IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Trend Micro Apex One OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Trend Micro Apex One is #2 ranked solution in top Endpoint Compliance tools and #11 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give Trend Micro Apex One an average rating of 8 out of 10. Trend Micro Apex One is most commonly compared to Trend Micro Deep Security: Trend Micro Apex One vs Trend Micro Deep Security. Trend Micro Apex One is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 55% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
Trend Micro Apex One Buyer's Guide

Download the Trend Micro Apex One Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Trend Micro Apex One?

Powered by the Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™, Trend Micro Apex One™ is a highly-regarded, popular, locally-managed anti-malware solution that keeps endpoints secure from a diverse assortment of internet threats. Trend Micro Apex One™ is an integrated solution consisting of the Security Agent that resides at the endpoint and the Apex One server that manages all Security Agents.

The Security Agents respond directly to the server to which they were installed. They report event data such as threat detection, Security Agent activity (startup and shutdown), when a scan begins, when a scan ends, and update progress to the server in real time.

An organization’s designated IT administrators can control Security Agent settings from the server and are empowered to grant users the privilege to configure specific settings.

Trend Micro Apex One™ uses a host-based prevention system (HIPS). HIPS will create a virtual patch for unknown and known threats prior to the time when the appropriate patch is available or deployable. This will expand protection to important platforms and virtual or physical devices while minimizing the time needed for an emergency patch event and preventing downtime. UsingTrend Micro Apex One™, users receive next-gen XDR robust features to improve detection, response, and investigation proficiencies. Users are able to expand features over numerous security layers for improved comprehensive visibility and faster response to threats impacting their entire enterprise.

“Automated, Insightful, All-in-one Protection”

Automation: The Trend Micro Apex One™ solution provides the latest advanced automated threat awareness and precise defense against the continual barrage of the latest threats, including fileless and ransomware. The multi-generational amalgamation of up-to-date processes ensures thorough and precise endpoint protection that optimizes production, productivity, and profitability.

Insightful: With Trend Micro Apex One™, users get useful, intuitive insights, increased investigative competencies, and improved visibility by utilizing an open API set, a next-gen EDR toolset, and powerful, robust SIEM integration. Users can choose to execute intensive threat analyses that go past the endpoints and provide additional support to the organization's security teams with a guided detection and remediation service.

All-in-one: In today’s aggressive, dynamic marketplace, organizations require threat protection that goes beyond basic antivirus. Trend Micro Apex One™ provides robust threat detection, immediate response, and thorough follow-up all within a single solution. Users can now do without numerous solutions and unnecessary devices and attain elasticity of deployment using both SaaS and on-premises deployment options.

Reviews from Real Users

Pawel B., Head of IT Department at a maritime company, tells us that "Trend Micro Apex One is good at detecting zero-day threats. When the solution was in operation I did not notice any system performance problems. Upgrades of the solution were simple to do and there are plenty of features."

An IT Administrator at a manufacturing company says, "One of the better features, in my opinion, is that it also makes use of a web reputation. For example, if someone accidentally clicks on a link in an email that leads to a malicious website, they will block it."

A Network Specialist at a computer software company concludes that Trend Micro Apex One is “Quick to install and stable threat protection software.”

Trend Micro Apex One was previously known as OfficeScan, Trend Micro OfficeScan.

Trend Micro Apex One Customers

Atma Jaya Catholic University of Indonesia, A&W Food Services of Canada, Babou, Beth Israel Deaconess Care Organization (BO), DCI Donor Services, Evalueserve, Gulftainer, Hiroshima Prefectural Government, MEDHOST

Trend Micro Apex One Video

Trend Micro Apex One Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Trend Micro Apex One pricing:
  • "Licensing costs depend completely on the number of users or licenses. They have a specific pricing structure. For example, if you are looking for 100 users to be on the product, in the Indian market (we're based in India), the cost is nearly $2,500 to $3,000 maximum for one three-year license."
  • "The SaaS version is competitively priced and amazingly easy to set up."
  • "The pricing of Trend Micro Apex One was reasonable. There is a license required to use the solution and we have upgraded the solution to include some additional features, such as XDR."
  • "When compared to Symantec, Kaspersky, and others the price is higher, they are more expensive."
  • Trend Micro Apex One Reviews

IT Administrator at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
    Beneficial machine learning and good vendor support
    • "The most valuable features of Trend Micro Apex One are it has its own machine learning and it is quite fast, compared with the other solutions. When you're comparing the other solutions, each has pros and cons, you cannot claim one is 100 percent suitable for you. None of the solutions dominate in all areas."
    • "We had some problems with Trend Micro Apex One doing the updates and patches. Some of the other vendor's support has said that Trend Micro Apex One receives database signatures updates too late."

