Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Sumanth Reddy - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good protection, good ability to detect ransomware and malware, and competitive pricing
  • "Its ability to detect ransomware and malware is the most valuable. Its protection is also good."
  • "The portal is a little bit slow in loading. The cloud portal or management control should be a little faster. There seems to be a lot of load on their servers over there. Maybe they are using one server for multiple customers. It would be great if they can increase server performance in the cloud. Its technical support and reporting can be improved. There is no proper reporting, and there is no PDF or things like that. They should include detailed reporting. An attack happened at a client's site, but we couldn't get the report on the same day. We were unable to provide a detailed report to our client. We approached the technical support, and even they didn't give proper answers. They need to improve the reporting capabilities, or the technical team should support us in providing these reports. They should include reporting in the solution. They should also insert sandbox analysis in Apex One."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for protecting our endpoints. Both Apex One and Worry-Free Services are cloud-based services.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been detecting the management activities and quarantining them so that the continuity of our business is maintained. We had a ransomware attack, and Trend Micro was there to stop the attack, and we are still in business.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to detect ransomware and malware is the most valuable. Its protection is also good.

What needs improvement?

The portal is a little bit slow in loading. The cloud portal or management control should be a little faster. There seems to be a lot of load on their servers over there. Maybe they are using one server for multiple customers. It would be great if they can increase server performance in the cloud.

Its technical support and reporting can be improved. There is no proper reporting, and there is no PDF or things like that. They should include detailed reporting. An attack happened at a client's site, but we couldn't get the report on the same day. We were unable to provide a detailed report to our client. We approached the technical support, and even they didn't give proper answers. They need to improve the reporting capabilities, or the technical team should support us in providing these reports. They should include reporting in the solution.

They should also insert sandbox analysis in Apex One.

Trend Micro Apex One
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Apex One. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for more than a year.

It has good stability.

Its scalability is good. We can scale it. We just need the licenses. In my company, we have 20 users, but we have also deployed it for our clients. We have plans to sell it more to our clients.

It is scalable for on-premises versions, but we need to do a few things to our database. For on-premises versions, we need to improve server performance as well.

Technical support should be improved. It is not as good as the other products. We had to generate a report on one of the attacks that happened, and they weren't much responsive.

The cloud services are straightforward, but the on-premises version of Apex One is not straightforward. It is a complex installation of Apex One.

The deployment duration varies. We have to first prepare all the prerequisites, which takes a lot of time. Overall, the installation takes up to two days. For a large enterprise, the deployment would take one to two days.

We are an integrator, so we implemented it ourselves.

Its pricing was good. It is very competitive with all the other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to install and implement this solution. It is a good solution. For every solution, there'll be pros and cons.

I would rate Trend Micro Apex One an eight out of ten.

Vikas Ingle - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure and security Lead at a program development consultancy with 201-500 employees
Reasonably priced, good anti-malware, stable, and scalable
  • "Along with the anti-malware, it has a built-in device control and DLP."
  • "It should have a single agent as competitors are offering."

What is most valuable?

It's a good product. The software is good.

We have not been faced with any issues as far as antivirus, or anti-malware is concerned.

Along with the anti-malware, it has a built-in device control and DLP. We have been using that and found it to be very useful.

Previously, we were using OfficeScan and now it is Apex Central. The Smart Scan feature and the update frequency have improved. The antivirus updates used to be once or twice a day, now it's in real-time. Every two hours there is a new definition or there is a new pack, which is a good thing.

We also like that it has Advanced Threat Protection because it is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

The driving force behind Trend Micro is not wanting two different agents on the same machine. If the cloud proxy could be on the same agent, it would increase our footprint on the client machine. Instead of running two agents, we think it would be better to run a single one.

The only concern that I have is with Trend Micro not having Cloud Proxy integrated into the same agent and the same console.

They have two different products, Cloud Proxy, and Anti-malware with DLP, which the only reason we are considering replacing it.

It should have a single agent, as competitors are offering.

We have been using Trend Micro Apex One for four and a half years.

Presently, the version we are using is Apex Central.

This product is quite stable.

Trend Micro Apex One is very much scalable.

We have 1,000 licenses.

Before Trend Micro, we were using McAfee.

We switched because of the price difference. There is a huge price difference between Trend Micro and McAfee.

Our local partners deployed this solution.

We are not required to buy new licenses. The existing licenses will expire and we have to renew the license.

