100%.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Ian Keller - PeerSpot reviewer
CSO at SBV
From a technology point of view, it is very simple to install and it's not heavy on the endpoints in terms of the amount of processing cycles
  • "From a technology point of view, it is very simple to install, it's not heavy on the endpoint in terms of the amount of processing cycles. It is simple to deploy and the interfaces are easy. You don't need to be a scientist to operate it."
  • "I think the one place where we like where they lacking is in a unified style dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

Our business is what you would call national key infrastructure so if anything happens to our business we will have a major economic impact for Africa. From that point of view, we cannot afford for anything to go wrong with our endpoints networks. Our primary use case is to have a best of breed endpoint response rate.

What is most valuable?

From a technology point of view, it is very simple to install, it's not heavy on the endpoint in terms of the amount of processing cycles. It is simple to deploy and the interfaces are easy. You don't need to be a scientist to operate it.

Then the other things that are really just as important as the technology like the people behind it. When you look at it from a support perspective, the Trend Micro people are exceptionally passionate about their business and their products. That translates into phenomenal service that you get, which I haven't experienced with any of the other vendors at this point in time.

What needs improvement?

I think the one place where we like where they lacking is in a unified style dashboard. We've got multiple reporting in all the various components, but they need something to tie all of it together. There's deep discovery, deep security, and we've got a lot of different layers, and then we need something to tie all of this back together from an MIS point of view. I think that's the one place Trend Micro can spend a little bit more time on. But operationally, it's phenomenal.

I have been using this solution for five years.

The scalability of the solution is phenomenal. We started looking at things like Apex One in the cloud and it's amazing when we're looking at it from a commercial perspective, it makes a lot of sense and because you don't have to rely on maximum infrastructure in terms of your service and distribution boxes and all these other things that you traditionally would have. From that point of view as it's chalk and cheese against the competitors. Also, the organization's willingness to partner with you- it's not just somebody coming to do a sale, it's like a family and they actually mean it.

They provide me a SOC service on the backend. We partnered locally with Trend SA and that's one of the major reasons why the product is phenomenal is because of the technical support.

I can pick up the phone and I can phone the global CEO of the organization. That's the level of commitment that Trend Micro put into their products versus Symantec, Kaspersky or McAfee.

When you started doing some of the advanced things, it becomes a bit more complex when you start running the mobile device management and we're doing Apple enrollment because Apple is so difficult for the enrollment features. So when you're doing stuff like that and you're running it across the internet, that's got a fair bit of configuration that you need to know. Partnering becomes equally as important as the tool. With the right partners.

The price point is exceptionally competitive. And I find that in most cases it's actually better than the competition. When you start looking at everything that you're getting and you're lumping all of the stuff together, it is exceptionally competitive. It is not a cheap solution so if you want cheap, then you go with another solution. But from a corporate perspective, I think they are exceptionally reasonably priced. So much so that I think the displacing of the technology is going to be detrimental to any business because you're going to end up buying a much more inferior product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Trend Micro a ten out of ten.

The only thing that I would be presumptuous enough to tell Trend Micro they need to improve is that they need to have a bold interface for a C level executive so that they can look at a screen and see the holistic picture of what the state is giving them.

Harun Rashid - PeerSpot reviewer
Presales & Implementation Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Excellent and efficient end point security for enterprise companies
  • "I think this is the best solution in the category of endpoint protection, it's really excellent. It's better than McAfee."
  • "Could channel video more efficiently."

What is our primary use case?

I've installed this product for clients numerous times. Each situation is different but usually it's for companies with a minimum of 50 users. One client had 200 users of Apex One, another 500 and I also had a larger client with 1,500 users. It's an enterprise license. I'm a pre-sales and implementation engineer and our company is the Apex One local partner in India.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think there could be improvement in a couple of areas, particularly with technical support and making the solution more user friendly. They could channel their video more efficiently and develop a root functionality solution control across all functions.

I've been working with this solution for two years.

It's a stable solution, no problems.

This solution is very scalable, it's great.

In general the technical support is very good, although lately I've been less satisfied with the local support here in India.

Initial setup is straightforward, it takes a day. Deployment requires between two and five people depending on the size of the company.

What other advice do I have?

