IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Toad for Oracle OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Toad for Oracle is #11 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools. PeerSpot users give Toad for Oracle an average rating of 10 out of 10. Toad for Oracle is most commonly compared to Oracle Enterprise Manager: Toad for Oracle vs Oracle Enterprise Manager. Toad for Oracle is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 67% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Toad for Oracle?

With Toad for Oracle, you'll reduce costs and risks by easily ensuring the health and performance of your Oracle Cloud Platform and on-premises databases. ... On the operations side, you can automate administration tasks and proactively manage your databases while embracing performance optimization and risk mitigation.

Toad for Oracle Customers
intel, ebay, uber, mars, microsoft
Toad for Oracle Video

Toad for Oracle Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Toad for Oracle pricing:
"My advice is to try to use the three-year maintenance agreement if possible."

Toad for Oracle Reviews

Bryan Wrench - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
User
Great PL/SQL debugger and "Make Code" feature with technical support that goes above and beyond
  • "A quite simple feature that I have not encountered elsewhere is the "Make Code" feature. I can easily export a complex SQL statement to a programming language. This is a great timesaver as I do not have to type in all of the escape/concatenation characters just to create a SQL statement in C# or C++."
  • "Once in a while, I may encounter a memory exception and have to abort the application. On a few occasions, the file that stores the saved connections for the New Connection window will become corrupt and I will lose all of my saved connections. I am not sure if that is a Windows or TOAD issue, but it has happened to all of my developers at some point or another."

What is our primary use case?

I use TOAD for all Oracle database management and development. I've also purchased it for our developers. The resource time I save by purchasing TOAD for my developers easily offsets the cost. We are a smaller software company and maintain an Oracle database to test new releases. We do database administration, design, and development. Database management includes tablespaces, data files, rebuilding indexes, tables, analyzing tables, and schema comparison. PL/SQL development includes creating and maintaining packages. SQL includes data queries and editing.

How has it helped my organization?

TOAD saves many hours of work by simplifying the redundant maintenance tasks for databases. We attempted to use SQL Developer a few times, but It is not as user-friendly. It seems TOAD was created to make an Oracle Developer's/Admin's life as easy as possible. Specifically, it helps with:  Schema comparison and promotion scripts Rebuilding table scripts (very helpful when an existing table has been altered and needs promoting) Debugging/Analyzing connected sessions and current SQL It has a Schema Browser that provides all needed data in a clear and accessible way. This helps our software engineers who are not Oracle experts with the dictionary tables

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is honestly that so many features are packed into a single software package. TOAD is one of only a few applications that I have not had to complement with additional software or "add-ons". The PL/SQL debugger is fantastic and has been a huge time-saver. A quite simple feature that I have not encountered elsewhere is the "Make Code" feature. I can easily export a complex SQL statement to a programming language. This is a great timesaver as I do not have to type in all of the escape/concatenation characters just to create a SQL statement in C# or C++. This is not a "software" feature, however, I have contacted Quest when a version had a very specific bug that was affecting my team. They scheduled a meeting to review the issue pretty quickly and I spoke to several knowledgeable people. They had already implemented a fix, communicated when the release would be available, and provided me with a beta version to hold me over until the official release. The level of service they provided was astounding.

What needs improvement?

I honestly cannot think of any at the moment. I am sure there are some, however, I use it every day. Any issues tend to be few and far between. Once in a while, I may encounter a memory exception and have to abort the application. On a few occasions, the file that stores the saved connections for the New Connection window will become corrupt and I will lose all of my saved connections. I am not sure if that is a Windows or TOAD issue, but it has happened to all of my developers at some point or another. The incident rate is only about once every 6 months, so that makes it more palatable.
Database Development and Management
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Oracle, DbVis Software and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: June 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for 16 years.

The solution has been very stable.  The stability issues I have encountered have been memory exceptions which can cause the application to crash. Since I use the application intensely on a daily basis, these do not occur with enough frequency to cause disruption. The memory exceptions have reduced in likelihood with each new release. If I had to put a "rough" number I would say once every month or so.

The solution seems easily scalable. The developers that use it have no issues keeping new versions updated.

The one time I used the customer service, it was excellent. Everyone I spoke with was very knowledgeable and customer-focused. I shared that experience many times afterward because I was so impressed that there are still companies with that level of support.

I have tried SQL Developer but it was missing several "of the nice to haves" that made TOAD very convenient.

The setup was easy. I downloaded TOAD and an Oracle Client.

We handled the deployment in-house.

I do not have specific numbers, but the ROI has been positive. I want my developers to focus on logic and not on the nuances and minutia of Oracle.

If you or your team regularly develops within Oracle, the convenience and time-saving are well worth the cost. On the surface, the initial cost may seem steep. However, my thoughts are that: The renewal rate is reasonable so look at the multi-year cost.  If a developer saves 20 hours annually by utilizing TOAD's functionality, the software has easily paid for itself just in saved productivity alone.

