We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Senior Manager Information Security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy initial setup with good technical support and great security
  • "Technical support is quite knowledgeable and helpful."
  • "The solution could use signatureless detection."

What is our primary use case?

Trend Micro Apex One is a nine-point security solution from Trend Micro. We primarily use the solution for all of the scanning of our endpoint devices.

What is most valuable?

Trend Micro ensures the number of signatures is updated on time. If you have updated versions of signatures, they are built into the database quickly without wasting time.

If you don't update your database in real-time, the problem is there can be zero-day exploits. Hackers or malicious attacks might get through. Trend Micro in that sense is a very good product as it allows us to have access to the database all the time. The security is excellent. That is the most valuable aspect.

Technical support is quite knowledgeable and helpful.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use signatureless detection.

The EDR capabilities should be built into the solution. In my opinion, the native endpoint product should have the capability of EDR also. The product should be capable of actually building some behavior-based analytics so that it can actually detect signature lists.

I've been using the solution for about three months. However, I had been using a previous version of the solution, known as Office Scan, for the last two or three years or so.

The solution is scalable.

We currently have 2,000 users on the solution.

We intend to increase usage in the future.

We've reached out to technical support in the past and we've always gotten the help we needed. We're satisfied with the level of support we receive.

We didn't previously use a different solution. We've always used Trend Micro.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward.

The deployment doesn't take much time, however, it depends on the size of the organization. It's very slow to deploy the product to multiple clients. If your organization has a 10,000 user base, sit will take longer than if you have a 2,000 user base. It just varies according to the number of machines to which it will actually be deployed.

We have about 2,000 users and we have a team of three or four people that handle maintenance.

I am the security manager on the end solution security team in the organization. The deployment was actually done by the IT team within my team. We didn't need the assistance of consultants or integrators.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at a nine. It's been very good. We've been happy with the results so far.

Credits Incharge at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Can be used to easily update policies on the cloud
  • "I'm using the cloud solution, which I really like. I like being able to update policies on the cloud so that when users who are working from home connect to the internet, their laptops will be updated automatically. I also like that this solution is easy to use and is stable and scalable"
  • "More integration with different platforms would be great, as everyone seems to want the solution to integrate with each team."

What is our primary use case?

We currently have limited users, less than 100. We have found it difficult to manage users who are working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Trend Micro Apex One has been a good option to update policies. I change the policy on the cloud so that it will be drilled down or updated automatically on the laptops when the users connect to the internet.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been very useful, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic when so many users are working from home. Trend Micro Apex One has enabled us to easily update policies on the cloud so that they will be drilled down or updated automatically on the laptops when the users connect to the internet.

What is most valuable?

I'm using the cloud solution, which I really like. I like being able to update policies on the cloud so that when users who are working from home connect to the internet, their laptops will be updated automatically. I also like that this solution is easy to use and is stable and scalable.

In the case of ransomware files, artificial intelligence is used in some places to start encrypting the files. I like the fact that Trend Micro Apex One has an option to restart the process and back up the files that are being encrypted.

What needs improvement?

More integration with different platforms would be great, as everyone seems to want the solution to integrate with each team.

We have been using this solution for a couple of years.

I feel that it is a stable solution that is easy to use as well.

I think Trend Micro Apex One is scalable. Right now, we have limited users, under 100.

We have been using Symantec End-User Endpoint Security and added Trend Micro Apex One to our environment.

Installation is very simple when a web portal is available. You can log in and create the policy. The initial setup process took about one to two hours.

I was able to implement it myself with the help of the vendor.

The setup is easy, and if your servers are managed on the cloud, you won't need to hire additional staff for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Trend Micro Apex One at nine. If you are looking for a data solution along with the end point, this would be an option to consider.

Also, Trend Micro Apex One has DLP options.

Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Apex One. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vikas Ingle
Infrastructure and security Lead at a program development consultancy with 201-500 employees
Feature-rich, easy to install, has good performance and good support
  • "Trend Micro Apex One has good features and is lightweight."
  • "They could improve the integration with Active Directory."

What is our primary use case?

We have 1,000 machines or endpoints that we need to protect. We use Apex One to protect them.

What is most valuable?

Trend Micro Apex One has good features and is lightweight.

It has good performance.

When I compare it with other solutions, it's good. There are no other features that I haven't been able to find.