I think Apex One is a very good product for end-users. Some of the features you get here are also available in Symantec which is a better package, but Apex One is a better end solution. Symantec and McAfee both have good solutions but Apex One and Symantec are the best for end point security. For singular implementation, Apex One management is great for application control and deactivation.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

PS & Technical Manager at a integrator with 11-50 employees
Incorporates many engines like encryption, GLB, and antivirus and has good stability
  • "It's a good solution, and they have something called Suite incorporating many, many engines like encryption, GLB, anti-virus."
  • "We cover many things, but there is something called ATP, advanced threat prevention. I think they need to invest in this technology."

What is our primary use case?

We deal with the on-premises deployment model of this solution.

What is most valuable?

Trend Micro covers many things. The solution right now is called EDR. It's a good solution and they have something called Suite that incorporates many engines like encryption, GLB, and antivirus.

What needs improvement?

I think if they invest in better training and training partners, it could be even better but they have good coverage here in the Middle East now, especially in Egypt. I cannot recommend something right now.

Trend Micro covers many things but there is something called ATP, advanced threat prevention and it would improve the solution if they invested in this technology.

We've been using this solution for about one year.

Stability is good, especially for enterprise companies. Small companies are also okay. The stability is not a problem.

The scalability is okay. Our current tools are licensed with the software solution we provide. So this provides them with tools over the virtual machines they have. They can add many licenses and we can extend to a larger size.

We tried to implement ourselves. Their technical support is okay.

I work with Trend Micro as a salesman, not a technician. However, what I understood from others is that the setup is okay. It's not complex.

I have a team to deploy this solution to customers. It takes about three engineers to deploy. Three engineers can handle implementation and maintenance at the same time.

It's well priced at a yearly rate. The price itself depends on whether the solution is a full suite, half suite, or some other engine. It's different according to the consumer's requests.

What other advice do I have?

As a salesman, I encourage the customer to buy the full suite for the engines.

The biggest lesson I learned is about the EPR solution. Some people say it's easier to use this type of product. This is the next generation of antivirus technology.

I would rate this solution as seven and a half out of ten. We work with a lot of solutions, like Carbon Black, McAfee, Symantec, etc. There are features and benefits to each of these.

it_user1033257 - PeerSpot reviewer
Operations Manager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
A stable and lightweight solution that helps to protect our clients proactively
  • "This solution protects us from virus attacks before they affect the organization."
  • "The alert, or warning function, needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is protecting clients. We have an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the threat protection functionality.

What needs improvement?

The alert, or warning function, needs to be improved. Two days ago I received an email from the system regarding an incident that was detected with a client who received a great deal of spam, in excess of forty-five thousand emails.

I have been using this solution for three years.

I think that the stability of this solution is very high. It is always running and it doesn't abuse system resources.

This solution is extremely scalable.

I have not contacted technical support for this solution.

At my previous job, I used Norton (Symantec). When I changed companies I started using this solution, by Trend Micro.

The initial setup of this solution is extremely simple. It is deployed from our SCCM solution, so it happens automatically.

I think that this product is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend, as it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that it's difficult to always be one step ahead of the guys that are introducing malware, but I think that Trend Micro is doing a good job. They are always updating their product.

Overall, I am very happy with this solution, and it does what is advertised.

Assistant Manager at Virus Rescuers Services
A solution with a good selection of features, but product performance needs improvement
  • "The product offers almost all of the features the client expects from such a solution."
  • "Product performance needs improvement. Customers face the same performance issues on the endpoint of the product. We need improvement on that side."

What is most valuable?

The product offers almost all of the features the client expects from such a solution. What they have in the product should work fine without it affecting the system performance.

What needs improvement?

Product performance needs improvement. Customers face the same performance issues on the endpoint of the product. We need improvement on that side.

Trend Micro needs to include the OfficeScan application control and protection all in one agent. That application control is not properly working, it is affecting the system performance. When we enable that particular functionality, it doesn't load on the machine. We need improvement on that side of it.

I've been working with the solution for four years.

I haven't received any feedback in regards to technical support.

I have previously worked with Symantec. Since we are a reseller we work with all three of these products.

Licensing costs happen on a yearly basis. The costing is average. They're not the most expensive solution, but they aren't cheap either. There aren't any other costs beyond the yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller so we recommend the product to our clients.

We work with the public cloud deployment model with Trend Micro as the provider of the cloud.

I would rate the solution 7.5 out of ten.

DSI at a museum or institution with 201-500 employees
Offers good endpoint protection but their technical support is lacking
    • "Technical support is very very slow. There is no French support. Only English. The experts are in England, the United States, or Japan, I don't know where. So the support is really lacking."

What is most valuable?

I think the classic product, which is the endpoint protection, and the antivirus and security suite for the endpoint are all good.