No, I did not evaluate anything else prior to using TOAD.

reviewer1458423 - PeerSpot reviewer
Self Employed, Software Developer, Energy Expert at My Power Station Technology (Pty) Ltd
Good support, easy to use with a visually appealing design, and it is straightforward to set up
  • "I find Toad easy to use and I love the Workspace feature, which allows me to set up projects so that I can open SQL files applicable to what I am working on at any particular time."
  • "There should also be a better "cancel query" option as sometimes one cancels a query, but then it still might run for a long time, and then one has to crash Toad in order to cancel the query."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is Oracle software development. I use Packages, Stored Procedures, Triggers, DDL, and DML. I also use it for viewing schemas, viewing sessions, table spaces, etc.

I work in Oracle versions from 12c to 19c and a single version of Toad allows me to do this. I also work in Oracle htp.p (HTML, CSS, JavaScript from inside the database) and also Oracle Apex, and I can do this with Toad too.

I work on multiple VMs and multiple clients and I can load a 64-bit Toad in one environment and a 32-bit Toad in another environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Toad is the one tool that I use almost every single day of my life. Besides Operating Systems. email applications, office tools, mind mapping, and the like.

Toad is my choice programming environment for writing Oracle applications which live in the backend.

I find Toad easy to use and I love the Workspace feature, which allows me to set up projects so that I can open SQL files applicable to what I am working on at any particular time. I've also used the debugger and optimizing tools from time to time.

I like that Toad saves me time in my work and recently I've started using the Reporting feature. It is also easy to add comments to tables and columns.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to look at the database visually, almost graphically.

Some other features that I like are:

• The ability to add ROWID to queries to allow quick updates without having to write SQL.
  • Visually appealing design.
  • Ability to view users and tasks and with DBA permission to be able to terminate sessions if required.

I also like that Toad has a one-year and a three-year maintenance license plan and upgrading for three years at a time allows one to save considerably on the license. Normally, I use the three-year option and I did this year, but last year I had a financial challenge and so only used the one-year upgrade option.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes if there's a crash, there are unsaved files that need to be recovered. Although this list is shown when you restart, I find this difficult to use.

After all these years of downloading the product, I still find the product download form a bit challenging and one needs to know to click on the Download Now checkbox so that one can download without choosing manuals, etc. I think that this form should be redesigned.

As with so many other tools and suppliers, I believe that long term users should get better maintenance pricing.

I have been using Toad for Oracle for the last 10 years.

It is very stable and fails (crashes) very seldomly. The main problem is when one wants to cancel a long-running query.

One can work with any sized database with this tool.

I only really contact my supplier when i need to upgrade. Support is good.

I started using Oracle in 1993. I can't remember what tools I used before I started using Toad.

I have colleagues who use other tools and I've looked at them. They load slowly, crash regularly, and don't have as nice a user interface as Toad. I find myself wasting time when I use other tools.

The initial setup is straightforward. Although during the last upgrade, I chose the Maintenance upgrade option instead of the full release, and the maintenance upgrade option didn't work for me.

In-house install, by me.

I don't have a quantitative measurement for this but I do know that Toad saves me time. Compared with other modern products, it allows me to do many functions in a single tool.

My advice is to try to use the three-year maintenance agreement if possible.

Per-user licensing allows me to use Toad in multiple places as long as I don't work on two at the same time

I have evaluated SQL Developer.

I've looked at this since starting to use Toad, especially last year during challenging financial times.

Database Development and Management
June 2022
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jarle Vestrheim - PeerSpot reviewer
Billing Consultant at Hoberg & Vestrheim
The fashion browser and the Schema browser are valuable features, it is a complete solution
  • "The most valuable feature of Toad for Oracle is the fashion browser and the Schema browser. It is very complete."
  • "Toad for Oracle could improve code completion, it is very slow."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is deployed on public cloud and on premises. One on each developer's computer.

We use Toad for Oracle mainly to create procedures in the database, and to make an API. We have three people in our IT department using the solution in our company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Toad for Oracle is the session browser and the Schema browser. It is very complete. There is also good tools for database management.

What needs improvement?

Toad for Oracle could improve code completion, it is very slow. When you type and code completion is on, you'll have to wait for up to 10 seconds while Toad looks in the database to list suggestions for table and field names.

I have been using Toad for Oracle for 10 years.

The solution is scalable.

Toad for Oracle crashes a couple of times per month.

I would rate technical support a 5 out of 5.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We use both Toad for Oracle and DataGrip. Toad for Oracle's code completion is very slow when compared to DataGrip.

The initial setup of this solution is very easy. Basically, it is an install and forget solution.

We deployed in-house, it takes only five or ten minutes to deploy.

Very good, we are a consultancy and it does not take many hours to pay for the annual fee.

Our company pays licensing fees. It is not a cheap solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is easy. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.

Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Oracle, DbVis Software, and more!
Updated: June 2022