What is our primary use case?

We use Trend Micro Apex One on our systems and servers for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Trend Micro Apex One are it has its own machine learning and it is quite fast, compared with the other solutions. When you're comparing the other solutions, each has pros and cons, you cannot claim one is 100 percent suitable for you. None of the solutions dominate in all areas.

What needs improvement?

We had some problems with Trend Micro Apex One doing the updates and patches. Some of the other vendor's support has said that Trend Micro Apex One receives database signatures updates too late. Trend Micro Apex One consumes a bit more resources of your PCs than we would like to have consumed. We do not scan during busy hours of the network because it slows down my data network. What we have done is, we have kept everything after business hours. We have a scheduled scanning in our networks. I have two operating systems running on my computer and when I start scanning Trend Micro Apex One consumes too many resources, such as processor power. For example, when you are in business hours and the scanning starts, your other operations in software, such as Excel, will have the performance slow down. Overall his solution is good. I have worked with other solutions, such as Kaspersky, and it consumes approximately 35 to 40 percent of the maximum resources and Trend Micro Apex One consumes approximately 40 percent of the resources. The best thing is the delegation gene of this Trend Micro is amazing.

I have used Trend Micro Apex One within the last 12 months.
    Trend Micro Apex One
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Apex One. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of Trend Micro Apex One depends on how you use it. Additionally, the strength of the data connectivity from one branch to another matter. If your main server is on-premises, the solution's updates and patches should be sent from over the network. For example, if you have a data network, ERP, and internal intranet servers or data connectivity when the server sends the package the bandwidth is important. The bandwidth is something you have to consider with the cloud solution you have. If it is on-premises, your data will be updated quickly.

We have not needed to contact the support from Trend Micro Apex One. We have a support vendor that has certified engineers. The access to our servers is with our support vendors. We do not need to log into our server often because we have installed a thread on this server. If the server is disrupted, it loses connectivity or shut down for some reason, we receive a thread through email,  MMS, or network monitoring system we have. We can have alerts from there. If we have any modification required, we call up the support team or support vendor and they will send an email. Once they're done, they will ask us to check if what they did resolve our issues.

I have previously used other solutions, such as Kaspersky Endpoint.  Trend Micro Apex One and Kaspersky Endpoint are close to being the same solution. I would rate Kaspersky Endpoint higher than Trend Micro Apex One. The drawback with Kaspersky Endpoint is if the computer systems are out of the network for a long time and the system comes back online, it takes a long time to synchronize and to receive updates. It updates, but it updates very slow, regardless, of whatever internal bandwidth you have. Even if you have changed the source from the on-premises server to the Kaspersky website to the Kaspersky cloud, it takes time. In Kaspersky Endpoint, some of the hash files are hard to find. The most valuable feature of Kaspersky is, the moment you install the Net Agent, it immediately starts the inventory. This happens regardless of whether you have a system in your domain or non-domain, it scans your network fully.

We only prepare the servers with Trend Micro Apex One for the customers. We give them VPN access with one server and their team is working on it to maintain it. However, we are receiving monitor reports from the solution.

The solution is completely monitored and maintained by our third-party solution provider.

What other advice do I have?

I am looking to upgrade Trend Micro Apex One to another solution. Both Kaspersky and SentinelOne, are under my budget and I am planning to move to one of them soon. We are looking for a change because I have Windows 7 which is considered a legacy OS. It has been made completely obsolete by Microsoft. We're planning to update our machine to Windows 11 and then we will think of changing the Trend Micro Apex One. I have not found a good deal or sales, I would stick with Trend Micro Apex One because I have never faced any problem. Whatever I want, this solution has. I cannot give you any negative feedback. We are using two threat protection solutions. We have different locations and they are in different countries. In some countries, we are using Kaspersky and Trend Micro Apex One, and they both are on the same platform. We have not purchased the EDR module for Trend Micro Apex One, we use the basic endpoint. At this moment I'm looking for the EDR option, endpoint detection response, and the rollback. Trend Micro Apex One Apex One doesn't have the rollback feature. I rate Trend Micro Apex One an eight out of ten.

