IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Sophos EPP Suite OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos EPP Suite is #28 ranked solution in endpoint security software. PeerSpot users give Sophos EPP Suite an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Sophos EPP Suite is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: Sophos EPP Suite vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Sophos EPP Suite is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
Sophos EPP Suite Buyer's Guide

Download the Sophos EPP Suite Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is Sophos EPP Suite?
Protect every user and every device from malware, spam, data loss and more with our Enduser Protection bundles. Only Sophos delivers best-of-breed endpoint, mobile, encryption, email and web security solutions licensed per user and backed by the best support in the industry.

Sophos EPP Suite was previously known as EPP Suite.

Sophos EPP Suite Customers
EK Services
Sophos EPP Suite Video

Archived Sophos EPP Suite Reviews (more than two years old)

Manager of Information Security at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good DLP capability, easy to set up, and the technical support is responsive
  • "The most valuable feature is data loss prevention."
  • "If we could bypass the first couple of levels of support when we have a problem then it would be easier and quicker when we need an issue resolved."

What is our primary use case?

We use EPP Suite for a lot of things including DLP, EDR, device management, and application control.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is data loss prevention.

The rollback feature that SentinelOne has would be a great addition to Sophos.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the Sophos EPP Suite for about six months.

Sophos EPP Suite
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Sophos EPP Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.

This product has been very stable and we haven't had any issues.

We have been scaling its use to other parts of the organization and so far, that experience has gone fairly well. We have about 700 people using it at this point. The users include administrations, first-level users, who are reviewers, and the support team. The security team uses it for reporting purposes.

Technical support is very responsive and also very timely in their responses. It does take time to get through the first, second, and third-level calls, but for the most part, they are timely.

This is our first EDR product.

The initial setup is very simple.

Our in-house team deployed it. We did have a conversation with Sophos on how to get it deployed and testing it in our environment.

We purchased a three-year license, which gave us a large discount.

I have seen CarbonBlack and McAfee, although I have not worked with them enough to know the differences.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing EPP Suite is to work with their integration team to learn the ins and outs of the product. They have got to spend a lot of time planning the process with Sophos, and Sophos has a team in place to help with that.

Overall, I would say that it is a good endpoint solution. I think that we're using every feature that they have. That said, I'm sure that there are some things that I'm missing.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Great DLP, very easy initial setup, and quite stable
  • "The solution's most valuable aspect, for us, is the DLP portion of the product."
  • "The solution has a strange technical support process where you need to move through all of these tiers before you can get to someone who can help you. They should streamline the process and make it easier to speak to the correct level of support from the outset."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Sophos suite for a lot of things. We use it for the DLP and we can use it for the EDR. We use it for mobile device management and in application control as well. Those are some of the main uses of the application.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect, for us, is the DLP portion of the product.

It's just a good endpoint solution. I can't say that it's better or worse than any other product, however, it has a pretty good feature set. There are good rules, etc.

That application, so far, is actually able to tell us if there are any issues with the machine and what they are.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if the solution is missing anything. For us, it seems to be covering our needs quite well.

SentinelOne has what they call a rollback feature. It would be great if something similar was added to Sophos.

We've been using the solution for the past six months.

We've only been using the solution for six months. That said, it appears to be stable. We haven't had any issues. There aren't bugs and glitches, at least, not that I've experienced. It doesn't crash. It's been good.

So far, we've been able to scale the solution quite well. In terms of where we are right now, it's scaling quite well to other parts of the organization, and the experience has been pretty painless so far.

We've probably got about 700 to 800 people on it so far. We have administrators, and then first-level users, which I guess are just reviewers or support, and then support teams. That's probably about it. The security team, which is what I'm a part of, too, has access to the solution for reporting purposes.

We've been in touch with technical support.

They're very responsive and very timely in their responses. We find them to be quite knowledgeable as well. That said, you hate everything with the first level call and the second level call and the third level call. However, for the most part, they're very timely.

This is our first EDR solution, I probably don't have much to compare it to.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was a straightforward implementation. Everything was very simple.