What needs improvement?

They have gateway protection for emails, but they're not good enough. They really have to improve it. They really have to improve it because it produces many false positives with spam.

The pricing can always be improved upon. Newly added features should be free.

I've been using the solution for almost three years.

I find the solution is stable.

I don't have much experience on the scalability but processes and functionality but we have made some tests and some proof of concept to the data link prevention and it works good and it was easy to configure. But it did not expand to other functionalities, like mobile endpoint etc. We don't have such usage here. We're a small company. We have 230 users.

Technical support is very slow. There is no French support. Only English. The experts are in England, the United States, or Japan, I don't know where. So the support is really lacking. We'll have to fight against the false positives, that's a little bit hard.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's easy.

We had integrators the first time but we continued on our own.

What other advice do I have?

I think the solution is a classic, really basic software. It's good enough. The footprint on the computer is not very heavy, it's not heavy at all and I think it has a good signature database. From holistic function, it gives a good enough performance.

I think they have additional features but not for the new products with new licenses and all the new protections like the EDL or remediation. I think they added new features, but you have to pay, they did not just scale the basic product but I think it's about marketing and income.

I would recommend this product for endpoint protection. Not for the hosted email security and other services on the emails.

I would rate this solution at seven our of 10.

Head of IT at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    Offers firewall protection for our web servers in production and is easy to use
    • "I would emphasize the ease of use and the quality of operations. Trend Micro is quite stable."
    • "We had a few occasions where we had to turn off our clients' computers to upgrade the drivers."

What is our primary use case?

We use Trend Micro OfficeScan for endpoint and server security and protection in a small enterprise organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Other major components can be integrated with the OfficeScan solution and managed through a centralized console. We haven't started using all of them yet. We are going to use the DLP data leakage prevention component, soon. It can be added as a plug-in. It's just a separate license.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is most valuable with Trend Micro OfficeScan. I value the security provided. We haven't had any specific incidents while using it. It's doing its primary job quite well. It is also well integrated with other Trend Micro Solutions that we use, via Trend Micro Control Manager.

I would emphasize the ease of use and the quality of operations.

What needs improvement?

We had a few compatibility issues while updating certain drivers. We had a few occasions where we had to temporarily turn off the solution on our clients' computers to upgrade the drivers.

It's not completely the fault of the antivirus provider. The problem is with the Microsoft Windows system and the drivers themselves. It's a shared responsibility.

Trend Micro needs some kind of included warning when OfficeScan senses that somebody is updating some drivers that have known issues. I have the same problem occur also with other products, so it's not specific to Trend Micro OfficeScan. It's a typical problem.

In this company, we've been using Trend Micro OfficeScan for 15 years.

Trend Micro is quite stable. We didn't have too many problems. There were, in the past, a few occasions where we had some problems. That was mostly related to new Microsoft Windows versions.

Lately, it's been quite stable and we are satisfied with it.

For the scalability, we are quite small. We are not a large company. We have around 60 licenses that cover both endpoints and servers (essentially, the same client is used everywhere, just the policies are different). For that number of licenses, scalability is not a problem.

Their technical support is good. We didn't have many requests. I had one request recently, and it was very fast. They provided us an adequate solution.

Trend Micro OfficeScan was used from the beginning to replace some solutions. It has been used for the last 15 years. We are mostly a Trend Micro shop.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. There are a lot of options after you set up the solution. After the initial setup, it's quite easy to do. It's not complex.

We acquired it through a reseller. They are also a systems integrator. They provide other solutions and support for us. We took the Trend Micro solutions from them.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the platform a nine.

Raul Angeles - PeerSpot reviewer
    CISO at Estafeta Mexicana
    Ease of deployment and focus on AI are key features for us
    • "The ease of deployment is one of its most valuable features."
    • "There is room for improvement in next-gen attacks protection."

What is our primary use case?

It's an antivirus solution for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It keeps us running very smoothly because there are no outages due to viruses. I think we have a very good security posture, and this product has helped us to get there.

We have also seen an increase in staff productivity because we manage the entire solution with just one person. Five years ago we needed a team of at least ten people.

What is most valuable?

The ease of deployment is one of its most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a data-loss prevention module. We need that in our organization.

There is also room for improvement in next-gen attacks protection.

The stability is very good. We have a centralized way in which we can see that the product is running.

We have about 3,000 endpoints, and we haven't had any problems with scalability.

We work with a partner. We have been working with them for about five years and it's very good. We haven't had any problems.

