TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM is the #25 ranked solution in BPM Software. PeerSpot users give TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM an average rating of 7.0 out of 10. TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM is most commonly compared to Camunda Platform: TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM vs Camunda Platform. TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 71% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 21% of all views.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM?
TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM is used to develop, deploy, execute and manage Business Process Management centric applications. Use TIBCO Business Studio BPM Edition in conjunction with ActiveMatrix BPM to model business processes. It helps to encompass applications that primarily automate both: business processes (sequences of tasks) to be executed by human users, and technical processes (the flow of data) to be executed by enterprise applications.
TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM Customers

ADIS, Citi, Bank of Montreal, First Citizens Bank

TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM Video

Archived TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM Reviews (more than two years old)

Technical Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Highly stable in production and easy to use for testing and deployment
  • "It is the best product because of its stability. ActiveMatrix 5.x is highly stable in production, and the downtime is very low. I have worked on a lot of service projects, and the engine is very stable, robust, and scalable. The development and change requests can be pushed quickly, and the mapper activity and SSLT kind of features are also good. It is easy to do changes, testing, and deployment. Its deployment is very easy, and we can automate a lot of scripts for our on-premises solution. I work for an investment bank, and we have automated a lot of processes for our customers. Previously, we used to develop scripts and tools. With version 6.x, everything is moved to Maven and other things. Environment handling is done mostly through DevOps tools. As compared to Mulesoft, the deployment and configuration are very easy in TIBCO."
  • "ActiveMatrix is in the middle field. MuleDB is more on the engineering side with Java and other things. SnapLogic is there are on the higher side with very low coding. TIBCO stays in the middle like IBM or Oracle. TIBCO can move towards IBM's way of doing. IBM has a big market and many varieties of products and good integration, which TIBCO doesn't have. It can have better integration. TIBCO's transition to the cloud is a little slow. As compared to Dell, Boomi, and Mulesoft. TIBCO took the steps a little later. TIBCO's ID was far better and easier to work with previously. TIBCO's 5.x ID was very good, and the development environment and the transition were easy. Version 6.5 onwards, it is a stable product, but it would be good if they can do something similar to version 5.4 with version 6. They should concentrate on this API market. It will give them the strength and the ability to grab the market back."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for on-premises and cloud integrations. It has a number of products for on-premises integration.

What is most valuable?

It is the best product because of its stability. ActiveMatrix 5.x is highly stable in production, and the downtime is very low. I have worked on a lot of service projects, and the engine is very stable, robust, and scalable. The development and change requests can be pushed quickly, and the mapper activity and SSLT kind of features are also good. It is easy to do changes, testing, and deployment.

Its deployment is very easy, and we can automate a lot of scripts for our on-premises solution. I work for an investment bank, and we have automated a lot of processes for our customers. Previously, we used to develop scripts and tools. With version 6.x, everything is moved to Maven and other things. Environment handling is done mostly through DevOps tools. As compared to Mulesoft, the deployment and configuration are very easy in TIBCO.

What needs improvement?

ActiveMatrix is in the middle field. MuleDB is more on the engineering side with Java and other things. SnapLogic is there are on the higher side with very low coding. TIBCO stays in the middle like IBM or Oracle. TIBCO can move towards IBM's way of doing. IBM has a big market and many varieties of products and good integration, which TIBCO doesn't have. It can have better integration.

TIBCO's transition to the cloud is a little slow. As compared to Dell, Boomi, and Mulesoft. TIBCO took the steps a little later.

TIBCO's ID was far better and easier to work with previously. TIBCO's 5.x ID was very good, and the development environment and the transition were easy. Version 6.5 onwards, it is a stable product, but it would be good if they can do something similar to version 5.4 with version 6. They should concentrate on this API market. It will give them the strength and the ability to grab the market back.

I have been using ActiveMatrix since 2006.

Business Process Management (BPM)
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, Camunda, Apache and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is very stable. It has very low downtime.

It is highly scalable on-premises. In my project, we have about 30 users. For the maintenance, we have about four or five people.

Fortunately, we have employees who are familiar with the product. It is not open source. Therefore, when you get a bug, you don't get much information on the internet to troubleshoot problems, like in Java, Mulesoft.

Its deployment is very easy. It takes one to two hours for deploying the product. You only need to know the order. The configuration environment and everything else is very easy.

There are some discussions about perpetual licenses and conversions, but I'm not much familiar with them.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a highly stable, robust, scalable solution.

I would rate TIBCO ActiveMatrix BPM an eight out of ten.

Senior Consultant at Provincia
An easy to use solution with a straightforward setup that occasionally lacks stability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for internal governance.

What is most valuable?

The customization is the most valuable feature. The BPM is very good.

The interface is very user-friendly. I like that it's an end-to-end product and complete solution.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to be able to see into the development area of this product, and not just the administration. I'd like to see some of the development features.

