Teradata OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Teradata is the #3 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools and #5 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. PeerSpot users give Teradata an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Teradata is most commonly compared to Snowflake: Teradata vs Snowflake. Teradata is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 77% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a financial services firm, accounting for 20% of all views.
Teradata Buyer's Guide

Download the Teradata Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is Teradata?

Teradata is a multi-cloud data platform company that provides data warehouse and relational database tools. The brand has an extensive portfolio of big data analytic solutions, integrated marketing applications, and services. The products that Teradata offers can be categorized in the following ways:

• Software: The products in this category include Teradata Vantage, an advanced SQL engine and Teradata database.

• Cloud: The solutions can work with popular cloud services such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and VMware. Teradata Cloud and customer cloud are also included in this product category.

• Ecosystem management: The products in this section include IntelliSphere, business continuity manager, data lab, data mover, data stream, QueryGrid, and viewpoint.

• Hardware: This category includes backup, archive, and restore (BAR) and IntelliFlex.

• Applications: Master data management (MDM) and Teradata analytics for enterprise applications are the two products in this category.

One of the most popular and commonly used products by Teradata is Teradata Vantage. This is a connected multi-cloud data platform for enterprise analytics. The product unifies data lakes, analytics, and data warehouses, as well as data sources and types. The solution offers its customers scalability, which allows them to scale dimensions to handle massive workloads of data. Teradata Vantage utilizes artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) to power more models and enhance quality.

Through Vantage Console, businesses can benefit from role-based, no-code software to organize and manage their data. The product offers deployment on many popular public clouds, on premises, and on commodity hardware. Teradata Vantage unifies and integrates all data types from sources and provides companies with a single source of information. It achieves this by supporting all common data types and formats. The product also provides organizations with tools for monitoring, analyzing, and connecting data throughout the organizations.

Part of this product is also VantageCloud, which offers a modern cloud-native architecture as well as hybrid and multi-cloud deployment options. This solution offers new ways for clients to deploy their platforms. These include the next-generation, cloud-native architecture of Teradata VantageCloud Lake.

Teradata Features

The different products that Teradata offers have various features which facilitate data management for customers. Some of the key capabilities of the solutions offered by Teradata include:

• Connectivity: Users can benefit from connections to the mainframe or network-attached systems. The product provides its own extension for interaction with data stored in the tables. It also supports SQL.

• Linear scalability: Teradata solutions are highly scalable and linear. The solution can handle large volumes of data effectively while also supporting the ability to scale up to 2048 nodes.

• Load and unload utilities: The product offers features to move data in and out of the product's system effectively.

• Mature optimizer: Part of this feature is Teradata Optimizer, which is an advanced product that can handle up to 64 joins in a single query.

• Robust utilities: The solution includes multiple robust utilities in this category of features that facilitate data handling in and out of the product's systems. The tools include MultiLoad, FastLoad, and FastExport.

• Shared nothing architecture: This set of features, connected to the architecture of Teradata, is known as “shared nothing architecture” because the nodes, processors, and disks all work independently. These capacities ensure better value for a given task.

• Unlimited parallelism: These features divide large volumes of data into smaller processes that are executed in parallel. This contributes to the execution of complex tasks in a timely manner.

Teradata Benefits

Through its multiple solutions, Teradata offers various benefits for its clients. Some of these include:

• The solution facilitates prototype creation and offers faster times for completion.

• Through Teradata, users are able to use faster, simpler, and easier solutions for data-related tasks.

• The product eliminates the need for unnecessary data movement, which contributes to performance improvements.

• Teradata offers developers the ability to decide where in the architecture different parts of an application run.

• Teradata allows database administrators to manage databases from a single point of control.

• The solution provides the option to get the same data on multiple deployment options.

• The product supports Online Analytical Programming (OLAP) functions, which allows it to perform a complex analytical process of data.

• Teradata uses the Service Workstation to provide a single operation view for the multi-node system of the product.

Reviews from Real Users

Martin P., a services manager at Bytes Systems Integration, describes Teradata as a product that is very fast with good database control and excellent support.

Blaine V., principal at Insight Data Consulting, rates Teradata highly because of its excellent native features, highly stable, and impressive automation.

