IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

QuickBooks Desktop OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

QuickBooks Desktop Buyer's Guide

Download the QuickBooks Desktop Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is QuickBooks Desktop?

QuickBooks Desktop is a one-time purchase accounting software to be installed on your office desktop computer.

QuickBooks Desktop Customers

West Egg

QuickBooks Desktop Video

QuickBooks Desktop Pricing Advice

What users are saying about QuickBooks Desktop pricing:
"It is a bit on the high side, but it is affordable."

QuickBooks Desktop Reviews

LisaSwan - PeerSpot reviewer
President
Reseller
An easy to use accounting software at a reasonable price

What is our primary use case?

I have used this product for my own accounting business and my clients' businesses in various industries for 20+ years.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is for a low-cost comprehensive accounting package for a small business. It automatically provides industry reports without additional setup.

What is most valuable?

It is an easy to use accounting software at a reasonable price. It is built for small businesses to track income and expenses, track sales tax and inventory, pay 1099 contractors, create and send invoices and estimates, manage bills and accounts payable. It has built-in industry reports and industry specific features (e.g., progress billing for contractors or tracking donor contributions for non-profits).

What needs improvement?

The ability to integrate outside apps is lacking (compared to the online versions) and ability to download bank transactions does not work as well as it should.

NetSuite ERP vs. QuickBooks Desktop
July 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about NetSuite ERP vs. QuickBooks Desktop and other solutions. Updated: July 2022.
622,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.

All versions of Intuit products for 20+ years. QuickBooks Desktop 2020 for 2 years

No issues. I have never had a problem.

This product is intended for small businesses and allows for up to five simultaneous users, with a purchase of multiple licenses. If you need more users, you will need to upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise.

Intuit has some phone and email customer support, but it relies on its online community support center for asking and answering questions about the products. Anyone can answer questions in the community topics, so the information is not always direct from Intuit.

I have used Intuit QuickBooks Desktop Pro in the past, but it did not have the more robust features that I needed for my business. The Pro version is a good starting point for a small business that has simple accounting needs, but it does not have as much reporting or tracking capabilities as the Premier version.

The installation is easy and straightforward. The automated software setup will prompt you to select an industry type and walk you through the setup. Some companies will find value in using a QuickBooks ProAdvisor to provide additional setup for their company.

I have only implemented through an in-house team.

As a very low cost software, the ROI is usually met within in the first few months compared to more expensive software or a manual process (like Excel).

The price is reasonable and can be bought in-store or online. The number of licenses needed is based on the number of people you will have working simultaneously.

In comparison to Desktop, I have only used other Intuit products, i.e., Pro, Premier, Enterprise, and Accountant. I have used other online options, such as Xero, and feel that they are not comparable products to Desktop. For most small businesses, QuickBooks Desktop is the best solution. I recommend Premier over Pro.

What other advice do I have?

I would first evaluate if QuickBooks Desktop or QuickBooks Online would be the best option for your company. If you decide on QuickBooks Desktop, I would look to the online community or a ProAdvisor for help on setting up the best configuration for your company right from the beginning. Always start using a new product like this from the beginning of a fiscal year, not midyear, even if that means entering all the old data.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor in both Online Advanced and Desktop. I am provided with Intuit products at a wholesale rate and resell to my clients.
Managing Partner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Provides excellent tracking of my finances and is easy to use and deploy
  • "It gave me excellent tracking of my finances."
  • "The area that I don't use as much is the area about reconciliation with the bank accounts. I do all of that manually. So, the area that they can probably improve upon is just better reconciliation with the bank accounts."

What is our primary use case?

We use QuickBooks for our accounting.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave me excellent tracking of my finances.

What is most valuable?

I know it well, and it is easy to use. I know the online version, as well as the desktop version, and I prefer the desktop version. It's a little easier to use than the online version.

What needs improvement?

There are also a few little things that could be done better. For example, I'm running a 2019 desktop, and the support for it will go out of service at the end of May. They put these big red flags on your product that says you're out of the support window.

I have been using this solution for about 10 years.

It is good.

For my business, it's fine. Currently, we have four users. They include my bookkeeper, my accountant, myself, and my partner.

I have not used their support.

It was straightforward.

It was all done in-house.

It is a bit on the high side, but it is affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.