Boris Rapoport - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The management is really good, you can see everything on the dashboard
    • "The management console is pretty good. We have a dashboard that shows us what stuff to log, different malicious links that people are trying to access and also if somebody was trying to connect something to the computer, to a USB port or something like that, and if this person is on the under control management. It shows that he tried and he got blocked."
    • "We're not sure if we're going to continue with those products or their products or we're going to switch to something else. That's why we stopped the immigration process. If we were going to replace another product, it's not really efficient to waste time on it moving patients and other clients."

What is most valuable?

The management console is pretty good. We have a dashboard that shows us what stuff to log, different malicious links that people are trying to access and also if somebody was trying to connect something to the computer, to a USB port or something like that, and if this person is on the under control management. It shows that he tried and he got blocked. Also, the virus and malware attempts that were trying to attack the computer storage and stuff like that so the console is pretty intuitive, it's pretty user friendly.

Managing the clients themselves, if, for example, I want to have different sites and laws. It's pretty easy to manage the clients and also to move them to different containers. The migration process itself is really easy from office scanning G to Apex One. It's just a few clicks to migrate the clients so the management is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

It works okay. The management console itself looks pretty much like the regular Office Mechanics.

We are looking into different solutions, like SentinelOne and Sophos. We might continue with Apex One, it also depends on budget and pricing.

We enabled it a few months ago, but we only moved five to six clients from the office scan from the regular and point protection to Apex One. So far, it has actually resolved as one of the bugs that we had because the regular office scan, a client agent was causing some Windows problems. A lot of Windows systems were crashing, having blue screens. We didn't know what the message share or message said. We tried to analyze it and stuff like that. Eventually, we found out that it was actually because of the OfficeScan agent, the regular agent, and after moving them to Apex One, the blue screens had stopped. This was a good improvement.

It's stable.

We're actually a very small team, currently, we're down to three. IT and infrastructure people deal with all of the network issues and all of the management of the systems for our IT systems and products. One guy does help desk and another person and I were managing the systems. It's actually down to two people to manage all of the other stuff like that.

We use it on a daily basis, Monitoring is part of our daily monitoring and schedule. We're going from our different systems, more critical stuff in the morning, for a few hours and then we get to our later tasks and stuff like that.

We offer support to the vendor directly. They were at our site two times already during the negotiation with the management.

Based on the latest experience with technical support which was moving from migrating from the IMSDA to the DDI, it was actually pretty good. There was one support guy that worked with over the phone and everything is remote of course and after about two or three hours, all of it was running in production with the new system.

We previously used Symantec. I was mainly dealing with the end point, installing, and uninstalling it and solving different issues that were involved or problems that were involved due to the Symantec endpoint client, but besides that, I wasn't managing the system.

The main difference between the two is the heaviness that was edited with Symantec on the endpoint client itself and into the client. The agent is pretty heavy on the resources sometimes, the memory specialists and we feel that with Trend, the product is more light on the station, and doesn't consume a lot of resources. That's I think the main issue.

The initial setup was straightforward. We did the migration ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

As a current user of Trend Micro, I would recommend it, it does the job. It works fine and usually stops different virus attempts. The management is really good, you can see everything on the dashboard. If someone downloads some kind of infected file or some malicious file, we can see it and it usually gets blocked automatically.

I would rate Apex One an eight out of ten.

In the next release, I would like to have the ability that if something happens, then we have a record of what exactly has occurred on the station, how it started and how it evolved and eventually, in case something bad happened, something malicious gets through and it wasn't recognized in the signatures and the station got infected so that we can later come and analyze and investigate it and see what exactly happened and learn from it actually for the next time.

Trend Micro Apex One
    June 2022
    609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Abbasi Poonawala - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Advanced all-in-one endpoint security
    • "The initial setup was very straightforward."
    • "They should include easy-to-use connectors to make it easier to connect to SIEM."

