Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Teradata OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Teradata is #3 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools and #5 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give Teradata an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Teradata is most commonly compared to Snowflake: Teradata vs Snowflake. Teradata is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Teradata Buyer's Guide

Download the Teradata Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Teradata?

Teradata's portfolio of big data analytic solutions, integrated marketing applications, and services help organizations gain a sustainable competitive advantage with data.

Teradata Customers
Netflix
Teradata Video

Archived Teradata Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user1210803 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It is stable but it should be more cloud-friendly and scalability is poor
  • "It is a stable program."
  • "An additional feature I would you like to see included in the next release, is that it needs to be more cloud-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are only consultants, so we don't use the program ourselves.

What is most valuable?

Our customers are very impressed by Teradata's speed, because it's massively parallel processed. So you can get a great volume of data through quickly.

What needs improvement?

What really needs to improve, is their general cloud services. That is their biggest downfall at the moment.

Teradata is a really stable program.

Teradata
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Teradata. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The scalability of Teradata is extremely poor, unfortunately.

Because we are only consultants, we never use the technical support. Only our clients do.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I will rate Teradata a seven. An additional feature I would like to see included in the next release is that it needs to be more cloud-friendly. That's the one thing they're going to lose customers over, so that needs to improve. I know they're working on it, but they need to do it quicker.

Gouri Mishra - PeerSpot reviewer
Teradata FSLDM Consultant at TIK IT Solutions
Improves processing speed and enhances data protection

What is our primary use case?

We implement Teradata in financial sectors, which include banks in India and Canada.

How has it helped my organization?

Technically, it has made data processing much faster than other SMP databases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the Shared-nothing architecture and data protection functionality.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs to be improved.

The price needs to be more competitive as Hadoop, Redshift, Snowflake, etc are constantly making way into EDW space.

Eleven years.
Teradata
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Auditor Federal de Finanças e Controle at CGU
Scalable solution that takes advantage of massive parallel processing

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is the Transparency Portal of the Brazilian Government. Teradata provides the database infrastructure for this analytical site that is able to create an online BI experience that provides details on how the Brazilian government spends public money.

How has it helped my organization?

Teradata has allowed us to provide an online BI solution that no other player was able to do.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we find most valuable is its ability to perform Massive Parallel Processing.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improved Knowledge Base on the web.

Three to five years.

There are two million queries per day and an average of eight hundred concurrent users during working hours.

Associate Consultant at BT5 Business & Technology 5 Consulting
It handles large amounts of information with a linear performance increase

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for retail and customer behavior modeling. We handle a billion records from different sources to create a consolidated feed for KXEN analysis and customer behavior modeling.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed our organization, a retail company, to focus on timely marketing campaigns for the proper customers.

What is most valuable?

It handles large amounts of information with a linear performance increase, in relation to a HW investment. It has a solid set of tools and consulting services.

What needs improvement?

• A more transparent integration with Aster solutions.
  • An even deeper focus in data sciences.
  • A teaching web site with more training on third-party tools used for BI (data sciences).

it_user845499 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager Performance Systems at Telstra
User
Massive parallel processing ability to do large amounts of concurrent querying

What is our primary use case?

We use it for enterprise data warehouse (EDW) with on-premise hardware. The company uses EDW for most MIS functions.

How has it helped my organization?

It has massive parallel processing ability to do large amounts of concurrent querying. It has given our business the ability to gain insights into the data and create data labs for analysis and PoCs.

What is most valuable?

Speed of complex queries and the ability to schedule give business users time to analyse data rather than waiting for queries to run.

What needs improvement?

We are using an older version at the moment. We are looking for a more flexible cost model for the next version that we use, whether it be cloud or on-premise.

TechMgr3486 - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Manager at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
High transaction processes, as well as the reporting system, need improvement
    • "We tried to use case Teradata for a data warehouse system, but we had some problems in relation to the Teradata system, CDC tools, and source databases. We were unable to transfer data from HPE Integrity mainframe to Teradata."
    • "There is a need to improve performance in high transaction processes, as well as the reporting system."