We handled the implementation ourselves completely in-house. We didn't hire any integrators or outside consultants.

I'm not sure of what our licensing costs are. There are two and three-year packages available. I know we took a three-year package with a large discount applied to it. I'm not sure if there are different tiers, like silver or platinum. There might be. I don't know what the differences would be between them if there are.

I've seen other solutions such as SentinalOne, Carbon Black, and McAfee. I've seen them, however, to be truthful, I can't really explain what I'm missing and what features these options offer instead.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a Sophos customer. We don't have a special relationship with the client.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

In terms of adopting this technology, I'd advise other organizations to work with their integration team and know the products in and out before getting started. They will have to spend a lot of time planning the process with Sophos. However, Sophos has a team that will help companies do that, which really helps simplify the process.

We personally didn't use them for the integration piece, but we did have the conversation with how to get it deployed, and testing, and all those kind of things within our environment.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Sophos EPP Suite
July 2022
620,068 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Security Manager at KIK Custom Products
Good anti-malware and filtering, but shows a lot of false positives
  • "The anti-malware and web filtering are the solutions most valuable aspects."
  • "The solution isn't quite accurate enough. It provides a lot of false positives."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint protection. We use it as an antivirus and for web filtering.

How has it helped my organization?

There isn't an easy way to describe how it's helped our company. It's just a good source of protection.

What is most valuable?

The anti-malware and web filtering are the solutions most valuable aspects.

The solution has the capability to detect and prevent attacks.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't quite accurate enough. It provides a lot of false positives.

For example, if you log onto the portal, you'll be able to see the endpoints. You'll see the health status, but when you click on one, you'll find everything right there, even though it might not be clear from the health status overview. The accuracy of the status needs to be better represented.

I've been using the solution for several years.

The stability is pretty good. the only complaint is the operation of the solution.

The solution is only capable of being used on a Linus or Mac. It's limiting.

We don't plan to increase usage at this time. We already use 80% of its capabilities and we don't plan to expand beyond that.

I'd rate the technical support as average. It's not outstanding, however, it's also not the worst we've dealt with.

I'm not sure if another solution was used previously. By the time I was hired, the company was already using Sophos.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's a typical setup. It's just a regular implied agent.

I don't have any information about the cost or how much we pay. I'm not involved in the finance aspect of managing the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Although I don't know the version number, I'm using the most up to date one.

I'd advise organizations considering implementing the solution to first consider their requirements. They need to know what they are looking for. There are a lot of vendors out there that offer many of the same features. However, if there's just one critical feature that's necessary, you need to be sure it will work correctly for your company.

You also need to make sure you are choosing something that is compatible with other solutions that intersect. We've had experiences where we thought that a certain piece of software would work with Sophos and we realized that it didn't.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Other
IT Administrator at Xavier University
Good central management of the anti-virus with very good stability
  • "The central management of the anti-virus features for our end user is a very valuable aspect of the solutions."
  • "The management console need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution on our endpoints for end-user security. We are planning to move to their new product, the XG.

What is most valuable?

We find it very good as a product.

What needs improvement?

In the future, we're looking forward to having a new synchronization firewall on the endpoint.

The management console need improvement.

I'd address the deployment side. If we could upgrade the deployment side to hand it off to the end-user, it would make it easier, as our campuses are far apart.

We'd appreciate if the solution could offer us assistance with a later deployment.

I've been using the solution for three or four years.

The stability is good. Everything is working fine at the moment.

The scalability is good. Our subscriptions are around 1500, and we have 600 to 700 users deployed. We don't plan to expand on-premises usage and will be moving to the cloud.

I was in touch with technical support last week, with the Phillippine country manager in Venado. So far, their assistance has been very helpful.

We previously used Trend Micro. We replaced it with Sophos. Trend Micro just didn't work for us. There were issues with the management file.

From our initial reporting, the system wasn't difficult to install. We didn't face any complexity or have any problems.

We need about four people for maintenance and deployment because we have different campuses.