The solution could offer better integration capabilities.

I've been using this solution for three years.

In general, the solution is stable, but we have had to deal with some instability occasionally.

The scalability of the solution is limited.

Their technical support is good. I've had to reach out a few times when I couldn't resolve something myself, and they helped.

I didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment took about four hours. About seven people currently work with the solution.

I implemented the solution myself.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten. Sometimes it's not stable, but it is a complete solution. It takes time for development. An hour for development, is a long time, for example, in my opinion. It is easy to use but has many black box complaints. You have to write to support because of these complications.

Business Process Management (BPM)
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RobertoMessora - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Business Integration and Architecture at Jakala
Helped us solve interfacing issues between platforms but the connectivity is poor
  • "For specific situations this can be a good solution and a simplified interface to work with."
  • "The product is missing some means of addressing more complex BPM constructs and should interface with more platforms easily."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to build BPM workflows for users.

How has it helped my organization?

The TIBCO product helped us solve an interfacing issue between platforms that may have been more difficult with other products.

What is most valuable?

My favorite feature of the solution is not actually a feature specifically for the BPM ActiveMatrix. It's a general feature used for the entire platform. It is the integration through the TCI which we needed. Because we are using both the BPM and the TCI, we need the proper integration platform. The BPM itself is average from the point of view of the features of a program. The real advantage is that the three products are tightly integrated with one another and the solution, for us, works well.

What needs improvement?

The BPM setup could offer more options. The connectivity right now is poor because not a lot of protocols are supported. So, we had some trouble setting up a proper BPM connection to access cloud data.

BPM ActiveMatrix integrates with TCI and we are using both, so from an integration standpoint, it ended up being a good solution for us. The user interface for the BPM is quite average. It's a drag-and-drop interface so you can very quickly build workflows for users. But the functionality is a bit average in that you only have drag-and-drop and no real ability to customize for more difficult tasks.

The ability to write code would help. It's okay in many cases to have something that is drag and drop because it is simple. I have a data model and I can connect the data model to our data source. I build my user interfaces in a drag and drop way, so it's quite simple. It's also simple to deliver to mobile tablets and so on. But sometimes things are not so simple and you need to write some code to make some specific adjustments not covered by the drag and drop components. In that case, we are forced to use the TCI and there are many more steps to transform source data into data delivered by the interface. So, if you can code directly in the BPM, some things that are a little bit more complex would be possible. That would make it a better tool.

We have been using the product for one year and a half.

The application itself is quite stable. They continue to improve in that way. Every six months or every quarter the company is pushing out new updates. It's a cloud solution so it's continuing to evolve. From the reliability point of view, it's quite stable. We didn't have any issues with scalability except the decisions to scale intelligently.

Scaling is just a matter of clicking on the number of instances for a deployed application and changing it. It's quite simple. The problem obviously is how many licenses you actually need. If you have, for example, 50 or 60 licenses, you have to be very careful because every time you scale it counts as an additional application. If you don't have people using the licenses, you are spending more for nothing. You need to deal with your licenses intelligently. If you pay more, you can have more space for more users. If your licenses are not being used, it was not worth paying more.

I'm not directly involved with the technical support because there is another guy here in the company that is in charge of this. So, I cannot say anything definitive about support. We had one issue with the BPM. I know that we contacted the support. In that case, it was because all of the protocol we wanted to use wasn't supported. They just couldn't help us at the time because it was something not supported by the platform. They gave an answer. It wasn't the one we wanted. Maybe they will do more development.

There is no initial setup but this is because we are using the cloud version.

When you buy the license for the cloud version, you have full access to the website. So the platform is ready to use as soon as you make a contract to use it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product a seven out of ten. We are just at the beginning of the cloud era for the BPM. This is the same for other vendors like Azure with PowerApps and so on. There will be a lot of room for improvement. But they are still useful products for production. I rate it a seven. It is good, but not so good that it might not be better in the future.

The most important thing is to understand that using the cloud platform is completely different from the on-premise installation. You need to really understand your business needs because it's a completely different environment. It's very useful for filling gaps in your business processes. Different solutions are available and it is flexible usually on demand. If you are using Salesforce or a CRM and you should be using other cloud solutions in your business processes, it's okay to have a cloud solution. But if you're a company that relies on on-premise systems, maybe the cloud solution is not the best solution because of how you usually go about your business. So, maybe you need to choose the on-premise solution.

It's very important to define which is the best solution for you by understanding the advantages and disadvantages and not just follow the suggestions by the vendors. TIBCO is trying to push the cloud solution because all the competitors are going to the cloud. But you really need to understand what are your business needs and use it if it is the best solution for you.

Download our free Business Process Management (BPM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, Camunda, Apache, and more!
Updated: November 2022