SAP Master Data Governance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Master Data Governance is the #1 ranked solution in top Master Data Management (MDM) Software tools. PeerSpot users give SAP Master Data Governance an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. SAP Master Data Governance is most commonly compared to Informatica MDM: SAP Master Data Governance vs Informatica MDM. SAP Master Data Governance is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 74% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.
SAP Master Data Governance Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Master Data Governance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SAP Master Data Governance?

Your company wants accurate, complete, and trusted supplier data to master your digital business processes and business models. The SAP® Master Data Governance application simplifies the integration of supplier data residing in both SAP and third-party sources. It supports cleansing, standardization, duplicate detection, and best-record calculation. It then lets you synchronize clean and standardized data across cloud and on-premise applications.

SAP Master Data Governance was previously known as SAP MDG.

SAP Master Data Governance Customers

Convergent IS, CHIO Aachen, Dell, Hamburg Port Authority (HPA), City of Boston, Mozzart, Mitsui Knowledge Industry (MKI), AOK Bundesverband, eBay

SAP Master Data Governance Video

SAP Master Data Governance Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Master Data Governance pricing:
  • "The cloud solution is subscription-based, it is paid monthly or quarterly. If the solution is on-premises, it is a one-time fee. As far as I am aware there are no additional costs."
  • "We have an enterprise license. The whole SAP landscape pricing model is based on the number of users, and the number of transactions. The price could be better, there is always room for improvement in the price."
  • SAP Master Data Governance Reviews

SAP MDG Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Flexible with good reporting and a very easy to use GUI
    • "We've found the solution to be quite flexible."
    • "The implementation could be easier."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for workflows.

For example, in Turkey, some of our customers have different material quotes, material numbers, or material types. Everything is so confusing from the main company. It's hard to go over the old data. However, with MDG, they can see all the data in the system. It allows for an effective data workflow. There are workflows for all kinds of items, including materials, data, customer's financials, vendor details, ERPs, etc.

What is most valuable?

The solution's GUI is very good. The entire product is very user-friendly and easy to navigate. Normal users, not SAP experts, are able to get around the solution without too much trouble.

The reporting is quite good on the product.

We've found the solution to be quite flexible.

There's a workflow in MDG. What happens is, when you end it, the materials are created. However, in Data Quote Management, when for example, you make a project, to use later you can activate Data Quote Management, and set new rules. When you check it on the Data Quote Management screen, it shows charts and analytics. You define the rule, it shows you the materials that don't fit with your rule. It's actually good practice to improve your data. You can set the workflows however you want. The analytics are largely for CFO or CEO, and they can see all data within the charts.

What needs improvement?

The implementation could be easier.

The governance of master data is difficult, and consolidating the old data is really hard. MDG projects tend to last a minimum of six months, and this is largely due to the fact that there are too many rules.

The biggest problem in MDG is that you have to make rules and you have to set your rules very strictly and you need to prepare your data for your rules. If you don't, your old data is kaput.

The marketing of the product outside of Europe should be better. While it might be well known in places like Germany or England, it doesn't have the same recognition in Turkey. Our first MDG project was only two or three years ago. It's pretty new to the scene.

The solution is lacking configuration in one system. For example, there's a lack of country definitions, country tax category definitions in MDG, and in all ERPs. When MM projects are done, they configure everything.

For example, my customer only does business with European Union countries. They don't define European Union country's tax number categories, however, when they deal with Israel, they don't define it in the old ERP system. It's a problem. You need to have a conversation with all seven ERP consultants and tell them to redefine this tax number category. It could be better, maybe, or easier.

I have a year's experience when it comes to dealing with the solution.

SAP Master Data Governance
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about SAP Master Data Governance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    658,157 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is quite stable. You need to ensure the rules you create are strict, however, the performance itself is good. If you are not strict with the rules, it's hard to fix things once that happens.

The solution can scale and is expanding. For example, in the first MDG version, it was very basic. However, in newer MDG versions, SAP gets some new business objects like Data Quote Management and analytics. They are continuing to build out the product.

Currently, we have around 2,000 users at this time.

We have technical support for our company. We can open tickets if we run into issues. Typically, it takes two to three days to resolve things. It's not too difficult to reach out to them. It's quite typical and they aren't extremely helpful.