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

It didn't improve the way our organization functions.

What is most valuable?

None.

Less than one year.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

I would rate tech support at eight out of 10.

Yes, we already had SAP IQ and were using it. We didn’t switch. We tried but it failed.

Very complex.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Teradata two out of 10. At first, support was very good, but during and after they ended their operation in Turkey it was very bad. We had some agreements and they gave us some promises but...

We bought it three years ago but we couldn't use it in production. We have SAP IQ data warehouse now and I don't have a major problem. I would recommend SAP IQ for data warehouse.

If you are going to buy Teradata, you have to make a very solid contract with them.

Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Cuts time to process huge amounts of data with efficient analytical queries
    • "Cuts time to process huge amounts of data with efficient analytical queries."
    • "A conventional and easily defined way to build a data warehouse or a layer of data marts."
    • "Teradata can be easily used in ETL mode transformations, so there is no need for expensive and inconvenient ETL tools"
    • "Query language and its functionality are rather limited, compared to Oracle or even SQL Server. However, it is possible to perform any kind of logic in it (though some workarounds may be required)."
    • "Data ingestion is done via external utilities and not by the query language itself. It would be more convenient to have that functionality within its SQL dialect."

What is our primary use case?

As a contractor for various companies working in various industries, we usually find Teradata in financial organizations. It is often being used for relational data storage for huge data warehouses (usually built on Inmon principles) or as storage for building analytical data marts. Teradata is positioned as a high-performance solution for heavy analytical queries and, in fact, it is. Moreover, Teradata is typically supplied with the whole ecosystem of its tools (like Viewpoint), but I have not extensively used them.

How has it helped my organization?

• Cuts time to process huge amounts of data with analytical queries
    • A conventional and easily defined way to build a data warehouse or a layer of data marts
    • Better development time - Teradata can be easily used in ETL mode transformations, so there is no need for expensive and inconvenient ETL tools

What is most valuable?

Efficiency of running analytical queries. Teradata was mainly invented for that purpose and it really does it well. We were able to migrate the code from SAS analytical platforms to pure Teradata and got an order of magnitude of performance growth (taking into account that the hardware was similar).

Three to five years.

We have not experienced any stability issues.

No. Teradata is positioned as a rather scalable system, and we have not seen any issues with it.

I was not impressed by tech support. We made several requests regarding performance issues we had with our applications but did not get helpful answers.

It is hard to say what our clients had been using before. It is safe to say that this was their first option for analytical data warehouse implementation.

I cannot say for sure. We have not taken part in deployment activities. As it is an appliance, I expect it is a bit complex.

Price is quite high, so if it is really possible to use other solutions (e.g. you do not have strict requirements for performance and huge data volumes), it might be better to look at alternatives from the RDBMS world.

Usual alternatives in the same segment for our clients are Oracle Exadata, SAP HANA, and Hadoop.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it an eight out of 10. It is definitely the best RDBMS I have ever worked with, in the sense of building a data warehouse. It is fast, and easy to use in terms of writing queries. However, you have to understand the specifics of the data storage and its technical architecture, which is not typical for an RDBMS.

In terms of advice, I would suggest your provide training for your personnel, because it is rather important to understand the technical specifics of Teradata to create efficient solutions with it. Other RDBMS's usually requires knowledge  of generic theory, but that will not work with Teradata.

it_user142503 - PeerSpot reviewer
    SystemAnalyst
    Enables auto-partitioning and indexing, and resource allocation on the fly

What is our primary use case?

Business intelligence and data warehousing solutions for our client.

What is most valuable?

Auto-partitioning and indexing, and resource allocation on the fly.

What needs improvement?

Compatibility with more Big Data platforms.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Teradata at eight out of 10. It provides high performance.

Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    ​Building a data warehouse with it has helped a lot of our downstream applications to more easily access information
    • "It has reduced a lot of reworking on maintaining indexes, partitions, etc."
    • "​Building a data warehouse with Teradata has definitely helped a lot of our downstream applications to more easily access information."
    • "​Parallel processing features have helped to easily dump any size of data and retrieve data with great performance."
    • "It would help to make scaling easier with a reduced cost. ​"

What is our primary use case?