What other advice do I have?

We're looking forward to moving to the cloud and replacing our existing firewall when we move to Sophos XG.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

MohammedMateen - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Administrator at Transgulf Readymix
Stops infections from spreading around an internal network even after the problems have infiltrated it
  • "Sophos EPP Suite has the capability to stop infections from spreading around the internal network even after the problems have infiltrated it."
  • "Sophos does not currently inform users of potential compatability issues with Windows updates."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is that many businesses are trying to make an effort to secure their IT assets more rigorously. Right now, in 2020, and last year, in 2019, a lot of businesses became aware of the incidents that are happening in digital media with security issues. There were many incidents involving ransomware, hacking attempts, botnet — all those things. This made the people more aware and scared about the security of their systems. That is the reason we are selecting products to try and provide the best security endpoints possible for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The main reason why we choose the Sophos EPP Suite is because of its capabilities to stop infections from spreading around the internal network once the problems have infiltrated it. For example, one computer gets infected. When that computer attempts to communicate with another computer — one client to another client — Sophos checks the behavior of the computer. It looks at what it is trying to communicate and what resources the computer is using. If it does something that is suspicious, like move an application that may be a virus, Sophos will stop the activity and disconnect the computer from the rest of the network immediately. It does this automatically without an administrator having to do or even be aware of anything. This is the main thing we like about the Sophos product. It is constantly monitoring all points and has the capability to detect and act on intrusions without other intervention.

What needs improvement?

The area improvement is something very specific. Windows firewall security allows an exception where the user of a specific device can turn the firewall on or off. We need to configure our Windows firewall security in an active directory via group policy. We do not want to allow the exception or for individual users to be able to make this change. When using Sophos, instead of doing this in an active directory, we have to create a policy on the Sophos portal itself. In the Sophos policy, we can indicate which port is allowed and which port is not allowed for the Windows firewall and how it is handled.

Previously, we were using ESET smart security which also has a Windows firewall base. We could control each and every link and port for everything. Like for people taking their desktop remotely, we could allow VNC (Virtual Network Computing) remote connections on a specific port only. All other ports are blocked from this type of access. This feature is something only ESET had. I am pretty much sure Sophos does not have this kind of policy available. They should make this adaptation. The rest of the Sophos product and the technology and utility of the suite is beautiful. I believe all network system administrators would be glad to have this feature.

What I would also like to see added is information about update compatibilities. This should be included in a notification for upgrades from Sophos as to whether there is any reason to update Windows for Endpoint or not. The problem stems from the fact that Microsoft is releasing these updates and the patches for security every month. A lot of those patches have issues and incompatibilities. After Microsoft releases the updates, they sometimes have to release a fix to the update with patches. They usually do this in the next two to three days. It would be helpful if Sophos did the testing of the updates to inform all their clients so we can be sure these updates are OK. Then, in turn, we can inform our clients if updates are compatible with their servers or not.

We deploy this solution to clients and have only been deploying it for several months after testing at our facilities.

I do not have any experience regarding technical support for Sophos EPP directly. But to compare that to the technical support from SonicWall, which I researched on the web, the technical support for Sophos is currently just as good. I don't know personally. From what I have read, they responsive and they are quick to give users a solution. They resolve problems in a few seconds or within five minutes or ten minutes and are as fast and as accurate as SonicWall support. Once we engage in the full licenses, then we'll be able to find out for certain how the Sophos people will respond to help me out for any incidents that we have.

We did not really previously use a particular solution — for ourselves or our clients — that will take care of all the things that the Sophos suite will as a unified product. We are constantly evaluating different products by checking out demos. We have used Sophos products for ourselves and with clients in the past but we still need to activate the Sophos EPP (Endpoint Protection Platform) for ourselves internally with formal licenses. We previously had a license and it is still valid, but we need to upgrade for more users.

