IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Sophos XGS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos XGS is #23 ranked solution in best firewalls. PeerSpot users give Sophos XGS an average rating of 8 out of 10. Sophos XGS is most commonly compared to Sophos XG: Sophos XGS vs Sophos XG.
What is Sophos XGS?

Sophos XGS Series firewalls combine the best of two worlds: the flexibility of a high-performance, multi-core CPU for deep-packet inspection, plus the performance benefits of a dedicated Xstream Flow Processor for intelligent application acceleration.

Download the Firewalls Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

Sophos XGS Video

Sophos XGS Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Sophos XGS pricing:
  • "The price of the solution is reasonable and their target market is small to medium-sized companies."
  • "Once you pay for the Sophos XGS hardware there is no license required. There are additional costs if you want the support. We have purchased support for three years."
  • "I live in Bolivia and the price of Sophos XGS is high. However, they have adjusted their price a little over the past while but the price could still be less expensive to be affordable."
  • "The license for Sophos XGS is for three years, paid on a yearly basis. Everything is included with the license; there are no additional fees."
  • Sophos XGS Reviews

LauriLaanenurm - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network and Security Engineer at Datafox OÜ
    Easy to set up, easy to manage, and easy to scale firewall solution
    • "Easy to set up firewall product, that's also easy to manage and scale."
    • "What could be improved in Sophos XGS is its connectivity with Azure AD. It's best if it could work directly without using any servers locally, or in the data center, and this functionality should be made available in this product."

What is our primary use case?

We normally use physical appliances for office and virtual appliances for datacenter.

How has it helped my organization?

XGS is similar to XG series but adds new Xstream Flow processors that are used to accelerate various functionalities that are normally done in x86 CPU. Sophos will soon release SFOS v19 software which will utilize Xstream for even more functionalities like IPsec, SSLVPN, SDWAN and etc.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in Sophos XGS is that it's very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Authentication with Azure AD needs improvement. It would be better if it could work directly without using local AD server. For comparison Fortinet FortiGate allows to use SAML authentication with Azure AD and does not require any local server. It is currently unknown to me, if or when it will be implemented on Sophos. Local DHCP service also needs improvement. Windows DHCP service offers more functionality and is more flexible and easier to use. SFOS v18.5.3 added DHCP option functionality in the GUI - which previously worked only from CLI.
    Firewalls
    May 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Netgate, Fortinet and others in Firewalls. Updated: May 2022.
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been working with Sophos XGS since they came out. I cannot remember exactly the year and date, but it hasn't been so long, e.g. just one year.

It is very stable - have not had any issues.

The scalability of Sophos XGS is good. Normally we suggest the clients to use firewall as a service, since it gives more flexibility both for client and us, since usually we manage the client's firewall. There is a virtual version of the firewall which scales even more, since it can be upgraded to a license that offers more RAM and CPU cores. For us, it scales very well, e.g. I'm giving it the maximum score: ten out of ten. If a client is looking for a new firewall, then we normally need to consider as much information as possible (user count, weight per user, LAN throughput, WAN throughput, functionalities and etc). If a client wants to pick a solution for larger environment, then we also ask recommendation from Sophos to get the most optimal solution.

Positive

The initial setup for Sophos XGS is very easy. From cloud it can be deployed even faster, since it allows to create configuration templates.

The ratio of price and functionality is good. Licensing cost depends on particular model and required functionality:- It is possible to use the firewall without any license, but then it will work only as port based firewall.- Normally we suggest to use at least Standard License. - Licensing cost for single appliance or active/passive HA cluster is the same - only 1 license.- Active/Active cluster requires 2 licenses and performance gain is very small. It is better to use more powerful appliance.

We are Sophos Gold partner and mainly like to use Sophos XGS firewalls. If it a requirement by client, then we can also offer non-Sophos firewall solutions.

What other advice do I have?

