IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

Solr OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Solr is #7 ranked solution in top Search as a Service vendors. PeerSpot users give Solr an average rating of 8 out of 10. Solr is most commonly compared to Amazon Kendra: Solr vs Amazon Kendra. Solr is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.

Download the Search as a Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is Solr?
Solr is highly reliable, scalable and fault tolerant, providing distributed indexing, replication and load-balanced querying, automated failover and recovery, centralized configuration and more. Solr powers the search and navigation features of many of the world's largest internet sites.
Solr Customers
eHarmony, Sears, StubHub, Best Buy, Instagram, Netflix, Disney, AT&T, eBay, AOL, Bloomberg, Comcast, Ticketmaster, Travelocity, MTV Networks

Archived Solr Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user803529 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer, Search at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Improves our search ranking, relevancy, search performance, and user retention

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our search ranking, relevancy, search performance, and user retention.

What is most valuable?

Sharding data Faceting Hit Highlighting Parent-child Block Join and Grouping Multi-mode platform

What needs improvement?

SolrCloud stability, indexing and commit speed, and real-time indexing need improvement.

Three to five years.
Search as a Service
June 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Microsoft, Elastic and others in Search as a Service. Updated: June 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Encountered issues with both master-slave and SolrCloud. Indexing and serving traffic from same collection has very poor performance. Some components are slow for searching.

With increased sharding, performance degrades. Merger, when present, is a bottle-neck. Peer-to-peer sync has issues in SolrCloud when index is incrementally updated.

Online content is available, but release cycle is relatively slow. Since it's open-source, there is no dedicated support to reach out to when there is a P1 issue.

No previous solution.

Complex in making system scalable and performant enough.

Elasticsearch.

What other advice do I have?

One of the best search platforms available today.
VP of Product at a legal firm with 51-200 employees
It has a powerful search syntax we use to find documents with specific attributes, but its memory utilization could be improved.

Valuable Features

We use Solr to index over 600k documents. It's very fast and has been flexible to use. The speed of indexing individual documents has been great. The most valuable feature has been the powerful search syntax that we use to find documents with specific attributes.

Improvements to My Organization

We now have a much more powerful way to search our set of documents and the open source price is right.

Room for Improvement

Memory utilization could be better but it is an industrial strength tool so some overhead is to be expected.

Use of Solution

4 years

N/A - use books and online forums for support.

Other Advice

Doing this again I would look at search as a service solution. The overhead cost of running Solr on a cloud server and the additional storage should be evaluated against something like elasticsearch. Rackspace has not had a search service, but if they did we would consider it.

Download our free Search as a Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Microsoft, Elastic, and more!
Updated: June 2022