Teradata Customers

Netflix

Teradata Video

Teradata Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Teradata pricing:
  • "The price of Teradata is on the higher side, and I think that it where they lose out on some of their business."
  • "Teradata pricing is fine, and it's competitive with all the legacy models. On a scale of one to five, with one being the worst and five being the best, I'm giving Teradata a three, because it can be a little expensive, when compared to other solutions."
  • "The price of Teradata is expensive. However, what they deliver they are outstanding. If you're looking for an inexpensive solution to run a database, this isn't your tool. It's the Ferrari of databases for data warehousing."
  • "Teradata is expensive, so it's typically marketed to big customers. However, there have been some changes, and Teradata is now offering more flexible pricing models and equipment leasing. They've added pay-as-you-go and cloud models, so it's changing, but Teradata is generally known as an expensive high-end product."
  • Teradata Reviews

MartinPotgieter - PeerSpot reviewer
    Services Manager at Bytes Systems Integration
    Very fast with good database control and excellent support
    • "It's very, very fast"
    • "The setup is not straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We'd done a lot of replacements of sites. We've installed new systems with Unity support. We installed and deployed around about five systems for a bank in South Africa. When the old Teradata equipment became obsolete, we replaced them with new ones.

I was involved with the whole thing from start to end. You can't just upgrade Teradata. You have to see if all of the other stuff is compatible with the new site.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Teradata was actually the fact that it controls everything on a database. It's very, very fast. The way that it operates, the way it was designed, is quick. Not one other system, even IBM, is working on the principle of how Teradata is working. Teradata system is like a multiprocessor. In an IBM system, if you send him a query, the one CPU will handle it, and it will do the query and it'll send it out again. With Teradata, if the one query is coming in, you've got 12 CPUs and 20 hard drives; that query will be handled, at the same time, by the 12 CPUs and the 20 hard drives to store and subtract the information. It's just a totally different way how Teradata is working, and due to that, the performance of Teradata is extraordinary. There is no other system in the world that compares to it.

What needs improvement?

The setup is not straightforward.

I would like Teradata to get involved in South Africa. They aren't doing aggressive promotion of Teradata systems in South Africa. They really should.

I was dealing with the solution for 12 years.

I was doing professional services for them. They call it PS, and I've done customer services support for them, for the hardware and software support CS for 12 years, and as we grow, that time when I started, we were quite small and as the time we're growing, we are getting more persons on board.

Teradata
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Teradata. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability is excellent except for Unity. That time when Unity was installed, if it was running on passive routing, it was fine; however, if you're running on active, there was still some problem with the software. We've tried to put it on active routing every time we experience major problems with the software. When that happens, we must go back to passive routing again. When I spoke to someone the other day, they said there's a new app now. They're going to shut down Unity. There's some other application they're going to install now. They're not going to continue with Unity anymore, and that's not being sold to clients anywhere worldwide. However, there was definitely a bug in the software. As we were installing Unity, there were always coming new releases out, and we had to upgrade, and even with the upgrades, it still gave us problems. It became better, yet it wasn't ever 100% successful.

Otherwise, with the other systems, for all our other clients, the 12 years I worked for them, I had maybe eight or nine P1 calls, meaning that the system was down. The system is very stable, except when we started to fill Unity for the bank. Then we had a lot of P1 calls caused by Unity.

For the Unity side, we've had issues. Otherwise, with the other systems, for all our other clients, the 12 years I worked for them, I had maybe eight or nine P1 calls, meaning that the system was down. The system is very, very stable, except when we started to fill Unity for the bank. Then we had a lot of P1 calls caused by Unity.

We had 120 people in our organization working with the solution. However, our clients, depending on which account, could have thousands of users.

We get excellent, excellent support from Teradata. I had a good relationship with Teradata. I know all the guys quite well. We get excellent support. I can always phone them as well. Even if you log the call as the process from Teradata, if they tell you they will respond in so many hours on a P1, P2, or P3, it always happens when they say it will. It's not that I had to escalate something. However, they've been great overall.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

It's not straightforward. You must know what you're doing. If you don't feed the data in correctly, it's read like bad data, bad performance. We've seen a couple of times where we've done an investigation to understand why some of the queries are slow, and then we found out that the programmers made a mistake in the way that they've created the data or the query and that was causing the problems on Teradata.

We've seen this a couple of times. You can't be an IBM person and think you can become a programmer for Teradata. It's two different systems, and we've seen it several times. You have to know what you're doing when you do it, especially on the analytics side of Teradata.

To deploy Teradata, it takes a lot of pre-planning. It can take anywhere from two to four months. It all depends. There's a lot of stuff, actually, for the pre-planning phase, and that's one of the most important things. You have to do a lot of homework before you actually replace the system or you migrate the system. There's lots of planning that you have to put in place before you do that. YOu need a minimum of two to four months.