What is our primary use case?

We use Trend Micro to build our entire, CI/CD pipeline. In short, I check out the code from my VCS (Version Control System), then I run a static code analysis as the first job in the pipeline.

From that point onward, I can do multiple scans in multiple environments. For example, I can have the code checkout from my Dev environment, run the static code analysis, then I can do a folder scan. I perform the scan in my Dev environment, in the integration environment, and in the UAP environment. These are the multiple scans that you can run and enter on your application.

All the static code analysis is on the application-side, and the rest of the workflows can be triggered in several places throughout the pipeline and on the infrastructure side as well. I can use it to do VAPT (vulnerability assessment and penetration testing) throughout the entire pipeline.

Broadly speaking, it means adopting the DevOps culture of Trend Micro. DevOps culture is well adopted in Trend Micro. It's very comparable to Prisma Cloud. Palo Alto has recently informed me about their Prisma Cloud offering regarding CI/CD deployment.

We develop and deploy the CI/CD pipeline in the free workflow, using various tools like GitLab.

Palo Alto is a big competitor of Trend Micro.

Within our organization, there are roughly 1,000 plus users, using Trend Micro.

We definitely plan on using Trend Micro in the future. They are one of our preferred vendors, along with Forescout.

Forescout handles the initial stages of threat discovery and it integrates with SIEM.

If we are going to continue with Trend Micro as our endpoint security solution, then we need to have a SIEM solution, like IBM QRadar, ArcSight, Forescout, Micro Focus ArcSight.

What needs improvement?

Trend Micro does region-based scanning — the threats are shown in different regions.

I did some workshops based on tracking zero-day vulnerabilities, etc.

Trend Micro's coverage and scans can be broadened to encompass different types of classified threats based on different parameters.

For example, say I want to filter out all of the threats in The United States. In this case, I will see the US region and I will see the number of threats that are present on my infrastructure. This is referred to as threat intelligence.

When I was in this workshop, the filters always recommend that we start with the region as a first parameter. Once you get into the region (the US region), you might look at the different data centers within the US, then within the different data centers, you can drill down on the folder — on the number of hosts.

The host can then be extracted from the region and the region can be marked red. Red means there are a lot of vulnerabilities in a particular region. If Multiple hosts have multiple vulnerabilities, then the entire region will be marked red. Trend Micro somewhat shows this on their dashboard. In other words, the parameters should be improved, including zero-day filtering.

They should include easy-to-use connectors to make it easier to connect to SIEM. The integration environment has to be available so it can easily connect to SIEM.

Also, you should be able to perform more scans.

I have been using Trend Micro for two years.

Trend Micro is both scalable and stable.

We are satisfied with the technical support. They are available 24/7.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I did the installation by myself.

Regarding deployment topologies, whether it's on-premises, a hybrid cloud, or a public or private cloud, installation is quite easy. It will be up and running within a couple of hours.

Once we deployed it, we had to connect the console to the dashboard. Once the dashboard was up and running, we could filter out threats by connecting to the Trend Micro Data Security Operations Center, which has a threat intelligence ability that highlights all of the threats. The data comes from the CMDB database and It shows us the CVS4 of each threat.

If you buy Trend Micro, you will also need to purchase a SIEM solution which is often quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Trend Micro to other potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Trend Micro a rating of eight.

Hybrid Cloud
    Sikendra Jena - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Lead Specialist at Hitachi Systems, Ltd.
    Stable and easy to set up with good flexibility
    • "The solution is very simple to use and easy to deploy."
    • "The integration capabilities of the solution could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution a SaaS-based service to streamline the setup, as it only requires one agent and not multiple licenses.

What is most valuable?

We're an integrator. We have a business relationship with the company.

Apex One is a single agent that covers most needs and has a SaaS-based model, so we do not need any in-house set up to host this application. There will be no additional charges for those types of needs in that area.

Product-wise it is perfectly fine. If you compare similar kinds of services from other competitors, you'll find you need to go for multiple licenses and multiple agents with other products. However, with Apex One, it gives one single solution, with just one agent and most of your problems are resolved. It's like a silver bullet.