Building a single truth database (Enterprise Data Warehouse) where all the enterprise data is integrated at one place.

How has it helped my organization?

• Building a data warehouse with Teradata has definitely helped a lot of our downstream applications to more easily access information.
    • It has reduced a lot of reworking on maintaining indexes, partitions, etc. Due to its architecture, the focus has been shifted from not maintaining the database to how we can utilize the data/features.

What is most valuable?

Features like TPump were helpful for real-time data loads compatible with almost all other APIs/tools in our enterprise.

Inbuilt architecture reduces admins' efforts.

What needs improvement?

• Cost
    • Scalability

It would help to make scaling easier with a reduced cost.

Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    ​We enjoy the FastLoad, TPump, and MultiLoad features

What is our primary use case?

Its primary use is a superfast database.

How has it helped my organization?

Things have started moving faster in my company, such as data retrieval happens more quickly.

What is most valuable?

We really enjoy the FastLoad, TPump, and MultiLoad features.

What needs improvement?

I think the UI is not there yet. It could be improved by being more user-friendly.

It is faster than Oracle, and that is what we need.

Manager BI Development at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Performance when processing terabytes of data, and the scalability are key for us
    • "The key advantages are Performance when processing Terabytes of data and scalability."
    • "The following could be better: licensing, architecture openness, integration with other tools."

How has it helped my organization?

We have improved our daily/monthly reporting, campaign management, and behavior analysis.

What is most valuable?

Performance when processing terabytes of data.

What needs improvement?

• Licensing
    • Architecture openness
    • Integration with other tools

No stability issues.

Teradata's key strength is it's scalability.

Excellent. The support covers all aspects of hardware/software usage.

Oracle's performance in processing large amounts of data is very poor and we had to choose new technology.

Complex. The process requires multiple meetings and all teams working together.

Teradata is expensive but gives value for money, especially if you don't want to move your data to the cloud.

IBM, Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

If you have purchased the hardware/software, focus on architecture and the design of data layers.

it_user6057 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Java Developer at EPAM Systems at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Improved the performance of our ETL procedures and reporting
    • "Improved performance of ETL procedures, reporting."
    • "We did performance testing. We had a set of real life MicroStrategy reports. Our conditions were: Not allowed to redesign data model, not allowed to rewrite the queries, all queries should be generated by MicroStrategy, no aggregates. Teradata appeared to be way faster than a similarly configured (in terms of hardware) Oracle server."
    • "GUI of administrative tools is really outdated."

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Improved performance of ETL procedures, reporting. Decreased efforts, time, and number of staff supporting DWH.

What is most valuable?

• Scalability
    • Functionality
    • Performance

What needs improvement?

GUI of administrative tools is really outdated.

Nothing major, as far as I can recall.

No issues, scalability is a key feature of Teradata.

Support is on par with other vendors.

We used Oracle. Scalability and performance were the reasons we decided to try Teradata.

It was easy, the whole job was done by Teradata.

It is still a very expensive solution. While I very much like the pure technological supremacy of the software itself, I believe Teradata as a company needs to become more affordable. They are already losing the market to more flexible or cheaper competitors.

What other advice do I have?

Go with the Enterprise series and don't waste time and money on 25xx. Sooner or later you will migrate anyway, so don't even start with departmental solutions.

Santosh K Dash - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Lead at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    This solution has proven technology with significant advantages in some key areas, and greater depth and experience in providing industry knowledge and solutions.
    • "Teradata solutions help organizations reduce IT, operations, and maintenance costs; enhance on-time delivery of products and services."
    • "There is some improvement required on OLTP level and some analytical function is missing."

What is most valuable?