For example, when we have a problem and we open a ticket to SAP, they tend to say, "You need to check this quote". You need to check it, yet they don't define the specific problems. They say, "Check here", "Check this", "Check this quote", and we check it and we try to find the problem. They could be more helpful in that sense.

It's important, at the outset, to be very strict about the rules you are setting, otherwise, you can lose data and it's hard to fix things.

In terms of deployment and maintenance, for a simple MDG project, it depends on what data a company want. For example, one project management person is for sure needed, as well as one senior manager, one senior consultant, two engineers, and one technical consultant for sure. This is the minimum you'll need for a team.

SAP tends to sell the customer the license, however, they make money on the amount of data.

The problem is in Turkey, there are economic issues that affect SAP's sector in Turkey. For example, five years ago, one euro was three Turkish lira, now it's nine Turkish lira, so SAP, now costs triple the amount, actually.

SAP is aware of this, and they do try to offer discounts, however, I don't know how much as I'm not in the sales meetings. It's not an aspect of the business I worry about.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an SAP consultant.

I would recommend the solution to other users. It's flexible and has a good GUI. It's useful for business processes.

Overall, I would rate the product at an eight out of ten. We've been mostly pleased with the results.

Puneet - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Manager at Capgemini
    Security mobile app provided , ample features, saves money, and customer service responsive
    • "Some of the features that I have found to be beneficial are the search and uploads functions."
    • "The UI could improve by being more neat and clean. Sometimes users find it difficult to use it."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is for creating and managing a Master Data across an organization. We implement the solution for customers to streamline the creation, inundation, and dilution of Master Data across domains, such as financial masters.

The main use case is to increase data quality by starting to create the right data with the right people and distribute it to the consuming systems. We want to enable users to be able to identify the golden record for all of a particular Master Data set. For example, to prevent a unique customer from getting mixed up in the use cases. Bringing in data standardization, to prevent users from spending too much time on the creation of the Master Data. This can be done via the implementation of business tools by the customer or sometimes the company itself, preventing the overload of data. Lastly, data enrichment can also be achieved.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization was able to gain more trusted data. For example, if there is a historical record of, five materials but on data profiling, we found that 20% of it cannot be used. With analytics, they can rely on the record of the remaining 80% of the data and it can be used as needed.

The crude operation, creating, reading, updating, and deleting are more streamlined.

There are data stewards who can take complete control of the information and the creation of the data which goes through them. They are the single point of contact to ask if a particular record is correct or not.

What is most valuable?

Some of the features that I have found to be beneficial are the search and uploads functions. The tool that allows you to find out the life cycle processing time.

The ability to see who changed values.

The configuration is not difficult technically, it allows many people the ability to use it.

It offers a standard security application to be used on a cell phone, this feature is good from a mobility standpoint.

What needs improvement?

The tools have been improved quite a lot over a period of time with data mining rules.

When using the solutions I feel the performance could improve.

The solution is stable. I do not see any challenges. We did have some bugs, but not to the extent which is in our regular business operation. We have always had the appropriate help to solve the issues.

I have deployed the solution for customers requiring the basics or on a vanilla configuration. I then deployed a customized configuration for customer requiring more. It is quite scalable and I definitely do not see any problems.

Some of our customers have approximately 100 - 250 users. Some of the positions of the people using the solution are requesters, data approvers, data receivers, and analysts.

The technical support we have experienced is good. They have been responsive for about 90% of the year.

The setup is straightforward but could be improved.

We have a team that does the deployment of the solution which took four to five days.
    Deployment is not too difficult but implementation involves requirement gathering, deployment, and then configuring and customizing the tools. It goes through the life cycle of testing which takes more time.

The customization was done easily, we followed a structured approach and we take into consideration the comments of the customers and we collaborate with them. It went well.

The implementation strategy we used mostly was a hybrid of waterfall. This means before we go ahead and even configure the tool, some requirements are needed to be formalized and signed off.

The solution requires maintenance after a couple of months, but it still requires attention, the use is like a journey. You are always making changes as the customers will change. This aspect will always require observation.

We have been able to provide better customer service because when you have the customer data sorted, you can better sell to your customers and the shipment are accurate.

We no longer have duplicated data on the systems, this is a saving for the company.

The cloud solution is subscription-based, it is paid monthly or quarterly. If the solution is on-premises, it is a one-time fee. As far as I am aware, there are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

The amount of time a user might use the solution all depend on the customer's needs. You do not create a Master Data link on daily basis. It can take a bit of time in a week. If your business has two domains and both are being implemented, it doubles up the usage and could require more attention.