The issue is that we have requested a web proxy, cloud proxy feature, but the cloud proxy, with Trend Micro, has a different console, it's a different agent.

But I understand other competitors like CrowdStrike and Sophos, have a single agent for anti-malware that includes the DLP, the device control, and the cloud proxy.

The price for Trend Micro is reasonable.

Because it is time for renewal, I have been evaluating other solutions to see if I should stay with Trend Micro or if I should replace it. We are evaluating products such as Crowdstrike, Sophos, and Cloud Proxy, but the prices are quite high.

What other advice do I have?

The product is very good. It's stable, and if you are not looking for a cloud based proxy then you should go for Trend Micro. The pricing is very good, but Cloud proxy pricing is very high.

I would rate Trend Micro Apex One a nine out of ten.

Trend Micro Apex One
September 2022
635,162 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Engineer at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good technical support with the capability to scale and offers real-time scanning
  • "The solution offers good community support."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution could be simplified a bit."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is an endpoint antivirus. We primarily use it for endpoint security and protection.

Most of the customer requirements are just to have endpoint security - and something that is not just pattern-based or signature-based. They want to have protection with zero-day attacks and suspicious malware alerts.

What is most valuable?

Their real-time scan feature is excellent. It's proactively scanning every movement within the machine or the workstation. It's a very nice security feature.

The solution is largely stable.

The initial setup can be pretty straightforward.

The technical support is good. They have local techs that can assist. We don't have to worry about time zones, et cetera.

The solution offers good community support.

What needs improvement?

Trend Micro's reporting is lacking in a lot of ways. Right now, I have some customers that want the report to be customized, and we're having trouble with the customization of the reports in general. They need to make the features more flexible to meet the needs of clients. It's far too difficult to customize right now.

It would be ideal if the solution could be simplified a bit.

The product needs to execute faster. It's an aspect that can be improved upon in future releases.

I've been working with the solution over the last 12 months at least.

The stability, for the most part, is very good. There are a few bigs and fixes here and there, however, that is typical of most software. It's not something that stops it from being reliable.

We largely handle enterprise implementations.

I'm satisfied with the level of support we get. Their support is good since they have local support here in the Philippines. They are knowledgeable and responsive, and it's nice to have local help.

The initial setup is straightforward, as long as the setup of the customer is also straightforward. There could be some complexities involved. It depends on the current setup or network set up of the customers.

I don't have the visibility in terms of pricing. It's not an aspect of the solution I concern with. I can't speak to the licensing costs or how often the company needs to pay.

It actually competes with McAfee and Symantec. They are our direct competitors.

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers of Trend Micro.

We're using the latest version of the solution. I'm not sure of the exact version number.

We use various deployment models, including on-premises and cloud.

In general, I would rate the solution nine out of ten. Our customers, for the most part, have been quite happy with the solution and its level of security.

Nagendran Ponnan - PeerSpot reviewer
DGM-IT at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Solid endpoint security with zero-day vulnerability.
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are the endpoint security with the zero-day vulnerability. They have an on-premise sandboxing solution which prevents any of those zero-day vulnerability issues."
  • "The main thing they need to improve is their reporting functionality and the forensics for their on-premise consult. They do not have very good reporting features or forensic functionality in the on-premise version. They need to improve that."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Trend Micro Apex One in two scenarios. One is for endpoint security and the other is for endpoint management. We are also using the restricting USB tool, taxes, and application control.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are the endpoint security with the zero-day vulnerability. They have an on-premise sandboxing solution which prevents any of those zero-day vulnerability issues.

What needs improvement?

The main thing they need to improve is their reporting functionality and the forensics for their on-premise consult. They do not have very good reporting features or forensic functionality in the on-premise version. They need to improve that. They have a cloud version called Trend Micro XDR. It has that functionality, but they do not have that kind of thing on the on-premise solution.

The things I would like to see improved in future releases are better price and support, and the reporting functionality in the on-premise solution.

We have been using Trend Micro Apex One for a very long time. We are a long-term customer with Trend Micro - more than five years. We have the latest version of Trend Micro on-premise with EDR support.

It is stable, that is why we are a long-term customer. Right?

Trend Micro Apex One is scalable.

We have approximately 1,500 plus users using it and we require only two people to manage it.

In terms of increasing usage, that depends on the number of employees. We are marginally increasing this year by year. It all depends on the business bracket.