1. "Parallel Everything” design and smart Teradata Optimizer enables fast query execution across platforms.
    2. Fully parallel MPP “shared nothing” architecture scales linearly across data, users, and applications, providing consistent and predictable performance and growth.
    3. In-database data mining, virtual OLAP/cubes, geospatial and temporal analytics, custom and embedded services in an extensible open parallel framework, drive efficient and differentiated business insight.
    4. Workload management options by user, application, time of day, and CPU exceptions.
    5. Teradata Columnar/Teradata Temporal.
    6. Compress on cold and intelligent multi-temperature data management.
    7. Enhanced security.
    8. Customer driven innovation in application migration and temporal.
    9. Intelligent Scan Elimination.

How has it helped my organization?

Teradata has proven technology with significant advantages in some key areas, and greater depth and experience in providing industry knowledge and solutions.

What needs improvement?

I've used it for almost five years.

Did not encounter any issues during deployment.

No stability issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

They deliver the products to customers faster and with greater accuracy, i.e. within the agreed-upon due date .

Teradata already had a excellent customer satisfaction and the rating would be eight out of 10.

No other solution used.

Teradata setup is straightforward and simple.

The implementation done mainly with the in-house teams and also some support of vendor team.

100%.

Teradata is easy-to-use for data warehouse and BI application. It's extremely fast and also advanced analytics work can be done in a very flexible manner.

We also looked at Oracle Exadata.

What other advice do I have?

Teradata provides the analytical performance we need through its “parallel everything” design and industry leading optimizer to intelligently process all types of analytical and business intelligence queries.

it_user718455 - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Analyst / Data Engineer
    A Very Stable Product With A 99.9% Up Time
    • "It is a solid database a lot of different tools to move data."

What is most valuable?

It is a solid database a lot of different tools to move data.

How has it helped my organization?

Basically, Teradata has allowed the multiple businesses that I have consulted for to build and store their Data Warehouse related data efficiently. It also serves up the data quickly, if tuned and organized properly.

What needs improvement?

Cost, but Teradata is currently making improvements in this area.

Nine years.

Most of the organizations that I have consulted with have a 99.9% up time. The product is very stable.

Teradata is great as far as scalability once you have the product. You can move space on the fly. However, adding additional space once your disks are full in the past was expensive. I believe that they are addressing this issue by allowing you to buy only the hardware (disk space, node, amps) you need and not having to perform a total upgrade.

This depends on your service agreement. If you have tier 1 support, you are guaranteed to have full support at any moment.

I was not in a position as a consultant to make solution decisions.

I have never setup a Teradata box personally.

I am not in a position to share licensing costs.

I was not in a position as a consultant to make software solution decisions.

What other advice do I have?

Get educated about the product.

it_user723012 - PeerSpot reviewer
      it_user723012Department Head - BI Strategy and Data Governance -Strategy Direction at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees

Probably it's the case of Teradata in other regions here in the middle east they are very weak in services and try to over sale by imposing hardware swap instead supporting by adding disk or nodes. And the plan is now to swap to software based solution from another vendor based on commodity servers.

it_user692277 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Teradata Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      QueryGrid has multiple new features i.e data migration, extraction, tool loading, other utilities.​

What is most valuable?

Stats, QueryGrid Autostats with collecting stats automatically with the threshold values assigned, QueryGrid has multiple new features i.e data migration, extraction, tool loading, other utilities.

How has it helped my organization?

Business, Analytics, Hybrid.

What needs improvement?

It should be compatible and free on CLOUD/ AWS. Currently many DB's on AWS are free , Teradata is also on Amazon Web Services, but its charged and no documentation available to practice those LABS .

5 years.

8/10

Larger data warehouse / reporting and compatibility to analytics.

It was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It architects the databases well. Right from data modelling, the correction appliance to be chosen, the queries hitting the system, strategic, tactical etc, and that business knowledge should be easy to understand to end developers.

Professional Services Senior Consultant at a tech services company
      For large EDWH solutions, Teradata is the best.
      • "I found all parts --loading, transformation, processing & querying work in parallel, and end-to-end-- to be valuable."
      • "The cloud is the new challenge and the new opportunity."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Vodafone Spain tried to migrate a very populated data mart platform from Sybase IQ to Oracle. Unfortunately, they failed at this job. But more than 20 Sybase IQ database engines (with their respective licence, support costs, etc.) were successfully integrated into one single Teradata ecosystem.