The solution we are using right now with most clients is ESET (Essential Security against Evolving Threats) Endpoint Security. We are going to Sophos Intercept X to replace this. We had also been looking into how Intercept X works with the endpoint firewall including how well they communicate with each other and how that may impact our infrastructure. So I've been very interested in the concept of adopting Sophos. As soon as possible, we will get the licenses. About 250 client machines and 55 for our actual and virtual servers.

I very much impressed with the Sophos product called Intercept X. It is  a wonderful concept because it is protecting the end-user in a different way. It is working with a proactive model, not just an active model. So now Sophos will be actively protecting us before some problem is acquired by our systems.

Our current antivirus solution will expire on the 8th of February in 2020. Before that date, we will activate Sophos for our organization backup systems to do further testing. We are currently using a third-party product called Mimecast for email security. We still have one year on the licenses for that. So Mimecast will expire in 2021. Then we will be ready to adopt the Sophos solution that fills this need. We are starting with the Sophos Endpoint solution first, and in July next year, we will check how everything is going with the Endpoint solution and hopefully we will see everything is going well. Then we will move forward adopting additional Sophos products. We will improve like that, one by one, to unify our solutions into the Sophos Suite.

We are currently checking into the actual licensing costs. We are waiting for a quotation for 250 end-users and 55 service licenses. We are hoping for a reduced contract price by directly contacting the Sophos company for the licenses. Because we are in the UAE, they have a lot of connecting partners for Sophos already, so it is hard to say if they need more partners or that they will want to give a significant discount. We still think we hold significant interest for them.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Sophos as a nine.

AndrewOkamar - PeerSpot reviewer
Network & Endpoint Security Consultant at a tech company with 1-10 employees
A simple interface, good reporting, and easy to set up
  • "In terms of the Firewall, the EAP assist, the simple interface and the reporting features are quite good for clients. It's very easy to understand and to navigate the Dashboard."
  • "The support could be improved. The response times are slow."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for a variety of small and medium-sized companies for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

For the Endpoint Protection, there are a few different features that are great. The Sophos Interface has got a very good feature for the de-planning that protects the rear de-modeller. The firewall can be completely in there with the Sophos Endpoint agents that are being installed in clients in real-time. The Endpoint Protection also has new features with the EDI Engine. The Endpoint Detection and response won't quit, which is something that the clients appreciate.

In terms of the Firewall, the EAP assist, the simple interface and the reporting features are quite good for clients. It's very easy to understand and to navigate the Dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The support could be improved. The response times are slow.

Most of my clients are comfortable with the product and how it operates, but I'm sure there could be improvements that could be made.

The solution needs to move from small businesses to large enterprises so they can compete with the 40 gig Check Point. They need to build a product for that environment.

I've been using the solution for just over two years.

The stability of the solution is pretty good.

Scalability is a bit limited. There are times you are supposed to open up the APIs for other vendors or developers to plug in their product information. However, currently, Sophos integrates well only with its own products. It's not easy to integrate other solutions in order to expand.

Largely, I consult with small and medium-sized companies of up to 120 users.

In terms of technical support, sometimes you write the ticket, and you're afraid to pass it on, because they are unresponsive. That could be a combination of technical support and the guys in the field or the complex communication between two or three levels of technical support. They need to streamline the support so that there's less confusion between who will respond.

The initial setup is quite simple. It's very straightforward.

The length of time it takes depends on the deployment. It varies because some client environments are very small, so it can take a few hours, or a few minutes if you're good at it. Some deployments can take many hours or even a day depending on what you're considering and the environment.

You only need one person for deployment and maintenance.

I typically handle the deployment myself if I'm not bombarded with too many projects.

What other advice do I have?

I have clients that both use the on-premises and cloud deployment models. I'm a consultant and I advise the clients based on their environments and current needs.

Central management is one thing that stands out with this solution. Other products are now catching up in terms of offering central management. With Sophos, you can manage all the products from one central dashboard. You don't have to install different management consoles. The product is pretty straightforward for the average user.