There are multiple models of Sophos XGS that we use, e.g. we use both desktop  and 1U sized models. Sophos XGS can be fully cloud managed, and it's possible to deploy it directly from the cloud, that you installed the hardware, and maybe I have to use an ESB key, though I'm not sure. We haven't tried deploying it that way yet. The only difference between Sophos XGS and Sophos XG is the software version that is supported on the hardware. The difference will be when the version 19 software comes up, as it will not work on Sophos XG. I recommend Sophos XGS to others who are thinking of implementing it. I recommend for them to use it. Sophos firewall can be also used without additional firewall, but we strongly suggest using Standard license, which offers application filtering and IDS/IPS.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Datafox OÜ is Sophos certified Gold partner.
    Bhanu Brahmaji - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Network Engineer at Prospecta Technologies
    Sophos XG firewall is the Best protection and security Management, authentication, hashing, and encryption; unfortunately updating policies can create a lag meshing with administrators' environment,
    • "There are good KCL rules and policies as well as NATing rules."
    • "There can be lag time when updating an operating policy."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos XGS for web security and web policies, it's our primary solution. authentication VPN site to site, SSL VPNs installations. Sophos Firewall designed its extreme protection IT Rules and policies security level Authentication is good sometimes it's tricky and very helpful. Sophos Firewall delivers advanced threat protection to instantly identify bots and other advanced threats while defending your network from today's sophisticated attacks. current live user activities diagnostics to generate logs and objectionable site restrictions, daily reports are a great solution for the work environment.

How has it helped my organization?

With the increase in cybersecurity threats, this solution has helped us at an organizational level. We have always been hit by someone at the end of our desk or hidden somewhere ex:- spoofing attacks, a man in the middle attacks, and ransomware new era of cybersecurity pain full concept, Mail spoof attacks, all these have to improve DMZ and secure the firewall policies and server-client Antivirus solutions. Daily monitoring manually or trusted third-party vendors monitoring tools. finally, we are worried about how strong we are at the cybersecurity level.

What is most valuable?

This is a great solution for security, authentication, hashing, and encryption level. Sophos is good at ACL rules, Port forwarding, SDWAN route policies, IT Rules and policies as well as Natting rules. It's a reliable product to secure web securities. whenever we want we switch to the ports securely Heartbeat monitoring live user activities is great to execute on a production level. Bandwidth control sometimes referred to as traffic shaping is one of the best firewall features. Link aggregation and SD-WAN (Software-defined Wide Area Network) are great features for businesses that need multiple links to the internet. thank you

What needs improvement?

There are occasional issues when we update an operating firmware there's some lag time. Updating requires us to reboot the firewall, in this scenario 24/7 organization will be the most effective. In addition, I'd like to see more focus on customer support calls we were waiting for hours to connect with them. In some cases, Sophos's team is extraordinarily helpful to solve any issues in the firewall. Sophos needs to focus on customer support through a chatbot or call management quickly so we can find some help on the client side. Thank you

I've been using this solution for five years.

The solution is stable despite having to restart when we update.

The solution is very scalable and we're able to handle all the pressure in our organization. We have over 100 VPNs and it all works well, Authentications, port forwarding, and all kind of security levels are much appreciated.

Customer support needs to be improved. They're very helpful once you get them on the line but sometimes take up to an hour before we can speak to someone who can fix a problem. when a problem occurs at the production level we freeze and everything goes blank so a faster customer support call is much more appreciated.

Positive

The initial setup is complex. Sophos has some features like rules and policies, NATing, and PATing so deployment might take more time than if we were using an alternate solution. Deployment can take up to two weeks because every policy and VPN requires checking and that takes time. I've been working for the past 10+ years experience in network engineering and firewall configuration so we deployed in-house but we contacted Sophos for assistance when we needed it.

The Sophos or any kind of firewall is worthy to buy when we have dedicated servers and switches to implementation.

What other advice do I have?

There are some very good features in this firewall and also some areas that need improving. I rate this product seven out of 10.

Firewalls
    May 2022
    598,116 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Senior Technical Engineer at Infinigate Norway
    Reseller
    Highly stable, scalable, and priced well
    • "Sophos XGS that's a good firewall. If you use the endpoint, then you have what Sophos calls synchronized security. That will mean that if one of the endpoints is affected, it will be automatically set in isolation."
    • "In the new release 19, there should be the implementation of a cloud service that you can use to set up the IPSec tunnels, and the SD-WAN from the WAN dashboard, and then you can push that configuration out to every firewall that you have."