What needs improvement?

The cloud is the new challenge and the new opportunity.

I have designed Teradata EDWH solutions for more than 16 years.

I did not encounter any issues at all.

I did not encounter any issues at all.

I would rate the level of technical support 10/10.

I have previous experience with Oracle/Informix/Sybase. For large EDWH solutions, Teradata is the best. Oracle solutions are multipurpose oriented and Td is EDWH oriented from the beginning.

The initial cost may seem high, but the TCO is low.

I mainly evaluated Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend starting with a clean and normalized business model that is capable of addressing business questions. Teratada (and its consultants) will do the rest.

Teradata DBA|Data Engineer Specialist|Hadoop Admin at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      The product is more helpful in historical analysis and customer behavior trends.

What is most valuable?

Good data warehousing solution. Workload Management (TASM) and Viewpoint.

How has it helped my organization?

As it is a data warehousing solution, many reporting sessions and users can run simultaneously without much performance degradation. The product is more helpful in historical analysis and customer behavior trends for the organisation.

What needs improvement?

Query Log maintenance should be free in all versions and should be made easy.

Seven years.

Regarding stability, Teradata comes bundled with hardware and software. There are fewer bugs in the software and most of the hardware failure mechanisms are addressed at the hardware level, so users experience less downtime.

Average.

Complex. My experience was the Teradata Solution Architects were less friendly and hid information and charged for simple things.

Pricing is bit on higher side. They have come up with a licencing model recently.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution.

Teradata Team Leader at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      With the current machine we are able to eliminate the use of OLAP cubes and allow customer queries to run directly on the Teradata machine.
      • "The two types of partitioning have been very significant for us - row and columnar partitioning."
      • "Data synchronization to the DR site."

How has it helped my organization?

We have now started running more profit generating activities on the Teradata machine, as opposed to just running reports, as in the past.

What needs improvement?

Data synchronization to the DR site.

My company’s management has to decide whether to invest in this area. This is more an internal issue at the company and definitely not a problem with the Teradata product. If we end up migrating to another platform, this will be the reason.

We have been using the solution for seven years.

Teradata is the most stable platform that I’ve worked with in my 20-year career.

Teradata’s scalability is excellent.

Teradata’s technical support is excellent. The support people are highly professional, and nice, to boot.

My previous background was with Oracle. I changed jobs and was asked to handle the Teradata team. It was a chance to learn something new and interesting.

Initial setup is quite straightforward, but previous experience with other databases tends to make it more difficult, because it takes a while until you get used to thinking in Teradata terms, rather than Oracle/SQL Server/PostgreSQL terms.

It’s a different animal. However, once you start thinking like a Teradata DBA, things are much easier.

Pricing can seem high, but when all factors are taken into account, the total costs are comparable to other databases as:

• Few DBA’s are required
      • Unplanned downtime is very rare.

By avoiding the Enterprise solutions, you can actually end up with a cheaper, yet much more powerful machine. We moved from an Enterprise platform, to non-Enterprise and ended up with a machine that was 20X more powerful. We got an amazing performance boost.

Every few years we examine the option of migrating to other platforms such as HPE Vertica, Oracle Exadata, or SQream.

In the past, it turned out that other solutions, in order to provide the full range of abilities that the Teradata platform provides plus the migration costs, would end up costing more than Teradata does.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have a good Teradata DBA to help implement the solution. A great Oracle DBA is not sufficient, because it takes a while to internalize that they are two different things.

Make sure that you have a good backup/recovery/DR plan, and that it is covered by the infrastructure you are purchasing. Otherwise, you might find yourself with a system that performs great, but has no good DR solution.

it_user685356 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Teradata Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      This solution stands on top for changing business needs and beats other competitors in benchmarking.

What is most valuable?

The optimizer is the most valuable feature for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We are into DWBI (Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence) and Teradata is number one in the market for these solutions. They stood on top even for changing business needs and beat other competitors in benchmarking.