You cannot choose a more complete Sophos EPP Suite, especially if you're looking for a secure environment. You can secure both the network, the infrastructure and the gateways and share security information. Synchronized security is something I would advise others to look into when they're considering a product.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

MiriamChahuruva - PeerSpot reviewer
ICT Director at a university with 201-500 employees
Scans silently, but the setup was complicated and machines started getting viruses
  • "With Sophos, the scanning of viruses and scanning of the disk is done silently in the background."
  • "The solution is not easy to use in comparison to other endpoint security solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for all our machines in our labs at the university. We use it for endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution is a challenge in terms of setting up the rules and managing them.

Since the solution runs silently, you do not know whether the antivirus database has been updated or not. I'm not so sure whether I'm even using an updated antivirus database or if it even scanning every time that I insert a flash disk. I just need that scan and I need to know it's happening. I'm not getting that.

Even if it does a scan, I don't know if hazards have been dealt with. For example, did it clean the disk after it scanned it? In other products, it's much more clear. There needs to be some sort of report that lets you know if it's running if it found something, and what it did with it, etc.

We're concerned the Sophos partners may not necessarily have the right skill sets to deploy the solution in a way that meets our expectations.

I've been using the solution for almost a year.

The vendor that marketed the solution to us told us that they were 100% sure that the solution would cover us in all areas. However, with the challenges we've had, I'm not sure if I can speak to the stability of the solution.

The solution is scalable.

We haven't been satisfied with technical support. We opened up a ticket which they closed without giving us a satisfactory answer.

The initial setup for us was complex. We had a vendor assist us and I don't think they had the proper expertise required to customize the solution in a way that would meet our expectations. Deployment took about two weeks.

We had a third party vendor assist us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

Our experience with Sophos has been mixed. They need to follow up with their local partners to ensure whatever issues their clients are having are resolved. At this point, I wouldn't recommend the solution to others.

I'd rate the solution five out of ten. Earlier, when we installed the solution, we didn't have too many challenges. Challenges didn't start until we started getting reports of people having viruses on their computers when Sophos was running, which makes me concerned that it isn't a secure solution.

Alex Clerici - PeerSpot reviewer
System Integrator at Tecnimex srl
Good centralized management and integrates well with other solutions
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to centrally manage the total security environment, including the firewall."
  • "I would like to have more logging features to help more deeply analyze traffic."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider, and this is one of the products that we provide to our customers.

This solution is used for endpoint security at our customers' production sites. We do have a few individual users, but the majority of our deployments are business customers.

We have a cloud-based deployment.

What is most valuable?

This solution integrates well with the other Sophos components. Together, they provide synchronized security.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have more logging features to help more deeply analyze traffic. This would provide us with more control over the products, incidents, issues, and so on.

It would be helpful to have more control of the devices attached to the desktop, giving us better visibility and manageability. This would help us to prevent Traversal attacks, where the user can plug in external USB devices, for example.

I have been using this solution for about five years.

I have had issues with respect to stability, but I think that the problem I encountered was due to an operating system issue. For example, when the operating system gets an update from Microsoft, sometimes an issue will appear that must be checked and monitored.

Generally, this solution is quite stable.

We have two or three people who use this solution in our office.

We have contacted technical support for incidents, and we have received good support from Sophos.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the environment.

For our residential users, the setup is easy.

For our corporate users, it is better to be introduced to the product through certification or online training. It is best to be trained before starting the installation.

Over the past few years, the installation process has changed and become easier.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Administrator Assistant at GEMS
Good support, easy to setup, stable, and offers strong protection
  • "The protection that this solution offers us is strong."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the phishing attached included in the firewall."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used to protect the network of our head office.

The deployment model we are using is on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The protection that this solution offers us is strong.

What needs improvement?

They should consider giving the devices for free when they are charging for licensing.

Normally getting junk mail and phishing in emails is a problem for us. We are protected with other solutions but we would like to see it in the is one.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is one hundred percent stable.

It is scalable and easy to manage compared to Cyberoam.

We have approximately one hundred and fifty users.

The technical support is very good. If we have any isses they are resolved quickly.

Previously, we were using Cyberoam with a valid license.

The initial setup was simple.