For the customer CS support for the hardware and software support, we had around about six engineers that were supporting all six systems and we had three people off-site.

Here in South Africa, we didn't use consultants. Sometimes, if we don't come right, we will log a call with Teradata and ask them to help us. That said, all of the upgrades and everything we've done it on our own without any problems. We had some performance problems on the systems at the bank and then we got Teradata to assist, which they helped resolve.

They've got various licenses. We would ensure that clients have all the licenses and everything for all the systems rolled out. That was part of the deal when we sold our system to Teradata. In the new system, subscriptions ensured everything was covered, or most everything was covered. The only thing we brought into the subscription side was the hardware and software support were separate. In the old days, you had to take the node support, hardware and software local, and the subscription and the bar support. With the latest models we sold, you just had the local support which you brought in and the subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I was the national service support manager for Teradata South Africa. I was in charge of all the sites in South Africa, Gauteng, and Cape Town. I was in charge of all the support services for Teradata.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's one of the best systems in the world.

Khurram Afzaal - PeerSpot reviewer
    Solution Sales and Lead Information at TechAccess Asia Distribution
    Good performance, flexible, easy to tune queries, and scales well
    • "The flexibility in design is very good."
    • "Teradata should focus on functionality for building predictive models because, in that regard, it can definitely improve."

What is our primary use case?

My current use case is an analytical system for an oil and gas company. They have a data lake and they are getting their data from different IoTs and different SAP systems. They wanted to have some feedback about their system and check on their production.

The IoT center's data was actually our use case, then how we can use that data to prevent disaster from happening. Previously, this work was all done manually. If there is a leak in the pipes then it is a large area to search because there are hundreds of kilometers that have been run.

To tackle this problem, they use IoT sensor data. It helps them to understand how the flow is working at a specific point in time, what happens when they're drilling the oil and other types of data. To complete the analysis, we use an analytical system or a Teradata Azure system that we designed.

The ECL was designed in a manner where we were doing the transformation on Hadoop. It is more like a balanced system where you use Hadoop for what it is good for, and where you use Teradata for its purpose.

I have worked in several different environments. The largest Teradata implementation on Azure was done by me. Right now, I'm working with AWS but previously, I have implemented both on-premises and hybrid deployments.

What is most valuable?

Performance-wise, Teradata beats everything.

The flexibility in design is very good.

When you want to tune it, it is very easy to do. I have worked a lot as a DB and I know that when there is a query that is stuck for hours, and you want to tune it, the task is quite easy. You can use the indexes and architecture, and exploit the power of Teradata.

What needs improvement?

There are lots of improvements that Teradata is working on and many that have already been done. However, recently I was in a session with people who are working on the data sciences side of the business. The data science group is not using the Teradata modeling features. Rather, they are using third-party tools for the prediction and forecasting models that they are building. Teradata should focus on functionality for building predictive models because, in that regard, it can definitely improve.

In my experience with Teradata, I have seen their sales strategy and that needs to change. As an organization marketing a product, they need to be cloud-focused instead of the on-premises thinking that they currently have.

There are a few things where you are totally dependent on the customer service and support from Teradata. This is an area where they really need to improve a bit, especially when you're talking about cloud service integration. Depending on the environment you may need to contact the AWS team, or the Azure team, or the GCP team, or the Teradata team. In all of these environments, improvements need to be made.

I have been working with Teradata for more than a decade, probably close to 11 years. I have been in the industry for approximately 18 years.

We are satisfied with the stability.

It is quite easy to scale. For a cloud-based deployment, it's even simpler now.

Previously, it was easy if we just wanted to add power but there was an impediment when you had to add a node. Similarly, it was difficult when you had to shift to the newer nodes. Now, however, with the cloud, it's easy to do.

For the on-premises deployment, a lot of people consider the initial setup to be difficult. Keep in mind, however, that Teradata is a million-dollar product, so they set it up for you.

For a cloud-based deployment, it is now pretty simple to deploy.

The price of Teradata is on the higher side, and I think that it where they lose out on some of their business. The price should be reduced to make it more competitive.

One of my clients recently tried to switch solutions but they have rolled back to Teradata. The same thing happened with another company that I know of in Pakistan, where they tried working with an IBM product.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is that they really need to hire the right people. Get people who actually have worked on Teradata to guide them.

You can buy Teradata and you can get it up and running, but until you hire a few good people, you are not going to get the full benefits from it. These people are not resources that you would ask Teradata to provide you. Rather, you can hire them from the market.