The solution offers very good machine learning.

The solution is very simple to use and easy to deploy.

The solution is very flexible and works on multiple platforms as well as on servers.

What needs improvement?

The integration capabilities of the solution could be improved.

In a DLT context, the solution needs more features. The DLT needs to be more fully fleshed out. Trend Micro claims that they are security provider, not the compliance provider, and the DLT is a completely compliance-based solution.

We're an integrator and have been using the solution for a while now.

The solution is very stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze on us.

In terms of scalability, it depends on what you mean. Add-on licenses are easy to implement. You can add them at any point in time and if it supports your endpoint machine, it supports other machines as well. It supports your ATM machines and it works on various platforms, including Mac and iOS. You can install it on servers as well. There's quite a lot of flexibility within the product.

Trend Micros has a pretty large customer base. I'm not sure how many people are on the solution currently. I know that a decent number of organizations are using it.

We assist our clients in technical support as needed.

The product's technical support is also fine, as they have a completely channel-based model. In that context, you can buy from your solution provider or reseller. They, like us, will have tech support available. In our case, we have our own engineers who are trained on Trend Micro products. They are good and they're free to use for our clients.

The solution's initial implementation is not difficult or complex. It's easy to deploy and quite straightforward.

We're a system integrator. We implement the solution for our clients.

It is a completely SaaS-based model.

Licensing costs depend completely on the number of users or licenses. They have a specific pricing structure. For example, if you are looking for 100 users to be on the product, in the Indian market (we're based in India), the cost is nearly $2,500 to $3,000 maximum for one three-year license. We'll usually get a three-year subscription.

What other advice do I have?

We're quite familiar and regularly work with Trend Micro products.

The solution is endpoint protection bundled with a couple of more features, with basically a lot of DLT application filtering, et cetera.

We are a system integrator. We offer tech support and help our customers. We sell Trend Micro licenses to companies.

I'd recommend the solution. It's very nice. We've supplied it to many clients with very good results. We haven't received any complaints at all and our agents are satisfied with the solution.

Overall, I'd rank it nine out of ten.

reviewer1578687 - PeerSpot reviewer
    User at South State Bank
    Straightforward to set up, knowledgeable support, and the web reputation and user behavior monitoring features help to mitigate careless user actions
    • "We really like the ability to have different policies to keep servers and endpoints unique to their own policy."
    • "I'd like to see the different interface components combined into one, or be allowed to get to the agent management portion without having to log into the main console."

What is our primary use case?

We use Apex One for Antivirus only.

Our company currently has more than 8,500 machines with the Apex One agent installed, including servers and workstations. We are a 100% Microsoft Windows environment.

Being a financial institution, data integrity is paramount to keeping our customers' information safe, as well as the well-being of the bank. We use the Apex One web console to review logs and triage any infections that may be occurring or that have occurred.

How has it helped my organization?

Apex One has streamlined our AV. We use the SaaS instance in the cloud.

We use real-time scans, manual and scheduled scans for viruses, malware, grayware, ransomware, etc. We also use other modules like Behavior monitoring and predictive machine learning, malicious web tracking, and blocking.

We were previously using the Trend Micro OfficeScan antivirus product, so it was only natural that we upgraded to the Apex One product when we decided to upgrade. The SaaS instance in the cloud was right for us.

What is most valuable?

We really have found the web reputation monitoring and the behavior monitoring portions to be highly valuable. These modules really cut down on careless user impact.

Behavior monitoring keeps ransomware from taking hold.

Real-time scans also monitor files as they are accessed, downloaded, sent, etc.

We have our environment set up to alert our security department not only when endpoints are infected, but for anything that is considered a low risk that may need further investigation.

A daily check of the logs helps us keep an eye on those things.

What needs improvement?

The console is divided into two parts. One for the policy and configuration, another for agent management. I'd like to see the different interface components combined into one, or be allowed to get to the agent management portion without having to log into the main console.

Another item that I would like to see change is the fact that, on occasion, the console will be updated and items that I once knew the location of have moved to a different location. I would like to see a model where we are alerted to the changes as they happen.

We have been using Trend Micro Apex One for six months.