When we purchased this solution the implementation and support was included.

The pricing for this solution is ok.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
A pretty standard solution that includes an excellent Intercept X feature
  • "Intercept X is the most valuable feature in the solution. It's more or less pretty standard. The endpoint feature allows you to basically see what is happening, and stop a wide range of threats. It's been the most unique identifier for Sophos."
  • "Deployment and central management need to be improved."

What is most valuable?

Intercept X is the most valuable feature in the solution. It's more or less pretty standard. The endpoint feature allows you to basically see what is happening, and stop a wide range of threats. It's been the most unique identifier for Sophos.

What needs improvement?

Deployment and central management need to be improved.

In the next release, the solution should add anti-spam. They should add a plugin and or a browser plugin for security.

What other advice do I have?

We're Sophos resellers.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's not 100% perfect, but it's a good product.

IT Administrator at JNCI
Reseller
Simple to use for VPN threat management
  • "If you want something simple to work with, Sophos makes it very simple for you to use."
  • "If you are not an IT expert, the solution is difficult to use."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for VPN threat management.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is that this solution is pretty simple compared to Fortinet, which we used before we upgraded. It's really simple to use.

What needs improvement?

If you are not an IT expert, the solution is difficult to use. So it needs to be simpler for a non-IT person so that when you have an issue, you can you know that the solution is just a click away. Except for the more advanced things. So in terms of usage, the management tools, monitoring, and dashboard should be easier to use.

I've been using the solution for two years now.

I've used Cyberoam and SonicWall, but I still prefer Sophos.

The price of this program is okay compared to Cyberoam, SonicWall and the rest.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten. I strongly recommend it to others. If you want something simple to work with, Sophos makes it very simple for you to use. From the implementation to the end.

ICT manager at oosterhof holman
An all-in-one suite of tools that can makes our infrastructure more secure
  • "So easy to deploy and use that you really don't even need their technical support."
  • "Configuring notifications is lagging a bit behind the curve as the product should be able to direct exactly where any notification type is sent."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is the main service and really the name of the product: Endpoint Protection. It's a firewall, it has antivirus protection and we use it for the encryption of our disks. It's also our web protection to keep out browser intrusion or infections.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made our infrastructure more secure.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable things are very simple. I like the ease of deployment. Intercept X has very good ransomware detection and rollback capabilities.

What needs improvement?

Part of the product that can be improved is the detection of other antivirus software. We had some trouble one time installing the product because there was a third-party antivirus product that we needed to remove before we could install Sophos. That detection in the installer could be better. It can easily be solved but does not have to be a problem in the first place.

Pricing could be improved because it is a bit expensive.

It would be nice if there were more capability to configure the notifications. We do get some notifications when a virus is detected or something is wrong, but we get notifications that the machine has to be restarted or other issues that should be handled by different people or different departments. There should be some distinction as to which notification type we want to send to a particular destination. That's something that should definitely be better in an enterprise solution.

We have been using this solution for about eight months

The product is very stable. We never experience any downtime.

Sophos EPP is very scalable. We currently have 200 users and there is never a problem with meeting those demands. The product only solves problems and we can always add more users. We hope we have the opportunity to scale up as the company grows. Use depends on the number of our employees. Before we add more, we have to use more.

I really don't know anything about the company support because I didn't need them. I think that says something about the product. I know that contacting the support team would have been an option, but we never had to.

Before we used Sophos as our main solution we used Trend Micro. It was a good product, but after comparison and the vendor offering a discount to switch, we tried Sophos and were very satisfied.

Our initial installation took a couple of months but, looking back, it could have been faster. A little familiarity with the product and better planning would have made the setup quicker.

We did our own installation.

It was nice of the vendor to offer a discount because we were replacing another antivirus solution. This helped us make the decision to change.

There are also additional charges if you want to have the EEPROM Protection (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) and Endpoint Protection with antivirus. These additions can cost a lot more.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Sophos EPP (EndPoint Protection) Suite as an eight. I think there's always something which could be better, but I might not know what. Really I could give it a nine because I can recommend the product as an excellent solution.