What needs improvement?

The Query Response time needs improving.

We have been using the solution for 12 years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would rate the technical support at 9/10.

We never used a previous solution. In fact we migrated straight to Teradata.

There were a few ups and down with the initial setup but it's only one time during the initial phase.

Go for it.

It's already proven so we did not evaluate other industry solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners with Teradata.
      it_user525360 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Enterprise Programmes Architect at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
      It is the core of our fundamental real-time reporting and operational planning.
      • "It effectively has allowed us to remove over 20 portion copies of the data sets on other DB platforms for real-time operational reporting purposes."
      • "The increasing volumes of data demand more and more performance."

What is most valuable?

Each has its strengths and weaknesses; this is why we use a blended environment. We have a holistic view which is very mature and thus, it is impossible to give a concise answer.

However, converting the Teradata from a pure BI to an ODS has been our greatest achievement; it effectively has allowed us to remove over 20 portion copies of the data sets on other DB platforms for real-time operational reporting purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

It is the core of our fundamental real-time reporting and operational planning. It has saved us over eight figures in the operational run costs, improved data quality and consistency as well as reduced our overall infrastructure support requirements.

What needs improvement?

The increasing volumes of data demand more and more performance. I truly believe that in five years, we will breach the effective limits of Teradata to perform in a multi-petabyte environment, i.e., without significant changes to its underlying architecture. If this occurs, we will be forced to migrate to a more traditional platform (such as IBM Informix).

We have aggressively been using BI for over 20 years, with this evolving environment. Our most recent setup was about three years ago.

We have a broad range of BI and reporting tools, built on top of the Teradata Platform. It, currently, is the active Data Warehouse on 12.x , although we are migrating to 13.x after the New Year. This is supported by our IBM Congos (12), MicroStrategy (10) and the QlikView (12) reporting tools. We have also built extensive analytics on a Java base as well as some Microsoft BI integration.

We have had stability issues quite frequently, but this is mostly with the Cognos environment, as it is growing beyond its limits in terms of the active user access. This is why we are considering migrating significant portions of our over 4000 users to a coded environment in place of the platform.

Again as mentioned before, there were scalability issues in regards to Cognos and the over 4000 users in a single active environment.

Our in-house team is world-class, so we are not reliant on any external support.

We have moved from a distributed heterogeneous to a centralized homogeneous environment. Costs, data quality, sharing of information, and supportability were the reasons as to why we switched over to Teradata.

The setup took place too long ago to remember.

Negotiate, negotiate, and negotiate some more. But long before you start to have a clear understanding of your direction, use patterns and check the roles that BI plays in the organization. Make sure you have the in-house skills to design and support the solution, as relying on external sources is extremely costly and tends to lock you into specific platforms, tools, and paradigms.

We did a six-month review of potential candidates and options. Every three to five years, we re-evaluate the selection criteria and re-open the solution's design with an invitation to the vendors to offer an alternative. The process consumes about three months, but it has allowed us to keep current and, more importantly, to leverage off the process so as to ensure that we are getting the best value for our money.

What other advice do I have?

This comes back to understanding the what, why, and how of the solution. Once you understand that, then plan it accordingly and ensure you have sufficient time to address any of the surprises that could occur.

Each tool fills a niche and is used accordingly. I doubt if there is anything perfect out there, as each tool has its own considerations when being deployed.

Our greatest concern with Teradata is the performance impact of the OUTER RIGHT JOINS across a petabyte environment.

it_user689559 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Senior IT Business Analyst at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
      • "Viewpoint, the detailed query logs and performance statistics are valuable features."
      • "The SQL Assistant is very basic. This tool can be improved for usability."

What is most valuable?

Viewpoint, the detailed query logs and performance statistics are valuable features. As a specialist for Teradata Performance, I find this data valuable for system tuning and query tuning.

How has it helped my organization?

Our enterprise data warehouse (EDW) runs on Teradata and it is the single version of truth for management decision-making and reporting.