Their support needs to be improved. We need to wait for a long time to get even a quick fix -  this needs to be addressed on the Trend Micro side. Their support is not as good as expected. The people are knowledgeable but they take a long time.

I cannot tell you exactly if it was straightforward or not because it was very long back that we installed it. At that time we faced some issues because we needed to identify what was missing. Those kinds of issues were there, and slowly, we sorted that out.

We implemented with a Trend Micro implementation partner.

Previously, we had the three years package. Now, we are just renewing every year.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Apex One to other people. But it is a little bit of a pricey product. If they are able to pay this costly price, then definitely, I can recommend it.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Trend Micro Apex One an eight.

Infraestructura & Seguridad TI at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
DLP feature is useful for our environment and we also get good support, but it needs a lighter agent that doesn't impact the performance
  • "DLP is a solid feature in the product. I like it very much. It is very useful in our environment. It is also a very stable solution. Their support is also very good."
  • "Trend Micro should make the agent lighter. When we run the scanning process, it consumes a lot of memory, and the performance is degraded. It is very invasive. It could be lighter. When we used Symantec, we didn't have this problem when we ran our scanning process. It worked like a charm. On the endpoints, it didn't feel like that the process is running, whereas, in Trend Micro Apex One, we can feel that the endpoint is running slow. Sometimes it even hangs. Scanning should be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as an antivirus solution. We are testing the Data Loss Prevention feature, but basically, we are using it for our endpoints in a segmented network. There is not so much traffic to the internet.

What is most valuable?

DLP is a solid feature in the product. I like it very much. It is very useful in our environment.

It is also a very stable solution. Their support is also very good.

What needs improvement?

Trend Micro should make the agent lighter. When we run the scanning process, it consumes a lot of memory, and the performance is degraded. It is very invasive. It could be lighter. When we used Symantec, we didn't have this problem when we ran our scanning process. It worked like a charm. On the endpoints, it didn't feel like that the process is running, whereas, in Trend Micro Apex One, we can feel that the endpoint is running slow. Sometimes it even hangs. Scanning should be faster.

I have been using this solution for around three months.

It is very stable.

It should be easy to scale. We have 40,000 subscriptions.

We are using the support from our region, and they provide very good support. They have very well-trained people.

We are migrating next week from Symantec Endpoint Protection to Trend Micro. We are part of a corporation that has offices in many countries of South America. We signed an agreement with Trend Micro, and that's why we are switching to Trend Micro.

The initial setup was straightforward. It takes a day to configure the server for configuration policies and other such stuff. For the deployment of the endpoints, it can take 15 days to set it up at the workplace.

Our IT department has around two people working on IT infrastructure and security. Those are the required people.

We have a yearly subscription. Our subscription includes all solutions of Apex One, such as endpoint protection, DLP, and ransomware protection. We are paying around $30 for each.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. Apex One has to make some changes to the scanning process. That's a negative point, but on the other hand, we get good support that responds almost immediately to our requests.

I would rate Trend Micro Apex One a seven out of ten.

Other
Senior Manager Information Security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
An easy initial setup with good technical support and great security
  • "Technical support is quite knowledgeable and helpful."
  • "The solution could use signatureless detection."

What is our primary use case?

Trend Micro Apex One is a nine-point security solution from Trend Micro. We primarily use the solution for all of the scanning of our endpoint devices.

What is most valuable?

Trend Micro ensures the number of signatures is updated on time. If you have updated versions of signatures, they are built into the database quickly without wasting time.

If you don't update your database in real-time, the problem is there can be zero-day exploits. Hackers or malicious attacks might get through. Trend Micro in that sense is a very good product as it allows us to have access to the database all the time. The security is excellent. That is the most valuable aspect.

Technical support is quite knowledgeable and helpful.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use signatureless detection.

The EDR capabilities should be built into the solution. In my opinion, the native endpoint product should have the capability of EDR also. The product should be capable of actually building some behavior-based analytics so that it can actually detect signature lists.

I've been using the solution for about three months. However, I had been using a previous version of the solution, known as Office Scan, for the last two or three years or so.

The solution is scalable.

We currently have 2,000 users on the solution.

We intend to increase usage in the future.

We've reached out to technical support in the past and we've always gotten the help we needed. We're satisfied with the level of support we receive.

We didn't previously use a different solution. We've always used Trend Micro.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward.

The deployment doesn't take much time, however, it depends on the size of the organization. It's very slow to deploy the product to multiple clients. If your organization has a 10,000 user base, sit will take longer than if you have a 2,000 user base. It just varies according to the number of machines to which it will actually be deployed.