The important part is that you need to have people who have good experience with Teradata because they can truly exploit its power for you.

Overall, this is a good product. It is close to the best but I cannot rate it perfectly because of the price.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
    Teradata
    November 2022
    655,994 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    MedhaValvekar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr Manager at Cognizant
    Uses parallelism, provides lower TCO, and has optimizer, loading, and unloading features
    • "There are several features of Teradata that I like. One of the most basic is the indexes. I also like that it provides lower TCO. It also has the optimizer feature which is a good feature and isn't found in other legacy systems. Parallelism is also another feature I like in Teradata because when you are running or hosting on multiple systems, you have this shared-nothing architecture that helps. Loading and unloading in Teradata are also really helpful compared to other systems."
    • "Since I was working on the very basic, legacy systems, the memory thing was always a challenge. If Teradata is moving to the cloud, the space constraint or the memory issue that my company generally faces will eventually resolve, in time. What I'd like to see in the next release of Teradata is that it becomes full-fledged on the cloud, apart from better connectivity to various systems. For example, if I have to read or include a Python script, if I write some basic codes, I should be able to read even unstructured data. I know that it's not supported even in Snowflake, but at least semi-structured data support, if that can be a little more enhanced, that would be good."

What is our primary use case?

Teradata was mostly a control system for us where we were fetching the data from it on basic time intervals, on various DVs and various schema where we had to fetch the data. Reading was the main operation that we used Teradata for, but while reading, there were complex ENTs that we had to write because of a few data that was supposed to be transformed and then fetched, so that was the major use case for the solution.

What is most valuable?

There are several features of Teradata that I like. One of the most basic is the indexes. I also like that it provides lower TCO. It also has the optimizer feature which is a good feature and isn't found in other legacy systems. Parallelism is also another feature I like in Teradata because when you are running or hosting on multiple systems, you have this shared-nothing architecture that helps. Loading and unloading in Teradata are also really helpful compared to other systems.

What needs improvement?

Teradata is good, but eventually, my company is moving to a higher-level system. You wouldn't want to work on a lower-level system.

As for the areas for improvement in Teradata, since I was working on the very basic, legacy systems, the memory thing was always a challenge. If Teradata is moving to the cloud, the space constraint or the memory issue that my company generally faces will eventually resolve, in time.

What I'd like to see in the next release of Teradata is that it becomes full-fledged on the cloud, apart from better connectivity to various systems. For example, if I have to read or include a Python script, if I write some basic codes, I should be able to read even unstructured data. I know that it's not supported even in Snowflake, but at least semi-structured data support, if that can be a little more enhanced, that would be good.

I've been using Teradata for a year and a half now, and I'm using its latest version.

In terms of stability, Teradata is stable. All legacy systems are quite stable and do not have that much downtime, probably because no one would work with a system that is not stable.

Teradata is scalable, but it takes time because you have to increase the servers. On the legacy system, it's the physical servers that you increase and that takes time.

I don't have experience with Teradata technical support, because the client handles the maintenance. It's the client who reaches out to the technical support team in case there's a need to increase service on the Teradata system, or if there's any downtime or any glitches in terms of catching or loading the data, but that doesn't happen often.

Setting up Teradata took time. The server has to be set up and that takes time. Next, the IDs need to be set up and the role level security that the legacy system provides is definitely not up to the mark when compared to the cloud, so that is a concern. I'm talking truly about the legacy system. I haven't worked on the cloud part of it. It took more time to deploy Teradata.

Deploying the solution from dev to the QA environment, for example, creating tables, then copying over the data, are completed within twenty four to forty eight hours. It's the timeframe the DBA used to give, which is pretty high. With the closing features that we have normally, that would be a long time.

Implementation was taken care of by the client.

Teradata pricing is fine, and it's competitive with all the legacy models. On a scale of one to five, with one being the worst and five being the best, I'm giving Teradata a three, because it can be a little expensive, when compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Teradata requires maintenance, but the team in charge of the maintenance was not in-house. It was taken care of by an external support team. There are forty to fifty users of the solution in the company. I'm use Teradata on a daily basis.

I'm rating Teradata an eight out of ten.

Blaine VandeBerg - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal at Insight Data Consulting
    Excellent native features, highly stable, and impressive automation
    • "The most valuable features of Teradata are that it is a massively parallel platform and I can receive a lot of data and get the queries out correctly, especially if it's been appropriately designed. The native features make it very suitable for multiple large data tasks in a structured data environment. Additionally, the automation is very good."
    • "I've been using the same UI for 20 years in Teradata. It could use some updating. Adding more stability around Teradata Studio would be outstanding. Teradata Studio is a Java-based version of their tool. It's much better now, but it still has some room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Teradata is used for many use cases, such as clickstream, website support, and manufacturing control.

