We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Enterprise Cloud Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Supports major capability requirements, easy to install, and scalable
  • "The most valuable aspects of this solution are the integration with the darknet stack especially Microsoft, table groups, supports major capability requirements, and SQL always-on feature."
  • "The solution could improve by supporting more operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

SQL is basically a relation database, it can be used for any key-value related data models. Anything which is a table and column-based can be used. If you are an already existing SQL customer or a document tester worker, then I think it is common to go for SQL or Oracle. More present, you have Cosmos DB, it can be used as both SQL and NoSQL databases. This is the database that we are exploring today, and what we are using more.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of this solution are the integration with the darknet stack especially Microsoft, table groups, supports major capability requirements, and SQL always-on feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by supporting more operating systems.

In a future release, I would like to see more development on SQL servers on containers where you can manage a skill across multi-clouds.

I have been using this solution for four years.

We have more than 10,000 users using the solution in my organization.

We use Oracle products running in parallel with this solution but for different parts of our business. There are at times different requirements needed but most of the Windows systems work with this solution.

The installation was easy. They have a tool to assist with the migration of your old database to SQL.

We have a database team which is approximately 200 people. They do the engineering, optics, development, and operations.

There is a license required to use the solution and it cost $30 to do the installation.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution and we plan to use it in the future.

I rate SQL Azure a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
software engineer at a university with 11-50 employees
Great programming facility with good problem solving capabilities; very efficient
  • "The solution is efficient and easy to use."
  • "Lacks some tools on the SQL Server for data virtualization."

What is our primary use case?

Our core business is to make mathematical models for production and solutions. We don't develop or use software. The data comes with the Excel format stored in SQL and we write complex queries about the data and run it in our models. Our data is not sensitive and it's a matter of having a server for storage. I'm a software engineer.

What is most valuable?

SQL Azure is efficient and very easy to use. The programming facility is very good and the solution is great at solving problems.

What needs improvement?

SQL Azure could offer a lot more services and applications. I'd also like to see some tools that we could use on the SQL Server for data virtualization. That would be an improvement.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

We don't run critical data and haven't had any issues with the stability.

We have a lot of experience and good programmers and IT administrators in the company, so we haven't needed customer support.

Our implementation was straightforward and carried out internally. We have 10 users of this solution, the majority are in production and engineering, with a couple in software engineering.

Our license is pay-as-you-go and we pay around €200 per month. You need to keep an eye on this because with scaling the cost can increase quite quickly.

This solution is more expensive than some others, but not as expensive as Amazon, Google and Oracle, which all have a lot of extra costs involved.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution and rate it 10 out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about SQL Azure. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PauloPedro
Co-Founder & Managing Director at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
A scalable solution for storing relational data in the cloud
  • "I am very happy with this solution; right now, I don't think there is anything I would change."
  • "The only problem we have with Azure is regarding the price."

What is our primary use case?

I use SQL Azure strictly for active data rescue.

All of my work is stored in the Microsoft Azure Cloud.

I am working on a special product with another person — it's a secret product, so, unfortunately, I can't talk about it.

What needs improvement?

I am very happy with this solution; right now, I don't think there is anything I would change.

More power should be included between the upgrades. We started with a less costly service but we needed more power. We paid a lot and upgraded but we still needed more power. The power should increase more between each upgrade.

I have been using SQL Azure for three years.

SQL Azure is both very stable and scalable.

I have never had to contact customer support. There are several educational sites that I pay for that supply me with help.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It's online, so I didn't need to install anything. I just had to choose options and activate them.

How much we pay is determined by how much we upgrade or downgrade our services. If you downgrade the service you pay less if you upgrade the services you pay more.

Microsoft has a cheap license for developers. Still, it was expensive for us because we are not a company, and we don't use crowdfunding, we used our own money to pay for the license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SQL Azure to others.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.

Right now, with Azure, we have everything we need. The only problem we have with Azure is regarding the price.

Fabio Taddia
IT Manager at SIMOPARMA PACKAGING ITALIA SRL
Very collaborative, good stability, and no issues with the solution after two yeas of use
  • "The stability of the solution is very good."
  • "The pricing is very high."

What is most valuable?

We like the collaborative nature of the solution. It's the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The stability of the solution is very good.

What needs improvement?

The availability of resources could be improved.

The solution needs to offer online training to help improve the capacity of teams to manage the SQL.

The pricing is very high.

I've been using the solution for two years so far.

We haven't had any issues with the stability of the solution. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable for us.

We haven't had any issues with the solution, therefore, we haven't required any technical support. I can't speak to the quality of technical support as I've never dealt with them.

In the beginning, we decided to use a specialist to configure all the systems for us and the solution is almost perfect.

The price is very high, especially when you compare it to other solutions. There aren't extra costs, however. All fees are included in the licensing package.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers. We don't have any professional relationship with Azure.