What needs improvement?

The SQL Assistant is very basic. This tool can be improved for usability.

I have used this solution for around ten years.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Technical support is good.

We have used Teradata since day one.

The setup was complex, but the work was outsourced to the Teradata Professional Services.

Teradata is not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

A cost-benefit analysis (CBA) needs to be done by the customers so as to make sure it serves the intended purpose.

What other advice do I have?

Have a long-term vision, the ROI will not come in the short-term.

Project Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      We now have faster query response times.

What is most valuable?

Throttle

Columnar

How has it helped my organization?

Faster query response time.

What needs improvement?

Concurrency is still a challenge, pricing is still high.

Three years.

None.

6/10

6/10

Oracle. We switched because of TD distributed architecture and it is the best product for EDW.

Done by Teradata PS.

Teradata PS.

it_user291063 - PeerSpot reviewer
      Lead Teradata DBA at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      It's complex in terms of physical data modeling, but it can process large amounts of data quickly.

What is most valuable?

• The ability to process large amounts of data very quickly
      • Its adaptability

How has it helped my organization?

Our business processes are much more efficient with Teradata's speed.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see better processing on a transactional level and star schema optimization.

I've been using it for 13 years.

It's excellent, 10/10.

It's excellent, 10/10.

No other previous solution for these applications was used.

It's complex in terms of physical data modeling.

We used a hybrid team of both in-house staff, and a vendor team.

It's more than 100%.

It's not cheap but definitely worth it. It's been chosen by companies that tried cheaper solutions.

We also looked at DB2.

What other advice do I have?

Know your data.

it_user263427 - PeerSpot reviewer
      EDW Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Query tuning is simple, but this is a costly solution.

Valuable Features:

• It is simple for me as a developer
      • Query tuning is simple.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's simple to use and scalable.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for eight years.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Implementation Team:

We used a vendor team who were 7/10.

ROI:

The speed has been increased.

Other Solutions Considered:

We also looked at Hadoop.

Other Advice:

It's simple but costly. However, this doesn't concern me as I have to develop applications. My employer can give me any product and I will learn and develop with it.  Almost all database products are 80% same.

it_user108795 - PeerSpot reviewer
      it_user108795Business Proces Analyst with 10,001+ employees
      User

It's not that simple. Everytime you add data to a table (extra columns) you might have to change or make additional join indexes. While other databases like IBM PDA or HP Vertica you dont have to do that, for me those require less dba work.

Head of Information management with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Working with Teradata, Cognos and Informatica is a positive combination of good tools but implementation can be complex

I have been using Teradata and Cognos for the past 8 years and Informatica ETL tool for 1 year. I have found that the analytical CRM functionalities from Teradata using Teradata database has been the most valuable feature of this product. It has helped the way my organization functions in that we build a data warehouse to have a single version of the truth with all the needed aggregations, and all the analytical reports are now using this database which leads to consistent data. Additionally, all the analytical reports are now generated using Cognos BI tool which is very powerful and the business powerful users can build their own analytical reports.

My company had previously used a different solution before Informatica and we are still in the transition phase, ETL from data stage. Before choosing this product we evaluated Informatica, Oracle ODI and our current ETL data stage. We switched because Informatica is better in terms of tool, support, and at the same time, because we bought Informatica data quality tool for the data governance dept after vendor selection process. During the deployment of Informatica ETL there were some performance issues but they were solved.

Regarding the level of technical support, I would say that for Teradata it is average, for Cognos and Informatica it is good. The initial set up for Teradata was a little bit complex due to some specific applications used in my country while for Cognos, it was straightforward. For Informatica, the initial set up was a little bit complex due to the different environment where the tool has to be implemented. We always implemented in-house but in collaboration with a vendor team and found that their level of expertise was good. My advice to others concerning Teradata, it is a powerful product to build a data warehouse in the organization, but take into consideration that Teradata is using its own hardware to have a good performance. I have found that Informatica’s data quality is the best tool to profile, clean and monitor the data.

Download our free Teradata Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
      Updated: September 2022