How has it helped my organization?

Teradata has helped our organization accelerate substantially the decision-making that happens.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I've been using the same UI for 20 years in Teradata. It could use some updating. Adding more stability around Teradata Studio would be outstanding. Teradata Studio is a Java-based version of their tool. It's much better now, but it still has some room for improvement.

I have been using Teradata for approximately 20 years.

The stability of Teradata is outstanding.

Teradata is highly scalable, it is excellent.

We have approximately hundreds of users using this solution.

I have not used support recently, but I have previously.

I previously used SQL Server.

The initial setup of Teradata is complex. The business layers on top of Teradata add to the complexity. The way the business uses Teradata adds to the complexity that the software itself doesn't necessarily have.

You can do an upgrade for Teradata in a couple of days. Deploying it is not difficult at all, nor is it time-consuming.

I rate the ease of setup for Teradata a one out of five.

There are add-ons that you can purchase, such as special features. Teradata likes to sell an industry logical data model that's customized for just about every industry they have clients in. That is an extremely expensive add-on, but it does give you a step up in getting your logical modeling created. They've also done some work towards being able to go from logical to physical in an automated fashion with that ILM.

What other advice do I have?

Teradata is being used on-premise, but we're moving to the cloud and I don't know that we'll retain Teradata further. We might be switching to the Google platform and their native databases.

Make sure that your data volumes are large enough for it and that you follow their standards. The modeling for Teradata is slightly different than anything else out there. Match your primary indexes if you can. These PI-to-PI joins are incredibly fast, even with massive amounts of data. I've worked on Teradata installations in the petabyte range.

I rate Teradata a nine out of ten.

Operations Lead at a retailer with 201-500 employees
    Good availability, good performance, and offers good value
    • "The solution scales well on the cloud."
    • "Teradata is a bit late for the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We used the solution for our data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

The availability is very good.

We have found performance to be one of the most valuable aspects.

The solution scales well on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Teradata is a bit late for the cloud. They maybe need to have some room for cloud improvements.

Scalability is limited on-premises.

The solution could use more AI support.

I've used the solution for a while. The last time I used it was two months ago.

The performance is great. It's stable and reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Teradata is a 100% stable environment.

In on-premise systems, it was a bit tricky to scale. However, in the cloud, it's very easy.

People are not directly connecting to Teradata. However, they are using reports that are fed from Teradata. In that sense, the entire company is using Teradata. It's more than 1,000 people.

I'm not directly connected with technical support from Teradata. I connect the local support here, and they are connected to Teradata, and on the weekends or after working hours, we get support and solutions. So we were happy with Teradata's and local company's support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

This product was already set up when I joined the organization. As far as I know, they were trying to replace SAP BW. There was an SAP BW system, and they were trying to replace it with Teradata.

It was easy for me to set up since I didn't handle the setup. Our local support company managed everything and prepared the environment, and handed it over to us. It was very easy in that sense.

We had a local support organization assist us in the setup.

We have seen an ROI. It's worth the money.

Teradata is not a very cheap solution, yet it is a good solution. You get a good return on what you have paid for.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user.

If new users are experienced database users, they will know the administration side is different than the other databases. However, it's almost the same for an end user, a developer, or somebody doing reports on Teradata on another database. It has some differences, yet the logic is the same.

I'd recommend the solution to others. I love Teradata.

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten.

I was happy to use it. I was glad to have Teradata, since, with Teradata, we can meet the requests of the customers, and it is highly available.

Test Engineer at cigniti
    Easy to set up and reliable with good performance capabilities
    • "I've never had any issues with scalability."
    • "Apart from Control-M, it would be nice if it could integrate with other tools."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the EDW.

What is most valuable?

The performance is the key item we appreciate. We're able to easily trigger jobs and we have access to integrations for running jobs. It's easy to use for the most part, which is why I really like it.

It's stable and reliable.

I've never had any issues with scalability.

The initial setup is pretty simple to set up.

What needs improvement?

Apart from Control-M, it would be nice if it could integrate with other tools. Specifically, with respect to the integrations with the automation tools, if that can be increased, and if the tester could be able to test more automation scripts in a better way it would help. The efficiency could always be increased.

Occasionally, at the outset of the implementation process, we struggled a little bit.