I would advise others before getting involved in a solution like this to look at the foundation of their organization and consider their strategy before moving forward.

I would recommend this product.

I rate SAP Master Data Governance an eight out of ten.

SAP Master Data Governance
    November 2022
    658,157 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Kumar Saurav - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director - SAP BTP at Incture
    Provides us with seamless connectivity, an excellent data replication framework and continuous monitoring
    • "Validates all aspects from security to authorization and authentication."
    • "It does not ensure data matches after system upgrades."

What is our primary use case?

The continuous governance of creating master data is great. If the master data is unorganized or inaccurate, the sanctity of the transition data would not be intact. Hence, this solution provides continuous monitoring and governance for creating the master data. We deploy this solution on public cloud and on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The data replication framework feature is great. It has new aspects like MDQ and MDC that have allowed it to evolve to a better level. Initially, MDG was a one-party system where you create the data and manually copy it to other systems. Whereas with MDC, Master Data Consolidation, and MDQ, Master Data Quality, it is easier to consolidate across systems. Once data is saved via MDQ, a client can maintain its quality.

What needs improvement?

Although changes are currently being made to fix it, the product can be improved by ensuring data matches when upgrading to a new system because every system does not use SAP. Furthermore, the product has five different solutions with varying data models so stability is vital to SAP. Every time there is a connection with a new system, customization needs to be redone to ensure both layers can communicate seamlessly and data models need to be set.

We have been using this solution for approximately six years. I have two different kinds of experience with this in my role as a solution architect and as a consultant. I contributed to developing various solutions on MDG, namely, SAP Enterprise Management, SAP Asset Intelligence Workplace, SAP Retail and Fashion Management, SAP Retail RMP, Retail Mass Processing, SAP Service Management, SAP Accelerator on an MDG board and SAP Data Governance Accelerator. These solutions are available on SAP.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable and mature.

We have had a good experience with customer service and support. Previously, I played the role of technical support personnel for our customers, and we won a pinnacle award for three consecutive years for support parts. I believe technical support is beneficial.

The initial setup was straightforward. However, this is dependent on the skill of the individual setting it up. If the individual has previous exposure to technology, it will be easy. Configuring the product is straightforward as detailed configuration guides are available, and various scenarios are covered in the documentation. However, regarding change management where MDG has been infused into the landscape, it is more difficult to set up because of some of the process flows in the material. Multiple tabs and fields may make it difficult for a new user to understand where errors have been made. I rate the setup process an eight and a half out of ten.

Deployment takes a while when setting it up for the end users because it cannot be used directly out of the box since most clients have custom logic in their systems that must be incorporated. Hence, innovative implementation efforts are required because of the diversity in the landscape.

The pricing and licensing costs are reasonable because people often opt for this specific product since they understand its importance. Hence, the price is not a huge deciding factor when choosing the product.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of ten. Although other SAP solutions are available, this solution provides seamless connectivity. Hence the chance of losing data is minimal. Additionally, the solution complies with all industry standards and validates all aspects from security to authorization and authentication as applicable at the backend, providing room for easy maintenance. This solution is good but it does not ensure data matches after system upgrades.

SurenderJ - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr Manager at Genpact
    MSP
    Very user friendly with quality output; lacking some features we require
    • "User-friendly and provides customized reports and personalized data."
    • "Lacks some features that are available in other solutions."

What is our primary use case?

I work on the functional side of this solution. From an operations point of view, that relates to critical attributions, rules, the way in which data quality improves, and the way the tool governs activities with respect to different business stakeholders. I work for a global analytics and consulting company. We are end users and I'm a senior manager.

What is most valuable?

This is a high-quality solution and provides for proper governance. It's also user-friendly, and we're able to get a lot of customized reports and personalized data. It enables quality output so there's no need to have different applications to check data quality.

What needs improvement?

In terms of bringing out the data and resource performance, we're looking for a more enhanced version. MDG doesn't work for all material types of activities that I think it should be dealing with. If that were to change, this solution would be a step above other ERP systems. I'd like to see some planning-related activities included in the product.

I've been using this solution for three years.

The solution is stable.