Stability-wise, we have no complaints. We have had zero downtime with our SaaS instance.

From what I've seen, we would have no issue adding more policies, endpoints, etc. to our environment.

Our account manager and lead tech were essential in setting this up and getting everything the way we needed. They were quick to answer our questions and very knowledgeable.

We were an OfficeScan portion, which was rebranded and upgraded to Apex One.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

Go to the site, answer a few questions and within five minutes, you're up and running.

We did the work in-house, with support from our Trend team if needed.

Our ROI is yet to be determined, as we have not had the product long enough.

The SaaS version is competitively priced and amazingly easy to set up.

We evaluated CrowdStrike, Carbon Black, and FireEye.

What other advice do I have?

We have really had a good experience so far with Apex One.

Other
    Head of IT Department at a maritime company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Effective zero-day threat detection, good performance, and plenty of features
    • "Trend Micro Apex One is good at detecting zero-day threats. When the solution was in operation I did not notice any system performance problems. Upgrades of the solution were simple to do and there are plenty of features."
    • "If certain alerts could be translated into day-to-day English with some action plans, a few points, what to do, and how to do it, that would help me personally as IT Manager. They have some recommendations regarding the vulnerability of the endpoint. They take you to some very technical information and if you are not a security engineer or security-trained you might not understand what they're talking about. We are a small company and it would benefit if things were explained better, we cannot afford a dedicated Trend Micro Apex One engineer."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Trend Micro Apex One for security.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Trend Micro Apex One can be at times heavy on resources, but I did not notice any difference as an end-user.

If certain alerts could be translated into day-to-day English with some action plans, a few points, what to do, and how to do it, that would help me personally as IT Manager. They have some recommendations regarding the vulnerability of the endpoint. They take you to some very technical information and if you are not a security engineer or security-trained you might not understand what they're talking about. We are a small company and it would benefit if things were explained better, we cannot afford a dedicated Trend Micro Apex One engineer.

I have been using Trend Micro Apex One for approximately eight years.

The solution has been stable. We have not had any problems with ransomware or anything else.

We are a small company and I am not sure how scalable it is. It has worked fine in our usage.

We have approximately 200 endpoints.

I have not contacted the support from Trend Micro.

We have used other solutions in the past, such as Kaspersky, but we currently are migrating to a Microsoft solution. Since we use many Microsoft solutions and wanted to consolidate the organization it seemed like the natural thing to do to move from Trend Micro Apex One to Microsoft.

The installation of Trend Micro Apex One is straightforward. Once we added the endpoints to the console the installation was not problematic in any way.

I would rate the migration and implementation of Trend Micro Apex One a five out of five.

We receive weekly maintenance reports. If we receive any report of something causing issues for us here in the IT department, we look into the issue, but I do not remember the last time we had any alerts.

The pricing of Trend Micro Apex One was reasonable. There is a license required to use the solution and we have upgraded the solution to include some additional features, such as XDR.

When evaluating Trend Micro Apex One and Microsoft Defender I didn't find any major differences. The benefit of Microsoft Defender is it is well integrated with Azure, Intune, and other Microsoft solutions. Trend Micro is not as straightforward where everything is in place.

What other advice do I have?

I didn't have any hands-on experience with another system to compare the metrics too. However, I have found the solution to work well.

Trend Micro Apex One gives you a lot of features. You will make good use of it if you have somebody who can attend to the dashboards and do deep security scans. In larger organizations, you would have somebody dedicated and well-trained to oversee the solution. It is important and an advantage to have somebody well-trained and who can receive the value from the information they are able to provide. Otherwise, it will be similar to what we are doing. The solution is sitting on the endpoint, and we are happy that we are not being infected.

I rate Trend Micro Apex One an eight out of ten.

IT Manger at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
    A straightforward setup and good multi-layer protection with easy management capabilities
    • "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
    • "We have found that this product is a bit heavy on the endpoints."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an antivirus. It protects our organization.

What is most valuable?

As a specialist and price management console, it's easy to manage.

There is excellent multi-layer protection offered by the product. There are multiple layers of behavior monitoring, process monitoring, et cetera. The multi-layer aspect is actually one of the main reasons we chose this particular solution.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

We've found the stability to be very good.