I've only used the solution for a few months. It hasn't been a year yet. It hasn't been that long.

The stability has been good so far. It's reliable and the performance is good. there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution seems to be scalable. I've never run into any issues with sizing. It's good.

I cannot recall the exact number of users that are on this solution currently.

Technical support is quite good. We used them once or twice and, as I recall, their response was always very quick. We are quite satisfied with the level of service they offer.

For the most part, the initial setup is good. We found it pretty straightforward. That said, sometimes, in the beginning, we struggle.

For us, the deployment took around two hours. It didn't take too long.

We had about ten members on the technical team that handled deployment and maintenance.

We are able to handle the initial setup ourselves. As long there are not some prerequisites or system issues, then it's possible for us to handle everything.

I don't have any direct details about the licensing or pricing of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using. It might be a previous version.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. We are quite pleased with its general capabilities.

Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    It has several redundancy options, so the system is always up and running
    • "Teradata features high productivity and reliability because it has several redundancy options, so the system is always up and running."
    • "Teradata needs to expand the kind of training that's available to customers. Teradata only offers training directly and doesn't delegate to any third-party companies. As a result, it's harder to find people trained on Teradata in our market relative to Oracle."

What is our primary use case?

Teradata is primarily for data warehousing at large customers, like banks, retailers, and government organizations. However, we don't use Teradata for Russian government organizations because it's a US tool, and the Russian government doesn't allow foreign software.

What is most valuable?

Teradata features high productivity and reliability because it has several redundancy options, so the system is always up and running.

What needs improvement?

Teradata needs to expand the kind of training that's available to customers. Teradata only offers training directly and doesn't delegate to any third-party companies. As a result, it's harder to find people trained on Teradata in our market relative to Oracle.

They should diversify their sales channels and develop more resellers. Teradata could also be more active in marketing because I rarely see any Teradata events in Russia. They've always had several regional conferences for Teradata users, but I hardly ever see marketing events geared toward new customers.

I've been working with Teradata for 11 years.

One of Teradata's biggest advantages is that it's fully scalable

We usually don't have any problems with Teradata itself. However, sometimes customers have issues with applications they've written themselves that aren't adequately designed to fully utilize Teradata's capabilities.

I would not say the setup is too complex. Teradata has a direct sales model, so Teradata employees usually set it up with help from the customer because they don't support a big system of resellers or partners. It's pretty easy because they are actively involved in the deployment. But later on, when the customer is expanding the solution and doing many things themselves, they make mistakes, which should be corrected using the support resources of Teradata.

Teradata is expensive, so it's typically marketed to big customers. However, there have been some changes, and Teradata is now offering more flexible pricing models and equipment leasing. They've added pay-as-you-go and cloud models, so it's changing, but Teradata is generally known as an expensive high-end product.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Teradata eight out of 10. Customers need a certain amount of knowledge to correctly use Teradata when running their applications on the platform. They should also keep in mind the requirements for Teradata's features.

Nelson Vargas - PeerSpot reviewer
    Business Intelligence Project Leader at NOUX C.A.
    MSP
    A great solution for business analytics, cloud products, and consulting
    • "It's a pre-configured appliance that requires very little in terms of setting-up."
    • "It could use some more advanced analytics relating to structured and semi-structured data."

What is our primary use case?

We resell Teradata, but not in the cloud.

Currently, our experience with Teradata in the cloud is theoretical as we haven't started selling it to our customers yet; however, a few of our customers are interested in migrating to a cloud-based solution.

Our clients use Teradata to consolidate corporate data to provide reports. These reports are required every day — it's more like described analytics.

What is most valuable?

Our customers are very happy with the configuration. It's a pre-configured appliance that requires very little in terms of setting-up.

What needs improvement?

It could use some more advanced analytics relating to structured and semi-structured data. In other words, there should be a process that makes advanced analytics easier.

The integration capabilities could be improved.

They should improve their marketing to make it easier to sell to customers.

I have been using Teradata for roughly five years.

Stability-wise, I don't recall any of our customers having a problem with Teradata. They have never mentioned any issues relating to bugs or glitches.

There are a few options that are very interesting related to the cloud. You can go into the same environment and add more nodes throughout it. As I mentioned, we don't have much experience with Teradata on the cloud, but I think it's the way of the future.

Their technical support is great. On a scale from one to ten, I would give them a rating of ten.

The initial setup is very easy.

Deployment takes a couple of weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Teradata to other interested companies. It's really easy to use thanks to the simple configuration.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Teradata a rating of ten.

Download our free Teradata Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022