What needs improvement?

There are some things that could make Trend Micro Apex One better.

They could improve the integration with Active Directory.

As Apex One has its own structure it is very difficult to click on files. Once integrated, it can import the OE structure of the Active Directory. It will make it very easy to click on files and get back to control.

We also use the device control, which is host named. I have to either lock or allow a hostname. By default, it is locked. For example, USB access and drive access will be blocked in the organization. If you need to allow some endpoints, we have to allow that particular hostname. Now anybody can log in to that host and use that USB access, but it should be user-based.

I would suggest that Trend Micro Web Proxy, TMWS a proxy solution that has a separate function integrate into one single agent.

Currently, you have one endpoint with one agent for the anti-malware DLP and another agent, for the proxy. If they could integrate both into a single agent. That would be great.

We have been using OfficeScan for the last six years.

Apex One was previously OfficeScan.

We are using the latest version.

Overall, the product is good. I don't have any issues with the stability of Trend Micro Apex One.

We have contacted technical support several times.

Technical support is good.

Earlier I was using McAfee and changed to Trend Micro Apex One. McAfee was also very good but Trend Micro provides more features and is more lightweight.

We are in the process of implementing XDR.

The installation process was not much of a challenge.

Trend Micro has very aggressive pricing, but it is also very good. It is one of the reasons we chose to use Trend Micro.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to use this solution, I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are not satisfied with the solution that you are currently using.

I would rate Trend Micro Apex One a nine out of ten.

Networking & Security Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, flexible, and easy to use
  • "The product has proven to be very flexible over the years that we have had it."
  • "The integration capabilities could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint security. It helps protect us from malware and viruses for the most part.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

The product has proven to be very flexible over the years that we have had it.

The stability has been very good so far. It's reliable.

We've found the initial setup to be quite straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I am a supervisor for the technical team. My technical team has used the product for the most part. I don't use the solution in a technical sense and therefore it is difficult to discuss what might be lacking or where changes may need to be made.

The integration capabilities could be a bit better. right now, it's my understanding that they are not as strong as they could be. It's an aspect that could be improved in future releases.

I've been using the solution for about five years or so. It's been a while.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable and the performance has been good overall. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We have around 2,000 users on the solution right now.

Technical support, in general, has been manageable. They are helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the level of service they provide to us.

The initial setup is very easy and quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with it. The process is not overly complex or difficult.

A full deployment only takes three to five days, and therefore isn't too time intensive in general.

We have three staff members that can handle deployment and maintenance responsibilities.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We didn't use a consultant or integrator at all. We're integrators ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We're systems integrators.

We're using the latest version of the solution right now.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been mostly happy with the product and its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Anand Dhouni
Assistance Manager-IT at ONGC Petro additions Limited
Integrates well, stable, scalable, and has good support
  • "The main benefit is the threat intelligence network of Trend Micro."
  • "The DLP model needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our endpoint security solution.

What is most valuable?

We are very satisfied with Trend Micro products.

The main benefit is the threat intelligence network of Trend Micro. It is very good.

It checks all signatures to ensure they are the latest and most up-to-date with the latest vulnerabilities.

The threat intelligence network is very good in Trend Micro.

It integrates well with different products. We are currently using three or four different versions of this endpoint. We use it in the security sector, we use Deep Security and it is working very well.

What needs improvement?

The integration needs to be improved. We are using the IDLP models and DLP models.

When integrating we are having some issues with the customization of our DLP policies.

The DLP model needs improvement. When compared to other market DLP products it is not as strong.

We have been using Trend Micro Apex One since 2018. Prior to this, it was known as OfficeScan.

Trend Micro Apex One is quite stable.

It is a scalable product.

We are an enterprise business with approximately 1300 endpoint users.

Technical support is fine. When we raised issues or complaints they would respond and resolve the issues in a timely fashion.

Earlier, I was working with OfficeScan, which was the previous brand.

We also use Trend Micro Endpoint, and Trend Micro Deep Discovery Inspector, and Deep Security.

I have been using Trend Micro Endpoint for the last five years.

With Trend Micro Deep Security and Trend Micro Apex One, the use cases are different. One is directly designed for server security and the other is for endpoint devices, which are mostly Windows 10 and Windows 8.

We are using Deep Security for our server and Apex One for our endpoints.