We've had some contact with technical support and they are good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup is quite complex. It requires an initial step of data cleansing and data profiling. We used a third-party service for deployment. Implementation time depends on whether the setup is a basic one or something more complicated. The product master aspect is quite complex. The solution requires minimal annual maintenance once it's implemented. We have around 50 users in the company.

In terms of the license, I believe this product is at the higher end of the market but I'm unaware of licensing costs.

Pega has features that are lacking in MDG. Functionalities such as BOM, RECIPE, and the like, can all be collected and created. It provides data collection that MDG doesn't have.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution and rate it seven out of 10.

Other
    Senior Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Great for streamlining the master data management process and improving data quality
    • "This is an all-around good product."
    • "The documentation provided for the MDG extensions by Utopia could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This product is helpful for streamlining the master data management process, improving the quality of the master data. That's the typical use case. I'm the senior manager in the company and a solutions architect - we provide this solution to our clients.

What is most valuable?

I like everything about this product, primarily because I'm an SAP guy, and I've been working with their products for nearly 15 years so I'm naturally more inclined towards SAP. The company provides good documentation which is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

One thing that could be improved is the documentation provided for the MDG extensions by Utopia. I'd also like to see increased maturity around reference data solutions. The solution already has some key master data domains but it would be helpful to have a few more that are not out of the box.

I've been using this solution for several years.

There are different modules in MDG, and the standard ones are stable. There are sometimes issues when new releases come out.

From my perspective, the product is scalable.

The technical support is okay but we sometimes struggle to get the responses in a timely manner. It's generally okay, given that it's an established platform.

I'm not involved on the technical side, so I don't know whether the setup is complicated.

In my role as a solutions architect, I don't get involved in the procurement side. Different clients have different commercial models for buying the license and I'm not privy to that information.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend this solution and rate it eight out of 10.

Associate Partner at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    A good master data management solution for large enterprises

What is our primary use case?

We're a consulting company in the area of procurement solutions, where product and supplier master data builds the base for any Spend Analytics, Strategy and any Automation Scenarios. Majority of our customers use SAP MDG especially for Supplier Master Data.

Our customers are integrating their central SAP MDG with procurement solutions for self-registration and supplier profiling including supplier qualification, supplier performance and development. The central SAP MDG is also used as master data hub to distribute Central Master Data and Supplier Master Data into the different back end systems like SAP ERPs and Non SAP ERPs and others.

What is most valuable?

A good solution for large enterprises.

What needs improvement?

The price can be improved.

It follows the SAP standard rules and governance for master data operations and follows change and release management rules according to SAP standards for IT operations. It offers the full SAP administration and governance, and it's quite a stable and professional product.

SAP Master Data Governance is a scalable product.

Technical support depends on the size and type of company. Multiple support levels are available.

Installation is straightforward. I don't think there's a big difference between this and other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SAP Master Data Governance to new customers, especially large companies.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SAP Master Data Governance an eight.

Master Data Governance at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Great for building master data but lacks flexibility
    • "Useful for building master data."
    • "The solution lacks some flexibility."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a train company on the IT side of master data management. We are customers of Master Data Governance and I'm a functional consultant of master data. I implement the solution across our numerous locations.

What is most valuable?

The product is very useful in terms of building master data and in terms of our code. It is a very solid product and provides corrected data. This is a solid packet and a good tool.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more flexibility which is currently lacking. They need to add a cloud option as well as multiple creations. We're looking for a better mass upload.

I've been using this product for three years.

I believe the latest version is scalable and compatible. I don't have any hands-on experience as yet.

Technical support provides a good service for us.

We also use Oracle solutions in the SharePoint portal. Oracle is not controlled the way SAP is. Controls and validations are limited.

If you work in a well-controlled environment, implementation is easy.

Licensing costs are a little on the high side.

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution seven out of 10.

Vishal Khare - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable and integrates well

What is our primary use case?

SAP Master Data Governance is used for enterprise architecture.

What is most valuable?

SAP Master Data Governance integrates well.

I have been using SAP Master Data Governance for three and a half years.

SAP Master Data Governance has been stable.

I have found SAP Master Data Governance to be scalable.

We have approximately 500 people using this solution in my organization.

We have consultants that handle the maintenance and support of SAP Master Data Governance.

We have an enterprise license. The whole SAP landscape pricing model is based on the number of users, and the number of transactions. The price could be better, there is always room for improvement in the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate SAP Master Data Governance a nine out of ten.

Download our free SAP Master Data Governance Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022