Farasat Imam - PeerSpot reviewer
Pre-sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The protection is so much better than our use prior to using this solution.
  • "It is stable."
  • "Sometimes there are issues with the antivirus back logs."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for antivirus, mobile telephone control and for some other protection, as well.

How has it helped my organization?

The protection is so much better than before, when we did not use this solution. Our company had suspected a breach of information, so we installed this software for end users to secure the information. This created a safe environment for our protection of information.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the antivirus features. Furthermore, we are getting solid endpoint, and end user laptops and desktops. This solution protects from data loss protection, virus protection, and has a parental control to secure the network from other entities.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes there are issues with the antivirus backlogs.

It is a stable product.

It was not a complex set up for us. It is easy to install anywhere, and it is not difficult to do so for anyone on our team.

When evaluating a product, we have to see how it will integrate with our system. We have to see the capabilities, and how it will support us in the future. We also evaluate several other features, including the performance of the product.

We were using Kapersky Endpoint Security, but we switched to Sophos EPP Suite.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise using this product. It is a good solution.

Juan C. Sanchez Pignalosa - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO & Co-Founder at Advisor Consulting Group
It has excellent virus definitions, but needs a better process for server migration.

What is most valuable?

It has excellent virus definitions, a great support response from the vendor, and an integrated DLP that allows the administrator to know what is going in the network.

How has it helped my organization?

Our datacenter cloud services such as email, and web services for internal and external use, had to be protected with different systems and the web services where left really unprotected, since we used an standard IPS/IDS to protect ourselves from web attacks (from the outside) which nowadays are really sophisticated. Also, we had to employ many work hours to have a protected, standardized network. With Sophos EndPoint and Sophos UTM, we simplified and also protected our network at the same time, with less work force.

What needs improvement?

It could have a less traumatic migration from server A to server B, when needed. However, as long as you don't need to migrate, the product runs smoothly.

We've been using it since 2010, when we were looking for an SMB/enterprise solution. We've been using it with Sophos UTM.

The scalability for the Sophos EndPoint, depends on the actual growth of your network. I would recommend for its initial deployment, to be projected for at least for four years.

This is where Sophos outclasses every other vendor. They have grown so much throughout the last four to five years, but they have grown in their capability to attend support cases. We've had some really advanced cases, and we have never been left forgotten or left behind.

We previouslyt used Hauri AntiVirus without much luck. We commercialized it and supported it, and we even became their main distributor for a specific region, but they couldn't handle most support cases, and one virus in specific, Conficker, in 2009-2010.

After this incident, we did some market research, and the most powerful engine to cure these kinds of events, was Sophos. Their support was, and still is, the best of breed.

The initial setup is straightforward. Sophos is well known in the market for being a unique and powerful tool, but is simple to deploy and manage. This is what makes them different from any other vendor. When the admin has to enable initial policies, it is done in three to four clicks.

We always deploy by ourselves, so that way we can test how the customer will see the initial implementation. Our main advice, is to read the manual, and follow the wizards that comes with each tool. Also, it is strongly recommended to have a professional firm contracted for the initial setup, and support, as we are, to design, and help with any kind of implementation issues.

The ROI is in 12-16 months, since with this kind of tool, we deliver the best of breed protection, and increment the focus of the end user, in being productive.

I recommend you get the three year licenses, since Sophos offers three years for the price of two. I would also recommend that you acquire any Sophos Licensing with Professional Services added, that way, you'll have the best experience possible.

What other advice do I have?

They have supported our business venture since 2010, and will do for many years. We have studied closely the different product portfolio, and each one of them, are carefully developed.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have been a Gold Partner since 2010. Sophos has demonstrated through the years to be impeccable at the time of referring leads, and helping us as committed channel partners, to close several deals.
it_user326337 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user326337Customer Success Manager at IT Central Station

Juan, which improvements would you like to see in the server migration process that would solve some of the difficulties you've been having with the process?

Download our free Sophos EPP Suite Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022