Toad for Oracle OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Toad for Oracle is the #9 ranked solution in top Database Development and Management tools. PeerSpot users give Toad for Oracle an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Toad for Oracle is most commonly compared to Toad Edge: Toad for Oracle vs Toad Edge. Toad for Oracle is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 19% of all views.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Toad for Oracle?

With Toad for Oracle, you'll reduce costs and risks by easily ensuring the health and performance of your Oracle Cloud Platform and on-premises databases. ... On the operations side, you can automate administration tasks and proactively manage your databases while embracing performance optimization and risk mitigation.

Toad for Oracle Customers
intel, ebay, uber, mars, microsoft
Toad for Oracle Video

Toad for Oracle Reviews

Bryan Wrench - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
User
Great PL/SQL debugger and "Make Code" feature with technical support that goes above and beyond
  • "A quite simple feature that I have not encountered elsewhere is the "Make Code" feature. I can easily export a complex SQL statement to a programming language. This is a great timesaver as I do not have to type in all of the escape/concatenation characters just to create a SQL statement in C# or C++."
  • "Once in a while, I may encounter a memory exception and have to abort the application. On a few occasions, the file that stores the saved connections for the New Connection window will become corrupt and I will lose all of my saved connections. I am not sure if that is a Windows or TOAD issue, but it has happened to all of my developers at some point or another."

What is our primary use case?

I use TOAD for all Oracle database management and development. I've also purchased it for our developers. The resource time I save by purchasing TOAD for my developers easily offsets the cost.

We are a smaller software company and maintain an Oracle database to test new releases. We do database administration, design, and development.

Database management includes tablespaces, data files, rebuilding indexes, tables, analyzing tables, and schema comparison.

PL/SQL development includes creating and maintaining packages.

SQL includes data queries and editing.

How has it helped my organization?

TOAD saves many hours of work by simplifying the redundant maintenance tasks for databases. We attempted to use SQL Developer a few times, but It is not as user-friendly. It seems TOAD was created to make an Oracle Developer's/Admin's life as easy as possible.

Specifically, it helps with:

• Schema comparison and promotion scripts
  • Rebuilding table scripts (very helpful when an existing table has been altered and needs promoting)
  • Debugging/Analyzing connected sessions and current SQL

It has a Schema Browser that provides all needed data in a clear and accessible way. This helps our software engineers who are not Oracle experts with the dictionary tables

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is honestly that so many features are packed into a single software package. TOAD is one of only a few applications that I have not had to complement with additional software or "add-ons".

The PL/SQL debugger is fantastic and has been a huge time-saver.

This is not a "software" feature, however, I have contacted Quest when a version had a very specific bug that was affecting my team. They scheduled a meeting to review the issue pretty quickly and I spoke to several knowledgeable people. They had already implemented a fix, communicated when the release would be available, and provided me with a beta version to hold me over until the official release. The level of service they provided was astounding.

What needs improvement?

I honestly cannot think of any at the moment. I am sure there are some, however, I use it every day. Any issues tend to be few and far between. Once in a while, I may encounter a memory exception and have to abort the application. On a few occasions, the file that stores the saved connections for the New Connection window will become corrupt and I will lose all of my saved connections. I am not sure if that is a Windows or TOAD issue, but it has happened to all of my developers at some point or another. The incident rate is only about once every 6 months, so that makes it more palatable.

Database Development and Management
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Oracle, IDERA and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: November 2022.
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for 16 years.

The solution has been very stable.

The stability issues I have encountered have been memory exceptions which can cause the application to crash. Since I use the application intensely on a daily basis, these do not occur with enough frequency to cause disruption. The memory exceptions have reduced in likelihood with each new release. If I had to put a "rough" number I would say once every month or so.

The solution seems easily scalable. The developers that use it have no issues keeping new versions updated.

The one time I used the customer service, it was excellent. Everyone I spoke with was very knowledgeable and customer-focused. I shared that experience many times afterward because I was so impressed that there are still companies with that level of support.