We have about 2,000 users and we have a team of three or four people that handle maintenance.

I am the security manager on the end solution security team in the organization. The deployment was actually done by the IT team within my team. We didn't need the assistance of consultants or integrators.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this solution at a nine. It's been very good. We've been happy with the results so far.

Credits Incharge at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Can be used to easily update policies on the cloud
  • "I'm using the cloud solution, which I really like. I like being able to update policies on the cloud so that when users who are working from home connect to the internet, their laptops will be updated automatically. I also like that this solution is easy to use and is stable and scalable"
  • "More integration with different platforms would be great, as everyone seems to want the solution to integrate with each team."

What is our primary use case?

We currently have limited users, less than 100. We have found it difficult to manage users who are working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Trend Micro Apex One has been a good option to update policies. I change the policy on the cloud so that it will be drilled down or updated automatically on the laptops when the users connect to the internet.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been very useful, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic when so many users are working from home. Trend Micro Apex One has enabled us to easily update policies on the cloud so that they will be drilled down or updated automatically on the laptops when the users connect to the internet.

What is most valuable?

I'm using the cloud solution, which I really like. I like being able to update policies on the cloud so that when users who are working from home connect to the internet, their laptops will be updated automatically. I also like that this solution is easy to use and is stable and scalable.

In the case of ransomware files, artificial intelligence is used in some places to start encrypting the files. I like the fact that Trend Micro Apex One has an option to restart the process and back up the files that are being encrypted.

What needs improvement?

More integration with different platforms would be great, as everyone seems to want the solution to integrate with each team.

We have been using this solution for a couple of years.

I feel that it is a stable solution that is easy to use as well.

I think Trend Micro Apex One is scalable. Right now, we have limited users, under 100.

We have been using Symantec End-User Endpoint Security and added Trend Micro Apex One to our environment.

Installation is very simple when a web portal is available. You can log in and create the policy. The initial setup process took about one to two hours.

I was able to implement it myself with the help of the vendor.

The setup is easy, and if your servers are managed on the cloud, you won't need to hire additional staff for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Trend Micro Apex One at nine. If you are looking for a data solution along with the end point, this would be an option to consider.

Also, Trend Micro Apex One has DLP options.

IT Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides good protection, is simple to use, has a user-friendly interface, and is reasonably priced
  • "One of the better features, in my opinion, is that it also makes use of a web reputation. For example, if someone accidentally clicks on a link in an email that leads to a malicious website, they will block it."
  • "The only thing that I would like to see changed or improved in the next release is when it reports C&C callbacks, to make it easier to trace, to see what's doing that, whether it's a program checking for updates or a malicious program."

What is our primary use case?

Trend Micro Apex One was an upgrade for a desktop virus scanner, web reputation, and a firewall.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use.

One of the better features, in my opinion, is that it also makes use of a web reputation. For example, if someone accidentally clicks on a link in an email that leads to a malicious website, they will block it.

The interface is good.

It's an excellent product for a desktop.

What needs improvement?

The only improvement I can see is that it occasionally warns us about callbacks, and there's almost no way to trace it back other than a Windows service, making it difficult to completely eliminate it, or know what program is creating the callback.

The only thing that I would like to see changed or improved in the next release is when it reports C&C callbacks, to make it easier to trace, to see what's doing that, whether it's a program checking for updates or a malicious program. At this time, all it says is that it's a C&C callback and then traces back to a Windows Service.

We have been using Trend Micro Apex One for approximately 20 years.

We upgraded to Apex One, between four and six months ago.

Trend Micro Apex One is a stable solution.

Trend Micro Apex One is very scalable.

It's on everyone's desktop on their computers.

We don't have any plans to increase our usage.

Previously, we used the OfficeScan version.

We are currently using Carbon Black as well.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We gradually upgraded everyone from the previous version to the new version. If I add up all of the time we spent getting everything done, it probably took us a couple of weeks.

There are two of us that manage this solution as well as Carbon Black.

We completed the installation in-house.

We have never calculated the ROI. It may be difficult to calculate, but all it has to do is keep you safe once or twice and it has paid for itself.

The pricing is good.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

If I remember correctly, the cost is approximately four and a half thousand per year.

There are no additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Trend Micro Apex One a nine out of ten.

Download our free Trend Micro Apex One Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022