What needs improvement?

We have found that this product is a bit heavy on the endpoints. This seems to be largely the fault of multiple processing on the identity side. If they could improve this identity protection on the endpoint so that it could take up fewer resources on the machines, it would be a marked improvement.

We have had one problem. When we go to use corporate licenses, we'd like to have the ability to distribute them all over the globe. However, they work under a SAS model, and not all entities can use the SAS model. They are bound by one license key with one setup. If they had three to five SAS models linked to one key, it would be much better.

I've been using the solution for the past five years now. It's been a while.

The stability is very good. Basically, it's the latest version of OfficeScan. There aren't too many differences and the stability in both cases was good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's quite reliable.

In terms of scalability, we've discovered that it is easy to scale. You basically just need to add the licenses and the console. If a company needs to expand the solution, it won't have any issues.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was easy and very straightforward. We recently migrated from OfficeScan to Apex One, and it was a very simple process overall.

The pricing, as compared to other options, is a bit higher. However, they're offering with single license multiple applications. With this product, you get things like application control, vulnerability control, et cetera. They have added more benefits. You may pay more, however, you also get more. Altogether, it's a rather reasonable offer.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the organization.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's okay. We've mostly been happy with it.

This product basically a traditional antivirus system. Similar to McAfee and Symantec, Trend Micro, is based on traditional antiviruses. They have made improvements on some things, however, at the enterprise level, we know that these days we need a second layer of protection, specifically for malware. That is why we are using two solutions - Trend Micro plus Cisco AMP. AMP is specific to malware protection. Trend Micro handles the traditional antivirus side. It's very difficult to trust just one solution these days. We need to make sure we cover all the protection layers.

Trend Micro claims that basically, Apex One is an enterprise level solution. We have been using last five years, and, so far, we haven't experienced any problems. Therefore, it's safe to say that we can recommend a product like this to other mid-level or small enterprises.

General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Offers good protection, and has a wide variety of features
    • "They have a wide range of products, including a couple for virtual patching, which is very important."
    • "I would like to see the initial setup simplified to make it less complicated, and the price reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We use Trend Micro Apex One for endpoint scanning.

What is most valuable?

They have a wide range of products, including a couple for virtual patching, which is very important. They also have, cloud-based sandboxing options.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the initial setup simplified to make it less complicated, and the price reduced.

Normally, I've seen the price of any antivirus for the first year where they will give you a free price comparison and a discount of 30%, 40%, but the second year, after renewal, they'll give you the normal standard list price.

I have been working with Trend Micro Apex One for more than three years.

We work with on-premises solutions. There is no option for cloud solutions by default.

We are using the latest version.

Trend Micro Apex One is very stable.

I have a very small network of 152, and I expect it to be scalable. People are using it at 3,000. You go as you need more.

We had 140 to 170 or 200 users, but have had to cut back due to the pandemic. It's now between 140 and 150.

We intend to increase our usage by another ten or fifteen percent in the future.

There will always be problems to fix, but once it's stable, it's stable. For the first three months, there is always the fixing of problems and getting updates.

I am also working with Symantec Endpoint Security. I started using Trend Micro Apex One because Symantec was acquired by another company, and I was looking for a change.

It is not as simple as it appears, but there are numerous options available. They include mobile security, as well as many other features. So you'll need some tricky options such as the use of servers and other such things. It isn't as straightforward as Symantec.

When I use Symantec, it's simple, but Trend Micro has a lot of features, such as DLP, security, cloud sandboxing, and more. It requires the use of three or four servers.

The initial setup and consult will take one or two days, but the deployment for the branches will take five to seven days. In total it can take up to 20 days to move the package.

We have a technical team of two administrators who maintain this solution,

We completed the implementation ourselves.

The price is very high in comparison to EDR, XDR, and MDR. The pricing is quite high.

It is possible that it is more expensive because they only provide the solution on-premises.

Licensing fees can be paid yearly or with an option for three years.

We have a three-year perpetual license that is set to expire in May. We are considering renewing the license or exploring other market options.

My three-year contract expires in May, and I am just looking into other endpoint and EDR solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Trend Micro Apex One an eight out of ten.

Download our free Trend Micro Apex One Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022