We went with this solution because they have a really huge investment in artificial intelligence; not only in attack signatures but also behaviors.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was only a matter of sending it to the console and it took care of the job for us.

We deployed it ourselves.

On a yearly basis, it's about $50,000. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

We are currently evaluating next-gen antivirus because of the new attacks that are happening. The shortlist is Silence, Carbon Black, and CrowdStrike.

What other advice do I have?

Focus on the productivity gains that you will have. We don't have a lot of security experts in the company. We are a very small team, so we need to be very productive with the products that we have.

I would rate this product at nine out of ten. It has a lot of the capabilities that we need.

Chief Information Security Officer at Rambam Health Care
    Simple and cheap protection. I'd like to see AI features added.

What is our primary use case?

Main anti-virus, approximately 4000 endpoints.

How has it helped my organization?

No damage to the endpoints for more than two years.

What is most valuable?

Simple and cheap protection.

What needs improvement?

Include AI.

it_user933648 - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager with 1-10 employees
    The scalability is perfect. It did not combat a recent malware breach.

What is most valuable?

There is nothing valuable about this product.

What needs improvement?

Recently, we had a malware attack and considered looking at other cloud solutions because of this breach.

The scalability is perfect. It has an LDAP view.

The tech support is OK.

We looked at Symantec.

it_user859173 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Consultant- Information Security at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Reseller
    Provides antivirus precautionary care and antivirus solutions
    • "The DDAN and the sand boxing features are very good and accurate."
    • "I am expecting an Apple featured IDLP solution with OfficeScan, where we have only IDLP. Also, the ADR functionality in our Office Scan solution would be a nice addition. Genrally, the ADR solutions are the only failed ends of the solutions we have found with Trend Micro."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution daily. It provides us with 99% of antivirus precautionary care and prevention of email threats.

How has it helped my organization?

We use several Trend Micro solutions. We use Trend Micro OfficeScan, DDM and DDI. We are also using IMSVA and WSVA for email security and web security. After deploying OfficeScan, we have found more detections of possible virus attacks.

What is most valuable?

The DDAN and the sandboxing features are very good and accurate.

What needs improvement?

I am expecting an Apple featured IDLP solution with OfficeScan, where we have only IDLP. Also, the ADR functionality in our OfficeScan solution would be a nice addition. Genrally, the ADR solutions are the only failed ends of the solutions we have found with Trend Micro.

Three to five years.

Tech support needs improvement. We raised certain cases regarding a lag in terms of a solution, and the response time was slow.

We previously used McAfee and Symantec.

It was initially straightforward. It took multiple phases.

Pricing and licensing are competitive with other solutions on the market.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a reseller.
    Cyber Security Lead at Delaware North
    We use it for endpoint protection but it needs a consolidated manager
    • "Stability is okay."
    • "​It needs a consolidated manager as there are too many parts to currently manage it.​"

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is endpoint protection. It has been performing okay.

What needs improvement?

It needs a consolidated manager as there are too many parts to currently manage it. The ability to manage the solution needs improvement because it just does not seem like it is quite everything we need it to be.

Stability is okay.

I have not used the technical support.

I previously used Sophos, which is a much better product with centralized management (in my opinion).

I was not involved in the initial setup.

We evaluated McAfee and Sophos.

• McAfee: They have a SIM that we already had in place.
    • Sophos: It definitely had the ability to be flexible and integrate with the rest of our equipment.

What other advice do I have?

Do not believe the marketing hype. Talk with implementers of the product. Replace the solution with Sophos.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: functionality, price, and skill.

it_user4431 - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Overall, it's a good enterprise anti-virus solution and I already recommended Officescan to my colleagues

Valuable Features:

Below are the reasons why our company chose Officescan: - The server part is easy to install, just follow the wizard and you are done. - You can monitor all of your machines using a user-friendly web console. - It also displays computers that do not have any anti-virus installed. - You can install officescan on any windows and mac OS. - For mass installation, you can use a login script, group policy and the web console. - You can even create a standalone executable for remote computers. - If the client fails to get the update from the local server, clients automatically gets the update from the Trend cloud server.

Room for Improvement:

- I don't like the firewall feature, it adds itself to the NIC card of the machine and when you try to remove it, the client loses internet capability. You will need to uninstall the program to get the internet working again. - It does not work for Linux OS

Other Advice:

We tested it out first using our test environment and it worked great during installation, client update, monitoring and removal process. The best part is that it protects windows servers, windows workstations and Mac OSx.
    Download our free Trend Micro Apex One Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022