The initial setup of Trend Micro Apex One is easy.

From a commercial aspect, it is a bit higher compared to other market products.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Trend Micro Apex One a nine out of ten.

Sowjanya Mallela
Technical Security Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, easy to implement, with excellent support and good performance
  • "When comparing to other products the console is much more user-friendly, and it's easy to implement."
  • "We have received many complaints about how slow the system is on the first day of implementation."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and we work with many different products.

We have four to five customers that we have implemented Apex One for and everyone is quite satisfied.

Our customers are using this solution for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

Trend Micro is very good.

The performance is good and the control is user-friendly.

When comparing to other products, the console is much more user-friendly, and it's easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

When implementing and you don't have a third-party tool, it can be difficult. Most people are working from home and using their own network to connect to the local office, so implementing these authorities can be challenging.

I have been using Trend Micro Apex One for more than two years.

There are no issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution.

Our customers are large companies with more than 5,000 users.

Customer support is excellent. They respond very quickly.

We have faced some issues with McAfee.

The features in Sophos are very good and the detection capability is excellent.

It's very easy to implement.

Depending on the customer's environment and the features they are using, it can take two to three people to maintain and manage.

If they are using the device's central application to control everything at once for more than 2,000 users then a single person can't handle all of the modules. This would then require more people for maintenance.

The price is very good compared to other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Trend Micro, especially if they have a low budget.

If they have a larger budget then I could suggest Sophos, which is also a very good product.

It is all dependant on the customer's budget.

Cyber Security Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Centralized management, helpful support, and scalable
  • "Trend Micro Apex One most valuable features are centralized management, ease of use, and help user management. Additionally, it can detect vulnerabilities in the end-users system"
  • "The solution could improve security. It is important to always keep the organization secure."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Trend Micro Apex One for security.

What is most valuable?

Trend Micro Apex One most valuable features are centralized management, ease of use, and help user management. Additionally, it can detect vulnerabilities in the end-users system

The solution has been able to protect against any attacks or security issues.

When compared to other solutions it has the most value.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Trend Micro Apex One for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good enough for what we use it for.

The technical support is good. We have received good local and regional support from Trend Micro.

Trend Micro Apex One installation is not complicated, it's just straightforward. If you have some experience with the solution it is simple but if you are new to configuring the database it can be complicated. This is the one difficult aspect of the implementation, if they can do the database configuration everything else will be easy.

If I compare Trend Micro Apex One with other solutions there are a few challenges for customers who have do not need more licenses. Sometimes the customers struggle because this product is totally an enterprise solution, and the price for the licenses can be expensive for individuals or small organizations.

The premium level features should be added to the general features.  It would be very helpful for general users because when we are trying to provide the premium features to the general users, sometimes it's very costly. If features are available for general users, it would extend their market globally.

I have evaluated Microsoft Defender.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is if they want to protect their end-users, this is a great solution when compared to similar products.

I rate Trend Micro Apex One a nine out of ten.

Hitesh Bhandari
Network & Security Administrator at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, scalable and can easily be installed remotely or through dedicated tools
  • "The solution is stable and integrated into the system quite well."
  • "The technical support could have better response time."

What is our primary use case?

We use the latest version.

The solution handles all the necessary functions. These include machine learning, which is quite useful. The updates are constantly serviced and, as the solution is stable, it is updated daily.

What needs improvement?

The technical support could have better response time. It is quite time consuming and takes a day for them to get back to us.

I have been using Trend Micro Apex one for a couple of years.

The solution is stable and integrated into the system quite well.

The solution is scalable and its deployment varies with the server and license.

From the manager's vantage point, the solution has a straightforward setup for the user. It's quite easy.

The time the deployment takes is minimal, this process varying with the agent involved.

The installation can be done remotely. There are many options available, including dedicated tools for the deployment.

There are only two or three people needed for the deployment who are referred by the end user. They consist of managers, manager segments and engineers.

Our organization did not evaluate another solution prior to going with Trend Micro Apex One.

What other advice do I have?

We are talking about the smart scan, office scan.

The solution is integrated in the system quite well.

There are around 400 users making use of the solution in our organization.

I would, indeed, recommend the solution to others.

Trend Micro Apex One constantly provides us with updates and affords the systems good protection, so I rate it as a ten out of ten.

Download our free Trend Micro Apex One Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.