I have tried SQL Developer but it was missing several "of the nice to haves" that made TOAD very convenient.

The setup was easy. I downloaded TOAD and an Oracle Client.

We handled the deployment in-house.

I do not have specific numbers, but the ROI has been positive. I want my developers to focus on logic and not on the nuances and minutia of Oracle.

If you or your team regularly develops within Oracle, the convenience and time-saving are well worth the cost. On the surface, the initial cost may seem steep. However, my thoughts are that:

1. The renewal rate is reasonable so look at the multi-year cost.
  2. If a developer saves 20 hours annually by utilizing TOAD's functionality, the software has easily paid for itself just in saved productivity alone.

No, I did not evaluate anything else prior to using TOAD.

Data Warehouse Analyst at Qatar Airways
Is stable and has no issues with regard to scalability
  • "I haven't seen any issues with scalability. We have about 1000 people on our IT team who use the solution."
  • "Improvement wise, for the user it should show the minimum features on the screen and not all the features. Toad has a lot of features, but most users will use only 5 or 10 based on their role. Nobody needs all the features, and they should provide the option to choose only the required features. Only minimum requirements should be enabled by default. When all the features are shown, the performance is not good; it loads slowly and has hundreds of popups and unnecessary questions."

What needs improvement?

Improvement wise, for the user it should show the minimum features on the screen and not all the features. Toad has a lot of features, but most users will use only 5 or 10 based on their role. Nobody needs all the features, and they should provide the option to choose only the required features. Only minimum requirements should be enabled by default. When all the features are shown, the performance is not good; it loads slowly and has hundreds of popups and unnecessary questions.

If they could provide some basic instructions performance wise and list which settings will achieve the best performance or make it more user friendly, then it would help new users and old users alike.

I've been working for more than 10 to 15 years with this solution. We use it individually on our laptops.

It is stable. However, if you ignore the initial configurations you may encounter problems. That is, if you don't do the Toad options, it will try to connect to a Quest site every time you open it.

Implementation is okay, but we continue to encounter problems with Toad for Oracle. When we try to download it, it gives us a lot of other options and loads so many other things that make our client's software heavier.

What other advice do I have?

If you're using the latest version, you should know how to migrate your existing scripts. You should do some research on how to copy your script or backup and look for store options, default options, and settings. You would need to find out how to automatically push whatever you have done in the old version to the new tool. You may need to do it manually. Otherwise, Toad will crash.

The product is good, but it comes with a lot of default settings that you may not need and may slow you down. Because of this, I would rate Toad at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Database Development and Management
November 2022
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jarle Vestrheim - PeerSpot reviewer
Billing Consultant at Hoberg & Vestrheim
The fashion browser and the Schema browser are valuable features, it is a complete solution
  • "The most valuable feature of Toad for Oracle is the fashion browser and the Schema browser. It is very complete."
  • "Toad for Oracle could improve code completion, it is very slow."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is deployed on public cloud and on premises. One on each developer's computer.

We use Toad for Oracle mainly to create procedures in the database, and to make an API. We have three people in our IT department using the solution in our company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Toad for Oracle is the session browser and the Schema browser. It is very complete. There is also good tools for database management.

What needs improvement?

Toad for Oracle could improve code completion, it is very slow. When you type and code completion is on, you'll have to wait for up to 10 seconds while Toad looks in the database to list suggestions for table and field names.

I have been using Toad for Oracle for 10 years.

The solution is scalable.

Toad for Oracle crashes a couple of times per month.

I would rate technical support a 5 out of 5.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We use both Toad for Oracle and DataGrip. Toad for Oracle's code completion is very slow when compared to DataGrip.

The initial setup of this solution is very easy. Basically, it is an install and forget solution.

We deployed in-house, it takes only five or ten minutes to deploy.

Very good, we are a consultancy and it does not take many hours to pay for the annual fee.

Our company pays licensing fees. It is not a cheap solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is easy. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.

Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Quest Software, Oracle, IDERA, and more!
Updated: November 2022