What is our primary use case?

Sophos XGS is used as a firewall to protect my home network.

What is most valuable?

Sophos XGS that's a good firewall. If you use the endpoint, then you have what Sophos calls synchronized security. That will mean that if one of the endpoints is affected, it will be automatically set in isolation.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Sophos XGS within the last 12 months.

Sophos XGS is highly stable.

The hardware is more scalable than the MSPs, you can have a firewall as big as your want. The solution is scalable.

The technical support in Norway is very good. I have had an excellent experience with them. However, I am the technical support for the Sophos XGS in my country of Norway.

We have very good contact with the Sophos SEs in Scandinavia. I think we're good.

When comparing Sophos XGS to other similar solutions they are 80 to 90 percent similar. But Sophos firewall has a web application firewall that you can license and use in the firewall. Not every firewall has that functionality. Typically you have to buy another client if you want the web application firewall but within Sophos XGS, you can have it within the firewall.

I have used other solutions, such as CheckPoint, SonicWall, and WatchGuard.

The initial setup could be difficult depending on what you are looking to do with it. However, if you only use it as a firewall, it's straightforward. You can make complex SD WANs and other configurations. You can do whatever you want with it. At home, I can just configure it straight as it is by clicking next until it is finished. If you have a complex environment then the setup of Sophos XGS could be difficult.

What other advice do I have?

We do not have any complaints from our customers and have the functionality that our partners and customers need.

I rate Sophos XGS a ten out of ten.

ErcanSonmez - PeerSpot reviewer
    Information Technology Manager at OPLOG
    Easy to use with a good interface but has been crashing
    • "The product was easy for us to install."
    • "It has recently started to suddenly block and crash."

What is most valuable?

The interface is great.

It's a very easy-to-use product.

The product was easy for us to install.

The pricing is okay.

What needs improvement?

We've had many problems lately. We're having issues with its firmware, now, and we are trying to fix it with the supplier, the Sophos supplier in Turkey.

It has recently started to suddenly block and crash. We don't know what will happen. We're not sure if it is the device or something else. We're trying to fix the problem with Sophos.

It's not extremely scalable.

I've been using the solution for six months.

I'm not sure what the issue is, however, it has been crashing and we're trying to find a fix or a solution.

I don't find the solution to be very scalable.

We have 300 people using it right now.

We're working with a Sophos supplier in Turkey. When we run into issues, we reach out to them. We're dealing with them right now.

The installation process was very simple and straightforward. It wasn't overly complex or difficult. For us, the deployment took about two days.

You only need two people to maintain the product. It's not labor-intensive.

I'm not sure of the exact amount we paid, however, compared to other firewalls, the pricing isn't too bad.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

We bought three devices from Sophos. We're just dealing with some issues with crashing right now.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

Potential new users should clearly investigate other firewall models. They need to be sure of what they pick before they pay for any solution.

Terry Cheung - PeerSpot reviewer
    Managing Director at TopSOC
    Quick to deploy, cost-effective, and reliable
    • "The solution is cost-effective and easy to manage."
    • "Support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy the solution for our customers.

It is a next-generation firewall. It has all the security features and operates as a next-generation firewall for the company.

What is most valuable?

The solution is cost-effective and easy to manage.

It's a stable and reliable product.

The initial setup is straightforward and simple to manage.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall coming across any missing features.

Support could be improved.

We've been using the solution for two years now.

The product is stable. the performance is reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I'm not sure about the scalability. I've never tried to scale.

However, it's my understanding that you need to replace the firewall if you need to expand.

We have more than ten people on the product.

The Sophos support is bad. It needs to be improved. they are not helpful or responsive enough. The system for support is not that good. Sometimes they are not able to resolve the issue.

It offers a pretty simple and straightforward setup. It's not hard to manage the process.

The deployment is quick. If you have the skills, the firewall may only take a few minutes to set up.