I would recommend the solution. It's great.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I'd give it perfect marks if the pricing was more reasonable and if they offered better learning tools to guide our staff.

Private Cloud
Practice Lead at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Excellent security features and great auto-scaling
  • "Great auto-scaling and security features."
  • "Lack of flexibility for developers in terms of performance assistance."

What is our primary use case?

We use a relational database management system and 90% of the projects I've worked with have used SQL Server. We are partners with SQL Azure.

What is most valuable?

The main valuable feature is the auto scaling. In addition, the security features they've implemented on cloud make it a little easier compared to on-prem SQL, they're great. It enables added scalability, and costing can be tweaked and made more reliable, flexible and cost effective.

What needs improvement?

I think SQL could be improved in terms of ease of use for developers when it comes to performance. For example, enabling suggestions or auto-tune performances, providing results which are higher level recommendations. I know there are tools that performance analyze, but I personally find it to be overly complicated. If they look at performance assistance, add-ons or plugins that might help the developer, focus can be on business logic rather than performance. This is an ongoing issue for me and I'd like to see developers given the flexibility to change those recommendations, it would simplify things.

I've been using this solution for 20 years.

SQL's stability is dependent on where it's hosted.

If you're going into a cluster with multiple width or multiple SQL Servers, deployment becomes a little more tricky. In general, though, the initial setup is relatively easy.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution and I rate it an eight out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Data Analyst at a tech company with 51-200 employees
It is fast for replicating the data, but it is expensive
  • "It is very fast in replicating the data from one database to another. We do some extractions from multiple databases to a target database that we use for visualization. It has a good speed."
  • "It is a little bit expensive for us. They can improve the price. It would also be very helpful if they can offer some free trial."

What is our primary use case?

It is a transactional system. We use it to visualize financial transactions, such as cash in, cash out, in real time.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It is a little bit expensive for us. They can improve the price. It would also be very helpful if they can offer some free trial.

I have been using this solution for around three years.

It is stable.

It is very scalable. Around 14 developers in our company use it. They are responsible for business intelligence and databases.

I never contacted them.

I have used MySQL.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was not a big deal. It took a few minutes for features like .NET.

I installed it on my own.

It is expensive for us. We are looking for something less expensive and thinking of migrating the whole system.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SQL Azure a seven out of ten. In terms of experience, it is a very good product, but it is a little bit expensive.

RakshathShetty
Team Lead, Enterprise Computing Platforms at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
No admin overhead, stable, and scalable, but needs better pricing and compatibility with other vendors
  • "We don't have to manage it much. It is managed by Microsoft, which makes it easy for us because there is no admin overhead for managing the servers. It is also easily scalable. During peak hours, it can scale higher."
  • "We have a very small database running on SQL Azure. We have not been able to load bigger systems on it. It is still not something that is feasible. All our heavy-duty systems are on SAP, and it should have more compatibility with other vendors such as SAP. Its price can definitely be lower. It is pretty pricey."

What is most valuable?

We don't have to manage it much. It is managed by Microsoft, which makes it easy for us because there is no admin overhead for managing the servers.

It is also easily scalable. During peak hours, it can scale higher.

What needs improvement?

We have a very small database running on SQL Azure. We have not been able to load bigger systems on it. It is still not something that is feasible. All our heavy-duty systems are on SAP, and it should have more compatibility with other vendors such as SAP.

Its price can definitely be lower. It is pretty pricey.

We've been using SQL Azure for about three years.

It is stable.

It is easily scalable. We have five people who are working with this solution.

Their technical support is very good for SQL Azure. Basically, based on my experience, we usually don't have any problem with support for Microsoft products. If we are seeking support for something like Linux or something that is not exactly a Microsoft product, it is a little disappointing.

Its price can definitely be lower. It is pretty pricey.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SQL Azure a seven out of ten. It works like any other SQL database, and it is pretty good.

Founder at a tech services company with self employed
Stable, easy to provision and administer, and natural progression to SQL Server
  • "The ease of provisioning and administration is most valuable."
  • "It should have better profiling capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for business intelligence and analytics.

What is most valuable?

The ease of provisioning and administration is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It should have better profiling capabilities. Its price could also be lower.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

We haven't had any outages yet, so it is pretty stable.

It is scalable. We haven't hit any limits yet, but we're not running huge workloads.

We haven't had a need for technical support.

It is easy. I'm busy setting up another one now.

I did it myself.

I would like it to be cheaper, but comparatively, it is reasonably priced.

We considered Postgres in AWS as well as AWS Redshift and AWS Athena.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. We're very happy with what we have. It is very familiar because of our experience with on-premise SQL Server. If you are used to working with SQL Server, it is a natural progression.

I would rate SQL Azure an eight out of 10.