The pricing is pretty reasonable. It's relatively cost-effective.

There is a licensing fee the customer has to pay. The license is yearly. We have what I believe is a two-year agreement.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

The product is cost-effective and if you're not looking for high speed it's quite good.

RSSI at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Stable, simple initial setup, but lacking features
    • "The initial setup is straightforward."
    • "Sophos XGS could improve by having a Network Access Control(NAC). This feature is a basic function in other firewalls and should be added, such as Palo Alto."

What is our primary use case?

I use Sophos XGS as an alternative gateway and we are using all the new generation firewall functionalities, such as EPS and antivirus.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using the WAF functionalities of Sophos XGS which has helped the organization.

What needs improvement?

The SD-WAN functionality should be reviewed because there are some devices that don't work well. For example, in Palo Alto, the SD-WAN functionality is more efficient.

I have been using Sophos XGS for approximately four years.

Sophos XGS is a stable solution.

The technical support from Sophos XGS is good. We reach out to them if there is a serious problem. We have opened approximately four tickets with them.

I rate the support for Sophos XGS a two out of five.

I have used many other solutions, such as Palo Alto, Fortinet, and Cisco. Sophos XGS rates are at the bottom of the list compared to many solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I would rate the initial setup of Sophos XGS three out of five.

We have a team of three or four people who administer Sophos XGS.

Once you pay for the Sophos XGS hardware there is no license required. There are additional costs if you want the support. We have purchased support for three years.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos XGS a six out of ten.

Gonzalo Moreno - PeerSpot reviewer
    Owner at supernovatel
    Fast processing, easy setup, and highly reliable
    • "One of the main advantages of Sophos XGS is the processor. You don't have to wait a long time for when you are managing the firewall and the traffic is faster now."
    • "Sophos XGS could improve by having better integration with Active Directory."

What is our primary use case?

We work with two clients with Sophos XGS. One of our clients was replacing old firewalls, and they choose Sophos XGS. The other client has a new project that he's planning to move his endpoint solution to Sophos XGS.

What is most valuable?

One of the main advantages of Sophos XGS is the processor. You don't have to wait a long time for when you are managing the firewall and the traffic is faster now.

What needs improvement?

Sophos XGS could improve by having better integration with Active Directory.

I have been using Sophos XGS for approximately one year.

Sophos XGS is stable.

I have found Sophos XGS to be scalable.

The technical support is good. However, they should provide quicker support in other languages, such as Spanish.

The initial setup is easy.

We do the implementation of the solution and the number of people we need depends on the project. However, typically we have two people that handle the implementation.

Since COVID we have been trying to work remotely as much as possible. After the initial setup, the solution can be managed remotely.

Sophos XGS is a good investment because these solutions work for a long time.

I live in Bolivia and the price of Sophos XGS is high. However, they have adjusted their price a little over the past while but the price could still be less expensive to be affordable.

I have evaluated other solutions, such as Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Sophos XGS a nine out of ten.

Presales Consultant Information Security Services at Team Computers
    A good VPN solution that has valuable threat management, IPS and IDS features
    • "The most valuable feature of Sophos is the VPN solution. I also value their threat management, IPS IDS features and login features with single sign-on."
    • "Sophos XGS needs improvement with the threshold values. Other solutions have the capacity to handle more users."

What is our primary use case?

We use Sophos XGS in 15 locations with 15 firewalls for the XG. We dedicate one person to maintain the solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Sophos is the VPN solution. I also value their threat management, IPS, IDS, and login features with single sign-on.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see virtualization security included in the next release.

We have been using Sophos XGS for more than two years.

Sophos XGS is stable as long as the capacity is not exceeded, then it becomes slow.

Scalability needs to be improved by increasing the threshold value. The bulk capacity can handle 300 users, if you have more users, it does not work well.

Technical support is okay. They are responsive but limited with knowledge and need to escalate to the upper levels. It takes time to resolve issues.

Positive

The initial setup of the solution was straightforward. It is easy to use and convenient.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos SGS is a nice solution. I would rate this solution an 8 out of 10.